Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can somebody explain to me point by point how Montreal winning the CCL is good for TFC? And don't tell me it motivates the players because I sincerely doubt that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More exposure
    League taken more seriously
    High tempo experience for players
    Fans take it up a notch

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I look at it this way: When I lived in Edinburgh my local team was Hibernian. I watched Hibs play Rangers and Celtic and all the other Scottish clubs all the time, and I never wanted to see anyone but my Hibs do well in the league. But when it came time for Champions League and UEFA Cup (now Europa League) and all the other international club competitions, I'd cheer for any Scottish club that made it. Why? Because at the end of the day it was for the betterment of all Scottish soccer. I think the same applies here as well. Canadian soccer, in general, benefits when out clubs can take on other teams in CONCACAF beyond who we play in our league.
    Yes I've listened to enough BBC sports Scotland SportSound over the years to get the healthy dose of UEFA or FIFA quotient talks to make anyone mad. While I see the logic in it the comparison isn't exact since we have to share a league with another nation. But supporters logic has winding roads in it doesn't it?

I'd hope everyone knows where I stand on Country vs Club but I have no problem separating the two. Maybe I feel like supporting Canada as much as I can I don't care to take the hit of watching club rivals.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the feelings are mutual. I cant really see an Impact fan hoping TFC or Van do well in the CCL, you know with the whole separatism thing going on in that province.

I do think its really good for Canada though, it raises the international awareness which MLS cant do. Being the best club on the continent is much better than doing well in MLS, its not like Liga MX is some joke league, its still far better overall than MLS and has produced many great players over the years.
    Last edited by Richard; 03-04-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i didn't read any support on impact forums during our CCL matches against cruz azul. none.
    it was all "fuck TFC" this and "i hope they fall on their faces" that.

does it raise the profile of the league if they win? of course it will.
    does it raise the profile of canadian soccer if they win? of course it will.
    but do i want ANY other team than the impact to win this thing? you'd better fucking believe it.

i cannot, for any reason "root" for a team who'll only turn around and throw any CCL success back in our faces at the first possible opportunity. do you think they care about raising the leagues profile? do you think they care about making soccer in this country look good? no. everyone else does, but i doubt they give a fuck and nothing i've read from their supporters seems to suggest that. after all.. this is the same group of supporters who, given the role reversal, find it funny that our team has yet to make the playoffs. where was the talk about raising the canadian profile when we first entered the league? or when we made our CCL run? it was nowhere to be found because they don't give a fuck. they want to see their team succeed, they want to see their team win trophies.

fuck the impact.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Can somebody explain to me point by point how Montreal winning the CCL is good for TFC? And don't tell me it motivates the players because I sincerely doubt that.
    Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    More exposure
    League taken more seriously
    High tempo experience for players
    Fans take it up a notch
    Swade mentions 4 good points right there, but let me add another.

Motivation - but no so much for the players as you mention.

The success of our rivals should fuel our own motivation as a club to do even better. This is partly why we watch videos of other groups doing tifos, or read up on the transactions of players and coaches to other teams, or look at the news of other MLS clubs who are building or planning to build new stadia. Believe it or not, it can be a pretty persuasive argument to say: "Hey, if this team can do this or that team can, why can't we?!"

Here's a great example: "If the *sigh* fucking Montreal Impact can make their way into the CCL semi-finals with all their shitty players and shitty fans in their shitty city, then there's no good reason why Toronto can't! with it's SUPERIOR players and supporters."
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 03-04-2015 at 02:20 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    i didn't read any support on impact forums during our CCL matches against cruz azul. none.

but do i want ANY other team than the impact to win this thing? you'd better fucking believe it.

i cannot, for any reason "root" for a team who'll only turn around and throw any CCL success back in our faces at the first possible opportunity. do you think they care about raising the leagues profile? do you think they care about making soccer in this country look good? no. everyone else does, but i doubt they give a fuck and nothing i've read from their supporters seems to suggest that. after all.. this is the same group of supporters who, given the role reversal, find it funny that our team has yet to make the playoffs. where was the talk about raising the canadian profile when we first entered the league? or when we made our CCL run? it was nowhere to be found because they don't give a fuck. they want to see their team succeed, they want to see their team win trophies.

fuck the impact.
    Celine Dion?

Condom on?
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    There's "a lot" of us? Cool. The more the merrier but it sure don't feel that way most days. Don't worry, I'll carry on.
    I wouldn't say I'm cheering for MTL at all. I would say that I'm not extremely disappointed they made it through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck the impact.
    This is my exact feeling. If it was Vancouver, I wouldn't wish them any ill in the CCL.

