Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Co-Captains?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Bottom line is Vanney is looking for a new definition on this team and part of that is naming a new captain.

Like I say it could have been handled better. I will chalk it up to learning (yet again). I stuck my neck out in hopes they did it right and have to be fair in the acknowlegment that they did should have done it better.

Now if things go poorly there will be no end to circling back on this issue.
    I wouldn't assume Vanney made this decision.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how Caldwell could be any more classy about this. He give his support to Bradley and vowed to continue give 100%.
    Of course he isn't happy about losing the role, nobody would, I think Tim L telling people publicly before TFC had officially announced it, didn't sit well with him, and rightly so.
    Just another example of why both Tim's should shut up re issues like this and leave stuff like that to the manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very true, maybe they know he is on a tight leash and won't hesitate to put someone else in his position if he struggles. We don't know what management is thinking, plus you don't need an armband to "lead" a team or be a voice in the room. I think the whole change of captains is part of the teams "rebrand" and TFC want their long term players to be the face of the team, starting with bradley.

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    You don't generally un-captain the captain unless he's being put out. Whoever said Caldwell will be fighting for his minutes this year I think is the one who hit the nail on the head.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I wouldn't assume Vanney made this decision.
    Really it doesn't matter. Lets just say that the new crew running the show wanted to signal a change in the Captain role.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't generally un-captain the captain unless he's being put out. Whoever said Caldwell will be fighting for his minutes this year I think is the one who hit the nail on the head.
    I don't think that had anything to do with it, but, I've been known to be wrong.
    Like others have said, Bradley is the guy now.
    Caldwell handled it well, had he NOT at least expressed some disappointment...it would have shown that he wasn't captain material.

Not sure how many of you saw the EPL games on TSN (I think) that he did some pre-game, half time, post game commentary on. I'd say, from what I saw, he has a future on TV. Better than some that are doing it right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKIE65 View Post
    I don't think that had anything to do with it, but, I've been known to be wrong.
    Like others have said, Bradley is the guy now.
    Caldwell handled it well, had he NOT at least expressed some disappointment...it would have shown that he wasn't captain material.
    lol. a no win situation for Caldwell it seems
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

funny you say that, not sure if we have any Baggies fans on here, but they just replaced their captain's position, Chris Brunt will hand over captain's armband to new signing Darren Fletcher. Brunt will still continue to be a main player for WBA as they battle to stay out of relegation battle.I'd say Caldwell will still start this season anyway as a starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    funny you say that, not sure if we have any Baggies fans on here, but they just replaced their captain Chris Brunt with new signing Darren Fletcher. Brunt will continue to be a main player for WBA as they battle to stay out of relegation battle.I'd say Caldwell will still start this season anyway as a starter.
    Yeah, maybe. I noticed Brunt was playing centre half and Lescott right back yesterday. Interesting, I don't think of Brunt in that position at all. But they got the cleanie.

My gut though is saying that Caldwell will see reduced minutes this year. I hope not, as I think he's a character guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE have no class anyway. Old news.
    One day in the distant furure perhaps Michael Bradley's tenure TFC will be over. I wont be surprised at how poorly they handle that as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone have the link in which Caldwell stated he found out via phone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell is not in the long term plans of the organization. It would have been a nice gesture to let him play out his final year as the incumbent captain, but the situation is being entirely overblown. Leiweke leaked the information ahead of schedule and the situation played out differently than it should have in a perfect scenario. It's not the end of the world, certainly not by this organization's standards, LOL.

It's worth noting that Caldwell was adamant that he would not relinquish the captaincy, so no matter how the situation was handled, he would have ultimately been disappointed with the end result. I'll take his word that he's moved past it and will be the consummate professional that he's been throughout his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Caldwell is not in the long term plans of the organization. It would have been a nice gesture to let him play out his final year as the incumbent captain, but the situation is being entirely overblown. Leiweke leaked the information ahead of schedule and the situation played out differently than it should have in a perfect scenario. It's not the end of the world, certainly not by this organization's standards, LOL.

