Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the end of the day "reputation" means very little when a player comes into the MLS. TFC alone have had players who couldn't get into premiership first teams - and players like Eckersley who struggled to get into League 2 Plymouth's side - come over and played very well.

Meanwhile there are other players who are poor in lower league English teams who have done EXTREMELY well in the MLS (Giles Barnes scored 1 goal in 33 games for Doncaster, but scored 9 in 30 at Houston and looked a beast of a player when he came to BMO.

Altidore scoring only 1 in the Premiership therefore means very little. If Barnes can score 9, there is no reason why Altidore can't get mid double figure goals.

Whether that means Altidore is DP value is questionable, but I think he will be a good signing and very capable of scoring goals in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    I'm very happy that Defoe has gone. Good riddance. I'm not happy TFC are giving a fortune to a striker who may not be worth DP status. I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling I won't be.
    Agree with first two sentences. I won't argue about your feeling but I'll share your hope

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Really? Our track record on such things is so good.
    And I wasn't going on TFC's fantastic transfer history. Just my gut feeling.

Bloody Canaries !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    And I wasn't going on TFC's fantastic transfer history. Just my gut feeling.

Bloody Canaries !
    You have no idea how many times I've said that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice one pal ! Have a good one.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...me-Canada.html

probably an honest overview of the whole thing....
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So out of the 3 DP'S who should be taking free kicks and penalty shots? Can it please not be bradley ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post

Nonsense. What a pussy. Glad he's gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Bechhio can come to MLS. I'd expect as much out of him as Altidore... 10-12 goals maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Maybe Bechhio can come to MLS. I'd expect as much out of him as Altidore... 10-12 goals maybe.
    He'd be a much better bet, although he's struggled recently. Norwich picked that decent Leeds team apart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leeds are far from decent though. I didn't think we'd be this bad, but I was expecting bottom half. It really makes you think though.. players like Rudolph Austin would thrive in MLS but the salary cap would require a massive pay cut or an unjustified DP spot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am glad/thrilled that there was no allocation payment. I thought there would have to be, this represents significant arm twisting on TFC's behalf by Garber. This might be the most that the MLS office has ever done for TFC. That is a big deal

I see the handiwork of Leiweke here, and this makes me think he is staying. Getting out from under a questionable $18M contract by signing an even riskier $30M deal, with lots of razzle dazzle around what is actually going down, is pure TL. (I have lots to say about this, will do that elsewhere in a few days when the dust settles.)

I think Sunderland's willingness to take on Defoe without a subsidy is amazing, and nobody would think otherwise if it wasn't for Bez leaking (I assume it was him, since it sure looked like he stood behind that today) that we received $11M from Sunderland. Methinks Bez is developing a very serious truthfulness/boasting problem, one that is getting out of hand.

I
    am a bit bothered by Bradley's role. Bradley is now the GM (well co-GM for sure) of this team, and that model hasn't worked historically. How is having Lebron engineer the Love deal working out?

I like Jozy, but not at anywhere near this price. I said when we signed Defoe that the huge Defoe and Bradley contracts ran the risk of alienating the MLSE owners for years if it went wrong. Well, it went wrong (one of them for sure, the jury is out on Bradley) and we doubled down. There's nothing like the hair of the dog, I guess: we have treated a big hangover with a morning monster round of ludes and martinis.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-16-2015 at 04:49 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More info on the deal from Leiweke via Neil Davidson

http://www.mykawartha.com/sports-sto...or-toronto-fc/

Highlights...

On Altidore's contract:
    Altidore has a five-year deal worth less than the reported US$30 million, according to the MLSE boss. "That number not only it's not correct, it's not close."
    On the reported "Cash Considerations" of the swap deal:
    "The more goals, he scores, the better for us," he said. "We get some upside in this deal," he added when asked what that meant. "You'll see in the very near future some of the things we did as part of this deal."
    That explains why the Defoe-Altidore deal is being described as a swap "with cash considerations."
    On Michael Bradley reportedly restructuring part of his contract to help facilitate the deal:
    Asked whether Bradley restructured his contract to help pave the way for Altidore, Leiweke said: "I would say Michael went above and beyond the call of duty here." "He is a remarkable young man and I am in awe of how he handled himself these last two weeks. He is a class act."
    On Defoe's unhappiness, and rumours of people around him influencing things:
    Defoe told a different story than his advisers apparently. "It was always an awkward communication," Leiweke said. "Because if you talked to Jermain, he'd be like 'Well, I'm OK either way.' But if you talked to his agent and those around him, there was no doubt that somewhere in July he had a change of heart. And, as I said, I do not blame him.
    Last edited by gdg_9; 01-16-2015 at 04:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like KJ, but he didn't exactly make a compelling case as to why the lack of a transfer fee matters. I'm also not that convinced that Jozy will be linked forever with Defoe or anything like that. Defoe wasn't here for very long, became his own problem, and personally, I'm pretty happy with any decent, committed new blood coming here to replace that a-hole. If Jozy plays well, it will/should have nothing to do with Defoe, if he plays poorly, it will/should have nothing to do with Defoe.

