Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Giovinco to TFC

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I wonder if MLSE will think about expanding BMO field to 40K seats if they manage to sell out this season.

This signing can potentially sell out 30K seats this year and winning TFC can create huge demand for tickets.
    You think?

I think that they will sell out for a couple of games this year (home opener for certain) but interest tends to fall during the season. I don't think that their average fan really understands the MLS playoffs/CONCACAF and the rest of it. Even the hard core amongst us here, there are probably a significant portion that never watched a single MLS playoff game this year.

Fans they are attracting are used to table formats where the games mean everything. Last year we had a debate around comments that certain games weren't "must win." With the playoffs going the CFL route now with 12/20 making it in (that's 6/10 MLS vs 6/9 CFL) , it seems like less of an accomplishment. (I know big thing to say for a fan of a team that hasn't made it ever… yet). Particularly if you go all season to get knocked out in a single game.

I think there will be an initial hype but that will fall off through the season. People may want to follow a player, check it out, but long term sustainable interest in a team in the MLS will be a hard nut to crack.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    Really, it SO doesn't matter who broke what, who had what information first, etc. This isn't at all about the reporters who cover this club. It's about Toronto FC getting a talented player, the kind of player they've long needed, who makes them a better team. That should be the focus here. Nothing else.

My two cents spent.

John Molinaro
    John,
    Thanks for the great coverage you, Kurt, Gareth and everyone else work so hard to provide. We in Toronto are ever so lucky for it, compared to what people get in other MLS markets. Keep it up and thanks again.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    We signed Defoe and played a friendly against Tottenham...
    Ha! Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they organized a friendly against Juve this season as part of the deal. And I bet you it would be one of the highest attended matches as well even given the increased seating at BMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    In North America, by and large, no one cares about soccer. This is a pretty shocking culture if you are an elite soccer professional.

Plus the culture of the locker room is obviously unique. All these guys making 50K and living with their parents etc, guys like Giovinco haven't seen that since they were 16.
    That may end up being a good thing, though. I can totally understand how some players get tired of the constant attention outside of gameday in other parts of the world. It could end up being a nice change for some guys coming in and realizing they're one of the top dogs on a team but can still live in relative anonymity when they're not on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I wonder if MLSE will think about expanding BMO field to 40K seats if they manage to sell out this season.

This signing can potentially sell out 30K seats this year and winning TFC can create huge demand for tickets.
    Well, as myself and others have mentioned in the BMO Field thread, I think the stadium is gonna get more seating regardless of TFC's fortunes. But I will say that if the crowds come back to watch TFC and we can make a good go of things next season - it does give the soccer branch of MLSE more clout when the Argonauts and City come by with their list of demands.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 01-18-2015 at 04:00 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    Really, it SO doesn't matter who broke what, who had what information first, etc. This isn't at all about the reporters who cover this club. It's about Toronto FC getting a talented player, the kind of player they've long needed, who makes them a better team. That should be the focus here. Nothing else.

My two cents spent.

John Molinaro
    Well, we appreciate your body of work over the years, and know that this is a tough beat that must give pause to your bosses (this ain't exactly the leafs in terms of interest level). So thanks for that.

Question: have you asked yet whether "Joe" has any connection to TO? Maybe he or his wife have family here....?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Ha! Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they organized a friendly against Juve this season as part of the deal. And I bet you it would be one of the highest attended matches as well even given the increased seating at BMO.
    Juventus-Fiorentina only got 21,000 out at the stadium formerly known as SkyDome in May 2010.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm still pinching myself over this one. A creative, attacking mid/winger on TFC!
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In today's game he got subbed in at the 83rd minute. But the circumstances were a bit weird. Buffon actually kicked the ball out of play so that Giovinco could come on (since he had been standing at the touchline for quite some time). Something Buffon would probably only do if it were Giovinco's last appearance.

I guess it's possible he could be coming sooner than July.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The announcement is at 1:00 pm tomorrow. I doubt Giovinco is going to be there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The announcement is at 1:00 pm tomorrow. I doubt Giovinco is going to be there.
    maybe through skype?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be a little silly to call a press conference without having the player there. But Juventus played today so I dunno.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe LTs private plane?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    maybe LTs private plane?
    But that would still strike me as odd. What is the rush? Why have a player rush to the airport to come here right after a game instead of having the press conference a day later?

Also would like that for selfish reasons as I will be stuck on a plane to Hong Kong during the press conference. Does Air Canada have wifi yet?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    But that would still strike me as odd. What is the rush? Why have a player rush to the airport to come here right after a game instead of having the press conference a day later?

