Page 61 of 197 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 5892
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    This is all one gigantic push by the city not MLSE from everything I hear.
    Are you sure? I really get the impression that MLSE are telling different stories to different people. And that different parts of MLSE are also saying different things.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, TL is creating pressure here. Not sure exactly who that pressure is on, but I suspect its on Braley.

I'm pretty sure the time line reaches a null point where they can't do a fit for the Argos for 2016 because there is no time to do the pre-construction work. Given they will be working throughout the season to prep for the roof etc., I suspect that point is sometime around September.

But, hey, we all enjoy a deadline.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I remember when the Leafs bought the Raptors, that happened long after a supposed deadline had passed for making the ACC a multi sport venue (the ACC started out as a basketball only facility, and was half built when the merger happened).

There is no deadline.
    The deadline people are talking about is specifically for the 2016 CFL season and whether or not the Argos can make the move to BMO Field in time for it.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    The deadline people are talking about is specifically for the 2016 CFL season and whether or not the Argos can make the move to BMO Field in time for it.
    oh yeah, peace, I get that.

My point is that, in the greater scheme of things, there is no date that really matters- this gets done whenever it gets done.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    MLSE would be really dumb to make this deal (public) on the eve of the yet to be sold out home opener.

The week of May 13 sounds about right. TFC on the road in New England on the 16th.

Communication department must be working overtime to spin this. Appears to be working in places as they have some believing it is the big bad City pushing for Winter Classics and Grey Cups…
    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think the communications department is a bit more worried about not having a sell out on Sunday. Just saw a tweet offering "Want the best Mother's Day gift ever? T-Shirt, Scarf, Tickets for Your Mom"
    "
    I think you're both right. While this faux deadline would have sated a set of fans there's no controlling the sellout for an unfinished (cosmetically) stadium.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Are you sure? I really get the impression that MLSE are telling different stories to different people. And that different parts of MLSE are also saying different things.
    Always a possibility, but every level of MLSE that I interact with is very unenthused about the idea - even though they would never say that openly.

It would be fairly hard to coordinate that message across the entire company. The only people that are pretty excited about it are people in the service end of things as it means more shifts and working opportunities.

You have to take it for what its worth, frankly I look at everything threw a wry eye now.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stated deadline was something they self imposed probably more to intimidate one side or the other and not for our benefit but I'd be damned if I was going to let it pass unnoticed as if the issue wasn't noteworthy. Keeping them accountable for their own stated deadline was never going to be cause worthy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos can come in 2017. They can also play in bleachers at York and come in 2019. Or 2029.

I think the status quo is the likeliest outcome of this current palaver. I'd wager nothing happens until after the federal election. The only way anything happens is if a politician or regulator forces Rogers to the table ("in the national interest") and I don't see how that happens pre election.

TFC fans need to root for a hamstrung minority federal government post Oct 2015 that cares only about its near term survival and won't be inclined to act like the monarchies we get when majorities are elected
    Last edited by ensco; 05-05-2015 at 08:46 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yeah, peace, I get that.

My point is that, in the greater scheme of things, there is no date that really matters- this gets done whenever it gets done.
    Exactly. The whole "deadline" commentary is just to buzz people into following the story IMO.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Exactly. The whole "deadline" commentary is just to buzz people into following the story IMO.
    And generate negative opinion on all involved apparently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos can come in 2017. They can also play in bleachers at York and come in 2019. Or 2029.

I think the status quo is the likeliest outcome of this current palaver. I'd wager nothing happens until after the federal election. The only way anything happens is if a politician or regulator forces Rogers to the table ("in the national interest") and I don't see how that happens pre election.

TFC fans need to root for a hamstrung minority federal government post Oct 2015 that cares only about its near term survival and won't be inclined to act like the monarchies we get when majorities are elected
    Yes, it becomes a federal political issue because a lot of people seem to think that finding the Argos a home is the key to keeping the CFL going. I'd like to see the Argos move to Quebec City (or Moncton or Halifax) and test that theory. Maybe the CFL could get along without a team in Toronto as easily as the NFL gets along without a team in LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys must be smoking something to believe that this will become a political issue.

Giving money to Toronto will be political suicide unless other cities (like Quebec City) get money from Federal government as well.

Realistically, the only money Toronto/GTA will get is for transit investment (building subways, LRT's etc.).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    You guys must be smoking something to believe that this will become a political issue.

Giving money to Toronto will be political suicide unless other cities (like Quebec City) get money from Federal government as well.

