View Poll Results: Is this the catalyst for change?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! We need dramatic changes both on and off the pitch!

46 46.00%
  • No! Let’s not panic! We just need a couple of players!

54 54.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is this the catalyst for change?

Back in the winter of 2000 Celtic were knocked out of the Scottish Cup by First division part-timers Inverness Caley Thistle 3-1 at Celtic Park. The headlines in Glasgow sang their praise…“Super Caley Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious”!

For Bhoybobby, Canadian_Bhoy and I, it was one of the darkest moments in recent Celtic history but that loss was the catalyst for a decade of domination in the SPL. The “Dream Team” of John Barnes and Kenny Dalglish were sacked and Celtic hired Martin O’Neill, who restored pride and trophies to Parkhead.

Was Tuesday nights loss a blessing in disguise? Is this the catalyst for change?
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we need a DP. hahaha bottom line, we cant finish, doesnt matter what coach you have, if you cant finish, we could have arsene wneger as a manager and it wouldnt matter...maybe our tactics would be a bit better, which may result in a few more goals, but bottom line is we're missing the quality

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the positive slant to this thread.

There will be positives coming, but in what shape? That's hard to say.
    Probably a few players who can score will be enough of a change,
    just because I don't see anything really big in the near future (like real grass)
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a catalyst for change when more than a couple hundred supporters care, it may be overly bleak of me, but I don't think enough people care to push for change. And management almost certainly doesn't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since MJ and JC are so content on gettin us a european striker, they should prob go out there and get him pretty damn soon.... MLSE can spend the dp money, do it, do it now!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

no....why would you make major changes to a team that has only really played about 15 games together and a coach who has only been around for a half season and a technical director who's only been in the position for about the same amount of time?

I agree they've been playing like shit as of late, but you have to look at the whole picture here. This isn't something that has plagued this team for years on end. This is still a new team, who are only now solidifying the team structure and even then, most of the guys have been away on Internation leave or injury so they really haven't had that much time to gel together.

I don't think we should be calling for heads until at least late August early September when we know were we actually stand in terms of playoffs.

We are 1 win out of 3rd place. and if the season ended today, wouldn't we be in the playoffs??? is it top 4 or top 6 team???

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    "Super Caley Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious”!
    I just have to say that's pure genius.

But on topic, I hope you're right. I don't see anything major happening suddenly, though. It will be small steps, one at a time, if anything.
    Support Local Football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A buddy of mine has a great classification system for sports players:

1. Useless
    2. Warm Body
    3. Shows up and Plays to the bitter end

we have some #2s, very few #3s, and whole lot of #1s

We need some more #3s.
    Last edited by Jimmy The Saint; 07-23-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: ooops!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ had to fix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ yeah I fixed it - sorry. Still pissed off from yesterday.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy The Saint View Post
    A buddy of mine has a great classification system for sports players:

1. Useless
    2. Warm Body
    3. Shows up and Plays to the bitter end

we have some #2s, very few #3s, and whole lot of #1s

We need some more #3s.
    I think you have that backwards, we definitely do NOT need more #1s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    no....why would you make major changes to a team that has only really played about 15 games together and a coach who has only been around for a half season and a technical director who's only been in the position for about the same amount of time?

I agree they've been playing like shit as of late, but you have to look at the whole picture here. This isn't something that has plagued this team for years on end. This is still a new team, who are only now solidifying the team structure and even then, most of the guys have been away on Internation leave or injury so they really haven't had that much time to gel together.

I don't think we should be calling for heads until at least late August early September when we know were we actually stand in terms of playoffs.

We are 1 win out of 3rd place. and if the season ended today, wouldn't we be in the playoffs??? is it top 4 or top 6 team???

Top 4 in each division plus the nexte 2 teams with most points regardless division. So yes we would be in today.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Is the cup half empty or half full?

We are one point from falling out of a playoff position. The 5 teams behind us are a win away from leap frogging us and dropping us to second from the bottom.

There are two questions here:

Is Mo the man to move this club forward or is it time to head in another direction?
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the winter of 2000 Celtic were knocked out of the Scottish Cup by First division part-timers Inverness Caley Thistle 3-1 at Celtic Park. The headlines in Glasgow sang their praise…“Super Caley Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious”!

For Bhoybobby, Canadian_Bhoy and I, it was one of the darkest moments in recent Celtic history but that loss was the catalyst for a decade of domination in the SPL. The “Dream Team” of John Barnes and Kenny Dalglish were sacked and Celtic hired Martin O’Neill, who restored pride and trophies to Parkhead.

Was Tuesday nights loss a blessing in disguise? Is this the catalyst for change?
    ahhhh....i remember it well! enjoyed the hell out of it and if i have to be honest, was very worried for Rangers when o'neill was signed by you lot...hate the little bugger but knew what he was capable of and he showed it by winning trophies.....as much as last night hurt i cant see bailing on this team.....gotta stay positive

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched Carvers interview, and let me say hes really calling out either Mo or upper management. I feel for the guy we're playing some good football, but how is a 16 year old supposed to get the job done. It's asking way too much.. Hopefully something changes because the city of Toronto is going to have to accept losing to Quebec for yet another year, cause lord knows our winter team isn't going to do shit........

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is the cup half empty or half full?

We are one point from falling out of a playoff position. The 5 teams behind us are a win away from leap frogging us and dropping us to second from the bottom.

