Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was really good. First half of the season was great but then it all fell apart. He should have thought this through a bit better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Great memories! And, just like the goals of the year videos, who shows up in this highlight? DeRo. In almost all the best goals this year, he was on the field. Given how little he played, it is very interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was a treat watching him in the first half of the season. It's also the first time since DeRo's first stint where it felt like we could actually score

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He wasn't here long enough for me to love or hate him. I want players who want to be here and he didn't, so I hope he finds a fit back in England and I hope Jozy and the General tear shit up over here.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Great first half of the season. It was really nice to see a prolific striker play in TFC Red (Onyx).
    If he can find something to motivate him that much in Sunderland, he'l do well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all your hard work and committment Jermain! Hopefully you'll be off your mom's teet soon. Good luck in the Championship next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly, my memories of him are a missed penalty in the south end - and wanting out...

It's a shame b/c that has overshadowed the feeling at the start of the year when he slotted 2 in Seattle & we were on cloud-9...

My feelings towards him now = MEH...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carts View Post
    Sadly, my memories of him are a missed penalty in the south end - and wanting out...

It's a shame b/c that has overshadowed the feeling at the start of the year when he slotted 2 in Seattle & we were on cloud-9...

My feelings towards him now = MEH...
    Great footballer, typical self-interested formerly-poor-now-rich-and-privileged Premier league star, puzzled as to what all the fuss is about.

Still, homesickness is tough.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a good conversation with JD at a chill little party early last season, what an exciting start that went so sour. Oh what it could have been. But now onward forward, it's Jozy time.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That game midsummer, when Horst threw him to the ground, and Defoe got that ridiculous card, and no one came to his side ... that was where it first became really obvious that there was a problem.

If that had happened to Henry or Keane, there would have been NY or LA guys taking immediate straight reds to protect their meal ticket.

Defoe didn't get protected properly, I suspect because he did nothing to earn the protection of his teammates. Some of that is on Nelsen and Caldwell.

I hope Bradley is made captain, I'll never understand why that didn't happen day one, and that Bradley's higher comfort level now, and relationship with Altidore, enables him to make sure Altidore does the little things a highly-paid star needs to do to get the protection and respect from the foot soldiers that he needs.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-15-2015 at 05:40 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That game midsummer, when Horst threw him to the ground, and Defoe got that ridiculous card, and no one came to his side ... that was where it first became really obvious that there was a problem.

If that had happened to Henry or Keane, there would have been NY or LA guys taking immediate straight reds to protect their meal ticket.

Defoe didn't get protected properly, I suspect because he did nothing to earn the protection of his teammates. Some of that is on Nelsen and Caldwell.

I hope Bradley is made captain, I'll never understand why that didn't happen day one, and that Bradley's higher comfort level now, and relationship with Altidore, enables him to make sure Altidore does the little things a highly-paid star needs to do to get the protection and respect from the foot soldiers that he needs.
    My worry is the opposite; there was a game towards the end of the year -- second-to-last I think -- when the team was avoiding giving Bradley the ball deliberately. Caldwell and he were barking at one another, and I got the sense the team wasn't taking to his toughness. The income disparities on these teams are, I think, a bigger issue than we sometimes hear about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I wonder what the cause is. I'm not sure it's income so much as a plain old personailty rift between Caldwell and Bradley. Oso yells at everyone and needs to grow up. Jackson yells at everyone and is a bit of a head case.

The on field barking at each other was unreal all year. I sat two rows from the pitch for the NE game in May, and I couldn't believe how much everyone, Bradley, Osorio, Caldwell, Jackson, others were griping at each other.

I think the captain question was also a bigger problem than people thought. I really hope Vanney just makes the switch day one. It may be that Caldwell has to go to as part of this (which wouldn't be great given our non-existent CB depth)
    Last edited by ensco; 01-15-2015 at 05:59 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post
    Appreciated his natural talent, but in the end he came across as having a poor attitude, a lack of professionalism and focus.
    Overall with this whole Defoe experience the thing that impressed me the most was when Leiweke said a few months ago that Defoe should get the hell out of the way if he didn't want to be here - that's the kind of culture I'd like at TFC.
    \Christ !! THATS THE KIND OF CULTURE WE,VE HAD FOR 8 FREAKIN YEARS AND WHERE DID THAT GET US ... Lewieke is the sole blame for this fiasco and where is he ....jumpin ship with his bonus in tact. and using Defoe as a scapegoat and Bez as his lapdog. Yes that lack of focus from Defoe in scoring at a rate ( 11 in 16 ) not done by any striker at the time is piss poor - gimme a break man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He brought, about 6 games worth watching because of him.

Other than that, all I can say is, I hope he doesn't start scoring with Sunderland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a fucking farce this has been.

