Page 189 of 197 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,670 of 5892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Province did do what it could for the Argos and CFL...Helping them build a stadium...with them primarily in mind.

it was called SkyDome.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Centre#Background

the argos had their publicly funded stadium...and they bunged it up.
    What a waste of tax payers dollars.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    The Province did do what it could for the Argos and CFL...Helping them build a stadium...with them primarily in mind.

it was called SkyDome.

Yes yes yes, thanks for saying that!

Also, Rogers & Blue Jays get way less stick in all this than they deserve. Rogers bought a publicly-funded stadium for pennies on the dollar. Were there no stipulations that they have to consider the Argos, for scheduling or anything else? They can just boot the Argos out of a stadium that got MASSIVE public funds, because they're thinking of putting in grass?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any mention of a so-called Argos clause in the stadium deal pegs this around a 2003 dated proposal by the Argos to build a 22k stadium.

Ha ha ha ha.

The team at that time was going through it's second bankruptcy under Sherwood Schwarz's sterling stewardship. When he chucked the keys on the table, the league took over running the team until David Braley took over the team. Oh sure, Cynamon and Sokolowski were purported owners, but Braley was underwriting their massive losses. They finally had better things to do with their lives and pulled the plug on this charade, leaving Braley to operate two teams publicly.

The Argos didn't haven't had a pot to piss in this century. The notion that they could propose building a stadium for themselves is ludicrous. The city had to know what financial fiasco this whole CFL thing has been in Toronto since the '80s. There's not a hope in hell they would have thrown good money after the bad business the Argos have historically been.

So why is BMO Field's image being tarnished with all this bullshit with the Argos? Get them into Lamport or York or Esther Flippin' Shiner and get out of the way of proper sports business getting done at BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I've been saying...BMO is no different that Exhibition Place... BMO in November for a Grey Cup. I was at the MLS Cup final at BMO... had about 5 layers on. Nearly froze to death.

"The main impetus for building an enclosed sports venue came following the Grey Cup game in November 1982, held at the outdoor Exhibition Stadium. The game was played in a driving rainstorm that left most of the crowd drenched, leading the media to call it "the Rain Bowl". As many of the seats were completely exposed to the elements, thousands watched the game from the concession section. To make a bad experience even worse, the washrooms overflowed. In attendance that day was Bill Davis, the Premier of Ontario, and the poor conditions were seen by the largest TV audience ever in Canada (over 7,862,000 viewers) to that point.[18] The following day, at a rally at Toronto City Hall, tens of thousands of people who attended the game began to chant, "We want a dome! We want a dome!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    This is what I've been saying...BMO is no different that Exhibition Place... BMO in November for a Grey Cup. I was at the MLS Cup final at BMO... had about 5 layers on. Nearly froze to death.

"The main impetus for building an enclosed sports venue came following the Grey Cup game in November 1982, held at the outdoor Exhibition Stadium. The game was played in a driving rainstorm that left most of the crowd drenched, leading the media to call it "the Rain Bowl". As many of the seats were completely exposed to the elements, thousands watched the game from the concession section. To make a bad experience even worse, the washrooms overflowed. In attendance that day was Bill Davis, the Premier of Ontario, and the poor conditions were seen by the largest TV audience ever in Canada (over 7,862,000 viewers) to that point.[18] The following day, at a rally at Toronto City Hall, tens of thousands of people who attended the game began to chant, "We want a dome! We want a dome!"
    Ya but MLS playoffs go through November and into December and the better team of the 2 finalists hosts the cup, Toronto FC can play in cold and rainy weather as well, if you hated the cold weather in the MLS final you can experience weather like that again one day, maybe even this year. If Toronto fans do turn up tho in that weather, which I expect they would, there would be no excuses for Argo fans complaining about weather.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Any mention of a so-called Argos clause in the stadium deal pegs this around a 2003 dated proposal by the Argos to build a 22k stadium.

Ha ha ha ha.

The team at that time was going through it's second bankruptcy under Sherwood Schwarz's sterling stewardship. When he chucked the keys on the table, the league took over running the team until David Braley took over the team. Oh sure, Cynamon and Sokolowski were purported owners, but Braley was underwriting their massive losses. They finally had better things to do with their lives and pulled the plug on this charade, leaving Braley to operate two teams publicly.

The Argos didn't haven't had a pot to piss in this century. The notion that they could propose building a stadium for themselves is ludicrous. The city had to know what financial fiasco this whole CFL thing has been in Toronto since the '80s. There's not a hope in hell they would have thrown good money after the bad business the Argos have historically been.

So why is BMO Field's image being tarnished with all this bullshit with the Argos? Get them into Lamport or York or Esther Flippin' Shiner and get out of the way of proper sports business getting done at BMO Field.
    Still no specific thoughts as to why this ground share is not working, eh?

Questions are still about two pages back now. Something more than the blue outhouses will come to you eventually. Looking forward to it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

it was called SkyDome.

Are we pretending that the Toronto Blue Jays didn't exist at this time and revenue from the 81 game schedule wasn't a factor in Skydome? And that Paul Godfrey who brought the Jays to Toronto, wasn't involved as a key player in getting this built?