Realistically, the only money Toronto/GTA will get is for transit investment (building subways, LRT's etc.).
    No, not political in giving money for a stadium - political in what kind of a deal is made between the CRTC, Bell and Rogers. Bell will claim they tried to save Canadian content (the CFL) but Rogers blocked them. What they "negotiate" out of the CRTC is anybody's guess but it'll be something. We will be told about the deal once it's done and after they hold some sham "hearings."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the type of leader I want at BMO Field !!!
    Last edited by denime; 05-06-2015 at 05:44 AM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CB,
    what are you talking about?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    This is the type of leader I want at BMO Field !!!
    This is a great leader. An Argos leader. You are trolling with this post. You may want to explain before we get to infractions, CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    No, not political in giving money for a stadium - political in what kind of a deal is made between the CRTC, Bell and Rogers. Bell will claim they tried to save Canadian content (the CFL) but Rogers blocked them. What they "negotiate" out of the CRTC is anybody's guess but it'll be something. We will be told about the deal once it's done and after they hold some sham "hearings."
    But CFL content isn't in danger and Rogers can easily argue that Argos are money losing organization and they have been for decades. Giving money or to negotiate for Argos has no real benefit for average Canadian. Bell is billion dollar organization that can pay $10 million (or $20 million) to help Argos themselves.

This is private business matter, not a public matter that needs government to get involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But CFL content isn't in danger and Rogers can easily argue that Argos are money losing organization and they have been for decades. Giving money or to negotiate for Argos has no real benefit for average Canadian. Bell is billion dollar organization that can pay $10 million (or $20 million) to help Argos themselves.

This is private business matter, not a public matter that needs government to get involved.
    This is Canada, all private business matters are backroom deals with regulators who keep competition out of the country. Why do you think we have Shomi and Crave instead of HBO Now and all the content on US Netflix?

The CFL doesn't actually have to be endangered, there just has to be enough media saying it is because the Argos couldn't find a place to play. Look, I'm not happy about this, but it's the way this country works.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    This is a great leader. An Argos leader. You are trolling with this post. You may want to explain before we get to infractions, CB.
    He is a true community leader and has great passion for this city, a TFC example of this would be DeRo. At the end of the day the likely hood of the Argonauts coming to BMO is very high and I know I am in the minority here but it something that I will not lose any sleep on. I respect people's opinions on this, not trolling here, just my passion for both sports, as they are very near and dear to my heart.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but I highly doubt many people care about Pinball and his achievement in this city.

Personally speaking, I didn't even know who Pinball was before joining this forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    This is Canada, all private business matters are backroom deals with regulators who keep competition out of the country. Why do you think we have Shomi and Crave instead of HBO Now and all the content on US Netflix?

The CFL doesn't actually have to be endangered, there just has to be enough media saying it is because the Argos couldn't find a place to play. Look, I'm not happy about this, but it's the way this country works.
    Given average Canadian is demanding government to loosen up laws to allow foreign content in this country, politicians in this country will eventually side with Canadians not companies like Bell. We're already seeing that with recent CRTC rulings (example, allowing Canadians to watch American Super Bowl ads).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Pinball Clemons. He's a great guy who's done some great things for the city of Toronto. But he's a gridiron football guy. I'm not sure he can do anything beneficial for TFC and soccer.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Given average Canadian is demanding government to loosen up laws to allow foreign content in this country, politicians in this country will eventually side with Canadians not companies like Bell. We're already seeing that with recent CRTC rulings (example, allowing Canadians to watch American Super Bowl ads).
    I wouldn't hold my breath. That particular CRTC ruling looks good, but there really isn't that much substance to it. Populist politics are all about the photo ops.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but I highly doubt many people care about Pinball and his achievement in this city.

Personally speaking, I didn't even know who Pinball was before joining this forum.
    You need to expand your circle.

Pinball was considered to run for mayor against Rob Ford. Now that he got his Canadian citizenship, he'll be asked to run for MP for some party. I view some of his appeal a bit corny but given how most athletes can't put two words together, act comatose half the time and don't care about the community they play in and plus some have character flaws, Pinball is someone you should get to know to learn about being a better human being.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day my focus is on the 11 that take the pitch for the Reds week in and week out, I have decided to leave this ongoing Argos discussion to others as I will admit that due to personal relationships I have biased views on this issue.
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 05-05-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite Argo of all time was Wonderful Monds III. I just like the name.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to see that MLSE Shareholders Agreement. We need that bad.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to see that MLSE Shareholders Agreement. We need that bad.
    Would have to believe that the Rogers/Bell Shares are blocked together in a holding company? If not what Rogers wants does not really matter as Bell and Larry would have a majority in a board vote.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Would have to believe that the Rogers/Bell Shares are blocked together in a holding company? If not what Rogers wants does not really matter as Bell and Larry would have a majority in a board vote.
    Can Tanenbaum sell his shares without the consent of both parties?

Can either side unilaterally dissolve the holdco that holds their shares?

How does Larry's deal re NHL Board of Governors work?

That is what we need to know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can Tanenbaum sell his shares without the consent of both parties?

Can either side unilaterally dissolve the holdco that holds their shares?

How does Larry's deal re NHL Board of Governors work?

That is what we need to know
    Bells shareholding sits with their pension fund or a Bell charitable trust, can't remember which. BCE Inc couldn't hold the MLSE stake under NHL rules due to them already having a share of the Habs.

So from the Bell perspective, I don't think they could.