Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Co-Captains?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I would love to know which players you had this conversation and when exactly you had this conversation.

Enquiring minds want to know!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know who will end up being full time captain, but regardless this is Bradley's team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are we even feeding the media's need to make a story out of nothing?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Why are we even feeding the media's need to make a story out of nothing?
    because, off season (bad, jeremy, bad)

ironic, because I think i heard on the soccercentral podcast? that this is basically a non issue by JMo and Sharman IIRC
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    If Bradley is made captain now, there's going to be a power struggle and locker room issues.

You can choose to believe me or not, but most of the guys see Caldwell as captain.
    This. and what martin united said too.

It would be such a stupid move to make Bradley captain. It was already stupid move answering "will the captain's arm band change hands this year?" with anything other than a definitive "NO".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm happy with it to continue as is - it works fine with Caldwell captain on the field and Bradley also showing leadership. I like the way Bradley has been very vocal about the team and I'm sure he'll be captain after Caldwell is gone. As long as the two players are fine with it as is, and I suspect they are, there's no reason to change and no reason for factions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

ironic, because I think i heard on the soccercentral podcast? that this is basically a non issue by JMo and Sharman IIRC
    You heard correct. It is a non issue. The only people making it an issue is the reporters who having nothing to gain making a story out of nothing lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell is and should be the captain, no debate. Doesn't make Bradley any less of one of the team's leaders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team doesn't have the image of a team that is full of respect for it's players, due to it's long history of shipping them out quickly, contract disputes, etc., let's avoid anymore black marks by needlessly stripping our captain of an armband because "someone new is here". As an aside, none of us have any idea who exactly the leaders are in the dressing room or who the players respect, these are grown men, not schoolchildren looking for a teacher to follow, all of them are capable of making their own decisions.

All up in your head, like your hairstylist!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone worthy of wearing the armband wouldn't give a shit about wearing the armband.
    Last edited by Jamaicanadian; 02-05-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, because on the TSN FC podcast DeVos was making a massive deal of the whole thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpexxx View Post
    Funny, because on the TSN FC podcast DeVos was making a massive deal of the whole thing.

Yeah but it's DeVos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    This. and what martin united said too.

It would be such a stupid move to make Bradley captain. It was already stupid move answering "will the captain's arm band change hands this year?" with anything other than a definitive "NO".
    Huge fan of Vanney's, but I HAVE to agree, here.

Caldwell's done a fine job, and worn the armband with great pride; it's good that we have someone that looks poised to take on the mantel, but I don't see a reason for things to be hastened.

From a salary perspective, Caldwell is the most relatable, and whilst probably overpaid, at the minute, it's not to be forgotten that he helped us out in his first year, taking less; I'm sure that won't be lost on his peers, showing he does really put the team first.

Have to also agree that, whilst Bradley has a fire about him, sure to serve him well as a captain, there are times where he gets a little overemotional. I could remember Bradley snapping on Gilberto, when Gily's goal was called off for a foul, in Chicago, and Gily looked to save Bradley from being punished for any perceived descent, post-match.. and, whilst I felt in some ways vindicated by his claims in the interviews to follow, I knew that it wasn't very becoming of someone that has to lead people to keep trudging on (so, glad he wasn't, then, captain), and I was much more impressed with Caldwell's handling of the situation, when asked.

I think Bradley still has a bit of calming down to do, since rejoining the league and reacclimating.. so, a couple seasons (this being the last) as a hugely influential voice, if not as captain, will do him some good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a solution... Make Bitchy the Captain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaicanadian View Post
    Anyone worthy of wearing the armband wouldn't give a shit about wearing the armband.
    I agree with the sentiment behind this, if maybe not so well worded.

I agree, as it applies to Bradley, that he shouldn't care whether or not he has the band, nor should he want to take it from a respected player at the club.

But, then, in regards to Caldwell's expressing he'd be disappointed to be stripped of his duties as captain, I feel like it'd be a bit strange for him not to feel a ways about that. Just as well, he's said and shown that he's very proud to play that role, which I think is also important (read: DOES give a shit).

Again, though, not to get into semantics, I think we're on the same wavelength, and I actually forgot to make a similar point in my post, above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    I agree with the sentiment behind this, if maybe not so well worded.

