Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Altidore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore is great. Plus the players on the team absolutely love him. Giovinco especially who I think he shares the closest bond with. You can see it every time he scores a goal.

He seems like the type of guy who lights everyone up in the dressing room. For a season where he has been half injured and half on the USMNT team he's done a damn good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yah, season 2 is where i'll be holding judgment
    But so far Im happy

what im not happy with, not enough marketing of him in Toronto. He is a friendly giant freak of nature, he has TV all over him. Why do I not see him on frozen vegetable ads subbing in for the green giant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure where all this hate for Altidore comes from. He does exactly what I expected him to do, and hoped he would do. He creates space for Gio, who plays off him, he is a decent passer ( as far as his position is concenred) he mostly gets to the right space and gets the ball back to the right space, and when he gets an opportunity he finishes at a very decent rate. That is what you expect from your CF. I thought he was going to score 10-15. I am very happy with him.

With every player there are limitations, our best player can be criticized for not being a great defensive presence, but he does not need to be. Even Messi and Rolando cannot do everything right, that is why on the football field you tend to see five plus different types of players, because different positions call for different athletes and different skills sets, and even mentalities. (Bradley has the skills, physicality and footbal IQ to be an great CDM, but his aggressiveness makes him a liability for example).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read twice now "all this hate for Altidore" in recent posts. But when I read all the other posts from yesterday and today, I don't really see any hate. What gives? Most people seems quite happy with Altidore's output. Everyone is happy with his attitude especially compared with Defoe. The stats analysis above is illuminating -- looking even better than I thought. People have commented on confidence, injury impacts, etc. but that's not hate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I've read twice now "all this hate for Altidore" in recent posts. But when I read all the other posts from yesterday and today, I don't really see any hate. What gives? Most people seems quite happy with Altidore's output. Everyone is happy with his attitude especially compared with Defoe. The stats analysis above is illuminating -- looking even better than I thought. People have commented on confidence, injury impacts, etc. but that's not hate.
    Maybe not in this thread, but there's been plenty of discontent with his play in previous threads. The most recent example being the Chicago game thread where there were a lot of posts saying things like trade Altidore for Gilberto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Maybe not in this thread, but there's been plenty of discontent with his play in previous threads. The most recent example being the Chicago game thread where there were a lot of posts saying things like trade Altidore for Gilberto
    Game threads.

Where you could pretty much find any kind of hate.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Form the Chicago Thread:
    I wonder if Chicago would be dumb enough in the offseason to take Jozy straight up for Gilberto?
    - Jloome
    That would be sweet!
    - kwhisperer
    Goalberto>>>Altidore.
    - nonc
    When was the last time Jozy touched the ball?
    - Jloome
    That embarrassingly inept attempt in the box about 10 minutes ago.
    -kwhisperer
    Watch him run. He's so bulked up up top he can't swing his arms properly. I'm not kidding.
    - Jloome
    So Jozy. Does nothing all game, then....
    - Jloome
    Dozer is the best nickname ever for him. Suits every aspect of his game!
    - Jloome
    Altidore's first touch was atrocious today and I was getting more and more frustrated with him
    - notthesun
    Gilberto also hasn't had a strike partner like Giovinco. Gilberto is more complete and athletic than Altidore - I would love to see him together with Gio. Highly unlikely to happen, of course, but it's perfectly reasonable able to think Gilberto just might do better than Altidore.
    - kwhisperer
    If I had my druthers, I would have rather have had Gilberto up there - I think he'd have been a better fit. I might be wrong but it's not crazy talk.
    - kwhisperer

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ OK that makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I'm happy with the output, I'm not happy with his lack of consistency or that fact that he comes off as mentally weak. Kicking out at other players is never a good sign and we've seen him act foolishly on a few occasions throughout the season.

