Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Co-Captains?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Co-Captains?

Caldwell is a good leader and a solid guy; he hasn't done anything to deserve losing the captaincy, as far as I can tell. At the same time, Bradley is also a leader, speaks Italian fluently, and links up the back and front of the pitch.

Co-captains?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably end up something like what happened at Portland with Jack Jewsbury becoming the 'club captain' or something and Will Johnson is the 'team captain' and wears the armband
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley is a smart boy. He will come back, and before he talks to the media, he will go to Caldwell and say "Your the captain." Then he will repeat that to the media when asked.

End of story.

Anything else is just stupid and gets in the way of a feel good preseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, Bradley should be lone captain. Caldwell is part of old regime and doesn't have much credibility to lead DP's and experience Euro players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    No, Bradley should be lone captain. Caldwell is part of old regime and doesn't have much credibility to lead DP's and experience Euro players.
    Thats so wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Caldwell doesn't step aside voluntarily, he should be moved.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Thats so wrong.
    It's truth though especially in Caldwell's case who isn't that good and only became a leader when there was no one else on this team that was good during his first year. Now we got much better players and veteran players who have played higher level who can bring a lot more credibility and get younger players to listen and respect them a lot more than Caldwell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why does this matter; Caldwell is likely going to retire at the end of the year; we all know it is Bradley's time after that, lets move on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Probably end up something like what happened at Portland with Jack Jewsbury becoming the 'club captain' or something and Will Johnson is the 'team captain' and wears the armband
    I think both are great options, wonderful problem to have. I like the club captain, team captain idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley should be captain.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Bradley is made captain now, there's going to be a power struggle and locker room issues.

You can choose to believe me or not, but most of the guys see Caldwell as captain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm kind of on the fence on this one. Whoever the players decide is fine by me. I think it would be unneeded drama to forcibly remove it and give it to someone. Caldwell has been captain for every club he's been a part of, he loves the job and he seems to get involved a lot in team events outside of the pitch as well. Don't get me wrong, Bradley is a good captain too, but he's too busy with USMNT to always be there. The club vs team captain is an interesting concept. I just hope it's not forced and that the players decide. Whoever the players pick, it's hard not to respect that decision, and both guys are true professionals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figured it was going to be Bekker before we traded him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Captain was the least of our worries last year, no need to potentially start a shit fest...Caldwell has stated he'd like to retain the armband. Bradley can take it next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I feel like it would be pretty disrespectful to strip Caldwell of the armband.

He has said himself that he has captained every team he's played for. I don't take that as him tooting his own horn, it takes certain qualities to be a good captain, and clearly Caldwell has exhibited those everywhere he's gone.

It's not like the boys won't look up to Bradley as a leader if he's not wearing the armband... He's an obvious leader and an obvious choice for the armband once Caldwell retires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's truth though especially in Caldwell's case who isn't that good and only became a leader when there was no one else on this team that was good during his first year. Now we got much better players and veteran players who have played higher level who can bring a lot more credibility and get younger players to listen and respect them a lot more than Caldwell.
    It's not truth the locker room knows and believes that Caldwell is the captain on that squad. You don't screw with it. He's captain End of story.

This wouldn't be an issue with reporters wouldn't ask stupid questions before a preseason game was even played.

Vanney showed his inexperience by not just shooting down the question and saying Caldwell is our captain end of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If Caldwell doesn't step aside voluntarily, he should be moved.
    Based on his recent interview, there is no chance he would voluntarily relinquish the captaincy. That being said, I don't think that is just cause for his departure.

Bradley will have the armband soon enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell has been the captain of every club he has played for throughout his career.

I fully support Bradley wearing the armband...in due course. No need to rock the boat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No need to change this and stir the shit for nothing......Also not sure what being fluent in Italian has to do with being the captain.

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    It's not truth the locker room knows and believes that Caldwell is the captain on that squad. You don't screw with it. He's captain End of story.

This wouldn't be an issue with reporters wouldn't ask stupid questions before a preseason game was even played.

