Page 89 of 197 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 5892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Hahaha
    Losing $5 million per year? With a hard cap of $5 million? Hmmmmm.

But seriously, that's quite a loss leader to keep the CFL afloat.
    That's honestly an amazing tidbit. I don't even know how that's possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Just as an FYI

If anyone want's to know more about SUM and the finances involved, there is a very good thread on Big Soccer called "the-szymanski-rebuttal". Some good SUM info gleaned from the USSF accounts that are published every year and the DC United stadium financial case documentation.

Well worth a read if you want to know more about MLS finances.
    Don't want this lost on the bottom of the last page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Hahaha
    Losing $5 million per year? With a hard cap of $5 million? Hmmmmm.

But seriously, that's quite a loss leader to keep the CFL afloat.
    It sure is. Of course, we'll never know how much revenue the CFL generates for TSN or how it would be affected by not having a team in Toronto. My guess is not nearly as much as they seem to think and I wish they had let the Argos fold to find out but this may be more of Toronto as the centre of the universe thinking from TSN and Bell - how could a Canadian league possibly survive without Toronto?!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't help but think this has a lot to do with the age of the men involved in all of this. All the people who keep saying I remember seeing the Argos at exhibition place...it has the same feel as guys who go out and buy fully restored pony cars to relive their youth or cause they can simply afford to now. John tory and other city politicians seemed especially driven by nostalgia trying to hold on to the storied history of a uniquely pan canadian sporting institution. It's sad though, it's like saying Pierre Burton is the voice of Canada or that the Group of Seven defines the artistic pursuits of the nation. What they don't get is the impact this has on footy going forward and on the CMNT. It's disgusting to read that the CMNT dressing room has been removed for the tunnel club. If soccer is a global voice, and the World Cup suggests it is, than I want to see Canada in that discussion. The way support has been building for soccer is this country and city has been great to watch. All the work put into it at a grassroots level, all the effort by supporters groups and the guys selling tickets seems at risk if the pitch gets destroyed or the CMNT is forced out. It seems they are giddy to snuff out soccer so they can hold onto a dated vision of Canadian sports by clinging onto the Argos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    It's disgusting to read that the CMNT dressing room has been removed for the tunnel club.
    Where was the CMNT dressing room at BMO?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Where was the CMNT dressing room at BMO?
    It's in this article...

http://www.wakingthered.com/2015/5/2...rontofc-canmnt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    someone might have more current numbers, but i believe SUM is worth $800M. MLS owns 75% of it. So $30m value per team.
    Most of the value is based on the TV rights jointly to USMNT and MLS broadcastings. $90m per year. So $5m per team. USMNT rights probably account for 95% of this value based on strong ratings for USMNT qualifying games. So, value of SUM will be determined by growth and profitability of USMNT broadcasts.
    Revenue from the Mexican team is actually SUM's key pillar. They get all the revenues from Mexico playing in the US which is why Mexico plays more in the US than in their homeland. 90k attendance in places like Cowboys & MetLife stadium at US level ticket prices is a gold mine. Plus, SUM gets revenue from US tv rights for the Mexican team. Ratings for Mexican team in the US easily swamp US team ratings (combining Spanish & English tv). SUM also used to own World Cup rights for the US up until mid 2000 but now FIFA sells directly to the networks.
    Last edited by mr k; 05-22-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All ground sharing concerns aside, if this team can't put it together on the pitch, and soon, it won't matter if we have the most pristine pitch in the league in 2016. Interest will fade.

Let's hope that the condition of the pitch next season is our secondary concern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    It doesn't really - all it says it was replaced by the tunnel club.

Like for example - when the TFC players head back up the tunnel - their dressing room is on the right. I'm struggling to place where the CMNT one was/ the new tunnel club is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    It doesn't really - all it says it was replaced by the tunnel club.

Like for example - when the TFC players head back up the tunnel - their dressing room is on the right. I'm struggling to place where the CMNT one was/ the new tunnel club is.
    Left hand side of the tunnel as they come up. There were CSA offices on that side too which are gone for the tunnel club and kitchens etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got news for you, non of these guys are top footballers, they're just guys ML$E massively overpaid for. In baseball terms they are "AA" players
    Bradley - NO
    Altidore - NEVER EVER, marginal MLS star
    Defoe - NO
    Giovinco - benchplayer/loaned out most of his time with Juventus (although you could make an argument for 2012)
    That's your opinion. I base mine off of their performances on the world stage and their teams ranking. Bradley is the key cog for the USMNT a team that competes in every single game and has a great reputation. Altidore is their primary striker. Defoe is still a known name and Giovinco is a known commodity as well.

The point is, who the hell is Ricky Foley, let alone the rest of the 50+ people on this list? http://www.argonauts.ca/roster/index/team/7/sort/last No one outside of Canada could name a player on that team nor would they care about them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC Tweet of the Day, the boy's riding the bus !!

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 53m53 minutes ago Simonin says he's about 10 days away from returning to training. I'm at the bus stop with him waiting to go to Downsview. #TFC

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw this article on the twitters http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...s-still-among-

Interesting read given our circumstances.

This part in particular given we are bringing this type of equipment in

“In the US we're way behind on these technologies,” he explained. “There's over 120 stadiums in the world that utilize [grow] lights. There's only four in the United States. And we like to be the best at everything!”

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    But but those numbers are too real and too big of sample to judge a team's popularity since too many people of all walks of life use Google and other forms of communication apps (like Twitter and Facebook). We need some bias Canadian company surveying random 4,000 people (mostly old folks) in Canada to judge something instead since that's real numbers [/sarcasm]
    The only bias I see here is yours.

