Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC hires Manager of Analytics

Devin Pleuler ‏@devinpleuler I’ve joined @torontofc as their Manager of Analytics. I’m deeply appreciative of the opportunities granted to me by both @OptaPro and @MLS.

Archive of columns he's written for mlsssoccer.com: http://www.mlssoccer.com/author/Devin-Pleuler

Extratime Radio podcast with him talking about analytics: http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/6/3/a/63a6...e31e1061d6fb54

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And the discussion of the value of possession begins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh great, we hire another:

Lol, joking aside, nice to see TFC beef up their FO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the word analytics makes me want to barf.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Think about it this way:

As you barf, do you consider what is coming back up and make sure you don't do that combination of food and excess quite the same again?

That's analytics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Think about it this way:

As you barf, do you consider what is coming back up and make sure you don't do that combination of food and excess quite the same again?

That's analytics.
    Analytics in this sense is game statistics. Opta does game stats. It doesn't do training data. So it isn't answering the question whether that food combo and exercise caused the barf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a salary capped league, I'm not agnostic to it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just an opinion of course…. the value of "analytics" is really limited to accurately describing history. Very little predictive value which makes it questionable to base decisions on it.

At its simplest level, I'm one that believes that if you dominate possession and outshoot your opponent you stand a good chance to win. It's just common sense. But that doesn't guarantee any future success and countless example of poor possession teams winning games makes any correlation almost impossible.

I also don't believe you can coach possession. You either have the horses that dominate a game with skill and effort or you don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Pookie, you're a smart guy and all, but that's horseshit. Of course you can coach possession; it may be overwhelmed by the athleticism and speed of your opponent, but there are Conference teams that can pass circles around MLS because their players learn from an early age to fundamentally understand how to move into open space and are coached, when options close down, to take alternatives.

That latter part is important; the game is played at too high a speed to have much of that decision making be conscious, so it has to be ingrained through repetition. This basic lack of providing options describes one of the reasons a string of our coaches have failed.(And is something Vanney's interviews have made it sound as if they are now concentrating on, thank goodness). It's why we've always been so static off the ball.

Additionally, players repeat the same mistakes of both movement and position over and over again unless it's coached out of them. That doesn't all happen before they get to the pro level; it can't, because the speed of the decision making is substantially greater. It's not purely instinctive, it's coached.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Think about it this way:

That's analytics.
    After 30.5 years of life, I clearly do not do this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Oh great, we hire another:

Lol, joking aside, nice to see TFC beef up their FO.
    Greatest post of all time, to be honest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Analytics in this sense is game statistics. Opta does game stats. It doesn't do training data. So it isn't answering the question whether that food combo and exercise caused the barf.
    So the basic methods he spoke about in audio clip in which he mentions monitoring heart rate, work load... that isn't training data?

EDIT: nvm, Opta doesn't do training stats you are right, but as the audio clip alluded to, there are easy baslines and benchmarks to identify when there is overworking and the such which can cause injuries - so while OPTA doesn't answer the question whether a food combo and excercise caused the barf, it doesn't negate the fact that that knowledge base exists - it won't guarantee you don't barf, just give you certain scenarios where people haven't barfed and what they did to ensure they didn't
    Last edited by Red I; 02-17-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may not like analytics, but Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola, Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and a whole lot of other top mangers do. Anayltics are never going to replace a good manager, make a bad one into a good one, or a good one into a great one. But is is another tool that they can and do use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    You may not like analytics, but Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola, Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and a whole lot of other top mangers do. Anayltics are never going to replace a good manager, make a bad one into a good one, or a good one into a great one. But is is another tool that they can and do use.
    Exactly. It is not widely spoken of within this sport but it does have it's place among some of the best managers and organizations in the world. Glad to add something like this to the FO. Just because we now have a manager of analytic's doesn't mean the more traditional methods are out the window. It is piece to give us a competitive edge, especially within MLS do to our available $$$ over other teams.

Good move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Devin Pleuler @devinpleuler · Jan 17

We should get away from the expression "possession oriented play". Everyone is possession oriented. Instead, let's use direct vs. indirect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Devin Pleuler @devinpleuler · Jan 17

We should get away from the expression "possession oriented play". Everyone is possession oriented. Instead, let's use direct vs. indirect.

*Nods*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    Greatest post of all time, to be honest
    Gotta agree! Hahahaha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After 30.5 years of life, I clearly do not do this.
    When the acid reflux starts eating your throat muscles, you'll be left without much choice. but generally that's not until about 40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just reading through his stuff now, very interesting. He's not just analytical but he uses it all in terms of the tactical. Stuff like this will be extremely useful.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...attle-weakness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup, that and the term metrics. Makes me wanna take a flamethrower to this place

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Sorry Pookie, you're a smart guy and all, but that's horseshit.
    "Sorry Pookie, you're a smart guy and all, but FALCON PUNCH."

“Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    Exactly. It is not widely spoken of within this sport but it does have it's place among some of the best managers and organizations in the world. Glad to add something like this to the FO. Just because we now have a manager of analytic's doesn't mean the more traditional methods are out the window. It is piece to give us a competitive edge, especially within MLS do to our available $$$ over other teams.

Good move.
    Agreed.

Though where I get concerned is when these things get outside the Coaching room and into the mainstream. It's where the NHL is headed by posting Corsi/Fenwick data on their stats pages (in the near future). We have reporters talking about the Leafs in terms of Corsi performance and quite honestly Corsi is all over the map with respect to success.