Having said that, I don't think we should trade him unless a situation comes up where it betters the club. Now let's see how things look midway though 2016.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    - notthesun
    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Altidore's first touch was atrocious today and I was getting more and more frustrated with him, but then he scored the winner... as usual, mixed feelings on him for me.
    Please don't quote me selectively to prove a point or fit a narrative. I hardly see how the above would qualify as "hate".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please don't quote me selectively to prove a point or fit a narrative.
    Um, this a forum, which is a platform for debate, of which i would think it is perfectly natural to pull previous speech from people to prove a point - you can simply clarify the context or if you changed your mind, etc. I don't think the person is trying to paint you in a negative light or anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But it's not hating on the player. I swear half the "debates" on this forum are spurred by over sensitivity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    Um, this a forum, which is a platform for debate, of which i would think it is perfectly natural to pull previous speech from people to prove a point - you can simply clarify the context or if you changed your mind, etc. I don't think the person is trying to paint you in a negative light or anything.
    I have no problem with anyone quoting anything I've said as long as it's done fairly. I don't think that was fair - given the post was made to show examples of "hate" for Altidore on this board - when what I said obviously does not qualify as hate unless you only quote the first part.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    But it's not hating on the player. I swear half the "debates" on this forum are spurred by over sensitivity.
    It's Oversensitivity or Over-sensitivity

NOT

Over Sensitivity!1!!1!

Gawd!~
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like...whatever

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    It's Oversensitivity or Over-sensitivity

NOT

Over Sensitivity!1!!1!

Gawd!~
    Hey I got the joke at least, nice one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    He is only 25, turning 26 later this year. Next season I think he will progress even further. Netting 12 in 25 is a great pace. If for the remainder of his contract he can net 12-15 in 30 then I will be happy.

He needs to shoot more and I wish he could be an aerial threat but that is just not in his game.
    Understatement of the century. He only has sixteen shots this season and eleven goals. That's almost unheard of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Understatement of the century. He only has sixteen shots this season and eleven goals. That's almost unheard of.
    8 goals on 16 shots sounds hella good but it seems like he needs the ball placed on a silver platter for him to take a shot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    8 goals on 16 shots sounds hella good but it seems like he needs the ball placed on a silver platter for him to take a shot.
    A lot of times he just isn't in the right spots. The burning question is whether that's the game plan or does Jozy just wander wide?

Regardless, he's done the job and he's trending up at the right time of year. He's had his freak out moments but I'll buy what he said in his interview that he had an off field issue that affected his game on top of the injuries. He said it was cleared up in the summer and that coincides with his upturn in form. Things happen and for the most part, he's been a quality 2nd forward. Could he be better? Of course but it's not like we got the falling over the ball in Sunderland Jozy here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    I guess if you're cynical you'd say the only stat that matters is goals... But I completely agree with your point. I'd like to see him be a little more aggressive out there in front of goal.

The off field issue mentioned makes sense. He really looked out of it a few games there but he bounced back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no problem with anyone quoting anything I've said as long as it's done fairly. I don't think that was fair - given the post was made to show examples of "hate" for Altidore on this board - when what I said obviously does not qualify as hate unless you only quote the first part.

I see I was also quoted a few times there to show how there is "hate" for Altidore on the board, yet in the same messages I also praised Altidore's good qualities and made the point that I like and root for him. Hardly justifies the overly-used H-word.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I swear half the "debates" on this forum are spurred by over sensitivity.
    How dare you talk about me like that!

There's actually so much truth to this statement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I'll fucking kill that straw man."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he really could work on his aerial game

there really isnt any excuse for not being better at it, hes tall and thick, it should be admn near impossible for someone to win the ball in the air from him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please quote me selectively to prove a point. I see how the above would qualify as "hate".
    Fair point.

Just kidding. For those that didn't notice I removed some words in the above quote to fit my narrative.

But back on point I simply scanned the Chicago game thread and pulled where people were mentioning Jozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    yah, season 2 is where i'll be holding judgment
    But so far Im happy

what im not happy with, not enough marketing of him in Toronto. He is a friendly giant freak of nature, he has TV all over him. Why do I not see him on frozen vegetable ads subbing in for the green giant
    Unfortunately, I think most people in this city have no clue who he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Unfortunately, I think most people in this city have no clue who he is.
    he's more recognizable to a lot of people in this city than Giovinco. it's weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    he's more recognizable to a lot of people in this city than Giovinco. it's weird.
    That's cause he's closer to eye level with most people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The waiter at the restaurant I ate at last night mentioned Giovinco. Apparently his awesome goal from a few weeks back went somewhat viral.

On the Jozy topic, I've liked him from the very beginning. He is one of my favourites. Chemistry is important and he is a positive force on the other players. Unlike Defoe who was so negative and dragged everyone down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not true. Seba has made headlines and front page of many sports media outlets throughout the year while Jozy's exposure is very limited.