Both sets of numbers are perfectly valid, they just tell different stories.

From the very simple report we saw there, the numbers from Google tell us that there were more searches done on Toronto FC during the specified time period. That is the only hard fact we have. Whether that translates into one being more popular than the other is open to interpretation and I would hesitate to draw that conclusion solely from Google search statistics without further investigation into the sample variety and demographics, which could give us a confidence rating similar to what we saw from the survey (ie. X% +/- 19 times out of 20).

The numbers from the survey tell us that the respondents showed a slightly higher propensity to be Argos fans. Your "mostly old folks" comment is patently ridiculous as you have no idea of the demographic profile of the respondents. Random sample surveys are a valid method for predicting public opinion and behaviour, proven time and time again by statisticians. There is no question there can be a bias in a survey based on the respondents and the questions asked, but the Google stats you trumpet are likely to be skewed as well and we have no way of knowing without further information on the searchers. Your continued dismissal of the statistical validity of the survey, despite the proven methodology, is pure confirmation bias.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got news for you, non of these guys are top footballers, they're just guys ML$E massively overpaid for. In baseball terms they are "AA" players
    Bradley - NO
    Altidore - NEVER EVER, marginal MLS star
    Defoe - NO
    Giovinco - benchplayer/loaned out most of his time with Juventus (although you could make an argument for 2012)
    Not a great league comparison.

Toronto FC has the world to choose for a "top footballer".
    CFL have the NCAA to poach a star for a couple years overpaid before he moves back to where his actual goals are.

Perspective.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The only bias I see here is yours.

Both sets of numbers are perfectly valid, they just tell different stories.

From the very simple report we saw there, the numbers from Google tell us that there were more searches done on Toronto FC during the specified time period. That is the only hard fact we have.

Its a years long snap shot of all searches. The question of demographics is valid but the ubiquity of Google as the search option for anything makes that less an issue as we all get older.

As a watcher of threehundredeight.com and reader of Nate Silver, I get the validity of polling. But, the massive amount of data involved in searches provides an interest depth outlook we can't get from polling -

polling provides an opinion

google searches provide an intention

The specific point that most TFC searches are about the schedule and ticketing means something.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Its a years long snap shot of all searches. The question of demographics is valid but the ubiquity of Google as the search option for anything makes that less an issue as we all get older.
    To a certain extent, yes. But we still can't say for sure. I'd love to see confidence scores on those from Google.

As a watcher of threehundredeight.com and reader of Nate Silver, I get the validity of polling. But, the massive amount of data involved in searches provides an interest depth outlook we can't get from polling -
    Quantity of data is great, but only if you have context.

polling provides an opinion

google searches provide an intention
    We know what they searched, but we don't know why, while this poll told us what people watched/supported.

The specific point that most TFC searches are about the schedule and ticketing means something.
    Indeed. And it would be a reasonable assumption that the large volume of searches during the first couple of seasons were probably about that, until they cooked and ate the golden goose

In the end, we can't dismiss one or the other. Both sets of numbers tell us something. I do tend to agree that the popularity of TFC is likely to grow, but to conclude that TFC is more popular or has more fans than the Argos solely because less people type Toronto Argonauts in google is a facile analysis of the situation.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I probably google the schedule 4-5 times a week as I agonize & try to figure out how many points we may pick up/drop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
    I thought it was going to be because they did not expect to be TFC players for long.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-t...y-greg-vanney/

TFC players not worried about Argos moving in

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Guys I'd like you to do some interviews saying you're not worried about the Argos moving in"

"Ok"

Didn't watch it. Wouldn't believe it anyway. I don't believe Tim's damage control.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    I thought it was going to be because they did not expect to be TFC players for long.
    Good one..I like that. But seriously, what the hell are the players going to say in public? "I have serious concerns...." Yeah that would fly well for their career in Toronto.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley saying they were focused on this season. Then talks about the promises made.

Does anybody think that if the field goes crap he's not going to go ballistic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are they supposed to say anything different? they may as well pack their bags if they had even hinted at the share being a concern.

I take their comments with the same grain of salt i took Issey's comments, both have an agenda to push.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    "Guys I'd like you to do some interviews saying you're not worried about the Argos moving in"

"Ok"

Didn't watch it. Wouldn't believe it anyway. I don't believe Tim's damage control.
    Monkey owning the Organ Grinder.... I called this kind of crap the day Belgers bought out the Teachers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

Yes I can really see them going to Bradley and say, "Hey, Michael, when the press comes and talks to you, stear it to be about the Argos to BMO field move no matter what they ask."

They were asked by Journos. PR would have told them to think about it.

And to be blunt

Everybody on here is yelling about it and you expect the journo's not to ask the players?!?!

Isn't that what you want? Publicity for the concern?

Geez...people on here want it both ways. To be ticked at MLSE and have themselves listened to and acknowledged. And then when Journo's do their job and give you what you want and ask players and Vanney about the concerns, now its a conspiracy.

Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-22-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting numbers. Goes to show how small time the Argos are, less than 37,000 twitter followers!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2015/0...n-toronto.html
    Last edited by RealG-TFC; 05-22-2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: not really an 'article'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Interesting numbers. Goes to show how small time the Argos are, less than 37,000 twitter followers!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2015/0...n-toronto.html
    But sir! They draw 400K plus T.V viewers! Surely they cant mostly be the opposition teams fans?
    /Sarcasm

This team has a bright future with the younger generation, said no one ever.