Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC II 2014-15 Off-Season player moves/speculation/rumours/etc. thread

With the recent release of the schedule, in the coming days & week we will speculate what academy/international/draft picks players will sign for our second team. Post your speculation/information/etc. for TFCII ONLY here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings get a separate single thread in the "News" section. All other "inside" and other information goes here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martin Davis / 18 years old / CAM
    Jamaican (youth) international

Martin Davis to join Toronto FC system in January

‘Live wire’ Martin Davis signs with Toronto FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Well, we have two confirmed TFC 2 players now:

Mark-Anthony Kaye @MarkThEwizz · 5h5 hours ago

Medicals done, on to the next week of pre-season. #TFCII

Martin Davis @_MartinDavis · 6h6 hours ago

Medicals at @torontofc nice week with the USL so far

More signings, I wouldnt be surprised if we see a few more of the guys who weren't sent to willmington last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither Davis nor Kaye have signed a USL Pro deal but they are training with the team under Kerr and Bent. For now the team training as the USL Pro team is basically all of the guys that were on the senior academy team in L1O last season that are still around the club. Some of those guys will sign, some will go back to the academy team, and the rest will be filled out by guys currently with the first team. Also expect a couple of outside signings just to round out the team but not many.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drowaan View Post
    Neither Davis nor Kaye have signed a USL Pro deal but they are training with the team under Kerr and Bent. For now the team training as the USL Pro team is basically all of the guys that were on the senior academy team in L1O last season that are still around the club. Some of those guys will sign, some will go back to the academy team, and the rest will be filled out by guys currently with the first team. Also expect a couple of outside signings just to round out the team but not many.
    Oh sweet, does that mean we re-signed Stewart Kerr? Boneheaded move to get rid of him in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Kaye and Davis going to be offered TFC 2 contracts?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kshep View Post
    No one knows yet, time will tell, we just need to relax, not worry too much and it will all come together. Got to remember lots of draft picks in the mix too.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    No one knows yet, time will tell, we just need to relax, not worry too much and it will all come together. Got to remember lots of draft picks in the mix too.
    Oh ya, no worries here, was just wondering if anyone had an inside line is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were a betting man I would say yes to both and almost certain that Kaye will be. The folks I have talked to make it quite clear that the majority of this team is going to be built from within house and Kaye is arguably the best player in the system that is not already on a home grown deal. As for Davis putting him in L1O for this full season would be a waste as he needs to be at a higher level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so glad our boys have the opportunity to continue to push themselves and work towards the first team, wish TFC 2 would have been around for Morgan and a few of the past academy players. They might have developed into better players then.

Morgan showed so much promise and was left to rot so long, that I'm sure when his contract is up with the first team he will be let go.

What I can't wait to see is our first 16/17 year old that develops so good that the first team can't ignore him. Exciting times to come in the future I do believe.

Wish I lived closer to Toronto/Vaughn so I could take my little guy to the TFC 2 matches. At 4 years old after seeing his first live match, that thriller against portland, he has become soccer/TFC crazy and has already memorized about 8 chants, he can often be overheard singing the chants to himself while kicking the ball around in our basement.

Guess we'll just have to be content going to see K-W United play in the PDL, since I can't make 99% of TFC matches do to being a chef and having to work pretty much every weekend.

Looking forward to following our youth players more closely now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were a betting man I would say yes to both and almost certain that Kaye will be. The folks I have talked to make it quite clear that the majority of this team is going to be built from within house and Kaye is arguably the best player in the system that is not already on a home grown deal. As for Davis putting him in L1O for this full season would be a waste as he needs to be at a higher level.
    Most definitely....Kaye's name has been mentioned a lot, and considering the immediate impact he had at Willmington last season - I see him getting signed is a no brainer. And for the player himself "Do I sign a USLpro contract for 30-45k, or stay at York and still play USLpro" I would choose the latter.

A few other players you will see come up is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few players we might hear connected to this team are:

Molham Babouli | 23 | FW
    Marco Nunez | 18 | FW
    Dylan Sacramento | 19 | MF
    Lucca Uccello | 17 | MF
    Anthony Osorio | 20 | MF
    Paris Bateman | 21 | CB
    Quante Abbott Hill-Smith | 20 | CB
    Tarik Robertson | 21 | LB |
    Marco Rodriguez | 22 | MF

TFC PDL Team:

