Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Giovinco to TFC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    A decent video.

Wow...contrast that to Frings at Union station (a video to this day I still can't watch, because it makes me cringe).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    A similar player in skill IMO Adam Lallana makes 4.2 million euros for Liverpool… so maybe 5.5 million USD. He cost a huge transfer fee, 25 million POUNDS. your looking at about almost twice what we are paying Giovinco. Even England would have to overpay for Giovinco btw. I’ll take Giovinco and his cost over Lallanna…
    I think i am right in saying that he came here on a free transfer, if that's the case that always help you get a bigger wage than you would have got had there been a large transfer fee involved.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    trane, how much of Giovinco have you seen? What's your guess on how he does here?
    Most of the Juve supporters I know are saying he should do well in this league even though he's been on the bench most of the year.

Trane?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Most of the Juve supporters I know are saying he should do well in this league even though he's been on the bench most of the year.

Trane?
    I've seen a fair bit of Juve the last 3-4 years (maybe 5 games a year) but I have rarely seen Giovinco. Even was he was a regular, I missed him.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with his pedigree it should be a no brainer he will excel here, but football doesn't always work out that way as we know.
    I'd say the only thing he will have to get used to is the pace of the game, you won't get the time affored to you on the ball you do in serie a, but a player with his skillset will adjust to that pretty quickly.
    Not that I am comparing him to Gianfranco Zola but I recall when he first came to PL with Chelsea, many people myself included at the time said he was too small, the pace of PL would be too quick, too physical. He ended being one of the best players ever to grace it, he adjusted to the game very quickly, I can Giovinco making a similiar impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Wow...contrast that to Frings at Union station (a video to this day I still can't watch, because it makes me cringe).
    To be fair, I don't think Bay street types are the ones will be into soccer at all. So having Frings at Union Station during rush hour(?) was bad idea.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    To be fair, I don't think Bay street types are the ones will be into soccer at all. So having Frings at Union Station during rush hour(?) was bad idea.
    That was sort of my point though. Too bad that he went through what must have been a pretty humiliating experience because of an ill-advised publicity stunt dreamed up by MLSE. Too bad he didn't have the kind of welcoming party Gio had. In any event, I'm sure Gio already somewhat feels at home which can only be a good thing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that was certainly something else!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sat there today and watched all this on twitter etc and just smiled at the potential.

I get the feeling that something just snapped into place locally that is going to eventually change how this game is followed here.

Maybe not this season, and certainly not for a cold Wednesday night in May. But, there is something palpably there. An understanding between the Euro and the local and that there is a place for the local in those who follow the Euro.

A lot of ifs still have to follow to make this work:

If he stays healthy. (come on, all of us are thinking it - first game on that turf in BC - just like we thought first game last season on that turf in Seattle)

If the team is competitive early on.

If he stays interested in the project.

If there is some measure of success this season.

If TFC's marketing team don't mess it all up.

If they don't raise ticket prices next season too much.

BUT...but.....this signing has the potential to take TFC support into an area where no other MLS team has gone.

We'll see. But, that was VERY different from the Kaka fest and anything else we've seen in MLS so far.

Wow indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    A decent video.

brilliant, well done lads. He's tiny, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    That's exactly why he was a sour puss his whole time here. The party wasn't big enough for his ego.
    Enough already. Just, enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    It was a joke. FFS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    It was a joke. FFS
    Yeah. I agree. This has been way overdone. That video was a lame idea, some sort of edgy post-ironic idiocy, but it didn't actually mean anything.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Maybe not this season, and certainly not for a cold Wednesday night in May. But, there is something palpably there. An understanding between the Euro and the local and that there is a place for the local in those who follow the Euro.
    Interesting way of putting it. Whatever the merits of this signing, I see what you mean.

I am old enough to remember going to an event at the Eaton Centre for Bettega in the early 80s (Giovinco is nothing compared to what Bobby-Gol was, for you kids out there). It was pandemonium.

