Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread: Giovinco to TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    You are correct. Unfortunately, the league office has rewarded TFC by trying to thwart Altidore's move to Toronto in favour of New York, and by forcing management to trade excess DPs to rival MLS clubs instead of doing what's best for the organization.
    We have absolutely no idea what goes on behind the scenes and even though it's fun and mysterious to pretend the MLS is out on some personal vendetta, it's just not practical.

Also don't lose sight of the fact that Gilberto is absolutely worthless with respect to world football. He's a dime a dozen striker without a left foot that's seeing his potential vanish more and more as the days go by. Outside of Portugal, I'm not convinced he'd be wanted anywhere in Europe.

Who cares where he goes, it's pocket change to MLSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mitchf View Post
    Anyone else more concerned than excited? All it takes is a cold night in Columbus to realize that he's no longer playing under the bright lights. I'm hoping his wife adjusts and his English comes along quickly.. Bradley and co. have a lot of work to do to make Gio feel comfortable.
    Not concerned in the slightest, last I check Italy also gets cold weather and rain just like many parts of the world. As for adjusting, toronto's Italian community will see to him and his family bedding in and becoming comfortable, as to the language issues Bradley does speak Italian, and some else does too I believe.

Besides have you seen his smiles and comments about italy/juve, he's out to prove a point and is going to destroy anything and everyone who tries to stop him. He is a man using his passions to fuel his desire to be a true winner, just like bradley.

I think it's awesome that we have a set of players that are out to prove their detractors wrong, just going to push the whole side to be a dominant as much as possible. I think we're going to have a cracker of a year, and even though I've said the same thing in past years, this is the first time where I've actually believed it without having to convince myself first.

Game on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd care if he went to Montreal - they need a striker like him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have absolutely no idea what goes on behind the scenes and even though it's fun and mysterious to pretend the MLS is out on some personal vendetta, it's just not practical.

Also don't lose sight of the fact that Gilberto is absolutely worthless with respect to world football. He's a dime a dozen striker without a left foot that's seeing his potential vanish more and more as the days go by. Outside of Portugal, I'm not convinced he'd be wanted anywhere in Europe.

This is an incredibly harsh review of Gilberto as a player. And I don't think people are concerned about the money re: Gilberto. They are concerned about trading him within the league, and making one of our opponents stronger.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    And I don't think people are concerned about the money re: Gilberto. They are concerned about trading him within the league, and making one of our opponents stronger.
    Yes, that is my main concern and the penchant for former TFC players who go on to be solid players in the league, while the player we brought in to "replace" the player that's was deemed "not good enough" goes on to shit the bed for us and at the end of the year we're left holding the bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    This is an incredibly harsh review of Gilberto as a player. And I don't think people are concerned about the money re: Gilberto. They are concerned about trading him within the league, and making one of our opponents stronger.
    Yes, and also the joy of seeing a player develop and grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Which really doesn't happen with internationals anymore, seems like it's one a done... which I understand from a certain point of view, we have academy kids to watch develop. The only problem with that is we seem to consign many of those players to the bench or worse never let them play at all, probably why TFC 2 really will be that important missing cog in the machine.

Allowing the cream of the academy to develop into the first team while still earning a decent living.

Does USL Pro have a salary cap? Must right? Other wise TFC 2 could sign players to bigger contracts and loan them to TFC while eating most of the wages on the USL books.

Or you could sign your Academy kids to big deals (if you had a real gem) for two years, player gets well paid then takes the club discount to improve the overall cap position of the club, almost like a front end loaded contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    We can't get that with the likes of Osorio, Chapman, Aparicio, Manella, Lovitz, Zavaleta, etc? And besides, Altidore is the same age as Gilberto and will be around longer than Gilberto would have been. So if watching him grow is your concern, you'll see a lot more of Altidore's career here than you would have of Gilberto's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless Altidore really is made of glass, or struggles to find the net. It not like he's on Chad Barrett money after all. Would like to see what a Hamilton/Altidore pairing could do though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dekost View Post
    Sure, he played as a true 10 in Parma. But Parma plays in a completely different way than Juve. They don't attack and have the ball most of the time like Juve does, and mainly try to hurt in counterattacks. That made it much easier for him. When he was in Juve, he mostly played with his shoulders facing the opponents' goal (I don't know what the technical term is in english), constantly man-marked very closely. He was very limited in that position, considering how Juve played. His physique made it even more difficult to play like that. That's why I always hoped I could one day see him play (again) as a wing - he would have had more space to try and dribble opponents, which he's not bad at.
    But the real difference imo was that in Parma he had lots of counterattacks. I think that a comparison with Sanchez is legitimate. He too was amazing at Udinese (that mostly scored through counterattacks) but had two not-so-great seasons with Barcelona - which has ball possession for 70 % of the game and is almost always attacking, trying to find ways to work around the other team's defensive line.
    He cannot play with his back to goal, he is just to small, he has to run into space and at players. I agree about how Parma play and that is why he excelled and should have stayed there. But the way Parma play is the way I like seeing football played, but I am biased as I grew up with that style in Italy, in the 70S AND 80S. But bias or not that is a proven winning style, and you need less skill particullalry in your midfield then a more possession game. TFC is no Juve, we do not have Marchisio, VIdal, Pogba, ect. in the midfield, we have a bunch of Serie B guys ( our guys may be better athletes, but Serie B guys would be far more intelligent tactically/organizationally)

I would hope that with TFC we would also try to play of the counter, keeping organized, and taking advantage of our players that have the skills to take punish the opponents defensive mistakes, and in this league you will see many defensive mistakes.

I am Milanese and a Milanista, and we get the same shit as Juve, not so much this year because we suck. But if you have not watched allot of MLS, you will be shocked at the reffing.

Juve is strong this year, I hope that you go far in the CL, but Roma is there as well and they are being smart about their market. I am not sure when Milan will be back, although the purchase of Destro was a happy surprise, we need mids and backs. I suspect Milan will not be the Gran Milan untill Berlusca sells and we get new ownership, Inter should be back next year.
    Last edited by trane; 02-08-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Imagine living in a country where it's football, football, football then going to see a hockey and basketball game both crowds sold out two nights in a row

He probably has a better understanding of the true competition TFC and other MLS teams have now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Imagine living in a country where it's football, football, football then going to see a hockey and basketball game both crowds sold out two nights in a row

He probably has a better understanding of the true competition TFC and other MLS teams have now
    Giovinco was 3-0 at the ACC the weekend. He must have the totally wrong impression of the professional sports culture in this city, LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Giovinco was 3-0 at the ACC the weekend. He must have the totally wrong impression of the professional sports culture in this city, LOL.
    Yeah!, or maybe this is the turning point for all the teams!

except for the leafs of coarse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some great goals here : )