Page 163 of 197 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,890 of 5892
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Close to 7 hours for a TFC match, I would say I am pretty fucking dedicated as well as many others.
    I see very few Argos supporters doing the same, so it is obvious that their TV viewership is greater than TFC, we (TFC supporters) are more dedicated and would rather watch the match live.
    Totally true. I remember when I was in 109 some years back and talked to the 75 Mile Bastards. Those guys were at every match and that's a long way to come. I give credit to folks that travel. I am only in Scarborough and that's bad enough on some days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Just to tie into the game day experience from Caledon to a TFC home game (I would assume the same as an Argos game),
    7:30 kickoff,
    On a good day:
    Leave the house 4:30pm
    (snip)
    Arrive home at 11:10pm

Close to 7 hours for a TFC match, I would say I am pretty fucking dedicated as well as many others.
    I see very few Argos supporters doing the same, so it is obvious that their TV viewership is greater than TFC, we (TFC supporters) are more dedicated and would rather watch the match live.
    Similar here - RH to Finch to Union to Exhibition. 10pm Ex train back. I can leave the house around 5:30 but I get home 11:30.

(Although it seems I now have weekend tourist trains available on the Barrie line, going to try that next weekend...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    400-800K per game for CFL - Less then 100K for TFC
    Every CFL game has two Canadian markets in it.
    Generally speaking, they play weekly on more or less the same nights of the week.
    More likely habit-formed "gonna have it on on the background" numbers than sincere dedication (in Toronto and area, at least).
    They play far fewer games, too.

Also, there are a million soccer leagues/tournaments etc. ....... pretty much 12 months a year.
    That doesn't do the MLS any favours as far as television numbers go.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have thought the same about the CFL's ratings.
    TSN is in a LOT of houses/bars...and they might leave it on all the time.

I heard a similar thing about Dean's Fan590 ratings, they are huge because people have the jays on in their car at night, and when they turn their car on in the morning it is still on the Fan.

I wish one of the networks, would go all in with TFC/MLS and commit to promoting it like crazy for like 5 years. So you know that Saturday Night in the summer is TFC. Viewers need routine.

I'm not a CFL fan, but i know tonight there will be pointyball game on, and almost out of habit, i'll flick through TSN at some point tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    One thing you forgot to mention. How many kids of all nationalities have now grown up watching soccer on Saturday morning on either TSN or Sportsnet?
    Agreed. Check out the number of kids (boys and girls) playing soccer, those numbers have gone up for a reason.

does anyone play in minor football leagues?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Agreed. Check out the number of kids (boys and girls) playing soccer, those numbers have gone up for a reason.

does anyone play in minor football leagues?
    A handful at Birchmount Park on the weekends and some for High School teams but that's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It a dying sport. Survival of the fittest and that sport is going the way of the dodo bird in the GTA. That's the reality. But the Argos are still in la la land.

I recall reading an article about football registrations declining in the US as well....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....I recall reading an article about football registrations declining in the US as well....
    High school football in the States still humming along and that's the entry point. The concussion issue will make a dent in the take up of the game but not much. Up here? High schools still playing but reduced due to costs. Quebec is seeing a big revival, especially at the University level. At the pro level, enough Canadians are playing the game at university to supply what the CFL needs talent wise - slot receivers, DB's, blocking backs, O line.

Support for gridiron doesn't come from participation - its from watching with your family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Don't know what your listening too.

The Fan almost always glosses over and doesn't report or talk about the CFL at all. It's not the go to for any CFL talk at all. TSN Radio though has to as its it main stay on the TV side.
    I don't listen to morning radio at all. I'm a getting the guy wrong? The blowhard Morning radio guy from the Edge?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look TFC are averaging something like over 26000 a game so far, therefore that puts TFC just behind the Jays in terms of average attendance per game ahead of both the Leafs and Raptors and I know before you guys start saying that that's only because the Leafs and Raptors play in an arena that can't fit anymore than 20 000 or so and both of those teams play about twice the amount of home games, however, it's still a fact that TFC averages more than those two teams lol, I never would of thought that a soccer team in this city would average more than those two teams, not in a million years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Look TFC are averaging something like over 26000 a game so far, therefore that puts TFC just behind the Jays in terms of average attendance per game ahead of both the Leafs and Raptors and I know before you guys start saying that that's only because the Leafs and Raptors play in an arena that can't fit anymore than 20 000 or so and both of those teams play about twice the amount of home games, however, it's still a fact that TFC averages more than those two teams lol, I never would of thought that a soccer team in this city would average more than those two teams, not in a million years.
    26,000? Someone calculated it before and for MLS games, TFC is averaging 28,000. 26,000 is the drop-off if you include the Canadian Championship games.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Exhibition Place grounds were busy on Wednesday, with the race track already built for Sunday’s Honda Indy Toronto event with security fencing all around it and a Duran Duran concert across Lakeshore Boulevard at the Molson Amphitheatre. A hot, humid day that fell midweek — outside of the CFL’s usual Thursday through Sunday scheduling — also could have worked against a bigger turnout.