At one point the Leafs were 4th overall in Corsi (CF%) (2009-10) and missed the playoffs. They've been at the bottom in CF% … and missed the playoffs. Teams with good Corsi numbers win Cups. Teams with bad Corsi numbers win Cups.

Yet this "advanced stat" is trotted out as some kind of predictive measure amongst the masses and everyone becomes an expert. If only the Leafs had better Corsi numbers… that's all they need to do… go out and outshoot their opponent and keep the puck more. They get held to that standard as if a) it's even remotely correlated with success and b) as if it is the only way to play the game and c) as if saying it can magically make it happen. Geez coach, why didn't you say we needed to shoot more?

My concern is when that hits the mainstream, that's how coaches will start to coach through the minor leagues. Focusing on stats instead of development or creativity.

Soccer is no where near that edge yet but my hope is that it stays within the rooms of those that know what they are trying to measure and can put context around it.

Data to evaluate your team and players is always good. Publishing that data? The jury is out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the acid reflux starts eating your throat muscles, you'll be left without much choice. but generally that's not until about 40.
    You get a ten year ban if you describe this process in any further detail.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sorry Pookie, you're a smart guy and all, but that's horseshit. Of course you can coach possession; it may be overwhelmed by the athleticism and speed of your opponent, but there are Conference teams that can pass circles around MLS because their players learn from an early age to fundamentally understand how to move into open space and are coached, when options close down, to take alternatives.

That latter part is important; the game is played at too high a speed to have much of that decision making be conscious, so it has to be ingrained through repetition. This basic lack of providing options describes one of the reasons a string of our coaches have failed.(And is something Vanney's interviews have made it sound as if they are now concentrating on, thank goodness). It's why we've always been so static off the ball.

Additionally, players repeat the same mistakes of both movement and position over and over again unless it's coached out of them. That doesn't all happen before they get to the pro level; it can't, because the speed of the decision making is substantially greater. It's not purely instinctive, it's coached.
    Well, tell me how you really feel?

If you have 2 teams that stress possession, which team wins that battle?

IMO, it's the one with skill and effort. And while skill can be coached, effort can't.

I think this applies significantly to the MLS as it is largely parity driven with the bulk of the players coming from the same USSF talent pool.

Just $0.02

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, tell me how you really feel?

If you have 2 teams that stress possession, which team wins that battle?

IMO, it's the one with skill and effort. And while skill can be coached, effort can't.

I think this applies significantly to the MLS as it is largely parity driven with the bulk of the players coming from the same USSF talent pool.

Just $0.02
    I don't doubt it. I didn't disagree with that. I disagreed with the suggestion that you can't coach possession. You just overgeneralized on a sore point for me, as possession and possession-based movement has been one of TFC's weak spots for quite a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    LOL. Just avoid too much Pepsi and you should be okay. If you must drink rum, get the dark stuff and drink it straight over ice. It will probably also eat your stomach lining, but will be sooo much more fun.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah...there's a reason why analytics and general performance number-crunching is becoming a larger trend in sports today - it's simply proving to be another useful effective tool out of many that a coach or manager and their staffs can use to improve their team. Personally, I think it's a good thing that TFC has created a position of Manager of Analytics. It's an aspect of management that is never going to replace natural talent, tactics, leadership, and instinct - but I don't know of anyone who would argue that it would. Rather, it's just another method to increase maximize strength or minimize weakness.

Anyone who's not familiar should really take a quick listen to the clip mowe has posted: http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/6/3/a/63a6...e31e1061d6fb54
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

Though where I get concerned is when these things get outside the Coaching room and into the mainstream. It's where the NHL is headed by posting Corsi/Fenwick data on their stats pages (in the near future). We have reporters talking about the Leafs in terms of Corsi performance and quite honestly Corsi is all over the map with respect to success.

At one point the Leafs were 4th overall in Corsi (CF%) (2009-10) and missed the playoffs. They've been at the bottom in CF% … and missed the playoffs. Teams with good Corsi numbers win Cups. Teams with bad Corsi numbers win Cups.

Yet this "advanced stat" is trotted out as some kind of predictive measure amongst the masses and everyone becomes an expert. If only the Leafs had better Corsi numbers… that's all they need to do… go out and outshoot their opponent and keep the puck more. They get held to that standard as if a) it's even remotely correlated with success and b) as if it is the only way to play the game and c) as if saying it can magically make it happen. Geez coach, why didn't you say we needed to shoot more?

My concern is when that hits the mainstream, that's how coaches will start to coach through the minor leagues. Focusing on stats instead of development or creativity.

Soccer is no where near that edge yet but my hope is that it stays within the rooms of those that know what they are trying to measure and can put context around it.

Data to evaluate your team and players is always good. Publishing that data? The jury is out.
    This would just go down as another example of the media dumbing something down to the point where it's misunderstood and applied by amateurs.

In general I think the use of stats & data is a positive. Sure it can still be misapplied and over used, but it should none the less be a part of any modern team.

Wouldn't be too worried unless they really start pushing the envelope.

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Bahahahahhahahaha lmao shakes fuckin ten year ban, idk why I found that so funny but my coworkers are now looking at me weird ��

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new sports viewing drinking game is taking a sip everytime an announcer says analytics...you should have a pretty solid buzz going merely 1/4 into the game.