Page 59 of 197 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 5892
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Well said Jack! Same for me. In the last few weeks, it has sometimes hit me how much time it would save me if I just ignored TFC. Sad if it comes to that, but it's becoming more likely with this Argos fiasco.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so we should fold TFC..if the pitch is not perfect every week...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    And get a new pro soccer team with soccer loving owner playing in proper soccer stadium in GTA.

It wouldn't too hard to build a soccer stadium in GTA since soccer actually makes money in this market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    And get a new pro soccer team with soccer loving owner playing in proper soccer stadium in GTA.

It wouldn't too hard to build a soccer stadium in GTA since soccer actually makes money in this market.
    i wish....i fear if they fold...that would be it for pro soccer in toronto..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wish....i fear if they fold...that would be it for pro soccer in toronto..
    I disagree.

There's a rumour of investors interested in bringing NASL team in Toronto and build a soccer stadium.

Also, MLS wouldn't let Toronto FC fold given Toronto is an important market for them.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Of course the pitch isn't going to be perfect every week, but that doesn't mean you bring in 20 250 lb dudes to tear it up every other week to make it even worse. It's just another shitty deal in a long string of shitty deals from this team. I guess we should expect it.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Of course the pitch isn't going to be perfect every week, but that doesn't mean you bring in 20 250 lb dudes to tear it up every other week to make it even worse. It's just another shitty deal in a long string of shitty deals from this team. I guess we should expect it.
    im with you jack...im pissed about this argo thing...so much so that i almost got banned on here because of the argo trolls that were on here.
    i know we sucked for 8 years but nothing better then a sat night game in july,,

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Why do you think there'd be an announcement on Monday?

Presumably if they haven't come to a deal, we wouldn't hear until later.

And if they have come to to a deal, they'd want to sort out some details for a bit before saying much.

I'd expect them there sooner or later. But the Argos already have a deal for 2016 at Rogers, and it would be unusual for them to actually do anything until they had to.
    I think its possible they could make an announcement. After so much time and finally some admission of attention on the subject they gave us a weak ass deadline. I'd think they'd do something about that.

And why don't you love countdowns? Everyone love countdowns.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    After so much time and finally some admission of attention on the subject they gave us a weak ass deadline. I'd think they'd do something about that.
    I don't think they care enough ... I think the deadline was meant as an internal thing, to lock in the design for the next phase of construction, rather than anything public.

I find them overly dramatic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its possible they could make an announcement. After so much time and finally some admission of attention on the subject they gave us a weak ass deadline. I'd think they'd do something about that.

... glad there is some sort of deadline, just don't get why May 4th is so important

- Argos probably don't need to give 1yr notice to Skydome until end of June
    - Contractors are just finishing stage 1, stage 2 doesn't start til November

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This Argos thing could finally push me away. That is not something I say lightly, but I've been thinking long and hard about this situation and I just can't see a scenario where holding regular CFL games on our pitch doesn't adversely affect TFC. I hold a lot of regard for the history of the Toronto Argonauts, but they currently are a sad organization. The last Argos game I went to was pathetic. The crowd was lifeless and the game was boring against a supposed rival in Montreal. A TFC crowd on its worst day makes that Argos crowd seem like a funeral.

I've been here since early days and renewed through outrageous price increases, broken promises, horrid treatment of supporters and players alike and all of the other shenanigans perpetrated by the MLSE shit-show. But this one is a no-going-back situation. If the Argos ruin the pitch for our games, then any and all talk of "soccer priority" is out the window. If soccer is a real priority, then this deal needs to be torpedoed. The message I'm reading is that they want this and they don't really care if TFC plays a few games on a compromised pitch.

Dramatic? Yes, probably. But after 9 years of sticking with this through thick and thin, this situation is really disappointing. Deadly disappointing. As always, I'll wait to see the outcome, but if I get burned AGAIN by my eternal optimism then I don't know if there is enough left in the tank to give this club yet another chance. If TFC/MLSE are really espousing the values they claim in their propaganda, then losing longtime supporters and season ticket holders should mean something to them.
    Agree 100%
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

nothing better then a sat night game in july,,
    Agree
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    ... glad there is some sort of deadline, just don't get why May 4th is so important
    Obviously not a Star Wars fan im guessing? lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I could ever turn my back on this club. However, if our worst fears become reality, and ground sharing with the Argos compromises the integrity of the pitch, and by extension, the game day experience, I will most likely give up my seasons tickets. I would rather purchase single game tickets to home games prior to the start of the CFL schedule and catch the rest of the games on television as opposed to wasting my money to watch TFC play on a ragged pitch in person.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Well Qman, MLS just inked a new 8-year broadcasting deal with ESPN, Fox, and Univision, with a significant boost in income compared to the previous deal. Before that, they were getting US$30 million a year. Under the current deal, MLS is getting $90 million per year (again just in the US). That compares not too shabbily for example with the NHL, who get $200 million a year in their US TV deal (for more teams, many more games, and a much more established league, playing at the very top level of their game compared with the world). Still peanuts compared with the bigger league deals in the US, but on a significant upward trend. As came out in the recent MLS contract negotiations, there's no evidence that the league loses a ton of money overall. Not sure what you mean by a "possible US TV contract bonanza" as we're just at the beginning of a long, guaranteed, signed deal.

BTW, SUM doesn't just include the USMNT rights...
    I think what qman was saying was that in any deal, you have to ask what you bought.

With ratings either static or in decline we could believe they more than tripled their TV revenue based on selling the hope that the numbers would improve.

Possiblly a component but that in itself would suggest overpayment for an asset at a low value. Again, ratings are static or in decline depending on your source.

But the real prize is the US National team rights, along with Mexican team rights. Those are tangible, right now kind of assets.