Copeland is steadfast there’s a difference between boo birds chirping and vultures circling.
    last saturday we managed to pull out a reported 27,934 with an ethiopian festival, a WWE event and digital dreams in 26 degree weather.
    during the VC against vancouver we managed to pull out a reported 20,011 with the dixie chicks and 24 degree weather.

apparently pointing this out makes me a boo-bird though. so uhh.. i guess everything is working out alright in argos land!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

400-800K per game for CFL - Less then 100K for TFC
    On top of wanting to see the local numbers, I should point out that the argos game was on the regular tsn network and we were banished to tsn2. We also get a fraction of the marketing on tsn than cfl. I still agree the national numbers would still be in favour of cfl but they need a better comparison.

The fan590 poll, though not the best metric, showed that just as many people watched tfc as argos this week and there was no other sport to watch. And tfc was on the specialty channel.

Side note: yes MLS and cfl aren't the best leagues in their sports but from a growth perspective this probably hurts cfl more than MLS in this city. Football fans have always followed north American leagues and are used to the best of the best. Soccer fans here, also follow major leagues like epl, LA Liga, serie a, etc. But for those of us from smaller nations like Greece, and Poland, are used to following smaller teams despite playing in poorer leagues. Just saying.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Online polls are about as unscientific as you can get and should be ignored.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I don't listen to morning radio at all. I'm a getting the guy wrong? The blowhard Morning radio guy from the Edge?
    I haven't listened to radio since then but I'm pretty sure people are saying Dean is on the Fan now.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I haven't listened to radio since then but I'm pretty sure people are saying Dean is on the Fan now.
    Acts like a totally different guy now that he's not doing the Edge's morning show. The stupidity was just a put on. He's actually relieved to act normal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brayly (sp?) owned the Argos and the Lions for several years with some significant losses piling up and responded by gutting the Argo expenses like front office staff, marketing and training. So the franchise was beaten down when sold. The public asking price was $10m, the actual sale price was very close to $1. Folks may or may not believe the sale price, the point is the seller had struggled for years and acted like the team was losing lots of money. The new owner has no need to 'get even' or 'recoup old losses' . If one expects Bell to subsidize the Argos to benefit their TSN content product that would be uncharacteristic for Bell.

The punch line is the likelyhood of one of the new owners (Mr. T) dumping his no cost investment if there are losses to cover is very high. He already got what he wanted - expanded facility, extended mngt of facility and the outdoor hockey games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've followed the TV rating discussion but now i am interested in the obvious answer....what does commercial time cost on ttc vs argo broadcasts. I am going to find out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it looks like the Argos have gone to Groupon to sell their tickets for their game against Montreal....they are selling them for at a discount of almost 30%

I'm sure there will be lots of freebie tickets as well.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it looks like the Argos have gone to Groupon to sell their tickets for their game against Montreal....they are selling them for at a discount of almost 30%

For the Monday game. They're already building excuses for attendance I'm sure...

I hope they're enjoying these extra clicks on their schedule from caring TFC supporters...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know TFC has had groupon deals, but did it happen in year 1?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    The dawning of reality for the few, the proud, the pugnacious:

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...ednesday/page6

"If the Argonauts were smart they'd do a tie in with Pokemon Go and have an exclusive Pokemon available inside BMO Field (and maybe at the Tailgates and the Shipyard too) for the July 25th game."

Some great ideas how to save Argos
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been tracking this groupon deal. So far.... 6 tickets sold.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    The dawning of reality for the few, the proud, the pugnacious:

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...ednesday/page6
    "I think that the 2 games during the CNE will be a big draw too as you get free admission to the CNE with your Argonauts ticket."

I'm guessing it would be cheaper to buy an Argos' ticket than it would be to get into the Ex.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't fault anyone for doing that. I'm always put the TFC / ex game on my list since it's a nice 2-for-1

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    "I think that the 2 games during the CNE will be a big draw too as you get free admission to the CNE with your Argonauts ticket."

I'm guessing it would be cheaper to buy an Argos' ticket than it would be to get into the Ex.
    To be honest, the Ex games are one of the best atmospheres of the year and a highlight for me. Especially when we play Montreal like we will this season.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    I know TFC has had groupon deals, but did it happen in year 1?
    It happened somewhere in between third and fifth year once and people lost their minds since tix at the time were still difficult to get outside of the trader.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current groupon deal for TFC tickets points you to FanXChange with a discount applied by Groupon. Technically I guess it is a groupon deal, but not deeply discounted tickets that you can get from the site.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/fanxchange-toronto-fc
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, the Ex games are one of the best atmospheres of the year and a highlight for me. Especially when we play Montreal like we will this season.
    I definitely agree with that - I don't think it's ever really a draw for people though. It's only a deal if you want it, right?

A quick look at Stubhub definitely shows tickets for Argos games going for less than $18 that week.

My point is (and I doubt that anyone really does this) but if I just wanted to go to The Ex, why not buy an Argos' ticket and just not go to the game.
    Last edited by eustacchio; 07-19-2016 at 03:39 PM.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post

My point is (and I doubt that anyone really does this) but if I just wanted to go to The Ex, why not buy an Argos' ticket and just not go to the game.
    Regular admission prices for TheEx:

$18 GA (14 to 65)
    $15 Children under 13 and Seniors over 65
    $56 Family pass 1 adult, 3 kids or 2 adults 2 kids

$6 after 5pm

33% off until August 18.

I was thinking about this as well, but with the inevitable processing fee you would have on the Argo ticket, you are further ahead paying cash at the entrance to the Ex.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)