Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    you bring it on yourself.

a reputation is earned.
    Thanks VP.

I try to get the thread back on topic and diffuse the personal confrontation and you make a personal post like that.

Bravo

Seriously, all I want to do is contribute and support TFC like all of you. Please stop hating on me for my opinion (which I've refrained from discussing because I know how angry it makes some of you).

Do I really need to beg to contribute and not be harassed. I haven't said anything to merit this kind of treatment.
    Last edited by king10; 03-24-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Wembley actually laid plastic down over the grass and then built an asphalt track on top of the plastic

http://argosadmirals.com/2015/03/24/...-on-the-pitch/
    if this is real, and works, it basically covers most of my concerns.
    the only remaining one is the south end seats being further from the pitch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    Thanks VP.

I try to get the thread back on topic and diffuse the personal confrontation and you make a post like that.

Bravo
    you reap what you sow.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you reap what you sow.
    cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Hadn't heard of that before, very interesting. Wembley does have the other contraption as well, e.g. for track & field events, but it's probably not strong enough for car racing, plus you lose so much seating.

Personally I'm not convinced though. That article sounds a bit like an advertisement. We have heard many complaints about multiple uses and poor pitch conditions at Wembley -- maybe this is one of the reasons? Those plastic tiles don't carry the weight, they pass it to the grass & soil below. Compaction, lack of aeration, and lack of airflow (from above) are big problems for grass.
    You may be referencing Terraplas, many huge rock tours use it to protect the playing field of the venue they're in, think of The Rolling Stones' stages, it takes 60 trucks to transport the stade and they set it all up on the grass with little damage.

Here's a Youtube ad for Terraplas... https://youtu.be/FODO_XkWS1E

BMO just need's to roll the Argo carpet on the day before, roll it up day after the game.
    Last edited by jimiv; 03-24-2015 at 08:53 PM. Reason: grammer

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Call me biased (I am), but this move will not be the silver bullet the Argos need to solve their problems. Franchise is going to continue to struggle. That being said, it will still hurt TFC.

The sad part is the CSA through it's usual bumbling incompetence is nowhere to be found. Their inability to schedule friendlies and use an asset they wanted so badly in the first place is contributing to this situation. If they actually committed to playing a handful of games a year and were drawing decent crowds, that would probably be more than enough to tell the charity-case CFL team to find somewhere else to go. But instead...

The talk of a Canadian league is laughable. These guys can hardly manage getting out of bed in the morning and we think they are capable of that?
    Yeah, I have to agree... somewhat.

Again though, put aside any bias as a soccer fan people may have, let's be honest enough to admit that BMO Field is a very attractive venue for the Argonauts for obvious reasons. This is why the topic has been brought up regularly since the stadium was even finished getting built. It's exactly what the Argonauts want and need. It's not too big and not too small - perfect for CFL crowds. And it's centrally located just like Rogers Centre, but with a relatively inexpensive lease and with a secondary tenant that doesn't play 81 home games - necessitating some pretty complicated scheduling as a result. There's no doubt in my mind moving to BMO Field could benefit the Argonauts greatly - at least in the short term. But is it enough to keep the franchise afloat when Canadian Football itself as a sport has been on a consistent decline over the past few decades? I think I agree that in the end this move may only prove to be a temporary fix to their financial woes, but it's hard to say. In the very long term, I don't think the Argonauts will be able to compete with soccer - which is gaining fans by the droves every year, and the recent resurgence in popularity that baseball seems to be getting. And honestly, that's tough for me to say because I don't want anything of the sort to happen to the Argos. Used to be a big fan myself and wish nothing but the best for the team and their fans. But again, ground-sharing with them puts BOTH clubs at a significant disadvantage.

AND ANOTHER THING!

You're right about the lack of representation from the CSA. If I were running the show there I would have very vocal in protesting any possible ground-sharing scheme back when we still had time to stop it. Was there no way they could have offered to schedule more national team matches at BMO Field?
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 03-25-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only remaining one is the south end seats being further from the pitch.
    Theres no reason to think this will happen given the planned use of the retractable seating system that rolls out over the endzones.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Thinking about this overnight

Argos to BMO is inevitable IF a deal can be done to pay for the upgrades.

Such a deal is not in place.

All this kerfuffle is over a report from a reporter who doesn't work either the soccer or the CFL beat.

Braley has denied a deal has been made.