Having said that... Jermain is by far the best player I've ever seen play in a TFC shirt.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dow117 View Post
    \Christ !! THATS THE KIND OF CULTURE WE,VE HAD FOR 8 FREAKIN YEARS AND WHERE DID THAT GET US ... Lewieke is the sole blame for this fiasco and where is he ....jumpin ship with his bonus in tact. and using Defoe as a scapegoat and Bez as his lapdog. Yes that lack of focus from Defoe in scoring at a rate ( 11 in 16 ) not done by any striker at the time is piss poor - gimme a break man
    This is an appreciation thread so appreciating his scoring rate is right on.

The rest of your tirade makes no sense and more to the point doesn't belong here. You say the culture has been the same for 8 years but Lieweke alone changed that culture, not to speak of other culture changes in other regimes. To say those cultures haven't brought success is accurate. To say we haven't changed in 8 years is incorrect and really just lazy analysis.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I wonder what the cause is. I'm not sure it's income so much as a plain old personailty rift between Caldwell and Bradley. Oso yells at everyone and needs to grow up. Jackson yells at everyone and is a bit of a head case.

The on field barking at each other was unreal all year. I sat two rows from the pitch for the NE game in May, and I couldn't believe how much everyone, Bradley, Osorio, Caldwell, Jackson, others were griping at each other.

I think the captain question was also a bigger problem than people thought. I really hope Vanney just makes the switch day one. It may be that Caldwell has to go to as part of this (which wouldn't be great given our non-existent CB depth)
    its usually not that bad i sit row 1 near the tunnel, i remember two home games for their on-field interactions and they were both against NE

Usually if theyre arent barking at each other then thats a bad thing (see the second NE game) this team hates guys who dont care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Bradley should be made captain as well - I agree. But I also see why it wasn't done last season right off the hop - and listening to Bradley speak, part of that could have been him.

If he arrives and is immediately planted with the armband, the expectations, hooplah, etc all goes up. Talk of "big time player comes in and Caldwell is stripped of the band" etc hits the media and chat boards - and we don't need that. Listening to Bradley speak, it wouldn't surprise if he was totally ok with not being handed the band...

But this season, I think its time to hand him the reigns and let him lead this squad now & in the years to come, as the superstar DP he is...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the 10 or so goals, glad to be rid of someone who thought he was bigger than the team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    My worry is the opposite; there was a game towards the end of the year -- second-to-last I think -- when the team was avoiding giving Bradley the ball deliberately. Caldwell and he were barking at one another, and I got the sense the team wasn't taking to his toughness. The income disparities on these teams are, I think, a bigger issue than we sometimes hear about.
    That's an interesting and oft-neglected issue, but has there really been any indication of similar issues in, say, Los Angeles? I know there was lots of income-related drama when Beckham first went there, but then they patched that up, and I never heard about it again. I suppose in their case, winning heals all wounds.

As for Defoe - best footballer to ever wear a TFC shirt, but not really lamenting him being gone. Lamenting that it didn't work out, maybe. It's clear there was a problem there, thus he had to go. Not much else to say.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFootyFanatic View Post
    Thanks for all your hard work and committment Jermain! Hopefully you'll be off your mom's teet soon. Good luck in the Championship next season.
    Sums it up Perfect! lol

Appreciation thread?... Only 1 of 2 guys who ever played for TFC and didnt deserve to wear our kit.
    Actually he can join the other guy who didnt deserve our jersey Eric Hassli. the 2 strikers on my worst TFC 11, right in there with
    Mista, Vitti, garcia, lombardo. ruiz etc etc
    (shit I see a trend here...)
    Last edited by dutch; 01-17-2015 at 12:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GO SPURS!!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fun game so far. Defoe's been causing Spurs trouble
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yohan, where are you watching it? I can't find the game on TV.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-17-2015 at 11:03 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Yohan, where are you watching it? I can't find the game on TV.
    online stream
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I'll look for one. Hope he scores!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gets fouled, doesn't get the call, whines at the ref (even if he had a legit reason). Doesn't pressure the ball. Spurs has a crack at the goal.

So Defoe

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Gets fouled, doesn't get the call, whines at the ref (even if he had a legit reason). Doesn't pressure the ball. Spurs has a crack at the goal.

So Defoe
    Yup. He's still a world class striker, but very one dimensional in terms of his presence on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Yup. He's still a world class striker, but very one dimensional in terms of his presence on the pitch.
    Well that's an oxymoron, you cant be world class with only just finishing, the rest of his game sucks balls.

Glad we kept Gilberto who can actually help in a lot more ways.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and Eriksen with a late dagger.
    Sunderland really needs a creative CM

-Eduardo Galeano