Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Giovinco to TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we get him to start the season, we'll pay a transfer fee. If he comes in July it'll be on a free.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I was thinking about this as well. If the reports are accurate that we are paying a multi million dollar transfer fee, why would Juventus insist on having him stay for the balance of the Serie A schedule to languish on the bench?

Our contract offer obviously blew other interested clubs out of the water, so it stands to reason that we could have acquired him for free to join our club in July.
    I think based on what I have read is that a transfer fee would only be applicable if the Reds wanted him to arrive earlier than July, which would mean an agreement with Juventus would have to take place before closing of the January transfer window.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I think based on what I have read is that a transfer fee would only be applicable if the Reds wanted him to arrive earlier than July, which would mean an agreement with Juventus would have to take place before closing of the January transfer window.
    That is what I understood as well, although reports have indicated that a significant transfer fee has been offered by TFC, so I assume it's up to Juventus at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy shit!! I swore this wouldnt happen, it was too good to be true. Think of the chemistry!? Bradley and Altidore are like a pair on their national team. Bradley welcomes Gio and takes him under his wing. I could just see it, Bradley knows exactly where Altidore is going while yelling at Gio in Italian! lol What a great trio. Oh and this native dp extra slot idea, is genius and just what garber wants, people to bring the U.S national team home to MLS. I hope Gilberto stays, we'd be the new guardians against the Galaxy! Seriously though, MLSE only has to worry about the salary cap. When it comes to signings. Yet getting peoples attention when you want to make signings and bringing in personnel like jurgen klinnsman, kevin payne etc is all off the books as far as MLS is concerned. Sometimes like now, I think MLSE must send like gigantic wire transfers of dough to foreign owners after they land to talk business lol. I know we got a sweet new training ground but bringing in bradley, koevermans, altidore,defoe, torsten frings, gilberto. to a team thats never made the playoffs?
    we definitly dont have money problems!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a pretty damn good signing. Bravo TFC!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Just WOW

Can we keep Gilberto too please?!?

We must to be competitive.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand corrected. I didn't think that this would happen. Looks like a good signing. At least until he gets mowed down by MLS hacks and experiences our officiating first hand. Oh, and the travel, the climate and the culture shock. Which is not inconsequential for someone who has only played in 1 league.

But with the 2015 schedule being what it is. We really need him in camp soon to adjust and contribute early. Not in July.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    I stand corrected. I didn't think that this would happen. Looks like a good signing. At least until he gets mowed down by MLS hacks and experiences our officiating first hand. Oh, and the travel, the climate and the culture shock. Which is not inconsequential for someone who has only played in 1 league.

But with the 2015 schedule being what it is. We really need him in camp soon to adjust and contribute early. Not in July.
    never really understood players getting cultural shock in Toronto.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    never really understood players getting cultural shock in Toronto.
    In North America, by and large, no one cares about soccer. This is a pretty shocking culture if you are an elite soccer professional.

Plus the culture of the locker room is obviously unique. All these guys making 50K and living with their parents etc, guys like Giovinco haven't seen that since they were 16.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We signed Defoe and played a friendly against Tottenham...
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David Amoyal ‏@DavidAmoyal 2h2 hours ago If Giovinco could get $10 million (after taxes no less) in MLS the real question is how much could Padoin get to play in Canada

He said in another tweet that it is $7M base plus $3M bonuses. But if that is net, then his gross will be probably double the next highest in the league. That is how much a "truckload" is.

something, something other people's money etc but a salary that large is going to create some ramifications in the league, and could shift the discussion in the CBA talks.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 01-18-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's that ridiculous youtube video of idiots saying it was impossible for us to sign him that somebody posted here a few days ago and that Giovinco would only come here years down to line to retire?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Where's that ridiculous youtube video of idiots saying it was impossible for us to sign him that somebody posted here a few days ago and that Giovinco would only come here years down to line to retire?
    Hahahahaha. Touche

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I love this nickname , might even consider putting Atomic Ant on a jersey.
    i don't know, you don't want the General to get jealous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is insane. So excited for the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post

Kinda wonder how his size will hold up with all the aggressive tackles but coming in July might be the best thing. With the lopsided schedule if he came in July he would miss a huge chunk of the travel, have a good run of games at home and be able to get settled in the city avoiding the massive opening road trip is one less thing to overcome when getting used to MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now lets see if he can convince some good italian players to come with him in the future, not DP type players but good role players. This move can be a game changer

The meeting must of gone like this..
    .His agent says, hey you want to play in MLS?
    Giovinco- MLS...what is that?
    Agent- its in North America
    Giovinco- haaa yeah right I'm still young, no way
    Agent- they are going to offer you 10 mil
    Gio- where do i sign

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Kinda wonder how his size will hold up with all the aggressive tackles but coming in July might be the best thing. With the lopsided schedule if he came in July he would miss a huge chunk of the travel, have a good run of games at home and be able to get settled in the city avoiding the massive opening road trip is one less thing to overcome when getting used to MLS
    That's a huge advantage if he comes in July. He will have a chance to stay in town and avoid travel and really be in a bubble for the first few weeks.