If TFC could ever actually reach/touch the Italian football fan and his/her identity with this sport, it would put this thing on another level. Very tall order though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW MLSE sent at least 1 bus full of employees to welcome him at the airport. So the crowd was a little inflated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looked to me like there was 600+ people and could imagine if this was on a weekend, it could have easily been 1000+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    FWIW MLSE sent at least 1 bus full of employees to welcome him at the airport. So the crowd was a little inflated.
    30 to 40 people from the FO....big deal,still about 500 to 600,thats great for a weekday..so many debbie downers on here these days

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The day the Reds get a crowd that rivals the 1992-93 Jays, is the day in my mind they will have finally arrived. Despite my passion of the Reds, the impression that those heros of yesteryear left on me will last a life time. To this day I have never seen something before or since take hold of this city like that. On the note I am really excited to see how this goes after the start of last year and the excitement it brought. I am ready for a ride that finds it's way into November, as I think we all are.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woodbridge must have been deserted for a few hours. Great turnout.

The FO mob were probably there to offer on-the-spot discounts for season's seats.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shouldn't the propaganda outlet know how to pronounce his name? Seems to say Gee-oh the first time then Joe later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enough already. Just, enough.
    Wow, simmer down. It was a direct response to someone's comment Mrs Defoe.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    Shouldn't the propaganda outlet know how to pronounce his name? Seems to say Gee-oh the first time then Joe later.
    Sooooooo, they corrected themselves? I don't see the damage.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's one of the lead stories on the MLS website and gaining traction.

Thank you Armen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Giovinco will contribute but will he deserve all the recognition he has received at the end of the year, time will tell, but at least we didnt only improve our DPs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    btw snowing where Gio just came from
    Turin? It might snow occasionally, but it's subtropical.

Look at the current 14-day forecast: http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Tu...emonte/IT.aspx

The highs for the next few days are 6, 10, 10, 14, 13 ... okay you get the picture. And the lows are -1, 2, 2, 4, 2, 4, ...

Compare to Toronto where the highs coming up are -1, -5, -7, -7, -6, -11, -17 ... and the lows are -7, -7, -10, -13, -13, -20, and -24.

Sure, it can get cold in Turin. But nothing like here, and it doesn't stay cold. Maybe if you climb a mountain ... but you don't live up on the mountain.

Perhaps I'm getting jaded with time, but I'm not that thrilled by either Altidore - whose performance for years has been poor - or Giovinco. With Defoe, there was no question about whether he could perform, only if he wanted to ... and while he wanted to he was great. The issue however was whether he wanted to be here or not.

For these 2 new players, we're not even sure if they are up to it. Altidore hasn't been able to score, and Giovinco hasn't been getting enough playing time. Let's see where they are at in 6 months ... but I fear we are being given a lot of kool-aid ... and I have no faith in Varney.
    Last edited by nfitz; 02-06-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Turin? It might snow occasionally, but it's subtropical.

Look at the current 14-day forecast: http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Tu...emonte/IT.aspx

The highs for the next few days are 6, 10, 10, 14, 13 ... okay you get the picture. And the lows are -1, 2, 2, 4, 2, 4, ...

Compare to Toronto where the highs coming up are -1, -5, -7, -7, -6, -11, -17 ... and the lows are -7, -7, -10, -13, -13, -20, and -24.

Sure, it can get cold in Turin. But nothing like here, and it doesn't stay cold. Maybe if you climb a mountain ... but you don't live up on the mountain.

Perhaps I'm getting jaded with time, but I'm not that thrilled by either Altidore - whose performance for years has been poor - or Giovinco. With Defoe, there was no question about whether he could perform, only if he wanted to ... and while he wanted to he was great. The issue however was whether he wanted to be here or not.

For these 2 new players, we're not even sure if they are up to it. Altidore hasn't been able to score, and Giovinco hasn't been getting enough playing time. Let's see where they are at in 6 months ... but I fear we are being given a log of kool-aid ... and I have no faith in Varney.
    This is silly. Kool-Aid doesn't come in logs.

Everything else is a pretty good point. I just like being optimistic as this is the only part of the year where we can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Woodbridge must have been deserted for a few hours. Great turnout.

The FO mob were probably there to offer on-the-spot discounts for season's seats.
    Love the signing.....i just pray and hope that i see TFC Giovinco jerseys and not the blue and black and white ones.....IM PRAYING!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

brilliant, well done lads. He's tiny, though.
    Surely you mean "diminutive."