But Impact fans are a nasty bunch who you only hear when they're winning

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do you eat Saputo cheese?

Saputo cheese on your knees?
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I don't think the feelings are mutual. I cant really see an Impact fan hoping TFC or Van do well in the CCL, you know with the whole separatism thing going on in that province.
    So what if the feelings aren't mutual? So what if Limpact fans didn't support us when were were in a similar position?

Personally, I think most Limpact fans are petty little whinny bitches, so I'm not going to benchmark what I do or think based on anything they do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck the impact.
    yep, this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    So what if the feelings aren't mutual? So what if Limpact fans didn't support us when were were in a similar position?

Personally, I think most Limpact fans are petty little whinny bitches, so I'm not going to benchmark what I do or think based on anything they do.
    Yup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Swade mentions 4 good points right there, but let me add another.

Motivation - but no so much for the players as you mention.

The success of our rivals should fuel our own motivation as a club to do even better. This is partly why we watch videos of other groups doing tifos, or read up on the transactions of players and coaches to other teams, or look at the news of other MLS clubs who are building or planning to build new stadia. Believe it or not, it can be a pretty persuasive argument to say: "Hey, if this team can do this or that team can, why can't we?!"

Here's a great example: "If the *sigh* fucking Montreal Impact can make their way into the CCL semi-finals with all their shitty players and shitty fans in their shitty city, then there's no good reason why Toronto can't! with it's SUPERIOR players and supporters."
    But we have gone this far. In 2012 we went to the CCL semi finals against Santos Laguna.

I suppose yes, it could motivate the organization to strive for continental greatness, but in in the end that comes down to whether or not the current manager values it over the domestic league (see:Nelsen). Either way it's a bit convoluted to suggest Montreal's success would influence such a decision.

Regarding the fans, I don't see how Montreal winning helps there either. BMO can barely get 12k for CCL group stage games, that could change with TFC success in the CCL but Montreal's will have little if any effect on our ability to hype up fans.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Regarding the fans, I don't see how Montreal winning helps there either. BMO can barely get 12k for CCL group stage games, that could change with TFC success in the CCL but Montreal's will have little if any effect on our ability to hype up fans.
    If MTL made it to the Club World Cup and played some big names, it would raise the profile of continental competition immensely.

I don't think that they will, but some day some MLS club will win the CCL and then we'll see.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If MTL made it to the Club World Cup and played some big names, it would raise the profile of continental competition immensely.

I don't think that they will, but some day some MLS club will win the CCL and then we'll see.
    If TFC wants to become a global brand, then playing in Club World Cup could help them a lot more than winning MLS Cup (don't get me wrong, I want TFC playing in every competition such Supporters Sheild, MLS Cup, CCL and even CWC one day).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post

i understand the bigger man argument. i really do, but you can only be the bigger man if the other party resolves to put aside their resentment as well. that won't happen anytime soon. it'll be a wholly one sided affair. it's the equivalent of being happy for an ex finding a new parter after they've treated you like shit for 8 years. call it bitterness, whatever, it still won't change the fact that it:

- won't stop them from ripping up our seats.
    - won't stop them from challenging random TFC fans to fights.
    - won't stop them from hurling batteries, coins, drinks and spit at families and fans trying to leave BMO.
    - won't stop them from stealing a banners joe paid for so they could lay it down at their bar and walk all over it.
    - won't stop them from vandalizing our bar, our stadium or the route there.

we've already proved we're classier than they are for not doing any of this, but where does that leave us after the fact? cheering them on in the CCL? what if they make a run at the supporters shield, or cup? are we going to hope that they do well under the pretence of "canadian soccer" or an "MLS profile"? is a slight increase in the canadian soccer/MLS profile worth them holding a cup over our/the rest of the leagues heads until we win one? especially knowing that they'll keep doing the same stupid shit they always do? not to me.

i'm not trying to play to extremes, i'm only trying to present the argument i subscribe to.
    Last edited by __wowza; 03-04-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i understand the bigger man argument. i really do, but you can only be the bigger man if the other party resolves to put aside their resentment as well. that won't happen anytime soon. it'll be a wholly one sided affair. it's the equivalent of being happy for an ex finding a new parter after they've treated you like shit for 8 years. call it bitterness, whatever, it still won't change the fact that it:

