Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Altidore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    Gilberto is more skilled. That's just a fact. My other point was that Gilberto and giovinco are more in line than Altidore. Growing up in Brazil his soccer IQ is similar to giovinco. I will take any bet from anyone who thinks altidore scores more goals than Gilberto assuming they are both in mls this year.

Yeah I lost that bet last year to Canary with respect to Urruti and Gilberto, it would be par for the course if Gilberto then outscores Altidore for an opposing MLS team this up coming season.

Pretty sweet that we have two strikers and a DM playing better for other teams than their replacements here at TFC.

I'm perennially optimistic and naive when it comes to this club though... and this year TFC, Giovinco, Altidore, Gilberto (that's right.. he's staying), Bradley et al are going to tear this league apart!

PS. Canary, I still owe you a beer I think for that Urruti bet....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Okay sure would love too. But theres no facts based on this it's just opinion. I think Gilberto will have a good season, would actually literally put money on him scoring more then 15 goals in MLS. I think he's a hell of a player and would gladly put a friendly wager on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    That's not unprecedent. Just leave the actual money betting to real life interactions. Not here. There's plenty of friendly beer wagers that happen every year if you're that interested. I'm sure someone would take you up on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    I will take any bet from anyone who thinks altidore scores more goals than Gilberto assuming they are both in mls this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Yeah I lost that bet last year to Canary with respect to Urruti and Gilberto, it would be par for the course if Gilberto then outscores Altidore for an opposing MLS team this up coming season.

Pretty sweet that we have two strikers and a DM playing better for other teams than their replacements here at TFC.

I'm perennially optimistic and naive when it comes to this club though... and this year TFC, Giovinco, Altidore, Gilberto (that's right.. he's staying), Bradley et al are going to tear this league apart!

PS. Canary, I still owe you a beer I think for that Urruti bet....
    Calling - DEFOE!!!

I knew an example wasn't far away!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumping.

Jozy reached the 11 that Defoe got last year. And now the the 12th several people expected out of him. Worthy of mention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy has found his groove, now, for sure. Making use of that size, and, poaching like he needs to! Has a decent shot at 14 with three games (if he doesn't miss the energy drink game) left.
    Last edited by FRANKIE65; 10-05-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like how his give a fuck meter is much higher than the waste of space he replaced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely a respectable output given his injuries and international call ups. However, when you take into account several PKs, a few Luke Mooreish goals and 0 assists, it hasn't left us with much of a game changer. Can't help but feel that with his absurdly high salary and his market value in the States, a trade really would benefit this team in the offseason. You just know he would kill TFC though. For now he's definitely a TFC player and I enjoy watching the ox tossing opposing defenders around.
    Last edited by Bobo; 10-05-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is only 25, turning 26 later this year. Next season I think he will progress even further. Netting 12 in 25 is a great pace. If for the remainder of his contract he can net 12-15 in 30 then I will be happy.

He needs to shoot more and I wish he could be an aerial threat but that is just not in his game.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Definitely a respectable output given his injuries and international call ups. However, when you take into account several PKs, a few Luke Mooreish goals and 0 assists, it hasn't left us with much of a game changer. Can't help but feel that with his absurdly high salary and his market value in the States, a trade really would benefit this team in the offseason. You just know he would kill TFC though. For now he's definitely a TFC player and I enjoy watching the ox tossing opposing defenders around.
    When we made countless critiques on the decision of Altidore for Defoe and he's delivered the same number I call it a win. I'm not worried about any other dollar value comparison this year with a Seba in our teamsheet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we made countless critiques on the decision of Altidore for Defoe and he's delivered the same number I call it a win. I'm not worried about any other dollar value comparison this year with a Seba in our teamsheet.
    Plus the passion and just the fact that he is happy to be here makes him far more attractive than how JD was conducting himself towards the end of last season.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumping.

Jozy reached the 11 that Defoe got last year. And now the the 12th several people expected out of him. Worthy of mention.
    Jozy's a bloody big deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    I like how his give a fuck meter is much higher than the waste of space he replaced.
    If you replace a player with a bad attitude with an equivalent or better producing one with a good attitude, it's a win for sure.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore for Defoe was genius swap, of course the stars had to align for it to happen but thats a deal I make any day if given the chance.

Onwards and upwards for him I think, having Altidore slink in behind Giovinco is amazing option to have on offense going forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus altidore plays second fiddle and doesn't complain about it. Can you imagine Defoe screaming at giovinco for not passing to him every time he takes a shot himself? The scary thing is that I can imagine it quite vividly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Plus altidore plays second fiddle and doesn't complain about it. Can you imagine Defoe screaming at giovinco for not passing to him every time he takes a shot himself? The scary thing is that I can imagine it quite vividly.
    I didn't think about that, oh man that would have been brutal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I didn't think about that, oh man that would have been brutal.
    Well Gilberto was subject to that last year with Defoe, so with Seba here this year with his amazing shot on net rate and goals it is quite refreshing that Jozy is here now and not Jermain.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would still say Altidore is overpaid for his output compared to other forwards in the league. Confidence is crucial for Altidore, so things can go either way for him. It really helps that he's still farely young. In any case, Altidore was the price for getting rid of Defoe. Both clubs and the players wanted to save some face. So good output & good attitude means it's a win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy gets a B/B+ for 2015. Showed flashes, overall scoring rate was OK. Mostly buries his chances. Got hurt, I think that affected him for a lot of the year (may still be bothering him).

Can't create like Gio can so he's a lot more exposed to our MF issues.

Lots of reasons to hope for more next year.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When he is on Jozy is a real contributor, when he is off its hard to get angry with him. Better fit for TFC for sure, although as a pure goal scorer in this league Deofe was way ahead. I see the transactions as Givoinco for Defoe and Jozy for Gilberto. Looked at that way, it's a massive upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We also have to remember that Sunderland destroyed his confidence as a striker, some players don't ever come back from doing nothing for two years, especially when you are playing as a striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His strike rate pro rated over a full season is 16 goals. Can't ask for much more than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Jozy gets a B/B+ for 2015. Showed flashes, overall scoring rate was OK. Mostly buries his chances. Got hurt, I think that affected him for a lot of the year (may still be bothering him).

Can't create like Gio can so he's a lot more exposed to our MF issues.

Lots of reasons to hope for more next year.
    What's crazy is we have put up a ton of goals and it could still get better. Better fullback play / wide options could completely open the floodgates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    What's crazy is we have put up a ton of goals and it could still get better. Better fullback play / wide options could completely open the floodgates.
    At both ends....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    At both ends....
    Yeah that too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    We also have to remember that Sunderland destroyed his confidence as a striker, some players don't ever come back from doing nothing for two years, especially when you are playing as a striker.
    but we had to take a $4.75M chance on that...just saying

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His hamstring may be a very major problem, not sure he has been right since the WC.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    His hamstring may be a very major problem, not sure he has been right since the WC.
    He hasn't been the same since his injury, no question. Credit to him for still being able to contribute when he's had opportunities though. I think he is one of the most clinical finishers we've ever had. Reminds me of Koevermans in that regard in that he doesn't waste many scoring chances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a bit eager to see how JA does next season. While there is a danger that he might become complacent, I'm optimistic that increased stability in his situation (playing and otherwise) might pay dividends next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore - could become the Kessel of TFC

I thought he would have made a bigger splash - but he is scoring goals and it's all good for the cause.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeGuy View Post
    Altidore - could become the Kessel of TFC

What uncommunicative, combative, spoiled rotten, dismissive of the fans and eventually traded to Pittsburgh?

Don't think so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get all the Altidore hate. Statistically he's been our second best striker ever (behind Gio) while having to play with a teammate who's taken 174 shots (same guy) to his 34. All this while recovering from a lingering hammy injury.

He's currently #10 in MLS for goals with 12 Goals and 0.63 Goals per 90. In a single season only Gio and Dero have scored more Goals while only Danny K & JD have had a better G/90.

USMNT forwards in MLS:
    Altidore - 24 GP, 1706 Min, 12 Goals, 34 shots, 0.63 G/90
    Dempsey - 18 GP, 1587 Min, 8 Goals, 55 shots, 0.45 G/90
    Wondo - 29 GP, 2508 Min, 16 Goals, 85 shots, 0.57 G/90
    Zardes - 27 GP, 2274 Min, 6 Goals, 41 shots, 0,24 G/90

For S&G's our top 2 goal scorers each year:
    2014 - Jermaine Defoe - 11 Goals and 0.65 G/90
    2014 - Gilberto - 7 Goal and 0.32 G/90
    2013 - Earnshaw - 8 goals and 0.38 G/90
    2013 - Osario - 5 goals and 0.27 G/90
    2012 - Danny K - 9 goals and 0.67 G/90
    2012 - R Johnson - 7 Goals and 0.23 G/90
    2011 - Danny K - 8 Goals and 0.95 G/90
    2011 - M Santos - 6 Goals and 0.43 G/90
    2010 - Dero - 15 Goals and 0.61 G/90
    2010 - Barrett - 7 Goals and 0.41 G/90
    2009 - Dero - 11 Goals and 0.41 G/90
    2009 - Guevera - 5 Goals and 0.23 G/90
    2008 - DD - 5 Goals and 0.31 G/90
    2008 - Barrett - 4 Goals and 0.36 G/90
    2007 - DD - 6 Goal and 0.46 G/90
    2007 - Edu - 4 goals and 0.17 G/90

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Top Scorers

It is amazing to see how few goals our top scorers were scoring in the past.