Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: road trips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default road trips

don't see anything for road trips, at this time I'm looking at Chicago in april anybody have info on a good place to stay and cheap drinks
    walking distance to toyoto park thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm, unfortunately Toyota Park is out in the boonies, take the L to the end of the line, take a bus to the stadium. Best to eat/drink/stay and the city, Chicago is a wonderful city. The stadium is actually quite nice, there's the standard issue expensive swill they call beer but this is a universal plight at most stadia.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to Chciago away last year. Nothing in the immediate area. I stayed in the Courtyard Marriott Magnificent Mile and it was great. Walking distance to everything. Lots of things going on downtown. Beautiful city. Definitely worth staying downtown and not near Toyota Park although there is a decent cluster of hotels near the Midway airport if looking for a cheaper decent hotel that is closer to the stadium.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There will be RPB going to Vancouver and Columbus. Once we have sections and numbers we'll gladly share them.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Toyota park in the middle of nowhere, at the end of the Orange line, there is a shuttle to the game. Kind of reminds me of taking the bus to your resort when you travel down south...a bit disorganized..I think it is a private bus not run by Chicago transit...Red Bull stadium easy to get to...

anyone thinking of New England on Victoria Day Weekend?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firm View Post
    don't see anything for road trips, at this time I'm looking at Chicago in april anybody have info on a good place to stay and cheap drinks
    walking distance to toyoto park thanks
    Chicago is great! Went there back in September to see the Reds tie the Fire (or more specifically, see the Reds get points denied them by a STUPID REFEREE IN OVERTIME!!! ).

But that's beside the point.

You should be able to find some reasonable downtown hotel rates for that time of year. Porter flies directly to Midway, so keep you eyes out for some sweet deals at their website.

The best thing about Chicago is the food they serve. They have so many dishes that could be considered their signature item:

Chicago Deep Dish Pizza (Giordano's is, far and away, the best, with locations around Chicagoland)
    http://giordanos.com/

Chicago Style Hot Dogs (The Weiner's Circle on a late night weekend is where you should go for their - ahem - colorful staff!)
    http://www.wienercircle.net/

Chicago Italian Beef sandwiches - wet and juicy and oh so good.

Maxwell Street Polish Sausage on a bun with grilled onions and a couple of pepper spears - oh those are delish!

But one of the best things I remember about Chicago was Garrett's Popcorn. The hotel I stayed at was across the street from one of their stores. I popped in to sample their cheesy corn, and it was THE MOST DELICIOUS FLAVOURED POPCORN I'VE EVER HAD! I made a couple of stops just for their cheesy corn. When I got home. I sent packages out to my brother and sister, and they both loved it.
    http://www.garrettpopcorn.com/

Hope this helps ya!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing Orlando away and NYCFC in July as well. Anyone else thinking about it? Also looking at flights down to Columbus if I can

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    Doing Orlando away and NYCFC in July as well. Anyone else thinking about it? Also looking at flights down to Columbus if I can
    There are a few people talking about NY and a couple for Orlando. I'm sure we'll see more interest closer to the season.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about Montreal for the final game of the season?

The game is at 5pm on Sunday, October 25th. In fact, all the eastern games start at the same time and all the Western games start 2 hours later (Well done, MLS.). This means it will be well after midnight before I get back.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    How about Montreal for the final game of the season?

The game is at 5pm on Sunday, October 25th. In fact, all the eastern games start at the same time and all the Western games start 2 hours later (Well done, MLS.). This means it will be well after midnight before I get back.
    I don't mention Montreal because it's a given. By then there will be one of 2 extremes happening:

Everybody that's not going because the team isn't making playoffs
    Everybody and their friends are going because we are making the playoffs for the first time and can celebrate in Montreal.

So yeah, there will be people going.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 01-26-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I don't mention Montreal because it's a given. By then there will be one of 2 extremes happening:

Everybody and there friends are going because we are making the playoffs for the first time and can celebrate in Montreal.