Until i hear a legitimate source (and sorry, a tweet from the staff of Councillor Kelly isn't such a source), I for one am going to take a step back. We are no more ahead on this then we were at the time of the first report that started this thread.
    This is a great point but now I'm waiting for all the BS artists who THINK the argos are a draw , to come out of the woodwork and somehow find a way of this horribly led city to Pay, for those God forsaken changes. With TFC it seems that fear the worst , and it eventually comes true. Another words we can now find extra money for football, never mind soccer, in this fantasy land that still has leaf fans, not to mention NFL, dreamers who will never see the light...... A little off topic but doesn't anyone realize football will someday peer out. My son in law who is a Huge NFL fan, named my grandson after a famous NFL, 'r...... now has decided my grandson will not be playing football do to the concussion issues that are and will be permanently injurying many who are now playing. It's an older generations last gasp at manliness..... Haha...... Just saying.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    That is not true at all. The City owns it, thru Exhibition Place. There is a federal provincial city deal and all three governments had to give permission to install the grass - look it up. It's BS.
    I agree especially belong located in the CNE itself.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    You may be referencing Terraplas, many huge rock tours use it to protect the playing field of the venue they're in, think of The Rolling Stones' stages, it takes 60 trucks to transport the stade and they set it all up on the grass with little damage.

BMO just need's to roll the Argo carpet on the day before, roll it up day after the game.
    Wow, looks promising. Only thing is, the translucency & air holes do no good when you're putting plastic turf on top. But this won't have to stay in place as long as many of the other events mentioned in the video.

I hope MLSE looks into a system like this?! Just worried it may be pricey, compared with the actual value of the Argos..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS isn't high enough level soccer for MLSE to spend the money on this. They've proven this is the past by only putting money in when only elite events come to town.

FYI this is the system Vancouver uses under their rollout soccer seats. Plus, the whole pitch for trade shows. Note, that that they are being forced to replace the "matted" turf with a new surface only 3 years in, so judge its real effectiveness from that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    MLS isn't high enough level soccer for MLSE to spend the money on this. They've proven this is the past by only putting money in when only elite events come to town.

FYI this is the system Vancouver uses under their rollout soccer seats. Plus, the whole pitch for trade shows. Note, that that they are being forced to replace the "matted" turf with a new surface only 3 years in, so judge its real effectiveness from that.
    But MLS was high enough level soccer for MLSE to spend millions of dollars to install and maintain a natural grass pitch with undersoil heating and oxygen and drainage. You can call MLSE a lot of things, but I don't necessarily think they're cheap. I mean they're also spending $100 million of their own money on a stadium they dont even own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was really getting annoyed with some disrespectful CFL fans on some other forums regarding this ground sharing but if that Terraplas system is really as good as it sounds, I honestly would have no problem sharing BMO Field with them. It may give more money for MLSE to spend on TFC. We'll outgrow BMO in less than a decade anyway, so let's find a solution that protects our grass pitch (Terraplas) and start searching for a location for our future 60,000+ World Cup 2026 bid stadium (TFC's future home field ).

P.S. Let's try to lighten up with bashing people like king10 (I haven't read all the posts here but I gather from a few posts above that there were some words exchanged). I see his posts on another forum and he seems to legit care about TFC, let's not alienate fellow fans.
    Last edited by mistercorporate; 03-24-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Thank you for the kind words mistercorporate.

Cheers and all the best!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post

So the surface In the video depends on letting light + air through to keep the grass in good shape. I didn't go through the full five minutes but I didn't see much of an indication of it supporting a full turf roll out on top. The concert stage and other things they showed leave room in comparison.

Maybe a quick on/off negates some damage but I remain skeptical. This will cost real money, not the type we've seen spent so far but in another magnitude. I stand by my original stance that they will 1) tell everyone it's no issue 2) completely fuck it up 3) sell everyone on a solution when anger reaches critical mass which may or may not work. 4) see step one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...FYI this is the system Vancouver uses under their rollout soccer seats. Plus, the whole pitch for trade shows. Note, that that they are being forced to replace the "matted" turf with a new surface only 3 years in, so judge its real effectiveness from that.
    However Vancouver has field turf which doesn't regenerate when not covered.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I would have agreed with your first statement, but now not so much.

2014 MLS Salaries visualized.

Obviously MLSE still isn't spending as much on TFC as they would the Leafs, but their investment into the club has been growing pretty steadily over the years. The question now, though, is what sort of return can they get from that investment.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record.

York University don't want anything to do with the Argos.

They have been burned by them before in 2004.

They aren't willing to rip up the natural turf infield at the new track stadium as they would not be able to host any more events as the IAAF will not sanction events with an artifical infield.

The stadium is going to be used for athletics and for the rugby team only. The football and soccer teams have their own fields elsewhere on campus.

The stadium only has 3,000 permament seats. For the games - they are bringing in 9,500 temporary seats.

There's no room to bring in another 7,500 - not too mention concessions, washrooms etc. There's a road running along the north side of the stadium, university buildings to the west and south and a large wooded lot to the east which is protected by the Toronto Region Conservation Authority.
    Not so much a broken record as a one-note love song to the CFL.

The mere presence of the Rexall tennis centre, Canlan IceSports arenas and now this Pan-Am stadium site demonstrate that, like any major university, York U. is a business. If dealing with the Argos makes business sense and can serve to improve the long-term, widespread interests of the university, then things can happen. With transportation links to York including nearby highways and a new subway station, it's easily accessible. Anything that brings new faces to York U. only serves to promote the place and raise awareness of the institution. They love it and would happily accommodate the Argos if it makes sense.