There are two questions here:

Is Mo the man to move this club forward or is it time to head in another direction?
    I think as supporters, the cup should still be half full for us - we're not out of contention. We're still in this.

As for the question, is mo the man? well. Again, it's too early to start chopping heads IMO. It's not too late to sign a striker.
    It sounds like people are already throwing in the towel by saying "axe this guy, axe that guy". If we start axing people now, doesn't that mean we're ready to start over again because we've failed in this attempt?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge_Red View Post
    Just watched Carvers interview, and let me say hes really calling out either Mo or upper management.
    When I saw it that's exactly what I thought!
    Last edited by Toronto_Bhoy; 07-23-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The lose to Montreal was devestating, however, was it skill that killed us or was it passion? Was it formation that hurt us or was it the lack of quality the players showed last night - this whole tourny.

We controlled the ball for 80% of the game, we just couldn't finish. ya they scored 1 goal against us, but really...how many games will a team win that can only score 1 goal a game? And is this the Defense fault they let in 1 goal, or is it the forwards fault for turning over the ball every chance they get?

We need a striker. We tried to get huckerby and he said no, we tried to get gomes and he said no, we tried to get others and they were too high priced. What should Mo do??? should he just sign a striker at all costs?? is Sukar worth 10M a year? should we just give whomever whatever money they want and hope they come through??

Strikers are a dime a dozen and the good ones already have teams that have the $$$ to hold on to them; The ones that are available and are good are either over-aged or not playing well right now. Do we want that? really do we want another Cunningham?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1)Start with FIRING CARVER
    2) Bring in a striker

Note: I said fire Carver before you bring in a striker. IF you bring in the striker first, Carver will probaly sit him on the bench or do something to piss him off or ruin his confidence.

We can't have Carver making anymore personnel/ player decisons

If you want him to maintain a role on the team let him take care of the post game buffet table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in the midle of this they have to shape up, but I also think that we need some stability for proper growth an imprvment.
    Last edited by trane; 07-23-2008 at 02:27 PM.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched Carvers interview, and let me say hes really calling out either Mo or upper management.
    http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

that team is oozing frustration... I wonder how some of the players are feeling about each other...
    Do they bite their tongue or do they give shit to those that are slacking on the pitch?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya know I just watched the interview for the second time.

Does anyone get the impression Carver is setting an ultimatum for Mo? The guys you've supplied me are shite…get me some players of quality or I'm offski? He is clearly not happy with the personnel he has.

Is he asking Mo, "How did this guy score 99 goals"? "This guy's going to the Olympics"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweeping change of personnel isn't needed, but sweeping change of attitude is. I've said it in several threads, but put any striker you want out there, and it won't change the fact that our boys play without a shred of urgency. If they are waiting for a striker before they give it their all, then fuck 'em, that's not how professional sport should work.
    I know that a DP striker would buoy spirits and probably give everyone a good kick, but it's really sad to me that that's what is needed to make them put in a 90 minute effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched Carvers interview, and let me say hes really calling out either Mo or upper management. I feel for the guy we're playing some good football, but how is a 16 year old supposed to get the job done. It's asking way too much.. Hopefully something changes because the city of Toronto is going to have to accept losing to Quebec for yet another year, cause lord knows our winter team isn't going to do shit........

That was my thought as well - he was calling out Mo and the suits to get something done already.

He has "some" quality players, but they are quality in the position they play in, and the majority of them are not pure goal scores.

Qualified: NONE of them are pure goal scorers.

Damn I miss Danny D.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team is much better than last year's, and it will continue to improve. TFC did not lose to monteal, in fact, we took 4 out of 6 points from them. The game against Vancouver, where they loafed in the last 10 minutes cost us the trophy, more than what happened last night. Adding one or two proven forwards will make the team much better, and the supporters will be able to sleep again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I genuinely believe that management is just a disappointed as we are and wants to make a positive impact. Given that the team has only been around for 18 months I am not sure that it is time to pull the parachute yet, but yes changes are needed. I still feel that one of the more important changes will be a new playing surface. It doesn't speak well to the viability of a franchise if you are constantly having trouble drawing in talented people.

Take away the fact that we play on a plastic pitch... what are other major factors that would prevent players from playing here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night was a tale of two teams, the first team was when Cunningham was not on the field, it looked like a team that was hungry for a win.

Then Carver put out Cunny, enter the second team, they looked like a frustrated bunch, who didn't want to make this guy look good.

Perhaps there is a "team" protest on the field by the players, I hope not..but at times it sure looks like it....

Bench him or release him just get rid of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noochie View Post
    Take away the fact that we play on a plastic pitch... what are other major factors that would prevent players from playing here?
    Hmmm ... As per Huckerby Sun and a Beach Bum lifestyle? Good question though.

I also thought that the plastic pitch is a nuisance as it might put us at a disadvantage when adjusting to playing on real grass during away games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post

Then Carver put out Cunny, enter the second team, they looked like a frustrated bunch, who didn't want to make this guy look good.

Perhaps there is a "team" protest on the field by the players, I hope not..but at times it sure looks like it....
    Mate,

They put the ball to his feet six yards in front of an uncontested goal.

Cunningham doesn't need a concerted effort from the players to look bad, he does fine by himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't need a DP, we just need 2 strikers that can put the ball in the back of the net. Doesn't need to be high priced does he?