- that won't stop them from ripping up our seats.
    - that won't stop them from challenging random TFC fans to fights.
    - that won't stop them from hurling batteries, coins, drinks and spit at families and fans trying to leave BMO.
    - that won't stop them from stealing a banners joe paid for so they could lay it down at their bar and walk all over it.
    - that won't stop them from vandalizing our bar, our stadium or the route there.

we've already proved we're classier than they are for not doing any of this, but where does that leave us after the fact? cheering them on in the CCL? what if they make a run at the supporters shield, or cup? are we going to hope that they do well under the pretence of "canadian soccer" or an "MLS profile"? is a slight increase in the canadian soccer/MLS profile worth them holding a cup over our/the rest of the leagues heads until we win one? especially knowing that they'll keep doing the same stupid shit they always do? not to me.

i'm not trying to play to extremes, i'm only trying to present the argument i subscribe to.
    And a lot of us subscribe too! preach brother wowza...... Testify!

Fuck Montreal period. Could care less about raising this and raising that. If it was Edmonton, Ottawa, Hell even Vancouver (which I hope it won't be so they never get a hold of the Voyageurs Cup) then I wouldn't mind the hey wish ya the best.

Montreal fuck them. I hope they crash out just like they did in the playoffs and show what kind of team they are. Just like there supporters classless shit heads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the deal.... I support a Canadian Team representing the Canadian slot in an international football competition.

I give a rates ass about limpact players... they got 38k for quarter final match they didn't paper. The first time they went to Quarters it was a big deal.

This is the second time a Canadian team has gone to the Semis... and there is a half way decent chance they may go to the finals. (don't think they will beat Atlante)

This means that 2 Canadian Clubs and 3 American Clubs have seen the semi finals since 2008.

Yet Guatamala is a Pot A country and Canada is a Pot B country... why?

Why does Costa Rica with a 12 team top division have 3 spots but Canada with 5 regularly making it to the late stages only have 1?

Edit (originally I called out Honduras who have had 4 Quarter Final Appearances.. I meant Guatamala who have had 2.. I got the flags confused for some reason)
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-04-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guatemala and Costa Rica have a top division while Canada does not. They discriminate against Canada because we are in the MLS, when its comes to soccer we're like a third world country.

In addition we play a cup tourney of 4 clubs, that's nothing compared to a full season, even a division with 12 teams is better than nothing at all.

It kind of is shameful that we don't have a Div. 1 league throughout Canada, but unfortunately their isn't enough revenue in the game to cover the costs it would take to run a nation wide league.

The NA/CA combined sports leagues doesn't really happen anywhere else, it doesn't favour us at all since we only have 3 relevant clubs in all of Canada playing in MLS.

Its always going to be an uphill fight when you don't even have a league, were just piggybacking off MLS. Three Canadian clubs cant make a league, we don't even have enough support like the CFL does out in western Canada.
    Last edited by Richard; 03-04-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello TFC fans,

first of all, i'm an impact fan and a french speaker québécois. My english is pretty bad to. That's a bad start for me !!!

just want to tell you that we are a lot of fans around here that are not TFC haters. And, yes, we supported TFC against Santos Laguna in CCL ! Yesterday we were 38 000 at the olympic stadium. How many of these fans are TFC haters ? Maybe 300. And how many of them are writing some shit about your team on montreal forums ? Maybe 50 !!!

I'm a little bit tired to hear that we are some kind of angry, unclass separatists who are cheering each time that TFC loose a game. A lot of fans around here have canadian soccer at heart. You know, we can find some bad fans in Montreal, in Toronto, in Vancouver, even in barcelona ! But there is some respectual fans everywhere to.

i wish TFC fans a great season ! Let's make a classy rivality with are teams !

sorry again for my poor english !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
    Hello TFC fans,

first of all, i'm an impact fan and a french speaker québécois. My english is pretty bad to. That's a bad start for me !!!

just want to tell you that we are a lot of fans around here that are not TFC haters. And, yes, we supported TFC against Santos Laguna in CCL ! Yesterday we were 38 000 at the olympic stadium. How many of these fans are TFC haters ? Maybe 300. And how many of them are writing some shit about your team on montreal forums ? Maybe 50 !!!

I'm a little bit tired to hear that we are some kind of angry, unclass separatists who are cheering each time that TFC loose a game. A lot of fans around here have canadian soccer at heart. You know, we can find some bad fans in Montreal, in Toronto, in Vancouver, even in barcelona ! But there is some respectual fans everywhere to.

i wish TFC fans a great season ! Let's make a classy rivality with are teams !

sorry again for my poor english !
    Cheers Dan!

As I said above, I don't think everyone on this board can ever come to agreement on cheering/quietly supporting/at least not hating/or absolutely hating that the Impact made it through to the next round. Let's just agree to disagree! I don't think anyone is going to get convinced either way, even if this thread goes to 100 pages. I think everyone realizes it's a very touchy subject, and people will make up their mind the way that fits them best.

Let's also be kind to "Dan the man" here. I know about the problems that have happened during some of the Impact games, both here & in Montreal. But my family & I had an awesome time whenever we were in Montreal -- either for a TFC game, or just to visit. We were always treated well, at the stadium & elsewhere, even (or especially) when walking around wearing TFC gear.

I know that others have had different experiences. But realize that Dan & other classy Impact fans can't control the goons, just like we can't control the folks that show up late and leave early en mass at BMO Field; we can't control the few real idiot TFC fans I saw in Montreal; and some of the other annoyances we have seen from TFC fans.

Anyway, let's hope we even have an MLS season, and lets hope that goons everywhere are kept in check!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Hmm, I wonder why I can't edit my message. In both IE & Chrome, when I try to edit, it shows up as a completely blank message...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    ^ Hmm, I wonder why I can't edit my message. In both IE & Chrome, when I try to edit, it shows up as a completely blank message...
    Good to know....its happening to me in Firefox too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering you're remembering the wrong Mexican team (it was Santos Laguna in the semis) I'm not sure I'll rely on your account of that one. Anyways who cares what they think in that small-time French outpost, honestly? You can want to see the team do well without worrying about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People talk about and MLS team winning the Club World Cup raising the profile of the league, and I get what they're saying / where they're coming from, BUT I'm a huge football fan (I knew players on Maribor before the played in the UCL), yet I've never watched a single match of the Club World Cup, barely even see the highlights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    People talk about and MLS team winning the Club World Cup raising the profile of the league, and I get what they're saying / where they're coming from, BUT I'm a huge football fan (I knew players on Maribor before the played in the UCL), yet I've never watched a single match of the Club World Cup, barely even see the highlights.
    This is a form of logical fallacy, extending one's own circumstances and assuming they're the norm. I've watched it several times over the years. Always interesting to see how a team from Brazil or Argentina will do against a European power.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

Let's also be kind to "Dan the man" here. I know about the problems that have happened during some of the Impact games, both here & in Montreal. But my family & I had an awesome time whenever we were in Montreal -- either for a TFC game, or just to visit. We were always treated well, at the stadium & elsewhere, even (or especially) when walking around wearing TFC gear.

I know that others have had different experiences. But realize that Dan & other classy Impact fans can't control the goons, just like we can't control the folks that show up late and leave early en mass at BMO Field; we can't control the few real idiot TFC fans I saw in Montreal; and some of the other annoyances we have seen from TFC fans.

Anyway, let's hope we even have an MLS season, and lets hope that goons everywhere are kept in check!
    Heck, I had a chunk of concrete thrown at my head, unprovoked, as I was leaving BMO one time after a Limpact game, from the visitors section, and even I cheered for them last night. (now, I was under the mistaken impression that no MLS team had ever knocked out a Mexican team in CCL - had I known that at the time, I may well have cheered for Pachuca - forgot all about Seattle beating Tigres a couple years back). But no matter, it was an exciting game, and the Impact won. Cheers to them. I won't be cheering for them going forward, however. If a MLS team ever wins the freaking thing, I want it to be TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Well, it's not a highly viewed event. Even you're phrasing, "several times over the years" is fairly indicative of the indifference it's viewed even by huge football fans. My understanding is the only place it's popular in South America.

I've often wondered why a Mexican team can never sneak into the final? Mexican teams defeat South American in club competition now and again, so you'd think they'd break through in the CWC. This year's Club America team looks very impressive attacking at times, so maybe?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Heck, I had a chunk of concrete thrown at my head, unprovoked, as I was leaving BMO one time after a Limpact game, from the visitors section, and even I cheered for them last night. (now, I was under the mistaken impression that no MLS team had ever knocked out a Mexican team in CCL - had I known that at the time, I may well have cheered for Pachuca - forgot all about Seattle beating Tigres a couple years back). But no matter, it was an exciting game, and the Impact won. Cheers to them. I won't be cheering for them going forward, however. If a MLS team ever wins the freaking thing, I want it to be TFC.
    Wow that sucks about the concrete!