It's a great time to approach them. With all the public funding directed toward these games, anything that can help create a legacy going forward is a positive thing. This is something that the city and province would have to consider if further funds were requested, especially if Braley and the CFL were to kick in their own nickels.

If they Argos are willing to play on BMO's grass, why not York U's? So there goes that argument.

If millions have to be spent to create retractable seating at BMO Field, why not spend those millions building new retractable stands at this site? The main stand on the west side could be added to by building another stand above it. As for the east side, new stands could easily be built to create adequate capacity for the Argos. As for the precious woodlot behind it, itt was largely created by the university planting trees there decades back. But there's nothing remarkable about it. It has already been partially hacked back to create space for the Pan Am stadium. More of it could go and it would be of little consequence. The minor educational purposes it serves can be accomplished at nearby woodlots on campus or that fabulous ravine to the west where the infamous tunnel was found. If the school is so inclined to replant trees, then it has the footprint of land where the existing, and now redundant, track and field facility sits, just to the north.

The woodlot is already declining from urban stress. On York's website, a school administrator says 'she has found that the average height of the trees is declining. “We notice there isn’t much regeneration, unfortunately, which could be because the bigger trees that would have had the seeds are dying out." The trampling of small saplings by pedestrians could also be contributing to the problem.'

There's room, there's access, there's a willingness to create the facilities. All we need is for the Argos to get in touch. And perhaps for you to take all those energies you've directed towards suggesting ideas to accommodate an unwanted, destructive presence at BMO Field and put them to work doing something positive and constructive for the CFL team you hold in such high regard. There's a good chap.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the Argos don't want to pay $10 million to get BMO to fit them, I can't see them wanting to pay $150 million for a stadium anywhere else.

And, there isn't a person in the wings willing to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow - I don't even know where to start with that post

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol ya i've learned to just not even bother with the debate. There's no changing anyone's opinion on either side of the matter. Just know at least you share a common love for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe NFL coming to Toronto in the future?

Bills owner Terry Pegula not opposed to franchise in Toronto

Read here:
    http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/24/bills-owner-terry-pegula-not-opposed-to-franchise-in-toronto

It interesting to know that Bills who rely on Southern Ontario market will be okay to risk losing them to Toronto NFL team. This just adds more hurdles for Argos to survive in this market.

So this might explain why CFL/Argos isn't willing come up with $10 million because they might not make it in the end.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NFL is going to LA and London and other places long before a Toronto that treated the Bills poorly, in their opinion. And has nothing to do with the CFL/Argos not having $10 million to spend - the CFL is cash poor, relying upon the cash flow of TSN money.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quelle surprise.

Call Mulder.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol ya i've learned to just not even bother with the debate. There's no changing anyone's opinion on either side of the matter. Just know at least you share a common love for TFC.
    No problem. You have serious credibility issues.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Maybe NFL coming to Toronto in the future?

Bills owner Terry Pegula not opposed to franchise in Toronto

Read here:
    http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/24/bills-owner-terry-pegula-not-opposed-to-franchise-in-toronto

It interesting to know that Bills who rely on Southern Ontario market will be okay to risk losing them to Toronto NFL team. This just adds more hurdles for Argos to survive in this market.

So this might explain why CFL/Argos isn't willing come up with $10 million because they might not make it in the end.
    But wouldn't the Argos have to be protected by whomever wants to operate an NFL franchise here? They'd be a sort of loss leader like what the Marlies are for the Leafs, a minor burden to be borne in return for operating a much bigger franchise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    But wouldn't the Argos have to be protected by whomever wants to operate an NFL franchise here? They'd be a sort of loss leader like what the Marlies are for the Leafs, a minor burden to be borne in return for operating a much bigger franchise.
    If that's case, then might as fold right now. Toronto NFL team will destroy Argos to a point that BMO field will become too big of stadium for Argos to play in. So they might as well end up playing at Varsity Stadium that has capacity of 5,000 seats.

Blue Jays arrival hurt Argos, but Toronto NFL team will kill Argos for good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The NFL is going to LA and London and other places long before a Toronto that treated the Bills poorly, in their opinion. And has nothing to do with the CFL/Argos not having $10 million to spend - the CFL is cash poor, relying upon the cash flow of TSN money.
    Fair enough, but I like to point out that L.A. will most likely get relocated two teams while London is still huge question mark. I personally believe if NFL wants to go international, then Toronto AND London both will get expansion teams. I don't think NFL will want just one international team and uneven number of teams in NFL.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Fair enough, but I like to point out that L.A. will most likely get relocated two teams while London is still huge question mark. I personally believe if NFL wants to go international, then Toronto AND London both will get expansion teams. I don't think NFL will want just one international team and uneven number of teams in NFL.
    Mexico City

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mexico City
    Problem there is currency (Peso isn't worth much compare to dollar and pound/euro). It will be too costly for Mexicans to attend NFL game while players might not be open playing in Mexico regularly.