0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    "I finx we was piss pour" would suffice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I was talking about people getting these great vibes from the latest new manager's carefully delivered pearls of wisdom. Happens every time. I fell for it from Mo, and from Nelsen. Everyone here will have a different list of who they bought into early because he "sounded" right about something.

To your point, I think this is maybe 25% of a manager's job and is hugely overrated.

The formation stuff distracts people. Barcelona at its best played what looked liked a 0-10-0 with the whole thing built around triangle passing, Guardiola looked at people with blank stares when asked what formation he was playing.
    And he probably followed it up by saying "I don't believe in formations we play as a collective" or something like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK learning a little more about Giovinco... I don't know how the midfield will look

--------------Altidore--------------
    ----------Giovinco(f)-----------------
    --------Osorio------Lovitz----------
    ----------Bradley(f)-------------------
    --------------Warner---------------
    Morrow---Caldwell-CB------Bloom

If Bradley is playing a more defensive feeding role you need the Attacking (I use the term loosely) Mids to take the ball.
    Do if Bradley is floating a bit, and Giovinco floats between Mid and a 2nd Striker role that could be interesting.

Or you leave Bradley alone in the Back in the way we wasted Frings and put two strikers and put Giovinco in a role more like how DeRo was used but with more playmaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the question for the club this year is really about formation, although it is fun to speculate. The question is whether Vanney can coach. At best the jury is out with all on field evidence unfortunately to the contrary. The circumstances give him a mulligan, but certainly there is a big doubt about whether he can translate these press conferences into on field performances. For me, the bizarre press conference about all the analytical stuff, especially measuring grit, made me think that he and Bez are both theorists not on the field leaders. I really hope I am wrong - the players we have acquired suggest that the team is setting up to be really fun to watch - but it's hard to draw any other conclusion from what we have seen and heard so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    OK learning a little more about Giovinco... I don't know how the midfield will look

--------------Altidore--------------
    ----------Giovinco(f)-----------------
    --------Osorio------Lovitz----------
    ----------Bradley(f)-------------------
    --------------Warner---------------
    Morrow---Caldwell-CB------Bloom

If Bradley is playing a more defensive feeding role you need the Attacking (I use the term loosely) Mids to take the ball.
    Do if Bradley is floating a bit, and Giovinco floats between Mid and a 2nd Striker role that could be interesting.

Or you leave Bradley alone in the Back in the way we wasted Frings and put two strikers and put Giovinco in a role more like how DeRo was used but with more playmaking.

Create your own lineup at football-formation.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[IMG] Create your own lineup at football-formation.com[/IMG]

When Giovinco arrives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

When Giovinco arrives

I suspect we're going to see variations of:

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do remember Vanney saying he wants his RB and LB to get forward. Might lead to sometimes playing a bit more like this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see that formation but I'm not convinced that Warner playing next Bradley will work. As Og alluded to, Vanney has spoken of wanting his full backs to get up and over lap so I can see the midfield being narrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there a reason everyone puts Delgado in the starting XI I mean he was a guy that started 12 games last year on one of the worse teams in the league.. He is just 19-20 he is going to be a depth player most likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there a reason everyone puts Delgado in the starting XI I mean he was a guy that started 12 games last year on one of the worse teams in the league.. He is just 19-20 he is going to be a depth player most likely.
    I see him starting the year in USL Pro if he doesn't blow any Vanney in thr preseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    I see him starting the year in USL Pro if he doesn't blow any Vanney in thr preseason.
    Totally agree but I have seen a few people thinking he will be starting on the first team, I'm sure he is good. I'm not sure he is a first choice guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the effort lol. A left and right back who know how to defend first and have a understanding of moving back and forth with the mids at pace. 1 center back who can control the line, In control of defense, bringing the ball forward to Bradley. Truth is I'd trade Altidore and my right nut for 2 great MLS CB's. Thats always been what we needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree but I have seen a few people thinking he will be starting on the first team, I'm sure he is good. I'm not sure he is a first choice guy.
    Yeah i like his ability to play multiple positions and that would be good for bench depth cause if i remeber correctly hes played at RB and midfield at Chivas.

His contract is low last year he was on 77k guaranteed so it might be better if hes in that price range still to have in the the squad even if he doesn't dress every week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think some variation of a 4-4-1-1, will be the thing, centralizing the attack around Giovanco and Altidore, and putting Bradley in the middle of everything else, with a partner that can defend when he goes forward.

We need to stay tight, compact and organized and to keep it simple going forward, running it either through the middle with Bradley and Giovinco, or on the wings, who will then cross it in to Jozy. KISS.

Defend then quick intelligent counters. A la Italia 2006 or Inter 2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without any highly skilled wingers, a 4-4-1-1 probably makes the most sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I think some variation of a 4-4-1-1, will be the thing, centralizing the attack around Giovanco and Altidore, and putting Bradley in the middle of everything else, with a partner that can defend when he goes forward.

We need to stay tight, compact and organized and to keep it simple going forward, running it either through the middle with Bradley and Giovinco, or on the wings, who will then cross it in to Jozy. KISS.

Defend then quick intelligent counters. A la Italia 2006 or Inter 2010.

Sounds a a bit like what Nelsen was having us do.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ He tried it worked for a while, and then it fell flat. But I think that the totality of the pieces is more suited for the system this year, with a true CF and a 10 that can play right behind him. The only issue with it is that Giovinco will need to stay away from traffic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think any team should have only one formation. They should have at least three different formations that they can switch up versus different opponents and/or situations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current(-ish) Formation: 4-2-1-1-2 (4-3-3 variant; first team & squad depth)

'Keepers:

Bendik is serviceable, in this league, but, as has been mentioned ad nauseam, his distribution leaves much to be desired. Here's hoping Bono slowly overtakes him, as he gains experience/confidence, first, as a back-up.

Defenders:

Pace a concern, in the centre of defence, but pedigree should see them better positioned to snuff out danger. Hagglund can be thrown in when any particular opponent calls for a more atheltic option. Bloom, I hope, won't find himself so often out of position and picking up fouls, after a full pre-season under Vanney's guide (former LB). The two DM's also provide cover for our FB's, who will be required, at times, to provide width, in the absence of any quality wingers out wide.

DM's:

Not quite the standard of a serious contender, for me, but maybe having two (instead of one), on strict instruction to "stay home," will make up for a lack of quality.

CM:

Bradley, with what you might call ample cover in defence, and a quality number ten in front of him, will have the freedom to get his head up and spray passes, find/link up with Giovinco, and pick his moments to make late runs, or to help pressurize, when out of possession, for that matter. Not being over-relied upon on either end, and with some better quality movement around him, will see Bradley's best unlocked.

AM:

Giovinco will have the keys to the attack, and has enough quality around him that he shouldn't be starved for passing options, when he's not having a pop, himself.

Forwards:

Not the most likely of partnerships, admittedly, as they, in many ways, are very similar players. That said, the type of game they play, should they develop something of an understanding, DOES have the potential to be complimentary. I personally feel that both will do well with us, this year—Gilberto, having a year's experience under his belt, and Altidore, returning to the league, with something to prove.

Hopeful Future Formation: 4-2-3-1

DM:

A Laba2-type should be able to handle shielding the back four, on his own, with Bradley in support, when it makes sense.

Attack-minded MF's:

Gilberto has played wide for most of his career; here, whilst, again, finding himself playing wider than he'd probably like, he'll have more license to cut inside and maybe play some one-twos with Altidore or anyone else in the final third. Osorio, I think, can do a job as one of three AM's, especially when he and Gilberto swap sides and keep the opponent guessing, as he did with Jackson, last year, and without the responsibility of being our go-to guy for creativity, in a CAM role. Again, all of the front four positions can be somewhat interchangeable, a la Chelsea. Gio will, of course, still be The Man, in the attack.

CF:

Altidore's strength will better allow for all our attacking options, including Bradley, to join the attack and find themselves in dangerous space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given our current pieces I'd slot Bradley up a bit.. and I'm using Warner because he is there, but any DM beside Bradley and let Bradley float up a bit.

Osorio isn't really a winger and so he'd likely float in and Lovitz and Oduro are really interchangeable there.
    Given our pieces. We need wingers that can cross which is what we were missing last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Klinsmann is rolling out a 3-5-2 system for USMNT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Looks like Klinsmann is rolling out a 3-5-2 system for USMNT.
    I really think Klinnsy is losing his luster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I really think Klinnsy is losing his luster.
    I was surprised to see some commentators speaking favorably about the change, notably to put a player behind and in front of MB rather than trying to use him as a #10. Not sure that set up will work if the intended guy behind MB is Jermaine Jones, he will want to go forward constantly. In any case I expect a hot mess tonight vs Chile, can't see how people could have internalized this big of a change so quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I was surprised to see some commentators speaking favorably about the change, notably to put a player behind and in front of MB rather than trying to use him as a #10. Not sure that set up will work if the intended guy behind MB is Jermaine Jones, he will want to go forward constantly. In any case I expect a hot mess tonight vs Chile, can't see how people could have internalized this big of a change so quickly.
    Klinsmann is an experimenter, and he's ruining that team. They haven't played a solid first-team lineup since he took charge, so there's no cohesion whatsoever. It's like watching a bad MLS team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Klinsmann is an experimenter, and he's ruining that team. They haven't played a solid first-team lineup since he took charge, so there's no cohesion whatsoever. It's like watching a bad MLS team.
    Can't disagree with any of that. I would be fine with him staying the USSF Senior Technical Dir or even becoming USSF President to replace Sunil Gulati. But his decisions managing the USMNT squad continue to be very questionable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3-5-2 is becoming a standard formation, in light of how attacking the average fullback is in today's game, they are really wing-back, it was almost inevitable. I like it, three CBs, then either a playmaking DM (Bradley) or two DMs, wingbacks, two or one CM, one AM, one CF, one SS/WF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The USMNT 3-5-2 wasn't as bad as I expected. Jermaine Jones was terrible as CB though. Put Geoff Cameron in there, it would have been much better. The shift to 4-4-2, which JA called "a more comfortable formation" in the post game interview, was a hot mess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)