I'm sure that you aren't saying that Skydome was built for the Argos primarily.

But I am sure the Argos were in the equation. Publicly funded stadiums seem to prefer ground shares don't they?
    Last edited by Pookie; 09-14-2016 at 07:04 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Are we pretending that the Toronto Blue Jays didn't exist at this time and revenue from the 81 game schedule wasn't a factor in Skydome? And that Paul Godfrey who brought the Jays to Toronto, wasn't involved as a key player in getting this built?

But I am sure the Argos were in the equation. Publicly funded stadiums seem to prefer ground shares don't they?

Maybe we could help them out and make their "We want a Dome" signs and leave them outside BMO for after the Grey Cup.

Because we're helpful like that.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 09-14-2016 at 07:27 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I don't know that much about television viewership numbers, but newspaper circulation numbers should be take with a massive grain of salt.
    Taking shots like at that at journalists and newspapers is really, really dense for reasons likely beyond your capacities...

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Maybe we could help them out and make their "We want a Dome" signs and leave them outside BMO for after the Grey Cup.

Because we're helpful like that.
    Better yet would be a banner, it would be seen by millions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos got the ball rolling.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better yet would be a banner, it would be seen by millions.
    That would require work for them to hoist it. I don't see it happening. Plus who would tell them its there?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Argos got the ball rolling.
    Ok. Official city documents cite the following as a backgrounder to BMO being built:

...At its meeting of March 7, 2003, the Board received a presentation about a proposal by the Toronto Argonauts to build a 22,000 seat stadium at Exhibition Place. At its meeting of July 2003, the Board received a report outlining a proposal from the CSA which in discussion with the City were proposing a 30,000 seat soccer stadium at Exhibition Place...

March comes before July right?

Anyhow, whoever pushes the ball first, it's clear that it requires multiple players to keep it rolling.

(Also clear what a waste of tax payer money these boondoggle corporate toys are... economists agree).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. Official city documents cite the following as a backgrounder to BMO being built:

...At its meeting of March 7, 2003, the Board received a presentation about a proposal by the Toronto Argonauts to build a 22,000 seat stadium at Exhibition Place. At its meeting of July 2003, the Board received a report outlining a proposal from the CSA which in discussion with the City were proposing a 30,000 seat soccer stadium at Exhibition Place...

March comes before July right?

Anyhow, whoever pushes the ball first, it's clear that it requires multiple players to keep it rolling.

(Also clear what a waste of tax payer money these boondoggle corporate toys are... economists agree).
    Dude, stop trying to "Win" the internet.
    All I said was the the Grey Cup and Argos started the conversation on a Dome.

You realize you're on one of the biggest soccer websites in Canada?

step away from the keyboard once in a while. it'll be good for your blood pressure.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    Taking shots like at that at journalists and newspapers is really, really dense for reasons likely beyond your capacities...
    Good on you Kurt for standing up to that. Dam if a newspaper was fudging its circulation numbers and an advertiser called them out on it, I am sure it would be worth more than just "oh we're sorry".

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dude, stop trying to "Win" the internet.
    All I said was the the Grey Cup and Argos started the conversation on a Dome.

You realize you're on one of the biggest soccer websites in Canada?

step away from the keyboard once in a while. it'll be good for your blood pressure.
    yep. Realize that. In a thread specifically talking about a ground share.

I misread your point I guess about the "Argos having their publicly funded stadium" already and your belief that the Skydome was built primarily for them.

I thought it was a direct quote. My mistake I guess.
    Last edited by Pookie; 09-14-2016 at 09:34 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I was a day one SSH. The sales person I spoke to, Asif, the first time I spoke with anyone from TFC ( not sure when exactly that was, I think I signed up on the internet), I'll never forget it, he was completely giddy from the interest level. They had absolutely no idea.
    As someone who had started following the budget MLS 1.0 in early 2005, and had watched the Lynx for a few years with sparse crowds in a decrepit stadium, it was pretty unbelievable. The one supporter's group (U-Sector, I wasn't a member) was about a dozen guys who tried in vain to create some sort of atmosphere in a soccer moms plus kids crowd. Nothing said "small potatoes" like going to a game where the husband-co-owner sells the tickets and the wife co-owner sells the hot dogs (they had some teenagers to sell the pizza)!

I didn't foresee what happened. MLSE didn't. MLS didn't. Nobody did. They even ran out of jerseys for sale before the first match. It was unbelievable.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That would require work for them to hoist it. I don't see it happening. Plus who would tell them its there?
    Or make it for them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    As someone who had started following the budget MLS 1.0 in early 2005, and had watched the Lynx for a few years with sparse crowds in a decrepit stadium, it was pretty unbelievable. The one supporter's group (U-Sector, I wasn't a member) was about a dozen guys who tried in vain to create some sort of atmosphere in a soccer moms plus kids crowd. Nothing said "small potatoes" like going to a game where the husband-co-owner sells the tickets and the wife co-owner sells the hot dogs (they had some teenagers to sell the pizza)!