Eli Rubos | 18 | DF | ORegon State
    Kevon Black | 18 | DF | Duke
    Sergio Camargo | 20 | FW | Coastal Carolina
    Daniel Jodah | 19 | MF | Marshall

to name a few...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Oh sweet, does that mean we re-signed Stewart Kerr? Boneheaded move to get rid of him in the first place.
    Just got called out for this mind slip by Kerr on Twitter. I totally meant to type Stuart Neely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got called out for this mind slip by Kerr on Twitter. I totally meant to type Stuart Neely.
    You are forgiven. As for spreading rumors that Pizza Pizza might be our new jersey sponsor, that is unforgivable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know how Danny D's boy is fairing with the academy these days? He'd be u-15 or U-16 by now, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Dichio is coaching the u12s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm wonder about his son though, is he still not with TFC academy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be of interest to this thread. All 7 of these guys down in Florida are players I would expect to see on TFCII this season.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2015/2/1...blette-edwards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case anyone was interested about the comment regarding domestic quotas on the USL team from the article above:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/in...ctioning-r4815
    Each team will be required to ensure that 50 percent of its active USL-Pro roster is Canadian. Importantly, it defines Canadians not by their citizenship but rather by their national team eligibility. Canadians capped by other nations are free to play for the teams, but will be considered imports in relation to CSA sanctioning. To ensure that the cubs aren't just filling out their roster with Canadians for the sake of meeting the quota, the CSA is also requiring that six of the starting 11 players for each game be Canadian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    In case anyone was interested about the comment regarding domestic quotas on the USL team from the article above:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/in...ctioning-r4815
    That's kinda of a cap shoot eh, I understand the reasoning but I don't agree with it. If you hold Canadian citizenship shouldn't matter who's capped you, should still count as domestic.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSA ultiamately is responsible for putting together national teams. Its in their interest to limit to Canadian cap eligible. If you live here and play for another country, I lose a bit of sympathy.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    CSA ultiamately is responsible for putting together national teams. Its in their interest to limit to Canadian cap eligible. If you live here and play for another country, I lose a bit of sympathy.
    I agree with that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's kinda of a cap shoot eh, I understand the reasoning but I don't agree with it. If you hold Canadian citizenship shouldn't matter who's capped you, should still count as domestic.
    not a labour law expert but I doubt this will hold up in a court

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    not a labour law expert but I doubt this will hold up in a court
    I don't see why it wouldn't. It's national labor policy within the constraints of NAFTA that determines who can go where, not a pro league's decision. If you're Canadian it shouldn't matter who you've played contractually as you have domestic status legally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I don't see why it wouldn't. It's national labor policy within the constraints of NAFTA that determines who can go where, not a pro league's decision. If you're Canadian it shouldn't matter who you've played contractually as you have domestic status legally.
    It does go both ways of course. If you were born in the States but can be capped for Canada and are then you qualify as a Domestic.

It seems to be roster rules and I can understand a development league putting that stipulation to discourage people from using Canadian USL pro sides as a stepping stone to Caps for countries like Jamaica, Trinidad, Columbia. While at the same time helping to develop Canadian Talent. This is season 8 kids have now grown up with TFC and MLS in the GTA. Toronto FC has a complete path, and should be able to manage a largely Canadian Roster. Though I think they should give a few years to bring that into compliance to make sure the talent system is working.

I agree though I'm not sure it would hold up. Citizenship legally likely is suppose to ply a role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CSA provides sanctioning for a quota price. They dont determine who plays.

there is no labour law component to this. TFC choose to have a sanctioned business. The YSLO yahoos , for example, do not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

discrimination based upon nationality? human rights tribunal would have fun with this, esp when it's a Canadian citizen being discriminated against
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeachTory View Post
    The CSA provides sanctioning for a quota price. They dont determine who plays.

there is no labour law component to this. TFC choose to have a sanctioned business. The YSLO yahoos , for example, do not.
    Not likely to ever happen but, say you have an Canadian born, US capped player that has suffered a terrible leg injury that saw your last club team release you, and you wanted to try and make a comeback. According to these rules you wouldn't qualify to play for a Canadian based USL club, and would have to find a US based USL club that would take you on.

I have a hard time believing that the CSA rule would not be struck down in court, would it not be deemed as discrimination? After all you would be a Canadian citizen being denied the right to ply your trade as a professional in your own country, can't see how that would fly with the courts even though we're talking in extreme hypothetical that will probably never happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    discrimination based upon nationality? human rights tribunal would have fun with this, esp when it's a Canadian citizen being discriminated against
    Beat me to it, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course any one could play. The quotas determine how many of what classification. Nothing stops anyone from being on the roster in any segment.

except, of course, they do not allow women on a USL team. That exclusion seems to be fine.