I agree, as it applies to Bradley, that he shouldn't care whether or not he has the band, nor should he want to take it from a respected player at the club.

But, then, in regards to Caldwell's expressing he'd be disappointed to be stripped of his duties as captain, I feel like it'd be a bit strange for him not to feel a ways about that. Just as well, he's said and shown that he's very proud to play that role, which I think is also important (read: DOES give a shit).

Again, though, not to get into semantics, I think we're on the same wavelength, and I actually forgot to make a similar point in my post, above.
    I disagree. Anyone who doesn't care to be a leader, just won't be a good one. You need to be proud and driven in order to successfully lead a group into competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just seen a tweet (with no link) that Bradley was named captain of club today. Is this true ?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Just seen a tweet (with no link) that Bradley was named captain of club today. Is this true ?
    Unless Leiweke was lying straight to my face.. then Yes truth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If true, then I guess I was right. It was obvious Bradley took over and the way off-season played out (both signing and PR wise), Bradley played a role while Caldwell was MIA.

I personally believe Caldwell isn't that respected like what some people here like to believe. New players aren't going to look towards a player like Caldwell who will eventually become a bench player by the end of the season as a captain. They look towards someone like Bradley who got respect and credibility (playing at high level) to lead this club..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MagicPig View Post
    I disagree. Anyone who doesn't care to be a leader, just won't be a good one. You need to be proud and driven in order to successfully lead a group into competition.
    lol That's exactly what I was saying (read: we agree).

I took Jamaicanadian's comment as being more directed at Bradley, in that, if he really is leader material, he won't "give a shit" if he's given the band this season or next (which I would agree with).

Having said that, it's assuming a lot about what he meant.. but, such was the sentiment I took from the comment, disagreeing, however, if it were directed at Caldwell (for reasons above).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    If true, then I guess I was right. It was obvious Bradley took over and the way off-season played out (both signing and PR wise), Bradley played a role while Caldwell was MIA.

I personally believe Caldwell isn't that respected like what some people here like to believe. New players aren't going to look towards a player like Caldwell who will eventually become a bench player by the end of the season as a captain. They look towards someone like Bradley who got respect and credibility (playing at high level) to lead this club..
    Throughout this thread, you've been arguing the likelihood of Bradley being named captain, in countering others arguing that he shouldn't be.

Just thought I'd clear that up, finally; no one was saying you're wrong, but that it shouldn't go down like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do think Bradley deserves it but maybe we should just let Caldwell ride it out. I strongly agree that it would cause unnecessary drama.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yet... looks like there's a change coming. So it is an issue. Former assignment editor wins again! Bwah hah hah!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This season,I'd prefer to let Bradley get his game sorted. He didn't live up to expectations last season, whether that was due to injury, world cup whatever, bar a couple of games he didn't do as well as expected. He will ultimately end up being captain at some stage but I'd prefer it to come of a stellar season than the one he just had

All up in your head, like your hairstylist!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MagicPig View Post
    Anyone who doesn't care to be a leader is not worthy of wearing the armband.

I'm not totally convinced by Captain America. Is he passionate or is he prone to emotional outburst? I'm conflicted. I understand Caldwell's sentiment regarding his disappointment if he's not selected. Both of these players dont need an arm band to lead IMHO

Vanney and TFC have bigger fish to fry other than this issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KJ on Twitter

Breaking: TSN has learned Michael Bradley is the new captain of Toronto FC http://t.co/HeRjZl3CzR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That is great news!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would have done no harm to let Caldwell play out his final year as captain, but management obviously wants Bradley to take the reins now. I have no issue with the decision, but I hope it doesn't cause any unnecessary dissent in the locker room. I'm sure management spoke to Caldwell prior to making it official, and hopefully it won't affect his play on the pitch. He is a consummate professional, but he did not want to relinquish the captaincy.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 02-10-2015 at 09:50 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations, General!

While Caldwell had great leadership skills I think the overall ability shown on the pitch made this the right decision.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are going to go down this road, you have to be all in.

I don't know if a team's leader can make 100x what ten other guys make, but TFC are financially committed to making that model work, so may as well go all the way.

If Caldwell has a problem with that, he's replaceable.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”