Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes! I like this one. We've picked Skylar Thomas.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now for our Urruti replacement...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus we have a USL pro squad to think about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thomas isn't a bad pick; interesting about Simonin. They must really have scouted him hard. He's a coach part-time, too, so maybe it was partly a mentality thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry's replacement.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and TFC brings back Skylar Thomas.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only question is was there any indication this kid would have gone at 11 or in the second or third round? I'm not sure why we'd use #9 on him if nobody and their dog had ever heard of him until today.

Edit: 2 CBs I'm cool with that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this pick.....good canadian boy
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow,
    Skylar Thomas
    6'3
    from pickering.
    http://www.cuse.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...9&path=msoccer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's one unenthusiastic "go Toronto!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like the size of Thomas. Don't know much else

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    That's one unenthusiastic "go Toronto!"
    Yeah, he copped a lot of 'tude. Never a good sign. Maybe he's pissed he went after the unknown French guy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TFC are thinking about their USL pro team with that pick.
    That's fine. If he can develop like Henry did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did pretty well with my predictions so far, 2 out of 3!

Though Alashe is off the board, so Okuano left to pick.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    Like the size of Thomas. Don't know much else
    I know a bit about his kid through a connection.

Big kid, with a brain, really nice. Comfortable on the ball at a younger age. Wheels. USL Pro minutes this season.

Trivia - both his parents are cops.

Edit: Don't put anything into that speech. He and his family will be VERY happy to see him play locally, even at USL Pro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we picked 1 sure-fire star in Bono, an unknown but apparently intelligent defender in Simonin, and 1 decent hometown defender. Not too upset, considering we don't really need any attacking players right now, and midfielders that can control the run of play at the MLS level are almost non-existent in the draft.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    So we picked 1 sure-fire star in Bono, an unknown but apparently intelligent defender in Simonin, and 1 decent hometown defender. Not too upset, considering we don't really need any attacking players right now, and midfielders that can control the run of play at the MLS level are almost non-existent in the draft.
    I agree with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    Yep. Playing the cards we're dealt so to speak.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't it a bit worrying that some of these so called experts have "never heard of Simonin"?! Either the TFC scouts are amazing, or completely off their mind!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Isn't it a bit worrying that some of these so called experts have "never heard of Simonin"?! Either the TFC scouts are amazing, or completely off their mind!
    couple of other teams have made some unforseen picks. we'll see how Simonin pans out
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was an all-american in 2012-13, and has done well at multiple levels. I wonder what the knock is; he played in a lesser program and against less talent, so perhaps that's why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's such a crap shoot I don't think it's that big a worry. If we could have gotten him in the second round though, that seems like a waste of a high pick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simonin played for Sounders U23 PDL during the offseason:

TACOMA, Wash. – The Sounders U-23 have signed two defenders from North Carolina-based Universities for the 2014 Premier Development League season. Clement Simonin, 22, is a French center back who anchored North Carolina State through the grueling Atlantic Coast Conference. Austin Dunker, 21, is an outside back from one of the stingiest defenses in college soccer, Elon University.
    Clement Simonin grew up playing for his home-town club, FC Lorient, in France. At 20 years of age, he changed paths to pursue an education but continued to play soccer at Division II Lander University. Following two All-American years, he transferred to North Carolina State.
    Regarding his opportunity with the Sounders U-23, Simonin said, “Playing for the Sounders U23 will be a really good occasion to come back in a professional club and show what I'm able to bring to a new team with a lot of exposure on the professional level. I'm conscious that having a great summer here on and off the field will bring me new opportunities. This is mainly why I thought the club could be a great fit for me and my expectations.”
    Sounders U-23 Head Coach, Darren Sawatzky, said, “The Sounders U23 team is a proving ground for future professional players. Clement comes with a good pedigree and we look forward to having him at the back to lead our group.”
    Simonin scored four goals and added three assists, despite playing center back last year for NC State, who narrowly missed out on an NCAA Tournament bid despite beating #9 North Carolina in their final regular season match.
    Austin Dunker is a three-year starter at Elon University. With six shutouts on the season, and three versus ranked opponents, the left back’s Elon University Phoenix made it to the 2nd Round of the NCAA Tournament before falling to UCLA.
    Dunker said what he looks forward to most about playing for the Sounders U-23 this summer is, “Being in a competitive environment and being pushed every day, as well as experiencing the professionalism the Sounders are known for.”
    Dunker led the Phoenix with 2,192 minutes from 23 starts last season. He contributed on the offensive end with four assists.
    Darren Sawatzky said, “Austin Dunker represents the prototypical attacking left back. He will play a good role in our attack this summer.”
    Both defenders are expected to join the team in early May, in time for the PDL season kick off on May 16.
    Season Tickets for the 2014 Sounders U-23 season are on sale on SoundersU23.com for only $60. The 2014 Season Ticket Flex Pack eliminates the risk of missing games. Instead of one ticket specifically associated with each match, with the Sounders U-23 Flex Pack, fans will receive eight tickets, and each of those tickets will be accepted at any match during the 2014 season. It's the ultimate deal in flexibility.
    Sounders FC U-23
    The Sounders FC U-23 (est.2012) competes in the United Soccer League’s Premier Development League (PDL). The Sounders FC U-23 are independently operated from the Seattle Sounders FC, under the ownership of Lane Smith and Cliff McElroy, with minority owner, Mike Jennings. The club is officially operated with a marketing, branding, and naming affiliation contract with the Seattle Sounders FC. The Sounders FC U-23 franchise has developed more than 15 professional players since the club’s establishment in 2012.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    It's such a crap shoot I don't think it's that big a worry. If we could have gotten him in the second round though, that seems like a waste of a high pick.
    They might have known other coaches like him high first round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He was an all-american in 2012-13, and has done well at multiple levels. I wonder what the knock is; he played in a lesser program and against less talent, so perhaps that's why.
    I just checked their season - NC State played against Louisville, Syracuse, UNC, Wake Forest, Coastal Carolina … very good teams. But they have him playing only 7 games this season. Where would we have seen him then if he was hardly playing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They might have known other coaches like him high first round.
    Yeah.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbus and Colorado just did the Axel Sjolberg dance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    I just checked their season - NC State played against Louisville, Syracuse, UNC, Wake Forest, Coastal Carolina … very good teams. But they have him playing only 7 games this season. Where would we have seen him then if he was hardly playing?
    He played PDL with Seattle for most of 2014.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skylar Thomas - Pickering represent!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what Columbus just got from Colorado for that trade...