Also would like that for selfish reasons as I will be stuck on a plane to Hong Kong during the press conference. Does Air Canada have wifi yet?
    He is not going to be in attendance for the announcement tomorrow.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love seeing the optimism on the Italian community coming out. I hope to see that as well.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    He is not going to be in attendance for the announcement tomorrow.
    I wonder what the big rush is to have a press conference though before everything is ready.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I love seeing the optimism on the Italian community coming out. I hope to see that as well.
    I also would be up for the Reds signing a player from Ghana, love to see that vibe make a return to BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good on you to remember Chinaglia. He had an ego that made it possible for him to dominate the NASL and survive in NY. I hope that Giovinco speaks some English - I think lack of same was a problem for Gilberto.
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Chinaglia went to the Cosmos at 28/29.......

Massive signing.....well done to Leiweke and Bez......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oduro doesn't count?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwell View Post
    ... I hope that Giovinco speaks some English - I think lack of same was a problem for Gilberto.
    Bradley speaks decent enough Italian, by all accounts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Juventus-Fiorentina only got 21,000 out at the stadium formerly known as SkyDome in May 2010.
    And that was with Del Piero. That game actually felt like Del Piero and friends a faint Fiorentina.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I hope to see some sustained interest past the inintial few games here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you care about breaking a story, you probably don't do it that often.

I'll keep my thoughts to myself but it's actually kind of funny what I just read.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In North America, by and large, no one cares about soccer. This is a pretty shocking culture if you are an elite soccer professional.

Plus the culture of the locker room is obviously unique. All these guys making 50K and living with their parents etc, guys like Giovinco haven't seen that since they were 16.
    Yah but that would take an average person, 15?20? Minutes to get used to... It's the initial awe, but I don't understand how guys like defoe, making millions, in a multi cultural city like Toronto, can't find a place to belong?

Not being a superstar and recognized everywhere you go is a different issue...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    That's a huge advantage if he comes in July. He will have a chance to stay in town and avoid travel and really be in a bubble for the first few weeks.

Hopefully Corso Italia can keep him feeling home sick and he can really feel like this is his new home.
    Its crazy I just checked the schedule and in July 3 out of the 4 games are actually on the road, still think it will be good if he avoids the opening slog though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, we appreciate your body of work over the years, and know that this is a tough beat that must give pause to your bosses (this ain't exactly the leafs in terms of interest level). So thanks for that.

Question: have you asked yet whether "Joe" has any connection to TO? Maybe he or his wife have family here....?
    Wow. That's very kind of you to say. thanks.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    If you care about breaking a story, you probably don't do it that often.

I'll keep my thoughts to myself but it's actually kind of funny what I just read.
    Not sure who this is aimed at - hopefully not me - but I think you have a point in that too many reporters (in all fields) care more about their egos and breaking stories

As I wrote earlier in this thread, it doesn't matter who broke what, and who had what info when. It's not about that or the reporter. It's about Giovinco and TFC signing an important player.

John Molinaro
    Last edited by johnmolinaro; 01-18-2015 at 09:04 PM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps, but TFC will be fielding a former Juve player ourselves and I assume it will be at BMO Field. The attendance for the friendly against Tottenham last year was almost a sell-out crowd at BMO Field (22,500). Of course, a lot depends on how this is all marketed.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 01-18-2015 at 08:49 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    I stand corrected. I didn't think that this would happen. Looks like a good signing. At least until he gets mowed down by MLS hacks and experiences our officiating first hand. Oh, and the travel, the climate and the culture shock. Which is not inconsequential for someone who has only played in 1 league.

But with the 2015 schedule being what it is. We really need him in camp soon to adjust and contribute early. Not in July.
    I'm concerned about size too, what happens when Jameson Olave starts leaning on this guy? Then when there is no call about it?

I don't follow Serie A, so I had no idea who this guy was before TFC interest. Watching he highlight videos he looks like a champ, but my money is on Altidore having a MUCH bigger impact on our performance this year than Giovinco.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    I'm concerned about size too, what happens when Jameson Olave starts leaning on this guy? Then when there is no call about it?

I don't follow Serie A, so I had no idea who this guy was before TFC interest. Watching he highlight videos he looks like a champ, but my money is on Altidore having a MUCH bigger impact on our performance this year than Giovinco.

there are big defenders and no calls from refs everywhere. I don't see it being a problem. It wasn't for Plata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    there are big defenders and no calls from refs everywhere. I don't see it being a problem. It wasn't for Plata.
    Yeah im not too concerned about it. Giovinco skill level is alot higher then Plata so he should be able to keep himself out of those positions.

And im sure Bradley and the staff will let him know what defenders to watch out for with there dirty tactics.