Vanney showed his inexperience by not just shooting down the question and saying Caldwell is our captain end of.
    Based on what? Bradley has been "acting" like captain during off-season and the fact Vanney didn't shoot down the question further proves that Caldwell isn't shoe in to be "our" captain this season. Also, we slowly saw end of last season Bradely was becoming more vocal leader on-field as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a supporter, I see this team as Bradley's team but I am not a TFC player and I don't have access to the dressing room to see who the players look up to. In many European clubs, the players vote and pick the three team captains, which I would do if I was Vanney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Caldwell has been the captain of every club he has played for throughout his career.

I fully support Bradley wearing the armband...in due course. No need to rock the boat.
    Bradley is leader of this team both on-field (which we saw end of the season) and off-field (recruiting Jozy to giving his input on player signings) now. Caldwell isn't going to captain much longer on this team. He's just leftover from previous regime and probably would been let go this season if it wasn't for his guarantee contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EastYork View Post
    As a supporter, I see this team as Bradley's team but I am not a TFC player and I don't have access to the dressing room to see who the players look up to. In many European clubs, the players vote and pick the three team captains, which I would do if I was Vanney
    In North America, it's usually coach reward captain title which we saw last season when Nelsen made Caldwell captain instead of Bradley. I wouldn't be surprise to see same happen here where Vanney chooses captain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am aware of how most teams choose a captain in North America but I prefer the European way as it makes more sense. The players will be the ones led by their captain, so they should be the ones picking him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what? Bradley has been "acting" like captain during off-season and the fact Vanney didn't shoot down the question further proves that Caldwell isn't shoe in to be "our" captain this season. Also, we slowly saw end of last season Bradely was becoming more vocal leader on-field as well.
    Based on the conversation I had with two players that are in that locker room that has said that everyone in that room know Caldwell is captain.

Bradley is always going to be vocal that's who he is. He will be captain soon enough. He has respect for Steven and wouldn't step on toes. He knows his role on this club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Bradley and I figure he'll be captain at some point, but I also think he's a tad over emotional/whiny with the ref too often. Far to many times last year it was embarrassing to watch him question every decision rather than just get to playing imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Based on the conversation I had with two players that are in that locker room that has said that everyone in that room know Caldwell is captain.

Bradley is always going to be vocal that's who he is. He will be captain soon enough. He has respect for Steven and wouldn't step on toes. He knows his role on this club.
    Are you referring to new players? There's a lot of new players (most of them probably end up in the starting line up) and new coaching staff this season. This completely different team with different philosophy, so I could easily see Bradley being captain with this new team.

Vanney could have easily said Caldwell is the captain when asked, but he didn't. That to me speaks volume more than anything else said on here. New players are going to dictate this team both on-field and off-field.

I would love to know which players you had this conversation and when exactly you had this conversation.
    Last edited by TFC07; 02-04-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless of who wears the armband, this is clearly Bradley's team. I think Bradley and Caldwell should be able to lead the team together in their own ways without the official captaincy being an issue. You also don't need your main guy to be the captain, even if he's a leader on the pitch. If you think back to Barcelona of 2009-2011, Xavi was the center-point of that team, but Puyol was the undisputed captain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you referring to new players? There's a lot of new players (most of them probably end up in the starting line up) and new coaching staff this season. This completely different team with different philosophy, so I could easily see Bradley being captain with this new team.

Vanney could have easily said Caldwell is the captain when asked, but he didn't. That to me speaks volume more than anything else said on here. New players are going to dictate this team both on-field and off-field.

I would love to know which players you had this conversation and when exactly you had this conversation.
    Weideman and Hall near the end of last season. Both of them were very clear that the locker room knows that Caldwell is captain even after how Bradley is. They all feel he is the right man to be captain.

Plus if the argument is based on what or how Vanney answered a question to get to this point the over reaction to it is what is driving the dysfunction.

More reporters hunting down the answer I a question that really has no baring on the club performing or not.

Captain wears an armband and calls heads or tails during a flip of a coin to choose sides and who starts with the ball. Outside of that there is no need or any special treatment for players with the armband.

We have arguably the most deep and talented roster we've ever had and we're more worried about who's got the armband?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What would it say about this club were the captaincy to be stripped from the current holder any time a brighter, younger talent emerged ?

Caldwell's got it now, Bradley may get it next - let's see. In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with the pair working together, which I'm sure they do anyway.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha