Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Remember the days when folks around here were envying how the built there team and thinking we should emulate it?
    Like, for example, how there is going to be virtually zero chance of a CFL team ever playing at their stadium? Yeah, to be honest, I kinda wish were totally like them in at least that regard.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 02-21-2015 at 04:14 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    lulz

What in the f!%# did I just watch?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Like, for example, how there is going to be virtualy zero chance of a CFL team ever playing at their stadium? Yeah, to be honest, I kinda wish were totally like them in at least that regard.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Love it.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I dislike the Impact, having them around and being competitive is not only good for Professional soccer in this country but also a good rivalry for TFC. The Columbus rivalry was more manufactured. This one feels authentic. No matter where I have lived, I circle the Montreal games on my calendar.

The rivalry would be just no fun if they didn't care. It would be even worse if they disappeared.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate the impact, hate Columbus. Only thing in my mind that was manufactured about the Columbus TFC rivalry was the cup. Went to two away games there and the rivalry seemed very real to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its Saputo himself. The whole time this team has been around its looked like his all Italian personal toy.
    firing jesse marsch so he could bring in another italian, Inter uniforms, Old italian DP's, Its come off very cheesy.
    The marketing and the vision never worked, nobody is interested in the team saputo envisions and now its showing.
    A small market, finicky fans, bad marketing, bad weather, bad dp's, bad quebec representation, etc et al
    There will be a team in Montreal moving forward but I dont see it getting better under saputo's reign.
    I can see him selling it and playing with his new toy in Italy. Montreal market is valuable if managed right as a small market opportunity.
    He's so pissed watching TFC make moves is what this is all about.
    Theyre not and he cant compete with us.
    Last edited by dutch; 02-20-2015 at 01:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever is going on in terms of fan support, is one thing, but in terms of stadium they have a good one, and in terms on on the field results they have done better then us in a shorter period.

I do not know enough about the Montreal market to comment on the season ticket issue, but from what I see from the Habs, even their number goes down after a losing season, like anywhere else in the world except here. So the combination of a smaller market, not just in terms of size but in terms of football interest, makes it tougher. I am sure they will do fine.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Whatever is going on in terms of fan support, is one thing, but in terms of stadium they have a good one, and in terms on on the field results they have done better then us in a shorter period.

I do not know enough about the Montreal market to comment on the season ticket issue, but from what I see from the Habs, even their number goes down after a losing season, like anywhere else in the world except here. So the combination of a smaller market, not just in terms of size but in terms of football interest, makes it tougher. I am sure they will do fine.

While I agree that Toronto is far more patient than most places in the world the situation in Montreal is newsworthy not because some fans aren't showing up but because the owner is complaining about it. That doesn't happen everywhere else in the world.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 02-20-2015 at 03:12 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Hate the impact, hate Columbus. Only thing in my mind that was manufactured about the Columbus TFC rivalry was the cup. Went to two away games there and the rivalry seemed very real to me.
    Hates me some Crew, Some Shite Bulls, some L'Impact and The Sounders, of course. Also hate their fans. Not really, just the jerks. But you know what I mean.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Hates me some Crew, Some Shite Bulls, some L'Impact and The Sounders, of course. Also hate their fans. Not really, just the jerks. But you know what I mean.
    all too damn well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your going to criticize someone make sure you get your facts right. Saputo fired Jesse Marsch to bring in an Italian coach, so tell me which Italian coach did he bring in after he fired Marsch? He brought old Italian DP's, well the old Italian DP did very well DiVaio and the others did a lot better than many of the past DP's that this organization brought in, where do you want me to start? Inter uniforms? really! While I think that Saputo's expectation for his team are a little overblown, thinking that his franchise deserves better support in the stands even after a disastrous 2014 season, I don't think attendance dipped because of Saputo's vision of his club, it has dipped because Montreal like in all it's sports team are very demanding you win they will come out you lose and attendance takes a hit that is just the way Montreal is. Saputo is not going anywhere, if it was not for the Saputos there would not be soccer in Montreal and no soccer specific stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    If your going to criticize someone make sure you get your facts right. Saputo fired Jesse Marsch to bring in an Italian coach, so tell me which Italian coach did he bring in after he fired Marsch? He brought old Italian DP's, well the old Italian DP did very well DiVaio and the others did a lot better than many of the past DP's that this organization brought in, where do you want me to start? Inter uniforms? really! While I think that Saputo's expectation for his team are a little overblown, thinking that his franchise deserves better support in the stands even after a disastrous 2014 season, I don't think attendance dipped because of Saputo's vision of his club, it has dipped because Montreal like in all it's sports team are very demanding you win they will come out you lose and attendance takes a hit that is just the way Montreal is. Saputo is not going anywhere, if it was not for the Saputos there would not be soccer in Montreal and no soccer specific stadium.
    Come on man, you can't be a Montreal apologist on a TFC forum!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schallibaum is Swiss, not Italian
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Schallibaum is Swiss, not Italian
    Bahahahaha.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ugh. All this talk of rivalries makes me virtually unable to wait for the season to start. How long do i have to wait to follow the boys to either Columbus or MTL?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In perspective, the Italian pet project in Montreal hasn't failed nearly as hard as TFC.

Hopefully, the Montreal Impact will provide a heated and quality rivalry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reality is in football terms - is that Montreal has been more successfull than Toronto in their three short years. Saputo's comments are business related - TFC has made more money and spent more money and is good at marketing. Him saying that after one bad season is shamefull. Toronto fans have endured a pathetic effort at building a sport franchise.. The fact that the franchise still goes is a minor miracle. Hopefully this season we see a turn-around. Too bad that Canadians couldn't do it - if TFC succeeds it will be Vanney - Bradley - Altidore - and Bezbetchenko that we have to thank. Time to step it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like theyres Montreal fans in here. To explain myself, My family is Swiss. There are 5 languages in Switzerland and 4 Ethnicities. There is a common myth that Swiss people all know 7 languages but its not like that, Italian isnt even fluent outside of the areas of Davos, St Moritz and Luganos. You can spot an Italian from a German in Switzerland as easily as you can in Italy or Canada. Schallibaum is distinctly Italian in linguistics and appaerance. I guess I read into that but I stand firm on it. He was hired for his european roots and that its Saputos vision not the fans.

“We always said we wanted to get a European,” said Saputo. “Getting into MLS, we were told that it’s different, that you need to have American experience, so that’s what we went for"
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/new-coach-schallibaum-brings-language-skills-to-impact/article7074572/

"They started the campaign with a mostly North American line-up playing a heavy running game, but during the season management brought in a succession of veteran players from Italy and Switzerland that changed the chemistry on and off the pitch"
    "S
    aputo said that is what he and the club's fans wanted, and now he hopes he has the coach to perfect that style"
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/new-coach-schallibaum-brings-european-style-to-montreal-impact-1.1370062

Many people are Italian even though theyre not born there, Danny Dichio from London for instance.

Look they bought Italian every chance they could, DP's were italian and they were old and yes they did better than TFC's DP's but thats not the point.
    The point is they bought Italian every chance they could. and it wasnt the best vision for a new team in Montreal.

They did better than TFC in half the time, but thats not what we're talking about. Again..Theyre not TFC and cant be compared.

Why do you attack me like I insulted your Family? lol no need bro

Last edited by dutch; 02-21-2015 at 02:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"DiVaio and the others did a lot better than many of the past DP's that this organization brought in"

"Inter uniforms? really!" --
    TFC kits have never looked like L.F.C replicas. L'impact have used many of the same colors and stripe variations on Inter kits.

"Saputo is not going anywhere, if it was not for the Saputos there would not be soccer in Montreal"

You cannot tell me this guy is a Red blooded Toronto FC Supporter, For one second..
    Last edited by dutch; 02-21-2015 at 02:18 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the unfortunate, perhaps short term, issues I have with Montreal isn't their purchases but the lack of any playing time for young Canadians. Look at TFC's line up and you see a vision to help further this country's national team. I know its not a club's side responsibility to do this but I'm glad, and proud, that TFC has made it their prerogative. You potentially claim Vancouver is guilty of this as well but at least they have some youth but more importantly their residency is really producing talent. The issue becomes clearer when you see Canada release its u15 to u20 rosters and its stacked with Vancouver and Toronto products but nothing from Montreal, maybe a player or two at the younger level. That's awful.

Perhaps this will change as I know they do have an academy and FC Montreal is coming, but as of now, Mtl needs to pick it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me say this again if attendance is has slipped in Montreal it's due to the crap performance on the field not the "Italian experiment", furthermore, the attendance figures for Montreal were not that bad considering. Saputo like someone mentioned is an idiot for making the statements he did after just one terrible season, what did he expect? Let's all remember what pro soccer was for many years between the folding of the old NASL in 1984 and the start of the MLS in 1996, pro soccer was dead , leagues came and went between those years. Attendances of 3000 where considered great in the different leagues that existed between those years. If someone had said that there would be a league like the MLS in North America where the majority of teams where playing in soccer specific stadiums and where the league average in attendance was around 18000, people would think you were nuts. So a guy like Saputo and many others need to be careful with expectations and remember where pro soccer was not many years ago.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 02-21-2015 at 06:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dutch View Post

Inter uniforms? really!" -- TFC kits have never looked like L.F.C replicas. L'impact have used many of the same colors and stripe variations on Inter kits.
    To be fair there is only so much you can do with a red jersey tbh. Look at last year's jersey there is no way LFC would ever had the intricate maple leaf design on there jersey or anything like that.

That's said please don't turn this into a who's a really supporter or fan. Judging people on there allegiances won't be tolerated.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 02-21-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get it and I understand.
    Your allowed to follow multiple teams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    One of the unfortunate, perhaps short term, issues I have with Montreal isn't their purchases but the lack of any playing time for young Canadians. Look at TFC's line up and you see a vision to help further this country's national team. I know its not a club's side responsibility to do this but I'm glad, and proud, that TFC has made it their prerogative. You potentially claim Vancouver is guilty of this as well but at least they have some youth but more importantly their residency is really producing talent. The issue becomes clearer when you see Canada release its u15 to u20 rosters and its stacked with Vancouver and Toronto products but nothing from Montreal, maybe a player or two at the younger level. That's awful.

Perhaps this will change as I know they do have an academy and FC Montreal is coming, but as of now, Mtl needs to pick it up.
    They have quite a few talented young canadians who got a lot of playing time last season. They have a smaller pool to draw from then us an Vancouver and are still doing a fair bit to contribute. They're getting there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always take the idea of "deserved" support with a grain of salt. In many ways your market is your market. That means Montrealers typically buy game day tickets and draw to "event" type games more so than Toronto where our support is a little more sticky regardless of how the team does.

I'm not sure what saputo's attempting to accomplish. Berating your customers has never been a particularly effective strategy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mtl at pachuca 10PM. CCL knockout stage 1st leg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal would be looked good if they had a DP striker. I just don't see Oduro and Jack Mac getting the job done up top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    Montreal would be looked good if they had a DP striker. I just don't see Oduro and Jack Mac getting the job done up top.
    I simply can't see them getting anywhere with Klopas. He's about as out-dated as you get in the league these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MTL up 1-0 in Mexico, Frank Klopas has his team very organized.