By the way did anyone else hear the emcee introduce him as Jozy Altidor-AY? What a horrible presser. And thanks for showing up, Nigel.
    Last edited by BBR21; 01-16-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if this is a straight swap and not a sale does that mean we don,t get any mls funny money. This is about as clear as the Laba deal

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

lulz.. mobbed by reporters ? hardly, is my guess, but that put him off ? What's this business about him wanting to be treated like a rock star, then ?

Altidore, he's more of a battering ram type of forward, and they tend to do alright in this league.

But at the end of the day, it's just more 'meh'.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    So if this is a straight swap and not a sale does that mean we don,t get any mls funny money. This is about as clear as the Laba deal
    unless Garber really wanted Altidore here and willing to give up Defoe in spite of the overvaluation of Altidore in a straight swap to the point where he gave TFC garber bucks meant to represent the difference in valuation between Altidore and Defoe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    lulz.. mobbed by reporters ? hardly, is my guess, but that put him off ? What's this business about him wanting to be treated like a rock star, then ?

Altidore, he's more of a battering ram type of forward, and they tend to do alright in this league.

But at the end of the day, it's just more 'meh'.
    Yeah it's a pretty dreadful and slanted piece. Some combination of Defoe and the author manage to complain about Defoe getting mauled by the media while also complaining about TFC being the fourth or fifth priority on the Toronto sports landscape, which doesn't make any sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for some Sunderland input...http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/...cats-1-7055084
    "almost straight swap"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am glad/thrilled that there was no allocation payment. I thought there would have to be, this represents significant arm twisting on TFC's behalf by Garber. This might be the most that the MLS office has ever done for TFC. That is a big deal

I see the handiwork of Leiweke here, and this makes me think he is staying. Getting out from under a questionable $18M contract by signing an even riskier $30M deal, with lots of razzle dazzle around what is actually going down, is pure TL. (I have lots to say about this, will do that elsewhere in a few days when the dust settles.)
    I think Sunderland's willingness to take on Defoe without a subsidy is amazing, and nobody would think otherwise if it wasn't for Bez leaking (I assume it was him, since it sure looked like he stood behind that today) that we received $11M from Sunderland. Methinks Bez is developing a very serious truthfulness/boasting problem, one that is getting out of hand.

I
    am a bit bothered by Bradley's role. Bradley is now the GM (well co-GM for sure) of this team, and that model hasn't worked historically. How is having Lebron engineer the Love deal working out?

I like Jozy, but not at anywhere near this price. I said when we signed Defoe that the huge Defoe and Bradley contracts ran the risk of alienating the MLSE owners for years if it went wrong. Well, it went wrong (one of them for sure, the jury is out on Bradley) and we doubled down. There's nothing like the hair of the dog, I guess: we have treated a big hangover with a morning monster round of ludes and martinis.
    Looking forward to it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am curious as to what Altidore's actual salary is, and what the potential compensation received from Sunderland could be depending on his offensive production.

It's quite apparent that all of the pertinent figures that have been reported by various media outlets to this point have been based on speculation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some insight from Leiweke... As per Davidson. Lots of very interesting news in here.