Hopefully Corso Italia can keep him feeling home sick and he can really feel like this is his new home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team must be in roster compliance march 1. At this point, 3 dp is the rule. So any contract would need timing flexibility.
    as in, if current rule on dp numbers stand, he comes in july. Gives team time to work out a deal on. Gilberto. If extra DP adde in cba, he could come now/soon. Transfer fee applies. If fourth dp added, but a slight cba related delay to season, july seems appropriate.

Also as this seems to be bradleys team, the italian language barrier doesnt exist with. Bradley speaking italian. No reason to expect confusion on field like Gilberto seems to have had at the begining. I read somewhere that Gilberto had a very attractive GF here in toronto. That is how i imagine learning a new language is accomplished in a very short time frame !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Well no tweet of welcome from a soon to be former staffer is probably a good thing.

Seriously, I would trust this info. If you watch how the news about Defoe to Sunderland went down locally among the beat reporters, that's what happened here tonight. With Defoe, it was Wheeler who got the local confirmation (after a UK report). Here, Molinaro did a LOT of digging today to get this, and everything followed.

I feel good for Molinaro as he was an hour behind on the confirmation on Defoe - this one he broke, and this is a bigger story.

We are spoiled in this city now for TFC and soccer reporters. No other city in in North America has the amount of people working MLS as here.
    Wrong. Gareth Wheeler broke the news that Giovinco was about to sign on the 14th of January, at the time the Sunderland deal broke. Nobody else even mentioned him until Saturday, unless they were using Wheeler's info. Sportsnet did not even acknowledge the rumour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great signing boys. Love Juventus my favorite Series A, But who going to be Our center backs will score shit load but with the Defense we have going to be same old story!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    i don't know, you don't want the General to get jealous.
    Ha, Ha, good one, I have my General Jerseys.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cementhead View Post
    Great signing boys. Love Juventus my favorite Series A, But who going to be Our center backs will score shit load but with the Defense we have going to be same old story!
    CB signing is coming soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why hasn't he been playing for last year and a half?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if MLSE will think about expanding BMO field to 40K seats if they manage to sell out this season.

This signing can potentially sell out 30K seats this year and winning TFC can create huge demand for tickets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Why hasn't he been playing for last year and a half?
    Juventus doesn't play with wingers. They played the last 3 years with 2 strikers. They made Giovinco a second striker and he plays behind Tevez who never misses a game.

Also, hate to say it but he struggled the past couple years. Poor decision-making in the final third. He's not really a striker. He's more of a winger.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    Wrong. Gareth Wheeler broke the news that Giovinco was about to sign on the 14th of January, at the time the Sunderland deal broke. Nobody else even mentioned him until Saturday, unless they were using Wheeler's info. Sportsnet did not even acknowledge the rumour.

Are you like Wheeler's Mum?

FWIW, from what I read of Wheeler, he said they were close but no deal done yet....which is what most people were saying at the time. Everybody had mentioned Giovinco before then. Every beat reporter had it mentionned to them.

Molinaro tracked down the ACTUAL signing yesterday. Which is why he got credited by most people. Water under the bridge this though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    That's a huge advantage if he comes in July. He will have a chance to stay in town and avoid travel and really be in a bubble for the first few weeks.

Hopefully Corso Italia can keep him feeling home sick and he can really feel like this is his new home.
    The one thing is that having him showing up July 1st means he will play his first season with the club without Altidore and Bradley due to the Gold Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Are you like Wheeler's Mum?

FWIW, from what I read of Wheeler, he said they were close but no deal done yet....which is what most people were saying at the time. Everybody had mentioned Giovinco before then. Every beat reporter had it mentionned to them.

Molinaro tracked down the ACTUAL signing yesterday. Which is why he got credited by most people. Water under the bridge this though.
    Really, it SO doesn't matter who broke what, who had what information first, etc. This isn't at all about the reporters who cover this club. It's about Toronto FC getting a talented player, the kind of player they've long needed, who makes them a better team. That should be the focus here. Nothing else.

My two cents spent.

John Molinaro

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ speaking of two cents. I still can't get over the $7M figure. That's 700,000,000 cents.

The Union has to have a field day with that.