Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we get to 32 teams, why not have each team play each other once? It's not a perfectly balanced schedule but it's pretty damn close.
    We can even use an Apertura/Clausura type format with 2 tournaments per year and maybe a grand final between the two winners at the end.
    Last edited by Lennon; 03-14-2015 at 09:18 AM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Not with what works but what I like.

Divisional rivals is something created to save on team travel. Anything beyond that is made up.

The balanced schedule was the most exciting for me to see. I got to see every team. What do I care if I get to see closer teams more than once a year?
    Same here. For me, a single table with team playing each other once home and away is by far the most preferable competitive format. It gives every club as equal a playing field as possible in terms of scheduling. We'll never have an absolutely fair system, but this would get us just a little closer to that. Failing that, I still believe a good compromise would be to divide a larger league into two separate conferences that don't play each other in the regular season and have a balanced home/away schedule intra-divisionally. Make the playoffs the only time you get inter-divisional competition. And heck, we don't even have to make it geographically-based. We could go the route as baseball or NFL football.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 03-13-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, I much prefer a balanced schedule. Who wants to see the same teams 3-4 times a season? And it makes the rivalry matches all the better IMHO if you just play home and away at the most each season. Too many matches against the same team and it just isn't the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With 32 teams, you would only be playing home-and-away against teams in your own division - that's 6 games out of a 34/38-game season. With the 38-game season I outlined, you would see opposing conference teams once every two years in your home stadium, divisional teams every year, and intra-conference teams 2 out of every 3 years.

Besides, the networks will need at least one game of each team playing each other so they can amp up the hype and ensure that games against top teams from each conference are "must-see TV". That's where the money is going to be.
    Last edited by Initial B; 03-16-2015 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An all Canadian league is a non-starter. The quality would drop and the financial stability would be tenuous. CSA wants canada in the mens WC too, but that's not happening anytime soon either.

The sport is much less popular outside of the major centres. Not enough sustainable interest. We'd need at least 3 teams in Toronto, two in Vancouver, etc... That's the one part I might find interesting. But otherwise.... It's just nationalism over practicality.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...luate-going-be

SSS, real grass promised.

Plus a rethink by MLS about #'s moving forward.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    An all Canadian league is a non-starter. The quality would drop and the financial stability would be tenuous. CSA wants canada in the mens WC too, but that's not happening anytime soon either.

The sport is much less popular outside of the major centres. Not enough sustainable interest. We'd need at least 3 teams in Toronto, two in Vancouver, etc... That's the one part I might find interesting. But otherwise.... It's just nationalism over practicality.
    This is the fundamental problems with the football/soccer supporter/fan of the day. We as a community need to push on managing expectations. The only possibility of a SECOND division Canadian League falling from the sky is a partnership with CFL cities. Forget about a league that rivals MLS. All we should be looking at a place, a division for Canadians to go for those development years to find their form and get back up to NASL/MLS.

People seem to want the moon without the widespread demand yet. My expectations are so low because of where we've come from. The last "National League" we had according to FIFA was in 2 provinces and was arguably division 4 level. We've got a long way to go but I'll be patient as long as I see the baby stepping incremental progress.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...luate-going-be

SSS, real grass promised.

Plus a rethink by MLS about #'s moving forward.
    Minnesota, eh? So we could look forward to games like New York City vs Minn United?
    Last edited by Huyton; 03-17-2015 at 10:48 AM. Reason: miss-spelled word.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the window on 24 is closing.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...wednesday-noon

If MinnU get in and Sacramento is more attractive, then Miami may be on the outside looking in. I wonder if Beckham would sue if he doesn't get his franchise. Or perhaps MLS would just pay him the $25M (or more) to take it back?

Now, would Garber have them join the league in 2018 or 2019?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should have 27 teams - 3 conferences of 9 - play everyone once, and the other teams in your conference once more. 34-game schedule.

Conference winners get a bye to the quarters, next 3 best teams from each conference enter the round before that.