Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If we play like that in the first 3 games that actually mean something, you might be right.

Until then....
    Trust me, I'm not putting anything into this game. But I do worry about that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The big teams, yeah. Most teams I'm aware of play a few games prior to the season.
    Agreed. Even teams in the lower bowels of non-league usually play 4-5 pre season games starting about 15th of July.

And nobody takes them seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We did what we were supposed to do in terms of dominating possession for most of the game, which is something to build on. However, our attack was somewhat one dimensional and predictable without a legitimate threat on the wings. We generated a few chances and missed a PK, but we're going to have to be more creative in the offensive third of the pitch moving forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    tours?
    That's still pre-season - the big clubs just use it as an opportunity to also earn some cash in the process. Listen to their manager and check out their fan forums. They're very serious about the games. They want to win. They want their team to push itself as far as possible so it will be ready and fit for fight with a desire to WIN on day one. To me friendlies are not to be mocked or considered unimportant.

We have 3 more tests before it's for real. I'm personally very happy to see us kick off with pretty much the A team in place. That's very important. Let them gel so they know each other better when we face Vancouver next month. Every minute and game counts towards our ability to be ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    dont care about the score. what I cared was seeing what Vanney was trying to do. if you look closely, it's easy enough to see.

I think Lovitz deserve a start over Osorio or Findley. he's the only guy who can put in a half decent cross from wing
    what was Vanney trying to do?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The big teams, yeah. Most teams I'm aware of play a few games prior to the season.
    Cheers.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TFC View Post
    I saw two players play well the whole way through. Without taking anything away from THEIR performances, the rest of the team didn't do much. Like I said, it would have been a lot less disappointing if we showed that we gave somewhat of a damn. Anyway... we're not gonna agree on this, so let's just leave it at that.
    Which two players played well the whole way through? I thought the starting 11 was subbed at the 55th min?

Did you honestly expect the team to play at 100%, this was the type of match I expected based on Vanney's presser earlier. A run out to begin building match cohesion, not an attempt to slaughter a lower league side.

Would've/should've had a draw, but we had our 3rd or 4th striker take a horrible spot kick. Sometimes things just don't go your way, and nothing in life let alone sports is guaranteed.

Wish we could have at least taken the draw, but I'm not going to lose sleep over us dropping a pre-season match.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    That's still pre-season - the big clubs just use it as an opportunity to also earn some cash in the process. Listen to their manager and check out their fan forums. They're very serious about the games. They want to win. They want their team to push itself as far as possible so it will be ready and fit for fight with a desire to WIN on day one. To me friendlies are not to be mocked or considered unimportant.

We have 3 more tests before it's for real. I'm personally very happy to see us kick off with pretty much the A team in place. That's very important. Let them gel so they know each other better when we face Vancouver next month. Every minute and game counts towards our ability to be ready.
    If we're talking about pre-season friendlies, sure. No mockery here. My comments were moreso concerning formats of preseason differing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the type of mentality that has kids at the youth level pumping long balls over developing skill. And that's playing out over years, which is the time it will take for skills to take route and beat the fitness / negative tactics for an end result mentality.

We run out against some typical lower league side that is mostly hustle and little else, with 5 new players trying to implement a system and people are ready to make sweeping generalizations after one loss?? It won't even take that long for this group to get up to speed if this works well.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-18-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Results don't matter in preseason but nor should preseason destroy confidence. Scoring goals is always important. It's not like there is a lot of preseason left. I want to see regular game quality performances against HB Køge and RBNY.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kshep View Post
    Which two players played well the whole way through? I thought the starting 11 was subbed at the 55th min?

Did you honestly expect the team to play at 100%, this was the type of match I expected based on Vanney's presser earlier. A run out to begin building match cohesion, not an attempt to slaughter a lower league side.

Would've/should've had a draw, but we had our 3rd or 4th striker take a horrible spot kick. Sometimes things just don't go your way, and nothing in life let alone sports is guaranteed.

Wish we could have at least taken the draw, but I'm not going to lose sleep over us dropping a pre-season match.
    I'd think that the second half team looked like they were going for broke (other than Moore. I don't know if I'd want to see what that would look like). The first half starters looked like just building chemistry in game environs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good: Cheyrou. Perquis ( I missed the goal though, some say he was at fault). Lovitz. Bad: Gilo's tunnel vision. Altidore. Warner. Ugly: Luke Moore.

My stream made Warner, Dike and Moore look tubby.

I hope Vanney isn't all talk.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 02-18-2015 at 10:07 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Results don't matter in preseason but nor should preseason destroy confidence. Scoring goals is always important. It's not like there is a lot of preseason left. I want to see regular game quality performances against HB Køge and RBNY.
    Agreed.