It's worth noting that Caldwell was adamant that he would not relinquish the captaincy, so no matter how the situation was handled, he would have ultimately been disappointed with the end result. I'll take his word that he's moved past it and will be the consummate professional that he's been throughout his career.
    Why did he leak it? Its so stupid of him, I don't get it at all.

I have feeling the players probably look up to Caldwell more as he is the workman of the team, he isn't all glitz and glamour which MLS players understand. They should have had Bradley as vice captain and let Caldwell retire as the captain.

I don't have any problems with Bradley aside from maybe the constant bitching about refs, he had his say, now its time to suck it up buttercup and play.
    Last edited by Richard; 02-12-2015 at 11:09 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle23168527/

I'm not a fan of Cathal Kelly but this is an interesting article. Confirms 2 things.
    Nelsen and Bez didn't get along. Hence why the roster was so messed up.
    Bradley has direct input on signings. The 2nd part kinda scares me.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle23168527/

I'm not a fan of Cathal Kelly but this is an interesting article. Confirms 2 things.
    Nelsen and Bez didn't get along. Hence why the roster was so messed up.
    Bradley has direct input on signings. The 2nd part kinda scares me.
    well well well. Very interesting. Very. If he is right, it explains Bez getting rid of Nelsen at the very first opportunity. Bradley's involvement in recruiting is wrong though. Do you think Sir Alex sent Roy Keane to scout potential signings????

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no confirmation about Nelsen and Bez there at all.

This is Cathal Kelly. Be very careful about how you read what he writes, as he interprets a lot of stuff and puts it in as thought bubbles for people without actually quoting. Its his schtick.

There's one line in that article about Bez and Nelsen and its not a quotation. If Bradley actually says that, Kelly would quote him. As there is no quote, I wouldn't trust it.

Kelly is nursing some mental stuff over how he got hoodwinked by TL last year at this time. He's been looking for an office politics excuse since Nelsen got fired.

Now, the thought that Bradley sits for hours and watches film of potential players in December and January is scary in a "never seen a player act that intense about his teammates" sort of way.

I also think Kelly is setting up a season long narrative for June that can be used either if TFC is winning or failing. Again, its something he does.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-23-2015 at 11:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got to say I don't think I really like a player getting an opinion on who should be signed by the club for two reasons.

1. Makes the gm seem ineffective or unsure about talent, and to me seems as proof that the right man is not in the correct job. I've seen quite a few people express opinions on Bez before in regards to not being qualified to properly make personal decisions, to me allowing Bradley to make a call on personal corroborate's this.

2. Allows for the potential of a poor gm to deflect blame onto said player if things go sideways, potentially giving the gm a chance at self preservation.

If Bez does not have the ability to correctly identify talented players, he should not be in the gm position, assistant gm maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ But it could also be that Bradley is setting himself up for life in soccer after his playing days are done. Like father, like son?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    There is no confirmation about Nelsen and Bez there at all.

This is Cathal Kelly. Be very careful about how you read what he writes, as he interprets a lot of stuff and puts it in as thought bubbles for people without actually quoting. Its his schtick.

There's one line in that article about Bez and Nelsen and its not a quotation. If Bradley actually says that, Kelly would quote him. As there is no quote, I wouldn't trust it.

Kelly is nursing some mental stuff over how he got hoodwinked by TL last year at this time. He's been looking for an office politics excuse since Nelsen got fired.

Now, the thought that Bradley sits for hours and watches film of potential players in December and January is scary in a "never seen a player act that intense about his teammates" sort of way.

I also think Kelly is setting up a season long narrative for June that can be used either if TFC is winning or failing. Again, its something he does.
    I'm with Og (that is so fun to say btw)

While I believe our captain has a say I don't think he's got an inappropriate amount of clout. Definitely more than usual but if Cathal is gonna big it up then I'm going to accept its not that big a deal.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER