Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you include Chapman, I think we had an impressive haul of prospects today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we did good today in draft? I admit I don't know much about these kids and NCAA soccer in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    So we did good today in draft? I admit I don't know much about these kids and NCAA soccer in general.
    We picked up a keeper and a central midfielder with the potential to be quality starters in this league, two central defenders with potential to be on the first team roster in the foreseeable future, and an attacking player that is a wildcard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rivas is one of the steals of the draft, a few people have suggested to me; strong, fast, beats guys on the dribble, good shot, good at setting up other players. Monster athlete type, even though he's not that big, and could have become a pro in four different sports but pursued footie to get an education and because he's been a fan since childhood.

Here's his highlight reel, playing at CSUN (Cal State Northridge)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8y84pL6w_s

Plus, he's a left-footer.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-15-2015 at 05:22 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    We didn't screw up. All the rest is a crap shoot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If one of the CBs makes a Hagglund type impact this year I'll be happy. Dunno about the goalie though. I guess it doesn't hurt to have a highly regarded prospect. Hopefully this isn't the end for Q.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    If one of the CBs makes a Hagglund type impact this year I'll be happy. Dunno about the goalie though. I guess it doesn't hurt to have a highly regarded prospect. Hopefully this isn't the end for Q.
    Bono is a blue chip prospect. even if he doesn't pan out, he's a tradeable asset
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really hope bono gets a proper opportunity with us this season, if he pans out then we can get rid of Bendik and gain valuable cap space for an outfield player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC just got the USL Pro team some starters, really hoping at least one of them is in the 18 for TFC in Vancouver in Game 1.
    They all look promising.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Could be a wake up call for Q

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    I was told a year ago they're still high on him, so we'll see I guess. I'd expect Bono to stay with Toronto and Quillan to go down to USL, however; unless they trade him, Bono is a blue-chip prospect with a higher ceiling than Bendik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never seen BONO play....i wonder if he gives BENDIK a run for his money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    never seen BONO play....i wonder if he gives BENDIK a run for his money
    highlights remind me of hugo lloris' style

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post

Wake up from what though? He had a great season last year, with a number of POMs and Team of the Week inclusions. I wouldn't argue against picking Bono up ... but it'd really suck if we just discarded Q after all his good work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tor...4834--sow.html

Not sure if this has already been posted but pretty good insights into the drafting strategy. Turns out Seattle were also interested in Simonim and might have traded up to get him; thus, TFC selected him instead of trading down, which they considered. It was also explained that Simonim was injured for much of last season and so, most teams wouldn't have scouted him. I think it bodes well that a team that would know him (Seattle) also wanted him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tor...4834--sow.html

Not sure if this has already been posted but pretty good insights into the drafting strategy. Turns out Seattle were also interested in Simonim and might have traded up to get him; thus, TFC selected him instead of trading down, which they considered. It was also explained that Simonim was injured for much of last season and so, most teams wouldn't have scouted him. I think it bodes well that a team that would know him (Seattle) also wanted him.
    He was in the PDL (u23 league) team of the week several times last year for Seattle. This doesn't strike me as crazy at all. We get potentially two good central defenders, a winger who has speed and a left foot, Chapman who was EPL scouted, and a blue-chip keeper prospect.

Seems like a good draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this kid already...

Alexander Bono@Alex25Bono 5h5 hours ago
    Couldn't be happier.. So honored to be part of TFC a club moving in the right direction, can't wait to get started! #TFC #eh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He was in the PDL (u23 league) team of the week several times last year for Seattle. This doesn't strike me as crazy at all. We get potentially two good central defenders, a winger who has speed and a left foot, Chapman who was EPL scouted, and a blue-chip keeper prospect.

Seems like a good draft.
    I thought Charpie was a RB? I see him as cover for Bloom.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alex "I've Got You Babe" Bone !!

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the sounds of Bez's pre-draft comments on Bono (just how many of those did they have to make?), Konopka is on his way out and Bono will be the backup to Bendik. They see him pushing Bendik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    I thought Charpie was a RB? I see him as cover for Bloom.
    Forgot him! Good RB prospect, too.

Left footer is Rivas. He lists as a forward but he's a winger in every video I've seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As it turns out, Simonin's selection was down to a bit of under the radar scouting by Toronto GM Tim Bezbatchenko. The club held a private combine in conjunction with the Seattle Sounders in Las Vegas earlier this month, and it was there that Simonin really impressed. He's a left-footed center back who Bezbatchenko feels is really good with the ball, and his positioning.
    "It's the result of us doing our homework," said Bezbatchenko. "We had a feeling someone picking right after us might take him. He's just one of those players who fills a need and if you feel he's one of the best at the position, you take him."
    TFC had continued problems at the back last season, but these moves, along with the expected signing of Poland international center back Damien, have seen Toronto at least attempt to resolve those problems.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-s...hted-mls-draft

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's Bendik who should worry more than Roberts.

Where does Bendik rank, really, amongst MLS keepers. 15th?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

He's a decent keeper; but every third or fourth game he has one he should've kept out. He's surprisingly adroit for his build.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    As it turns out, Simonin's selection was down to a bit of under the radar scouting by Toronto GM Tim Bezbatchenko. The club held a private combine in conjunction with the Seattle Sounders in Las Vegas earlier this month, and it was there that Simonin really impressed. He's a left-footed center back who Bezbatchenko feels is really good with the ball, and his positioning.
    "It's the result of us doing our homework," said Bezbatchenko. "We had a feeling someone picking right after us might take him. He's just one of those players who fills a need and if you feel he's one of the best at the position, you take him."
    TFC had continued problems at the back last season, but these moves, along with the expected signing of Poland international center back Damien, have seen Toronto at least attempt to resolve those problems.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-s...hted-mls-draft
    We had all these draft assets in 2009 and 2012, and the coverage was all the same then too, same day congratulations on how amazing everyone involved was. Of course in hindsight those were both disasters.

Although I don't think in those cases it was Mo or Payne blowing their own horn quite the way Bez is here. He is really starting to bug me with this stuff. Just let the facts speak.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had all these draft assets in 2009 and 2012, and the coverage was all the same then too, same day congratulations on how amazing everyone involved was. Of course in hindsight those were both disasters.

Although I don't think in those cases it was Mo or Payne blowing their own horn quite the way Bez is here. He is really starting to bug me with this stuff. Just let the facts speak.
    We actually unearthed a few gems in both those drafts, but previous management regimes lacked the foresight to hold on to them. Cronin, Frei, Plata, and Silva come to mind...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as Toronto fans we need to stop falling in love with avg players, bendik is an avg MLS goalie. I honestly want to see this kid bono push him every single day once the season starts. I saw Bendik make way too many mistakes last year, so maybe someone pushing him for the starter spot will light a fire in his ***

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great shot stopper, decent presence in the box, communication with back line seems a bit off at times, couldn't hit a lake from the end of the pier with his passing accuracy. Being the analytics types they claim to be that has to be on their radar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You get the feeling the Konopka was just happy to be on the bench, he is very much a career backup. We remember how Frei came in a pushed Greg Sutton.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    as Toronto fans we need to stop falling in love with avg players, bendik is an avg MLS goalie. I honestly want to see this kid bono push him every single day once the season starts. I saw Bendik make way too many mistakes last year, so maybe someone pushing him for the starter spot will light a fire in his ***
    the odds of 20 yr old GK pushing Bendik this season... I dunno. a big if. a rookie will make his share of mistakes.

in a salary cap system, GK is a position where you 'make do'. Bendik is an avg MLS GK, and an avg GK is good enough to get you to MLS Cup finals. LA won one with Josh Saunders. NE went to MLS Cup final with Bobby Shuttleworth, who I think is actually worse than Bendik. And Seattle won the Supporter's Shield with Stefan Frei who let in 55 goals against.

Bendik may not be one of the best in MLS, but he's good enough. TFC's biggest problem isn't Bendik.

Though I did hear former German international Timo Hildebrand is available...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano