Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mascot? Mascot?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Small note: Rachel isn't with TFC anymore. She works for MLS in New York now.
    Was she the "future considerations" we had to give up for Bez?

Looking forward to which TVO Kids actor we get next.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one is my fave....

Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    This one is my fave....

Wow, that is fucking awful.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my thoughts on the question of a mascot:

The vast majority of sports mascots are cute and cuddly figures who are there to entertain the kids during breaks and helping out with promotions and special events. They are basically there to act clumsy and stupid on the pitch and take some photos with the kids before and after the game. Their whole schtick is self-deprecating and they go for cheap and easy laughs.

For the most part, these mascots suck balls and I wouldn't want anything to do with them.

However, there are other examples of awesome mascots that I think would work quite well for Toronto FC and could even get the most "ultra" supporters to like them. How would the club do that? Simple. Instead of cute, cuddly, and clumsy; you make them tough, hostile to the opposition, and give them a more mature sense of humour.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but back in the mid 90s there was a show on Fox called Hardball about a fictional Minor League ball club in the states. The team's mascot on the show was the Pioneer and he pretty much stole every scene he was in. He'd get into fights with other mascots, fans, and players. He'd graffiti and vandalize flags and clothing of the opposing team. Funny stuff like that. Obviously you couldn't go to that sort of extreme in real life, but a real TFC mascot with a similar entertaining style? Yeah, I'd be all over that.

All I'm saying is that, yes, if TFC went the route of almost every other club out there and brings in a shitty mascot who dances around and acts like a jerk-off, I'd be pissed. But a good solid mascot we could be proud of is doable.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 02-13-2015 at 03:39 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A long time ago, I was at a Toledo Mud Hens baseball game and they had a goofy mascot doing a dance on top of one of the dugouts. The dude was doing his thing and fell right off. Not sure he would pass a field sobriety test. Sure as hell the only thing I remember from that game. Not sure if this a point for or against mascots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Man, oh man, some people (mainly on Twitter) are wound up tight right now. I shudder to think what hell fury will be unleashed if we drop some games on the road start (which is likely).
    You are not kidding. Jesus.

Get a life people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think we need a televised pre-season game. The void is being filled with ridiculousness now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I truly think that most mascots are an attempt to mask a lack of identity, by that I mean a team identity and a worthwhile ritual to go with scoring.
    (I think that the Raptor is a rarity, a mascot who has developed a personality.)
    The best actions at a game grow out of this sense of team identity. The Calgary Stampeders score a touchdown and their horse goes for a gallop.
    The MLS have a few worthwhile actions or rituals. The Timbers and the cutting of the log and the Revolution and their firing of the muskets spring to mind. The mascot of the Columbus Crew is pointless.

I think a hawk who exists to scare away seagulls does not lend itself to the team identity or the developing of a ritual for goals or victories. Throwing out a mascot to keep kids happy seems like admitting defeat on the identity front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't care if we do or don't have a mascot. Those are for kids, so whatever. Doesn't hurt anyone to have one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we want TFC or football in general be cultural much like Europe, in that your kids' kids' kids all supported TFC, it should appeal to all age groups. Football by itself does not really do that. It's 2 hours of kicking a ball around, with the occasional excitement of a goal or something else.

Mascots help fill that 0-5 age group gap in terms of entertainment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay I'll say it, cause I can't sugar coat it any more. I've been baited by idiocy, I took it and I'm sorry.

It is INSANE that we discussing objections to a mascot. As long as the thing fucks off and doesn't stand in front of me during a match (a perfectly valid point from pdogg), I don't care and you shouldn't either.

We are still whiny bunch of dicks our best day. We want this and want that, and we sing this but not that, and not now, later and I include myself in that too because I am a total dick at times. But reading twitter and listening to Duncan and Dwayne is so thoroughly embarrassing for those associated with supporting this club that I want to literally go buy a fucking costume myself, hiring a bunch of other mascots and follow them around like stray dogs. Their drawn out, god damn Che Guevara corporate greed, anti-American bullshit rant is about a thing that exists only in the imagination of a survey for all we know. Of all the crap this team has pulled over the years, of all the shit they have done to slap us around, this is the equivalent of a terminally-ill, toothless midget flea on a dogs back and we are treating it like the cement girder that crushed the camel.

It is the quintessential #firstworldproblem, the kids going to see the game don't care how hard you are, or how Ultra you are. They want a fucking hug from a big soft thing and maybe a picture with it. It makes us all look like losers.

Huge. Fucking. Losers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Califax again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    Okay I'll say it, cause I can't sugar coat it any more. I've been baited by idiocy, I took it and I'm sorry.

It is INSANE that we discussing objections to a mascot. As long as the thing fucks off and doesn't stand in front of me during a match (a perfectly valid point from pdogg), I don't care and you shouldn't either.