Operating a franchise in MLS gets an operator a share in MLS. A share in MLS is how one gets involved with SUM. That's the driving force behind investment.
    Last edited by Pookie; 05-01-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack: There is a middle ground - giving up the seats, going to a couple of games a year, watching on TV or at pubs with friends ... it's not a bad way to enjoy TFC
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me personally if push comes to shove, the best would probably be to break up completely, like with a girlfriend that just isn't working out. Or like trying to get out of an abusive relationship. Or an alcoholic trying to quit.

If I'm still hanging around, watching or going to the occasional game, then I'm still hearing too much of the soap opera, I'm still getting worked up, I'll still get sucked into loyalty towards an organization that is very disloyal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like we should do something like sing no songs and keep the flags down for the first 23 minutes until it's dichio time, banners (which is probably too late) or something I am not really a Idea guy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC, the team, has nothing to do with this. Why would we protest by not supporting the team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    TFC, the team, has nothing to do with this. Why would we protest by not supporting the team?
    Their owners is reason why (always been) we protest.

Without MLSE interest, Argos would have very hard time to move to BMO field since no one outside MLSE wants to invest into Argos. It's MLSE (more specifically, Bell and Larry T) that want Argos at BMO field. Rogers is reason why this hasn't happened yet.

Obviously Rogers doesn't support it because they don't want to help out their rival Bell, so they're just trying to take advantage of this situation to get something from Bell.

This is why it sucks being owned by bunch corporations who care more about their shareholders than their customers.

Then you add the fact that there's no sympathy for TFC and soccer fans from media and politicians who still living in the past, this just make it easier for some of us to boycott BMO field for good.
    Last edited by TFC07; 05-02-2015 at 10:40 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like in the past TFC (or MLSE or whoever made the decisions) did some things to actively discourage the Argos from moving in. Build the stadium nice and tight, great for footy, but too small for CFL. Put a big concrete stage in the north end. Later build the north stands on top of that. Put in grass which doesn't work well for CFL. With the Argos missing multiple chances to join in various possible stadium deals, taking the "easy" route at Rogers Centre, and otherwise not paying attention, TFC's moves were smart.

From what we have heard lately, it seems that MLSE under TL has taken the opposite tack. Instead of sitting back and letting the Argos figure it out, or actively lobbying against the Argos coming in -- or only under very stringent conditions -- it seems they are pushing hard to make this happen. And now the rush to get them in by 2016. Why not wait another year, see if something else comes up, see if the Blue Jays really figure out how to put grass in a facility that was absolutely not designed for it. All this for what? A couple bucks extra management fee from the Argos? Instead of focusing only on making TFC successful & their fans happy -- which would also earn them lots of $ over the long term.

Sometimes they've created the impression towards TFC supporters that they don't really want the Argos; that the City or somebody else is forcing them. But from what we've heard lately that doesn't seem to be the case; it seems Rogers is the only one asking hard questions (likely for their own selfish reasons).

And yes as TFC07 said, the majority of the MLSE ownership (Bell & Tanenbaum) are going the massive extra step of actually trying to buy the Argos (and probably looking for a sweetheart deal at BMO Field). They obviously don't care about pissing off TFC supporters and forcing a very risky ground share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It's only for 23 minutes and It would show the FO what could happen to the atmosphere if things start getting worse

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    I don't think they care enough ... I think the deadline was meant as an internal thing, to lock in the design for the next phase of construction, rather than anything public.

I find them overly dramatic.
    I'm really not putting a lot of faith in anything concerning this subject or the people in evolved but my counter would be

What's made them say a number at all? They've been pretty committed to keeping things internal on this subject.

And Drama Llama is offended.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ the deadline date is about playing in 2016.

MLSE said that without an agreement finalized in the next 10 days, the Argos won't be able to play at BMO Field in 2016
    Essentially leverage. If the new owners want to capture all this stadium revenue that will come from the "new thing" bump then they have to get it done by the 4th. Otherwise, it will be another year of losing money and they will be at Rogers Centre for 2016.

Just a negotiation ploy. Unfortunately for TFC fans, if they miss the 2016 deadline, there is always 2017.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hal...ery-group.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mook-life View Post
    It's only for 23 minutes and It would show the FO what could happen to the atmosphere if things start getting worse
    And it would show the players that we don't support them no matter what. Anyone read our charter lately?

Any kind of protest should never happen in the stands. Period.

What message does it send? We will show up pay for our tickets but just stand there? Don't see how that sends a message.

Any "protest" should be happening outside of a game day.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    BMO would be a huge boost to the Argos. At least for a while. That seems obvious to me.

Maybe our best hope is all these concussion lawsuits in the U.S. The business model of football may be closer to being destroyed than anyone realizes.
    I think that is one point any reasonable person would have to agree with. The vast majority of Argo fans seem to be just falling over themselves to get into BMO Field. For them, ironically, a smaller and more intimate outdoor venue is exactly what they feel the club needs to become a financial success again. Again, aside from the dimensions of the playing surface, it is an ideal location for them. But unless the public's general attitude toward the sport changes drastically in the next few years, I think this move really just delays the inevitable.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    And it would show the players that we don't support them no matter what. Anyone read our charter lately?

Any kind of protest should never happen in the stands. Period.

What message does it send? We will show up pay for our tickets but just stand there? Don't see how that sends a message.

Any "protest" should be happening outside of a game day.

Agreed.

And to be completely honest, a sit down and be quiet protest would be noticeable in Portland or Seattle. In Toronto, where half the stadium shows up 20 mins into the game and treats it like a library until something happens… it would barely be noticed.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanna protest? I like those conscience-guiding religious wrist bands. Try thinking along the lines of What Would St. Pauli Do?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game on.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else catch those lines and the big ACC logo on the pitch today in Philly?