Here's hoping its the latter! Don't think I'll ever have been that drunk!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    99% sure I'll be in Orlando for the April match, keep in touch about it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Pretty sure the jays are in Tampa that weekend too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by parma View Post
    Yeah, Toyota park in the middle of nowhere, at the end of the Orange line, there is a shuttle to the game. Kind of reminds me of taking the bus to your resort when you travel down south...a bit disorganized..I think it is a private bus not run by Chicago transit...Red Bull stadium easy to get to...

anyone thinking of New England on Victoria Day Weekend?
    We are considering this!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    We are considering this!!
    New England I would have to skip out on. A lot of there games are covered in NFL gridiron lines, the stadium is over sized as well and looks awful sometimes on TV, unless they get a new stadium built one day I just can't see myself paying money into going to a game at Patriots stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everybody and their friends are going because we are making the playoffs for the first time and can celebrate in Montreal.

well you could also have very few people going to Montreal because everyone is saving there money to go to the first away playoff game the following week (maybe even playing against Montreal? lol). Or everybody goes because the last game of the season could make it or break it for TFC making the playoffs. Who knows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    If its as much fun as that train trip up to Montreal last year for the cup, I'll look forward to it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    New England I would have to skip out on. A lot of there games are covered in NFL gridiron lines, the stadium is over sized as well and looks awful sometimes on TV, unless they get a new stadium built one day I just can't see myself paying money into going to a game at Patriots stadium.
    There shouldn't be any gridiron lines in the spring so that's a plus. Also, this might sound a bit silly but I haven't had the experience of an MLS game in an empty NFL stadium. I imagine there's a certain surrealness to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    There shouldn't be any gridiron lines in the spring so that's a plus. Also, this might sound a bit silly but I haven't had the experience of an MLS game in an empty NFL stadium. I imagine there's a certain surrealness to it.
    maybe its just me, I just don't like New England playing at Patriots stadium and I would love to see them actually move to a Soccer stadium or at the very least start showing interest in maybe building there own stadium ( I have never herd of New England owners ever talk about such a move) , for that reason I just won't support a team playing in that stadium ( I mean I don't support New England Id be there for TFC, but still New England get the ticket sales if you cheering for TFC or New England). Id only do it if maybe it was a crucial playoff game or something, otherwise I will avoid any away games there.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Surreal? More like a "cheated" feel. I've watched NE, old NY and even Commonwealth and each time it's annoying. Better than nothing and I appreciate the locals who try to make it work but so glad we have BMO...for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stumpled upon this and am considering it, is this how everyone else is getting down to Columbus or is there something else being organized?

http://thesupporterssection.com/even...columbus-crew/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder01 View Post
    Stumpled upon this and am considering it, is this how everyone else is getting down to Columbus or is there something else being organized?

http://thesupporterssection.com/even...columbus-crew/
    I booked through them this week.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Supporting fellow V's! Nice one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I am doing Orlando as the Jays are in Tampa. Tickets to the ball game are 25 bucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Me +3 as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im still thinking about spending the friday night in columbus as well. Anyone know of any reasonable hotels?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am really consider going to Columbus (depending on work schedule), but I probably go to Montreal (but I am turned off the fact it's a Sunday game which is brutal and weird as a Canadian sports fan to go sporting event on Sunday).
    Last edited by TFC07; 01-30-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What section(s) are we sitting in at Crew Stadium? Me and 3 buddies are driving down for the game I want to make sure we are sitting with the Red Patch Boys when we smash the Crew!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaeltfc91 View Post
    What section(s) are we sitting in at Crew Stadium? Me and 3 buddies are driving down for the game I want to make sure we are sitting with the Red Patch Boys when we smash the Crew!
    They usually tell us, but it's always been the south stand above the net. Make sure you indicate you are away supporters and they'll put you in the right place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surreal? More like a "cheated" feel. I've watched NE, old NY and even Commonwealth and each time it's annoying. Better than nothing and I appreciate the locals who try to make it work but so glad we have BMO...for now.
    ya I think that's how it feels seeing New England playing at Patriots stadium. It just feels like they are 2nd tenant and you are just there to use the stadium for something when no Patriots game is going on. It just doesn't look like they take the team or MLS serious.