http://www.mykawartha.com/sports-sto...or-toronto-fc/

Tim Leiweke has regrets.
    Jermain Defoe got homesick after less than year in North America and wanted out. Toronto FC failed to make the MLS playoffs as promised. Good people lost their jobs.
    That was not part of the plan for the big-thinking president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment.
    It meant, after some heavy lifting behind the scenes in the wake of Defoe, Leiweke has had to orchestrate yet another reboot of the MLS franchise.
    "We're trying to get it right and we're not done," he told The Canadian Press on Friday after Altidore was unveiled at the Air Canada Centre. "I believe in the next week or two, people will feel very very good about what our ownership has committed to here. It's pretty remarkable."
    Defoe, and the gymnastics Toronto had to do to get him here, are behind him. The 32-year-old striker is back in England with Sunderland.
    In his place is Jozy Altidore, a 25-year-old American striker looking to reclaim his glory after a bleak stint in England.
    Altidore is seen as major boost if for nothing else that he wants to be here — and is being paid a lot to do so.
    "We ended up with a guy who wants to be here and a guy who's very predictable," said Leiweke, essentially summing up the Defoe issue.
    Toronto has more moves to make, with possibly more big news to come in the form of a Grade-A attacking midfielder. But a lesson has been learned. Any new marquee addition will be a young talent committed to the cause.
    Leiweke sees that in star midfielder Michael Bradley and Altidore.
    In a franchise devoid of consistency, Leiweke says he sees some light at the end of the tunnel.
    "We have a chance now to build around these two guys. They're young, they're committed and they want to be here," he said. "And they like each other, they're best of friends. I think we're in a fortunate position."
    Leiweke says Altidore wouldn't be a TFC player had it not been for Bradley. The 27-year-old Bradley is also helping recruit the desired attacking midfielder.
    Asked whether Bradley restructured his contract to help pave the way for Altidore, Leiweke said: "I would say Michael went above and beyond the call of duty here."
    "He is a remarkable young man and I am in awe of how he handled himself these last two weeks. He is a class act."
    Altidore has a five-year deal worth less than the reported US$30 million, according to the MLSE boss. "That number not only it's not correct, it's not close."
    Speaking diplomatically about his last big-ticket purchase, Leiweke said "it's good to get Jermain settled."
    "We're happy for him back in the EPL (English Premier League)," he said. "It's what he wanted.
    "We understood he was homesick and we don't fault him for that. I think the only thing was the dance played as to was he really happy or was he not happy and if he wasn't happy then let's figure it out."
    Still Leiweke is not about to throw Defoe under that double-decker bus. The English striker collected 11 goals in his first 13 MLS games and Toronto never lost a game when he scored.
    But injuries and a desire to be elsewhere took their toll.
    "Look Jermain was what we thought — which is a difference-maker," said Leiweke. "He was a guy that would be just a pure gifted natural goal-scorer. And he was. And Jermain, by the way, was a delightful guy to be around. ... I think the only issue was the communication."
    Leiweke is grateful to Defoe in that Sunderland was not his first choice. But the striker knew it was the deal that did the most for Toronto, because of Altidore.
    "It was a good experiment. It didn't work out as well as we had hoped. We have nothing but good things and wishes for Jermain. And we move on."
    Defoe told a different story than his advisers apparently.
    "It was always an awkward communication," Leiweke said. "Because if you talked to Jermain, he'd be like 'Well, I'm OK either way.' But if you talked to his agent and those around him, there was no doubt that somewhere in July he had a change of heart. And, as I said, I do not blame him.
    "I think it worked out as well as it could."
    In fact, Leiweke is cheering Defoe on in Sunderland.
    "The more goals, he scores, the better for us," he said.
    "We get some upside in this deal," he added when asked what that meant. "You'll see in the very near future some of the things we did as part of this deal."
    That explains why the Defoe-Altidore deal is being described as a swap "with cash considerations."
    Leiweke credited MLS vice-president J. Todd Durbin for helping shepherd the deal.
    "We had to use our allocation," he said. "Other clubs had a shot at him (Altidore)."
    Follow @NeilMDavidson on Twitter
    By Neil Davidson, The Canadian Press

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time the Daily Fail has been accused of that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

geeze so much to question in that article....how much is altidore making, how much and who much can TFC make on Defoe's sale, who is the player they want for AM? Going to be a crazy few months

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    geeze so much to question in that article....how much is altidore making, how much and who much can TFC make on Defoe's sale, who is the player they want for AM? Going to be a crazy few months
    Well according to the article they're hoping to announce the signing in the next week or two. So we should know soon enough!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sergi View Post
    just joined up, i wish jozy all the luck in the world at your club, sadly he was never a premiership player, i have never seen a worse striker in that league & im 55 years old, hes a cracking guy & im sorry it didn't work out
    Hey, thanks for joining our boards! The money puts a lot of pressure on him though - he needs to score at the rate of a healthy Defoe, or 25+. And congratulations - Defoe is the best we have ever had. With him, S'derland will stay up.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-16-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Jozy ($6m) can't score 15 goals does that mean Gyasi Zardes (150k) is better than him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    If Jozy ($6m) can't score 15 goals does that mean Gyasi Zardes (150k) is better than him
    Or that Zardes played on a much better team, with Donovan and Keane setting him up (he has a lot of talent but he also misses the net as often as he hits it, and he makes dumb decisions sometimes.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Defoe came to Toronto on a 10 million dollar fee. He didn't light it up, was snubbed from the world cup, he was injured, and he's a year older. His value is probably about 7-8 million USD. Altidore was sold from AZ to Sunderland for 4 million. Despite his lack of success, he was still a force for U.S.A, a brand name in America and a good striker in his prime. He's worth about 5-6 million. We lose this deal by a couple million, but added a brand name for a year in Defoe and get a younger player. I don't consider it a massive loss. The only thing wrong about this is Altidore's 6 million dollar per year salary.

Bollocks. Defoe came here as a world class striker and is in huge demand in the Premier league for teams desperate for a few goals that will be the difference between relegation and staying up. His injury here did not appear to damage his value there. On the other hand, Altidore has no value there and only some here. Financially, we were fleeced. That said, I am kind of excited. It never felt quite right that we were winning because we bought the best scorer in the league. If Altidore recovers his touch, it's kind of different, we can cheer him on. And then win!
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-16-2015 at 09:52 PM.