I didn't foresee what happened. MLSE didn't. MLS didn't. Nobody did. They even ran out of jerseys for sale before the first match. It was unbelievable.
    I remember those days... nothing says Mickey Mouse quite like a team that played out of the same venue that I competed in for high school track meets. I didn't know that the ticket/concession sales were on that scale, though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure this belongs here exactly but, with the Grey Cup wanting the extra seats in the north end and with the expctation of a home playoff game or a few (fingers crossed) for us, is there a reason why those extra seats (temporary ones naturally) are not being installed asap to increase TFC gates now? Maybe we need to sell out before additions are considerd.

i recall the beach volley ball stadium just south of BMO for the PanAm games. Temporary but quite impressive in size.

Is there a restriction on space use where the North stand used to be? Or might it be that the payer for the temp north stands ( the Grey Cup organizing committe ) has no mandate to install sooner than later.

maybe this should have been a different thread....too late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    I'm not taking shots, sorry if it was interpreted that way. I have family in the Toronto newspaper game who know these stats very well. In their case they actually get undercounted. All I was saying is that there are issues with how circulation is counted so, to your point, I don't doubt at all that there are accuracy issues with TV viewership as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Diversifying the fan base of the league"- What do you mean by that?

People not supporting their local?
    People not supporting the Leafs, primarily. :-p

As in, anywhere a Leafs game is played in Canada, at least half the fans will be wearing Leafs gear. Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and particularly Ottawa.

Basically, I would hope for the Sens (or any other non-original-six team) to have fans in sizeable pockets across Canada, or at least secondary fans that would watch the Sens when their main team isn't playing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to re-iterate an earlier point:

The team at that time was going through it's second bankruptcy under Sherwood Schwarz's sterling stewardship. When he chucked the keys on the table - early in the 2003 season - the league took over running the team until David Braley took over the team. Oh sure, Cynamon and Sokolowski were purported owners, but Braley was underwriting their massive losses. They finally had better things to do with their lives and pulled the plug on this charade - seven years of pretending to be owners - leaving Braley to operate and financially underwrite two teams publicly.

The Argos haven't had a pot to piss in this century. The notion that they could propose building a stadium for themselves is ludicrous. The city had to know what financial fiasco this whole CFL thing has been in Toronto since the '80s. There's not a hope in hell they would have thrown good money after the bad business the Argos have historically been.

So why is BMO Field's image being tarnished with all this bullshit with the Argos? They are, and have been for decades, The Blocking Dead.

The entire eastern conference of the CFL has been a financial joke for decades. Ottawa has had two bankruptcies. Montreal has had two bankruptcies. Hamilton has been kept alive by Bob Young's football fetish. And now the entire enterprise is being propped up by a desperate TSN (Bell) madly thrashing to keep alive a sports property that it has heavily invested in.

Please. Enough with these perpetual pity fuck sports entities. There might well be boiler plate language about the Argonauts in the documents to get BMO Field built, but no one without a drug or drinking habit would have ever seriously entertained the notion that they would ever be able to contribute meaningfully to the construction of the stadium.

They have never had the money to do anything remotely close to building a stadium for themselves. FFS, they could barely afford to rent a portable construction-site office as their practice field dressing room.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 09-14-2016 at 09:28 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ you don't think that a sports team would have a proposal for a new stadium that included a ton of public money? Of course it probably did. like TFC or the Jays. It was probably 100%.

You think the CSA's proposal for a 30,000 seat stadium was all self funded? Even with FIFA U20, BMO was all public money.

Here's what I have learned from you so far. Argos dont have a lot of operating income. Got it. Attendance not as high as TFC. Check. Soccer played by more kids. Check. People on your street like cricket. Understood.

But anything on the ground share itself?

Like Trump's tax return, I'm beginning to lose hope that we will see something.
    Last edited by Pookie; 09-15-2016 at 06:08 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    People not supporting the Leafs, primarily. :-p

As in, anywhere a Leafs game is played in Canada, at least half the fans will be wearing Leafs gear. Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and particularly Ottawa.

Basically, I would hope for the Sens (or any other non-original-six team) to have fans in sizeable pockets across Canada, or at least secondary fans that would watch the Sens when their main team isn't playing.
    This is pretty much the opposite of what we want to see in this game. The way we travel for work in this country is what usually means the "diverse" support in Canada sports cities but I can't see this happening in Canada for MLS in a big way, thankfully. Mostly due to limited options and the age of the league but still.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

soooooo anyone go to the last Agro game vs the Cats and can give an update on the state of the pitch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heard a rumour about permanent Argos signage now adorning BMO Field. Can anyone substantiate?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StokeciTFC View Post
    Heard a rumour about permanent Argos signage now adorning BMO Field. Can anyone substantiate?
    I haven't noticed any.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StokeciTFC View Post
    I'm pretty sure those rumors applies for next season. We were talking about Argos signage on the south east grandstand a few months ago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm told there is now permanent Argos signage on the North West corner, similar placing and size to the TFC emblem on the North East side. Anyone living/working close or driving by able to confirm?