Where did you find the o with the line thingy through it on your keyboard?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Good: Cheyrou. Perquis ( I missed the goal though, some say he was at fault). Lovitz. Bad: Gilos tunnel vision. Altidore. Ugly: Luke Moore.

my stream made Warner, Dike and Moore look tubby.

i hope Banney isn't all talk.
    You may add Warner to your bad list. I did on mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to mention for the most part OKC was parking the bus and just trying to catch us on the counter, yah and they managed to get one on us. Meh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to extrapolate anything meaningful out of a game where you play 22 players is pretty much pointless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our subs should beat them easily, let alone a first eleven. The lack of effective possession or pressure is a worry, pre season or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa Seattle is looking crazy good in the first few minutes so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

Where did you find the o with the line thingy through it on your keyboard?
    I'm all about the cutting and the pasting.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our subs should beat them easily, let alone a first eleven. The lack of effective possession or pressure is a worry, pre season or not.
    And if the subs played the whole match they may have. They looked hungry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd think that the second half team looked like they were going for broke (other than Moore. I don't know if I'd want to see what that would look like). The first half starters looked like just building chemistry in game environs.
    I'd agree.

Also you would kind of expect the 2nd half subs to come out a little harder, as a lot of those players are trying to show well, since most of them realize they will be fighting for mins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if the subs played the whole match they may have. They looked hungry.
    agreed. Very hungry, in fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kshep View Post
    I'd agree.

Also you would kind of expect the 2nd half subs to come out a little harder, as a lot of those players are trying to show well, since most of them realize they will be fighting for mins.
    starters should show the same desire. They actually seemed overconfident, if anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I guess the season is finished. isn't it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TFC View Post
    I guess I wouldn't have minded the score as much if we showed something, but we didn't. But hey, at least a few guys out there played, and played well. Bradley was solid as always, and Cheyrou looks quite promising as well. The back line didn't hold up too poorly either, except for that gaffe which led to the OKC goal. Hopefully we see some better chemistry in the coming matches.
    Isn't that the story of last year? Isn't that our history?

Players looking promising.
    Defense holding up well, except one gaffe that ends up costing us the game.
    Always hoping for better chemistry.

There will be better days ahead, and the hope we cling to is that the better days will outnumber days like today which we are foolish to think are a thing of the past.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starters should show the same desire. They actually seemed overconfident, if anything.
    to be fair, who did we have on the bench and how long have they been with the team?
    i don't believe it was overconfidence so much as i believe it was comfort and knowledge of the league, the team, and the playing style vanney wants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look OKC was playing heavily defensive football lying deep and trying to absorb the pressure with a side that was out to get some minutes and build match fitness. They were playing for a tie and hoping for a mistake, they got one that they finally could take.

I wasn't surprised we didn't score based on the play.

Loosing a game like this is usually good for the team, it helps keep the confidence where it should be (in check) and shows the area's you need to work on when the season starts.

They have a few weeks left. Lets see how they do come March and the 16,500km road trip. Assuming there is a season at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts: Team looked disjointed but had some sort of plan that they were trying to execute. It was a little rough.

Perquis- Looks great. Combo of athletic ability, good positioning and also solid plan on the ball. Him and Morrow on the left side of defense looked great both on defense and moving up the field.

Bloom may be a solid player, but he is in a little over his head with Vanney wanting him to push up the field. He isn't that great as an attacker, hits poor crosses and doesn't have recovery speed to get back on counter attacks. RB may be a problem for us.

Oso and Lovitz look fit. Both covered a lot of ground and look more agile than last year.

Bradley and Cheyrou were doing a lot of the same thing. Both dropped deep to gather the ball. Both fiddled around and hit balls from deep. Both contributed little in the final third. I don't think we have the right balance between the two at the moment. I think they need defined #6 and #8 roles. I'd rather see a 4-1-4-1 and have Cheyrou in a defined #6 role.

Findley isn't that good. Wings are the clear weakness of this team. But, Findley was a hack out there, just trying to use athleticism/physicality to win 1v1 duels. I don't think he fits well with the group.

Altidore and Gio didn't combine much, but I really do like the pairing. We will miss the energy and pure athletic insanity that Gilberto brought to the team, but I think that Altidore gives the team a better balance as he holds the ball up extremely well. And.. apparently he is a better scorer? (yet to be determined).

Bendik- I am glad they won't let him kick the ball to half anymore.. cause he literally can't do it.

Caldwell got a pretty big slap in the face to be on the B team. I don't see how they aren't shutting him out of the team. Mutual contract termination before the end of the season is my prediction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I missed the second half. Who did they have in goal? I wouldn't mind them letting Bono start a game; I really think Bendik is an average goalie at best, not a starter for a playoff team. Although, if our attack is good enough this year then maybe that won't be as big a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game means 0 to the squad. It is merely more preseason practice and some likely did not even realize it was streamed online.
    It was a huge game for OKC and they played it that way.
    This was the first North American game for some of our main players and they also dont speak english to my knowledge, little details that may have some effect overall. You cant look at this with your Blue Leafs glasses on and find someone to blame.
    It is just practice. 1-0 thats all there was. Nobody gelled, many looked rusty. They needed this.
    Vanney got his homework for the next few days and the boys got to become closer as a squad.
    Luke Moore was a good chunk of the glue that held this team togethor last year with 6 goals. He was shit tonite but tonites over
    Last edited by dutch; 02-19-2015 at 01:47 AM.