We are still whiny bunch of dicks our best day. We want this and want that, and we sing this but not that, and not now, later and I include myself in that too because I am a total dick at times. But reading twitter and listening to Duncan and Dwayne is so thoroughly embarrassing for those associated with supporting this club that I want to literally go buy a fucking costume myself, hiring a bunch of other mascots and follow them around like stray dogs. Their drawn out, god damn Che Guevara corporate greed, anti-American bullshit rant is about a thing that exists only in the imagination of a survey for all we know. Of all the crap this team has pulled over the years, of all the shit they have done to slap us around, this is the equivalent of a terminally-ill, toothless midget flea on a dogs back and we are treating it like the cement girder that crushed the camel.

It is the quintessential #firstworldproblem, the kids going to see the game don't care how hard you are, or how Ultra you are. They want a fucking hug from a big soft thing and maybe a picture with it. It makes us all look like losers.

Huge. Fucking. Losers.
    Love it. So true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus fought the dinosaurs for everyone's right to complain, so I'm ok with that. But with a player strike looming that could (worst scenario) end division 1 fb in North America, stupid FO game day tricks are like 50th on my list of concerns.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Califax again.
    samsies.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    ^ I think we need a televised pre-season game. The void is being filled with ridiculousness now.
    So much this.

Less than a week of this left...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Yes, this same survey that was asking about mascots were also asking us who to start for TFC. Also, they asked about their off-season signings and if they could do more. lol
    Hahahahaha. this is funny and troubling.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC would be smart enough to not send this teddy bear dancing into 112, and the kids love it, so I don't care.

Rachel never came to 112

On that note, Id hug and take a picture with a giant towley from South Park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lack of drama on-field or player personnel is making our fanbase crazy (first captain issue and now this mascot issue). We need TFC to start playing games so we can focus what's going on the field instead off-field.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something like this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should be a budgie, in honor of Brian Budd.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really want a mascot, mainly because it is sort of a big thing in North America sports, they often make the mascot go in the stands and walk around and take peoples attention away from the game and do all sorts of stupid shit through out the game. If the mascot just came on when they had the players coming out before the game or something fine, or have him outside of the stadium greetings kids before the game that is fine, but I don't want them to make him the main attention like other sports teams do already, I don't want to see the mascot come out with a bunch of girls doing a team dance. Keep it simple if they bring a mascot out, otherwise whatever, just make the mascot piss off during the game.
    Last edited by james; 02-12-2015 at 06:14 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only one that I want running around the stands is the beer boy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge. Fucking. Losers.
    I agree completely well said. I cannot believe this is an actual issue. Much more important matters for our team and the league for that matter. It truly boggles my fucking mind.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone remember these from a few years back?

Yeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhh...some things are best left forgotten.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 02-12-2015 at 07:57 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge. Fucking. Losers.
    This should be nominated for the RPB message board rant HOF. Absolutely love it!

I hope this mascot is so cute and cliche it induces vomiting. Other than losing, the revolving coaching door, people leaving in the 70th minute to catch the train, and 10 other things, nothing annoys me more about TFC than some people's endless wanking for some perceived sense of authenticity.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The beauty of TFC games is that there is none of that manufactured atmosphere that every other club throws out there.
    Raptor games may be a bit different now that the team is winning, perhaps the atmosphere at the stadium is somewhat natural, but they still have an in-house DJ that plays music during the friggin play.
    The leafs big story this week was that they hired alan cross and his music library of 2500 songs (which wouldve been impressive before the invention of an ipod),
    The blue jays and argos are the same, every stoppage of play we are hit with contests, advertisements, kiss cams, that guy dancing to cotton eyed joe, etc.
    I don't want any of that garbage at TFC. Halftime, while I am getting another beer is fine.
    I have no problem with a mascot, they're good for the kids, but it better not be a gateway into the club trying to manufacture a gameday experience similar to their other properties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    The beauty of TFC games is that there is none of that manufactured atmosphere that every other club throws out there.
    Raptor games may be a bit different now that the team is winning, perhaps the atmosphere at the stadium is somewhat natural, but they still have an in-house DJ that plays music during the friggin play.
    The leafs big story this week was that they hired alan cross and his music library of 2500 songs (which wouldve been impressive before the invention of an ipod),
    The blue jays and argos are the same, every stoppage of play we are hit with contests, advertisements, kiss cams, that guy dancing to cotton eyed joe, etc.
    I don't want any of that garbage at TFC. Halftime, while I am getting another beer is fine.
    I have no problem with a mascot, they're good for the kids, but it better not be a gateway into the club trying to manufacture a gameday experience similar to their other properties.
    bingo