Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Without having any opinion of Endoh .... going off the board to pick a guy who suddenly popped up a few days ago at the combine isn't filling me with confidence in our scouting
    Ives had Endoh as a second round pick in his mock draft, so it's not that far of a stretch. And last year Simonin was expected to go around that point in the draft as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Ives had Endoh as a second round pick in his mock draft, so it's not that far of a stretch. And last year Simonin was expected to go around that point in the draft as well.
    Also don't forget that we didn't have another pick for ages, so if we really wanted him we were gonna have to take him then. He would have been gone by the 57th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is they had Layera, Rosenberry ahead of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't put much stock in Ives... The Texas based guy who follows the NCAA draft class is probably better ( think it's top drawer soccer by can't say 100%).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A top 10 pick compared to the 2nd round in an MLS draft is a pretty big stretch. Your chances of finding a useful player in the 2nd round plummet.

Now that being said, Vanney says they've been scouting Maryland all year and had their eye on him. It sounds like his combine performance solidified their decision to go with him rather than it being the main factor. He says in this video Endoh was "arguably" the top player in the draft for them and "we thought the draft would go this way so nothing changed for us". Basically, after the clear top 5-6 guys were gone, there isn't a whole lot separating the rest of the pack and if this is the guy they think is best out of those who were remaining, I'm not going to be too upset we burned a higher pick on him. I suppose they could have traded down to get a little something extra, but after his combine performance it probably wasn't worth the risk just in case another team had their eye on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    A top 10 pick compared to the 2nd round in an MLS draft is a pretty big stretch. Your chances of finding a useful player in the 2nd round plummet.

Now that being said, Vanney says they've been scouting Maryland all year and had their eye on him. It sounds like his combine performance solidified their decision to go with him rather than it being the main factor. He says in this video Endoh was "arguably" the top player in the draft for them and "we thought the draft would go this way so nothing changed for us". Basically, after the clear top 5-6 guys were gone, there isn't a whole lot separating the rest of the pack and if this is the guy they think is best out of those who were remaining, I'm not going to be too upset we burned a higher pick on him. I suppose they could have traded down to get a little something extra, but after his combine performance it probably wasn't worth the risk just in case another team had their eye on him.
    I understand TFC took part in a couple of pre-combine showcase camps, so they might have known more from that.

My take? He's Japanese, and the commitment of Japanese athletes to me very much mirrors what you see from Americans; he was the combine's standout player, by pretty much all accounts; he has a 90-min tank and can beat a couple of guys straight up on the ball, as well as good speed. He can also cross.

I think he has Plata-level potential, at least, which is pretty damn good in this league. What did Short McFuckpants get for Plata again? I don't remember. Didn't he just flee?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I understand TFC took part in a couple of pre-combine showcase camps, so they might have known more from that.

My take? He's Japanese, and the commitment of Japanese athletes to me very much mirrors what you see from Americans; he was the combine's standout player, by pretty much all accounts; he has a 90-min tank and can beat a couple of guys straight up on the ball, as well as good speed. He can also cross.

I think he has Plata-level potential, at least, which is pretty damn good in this league. What did Short McFuckpants get for Plata again? I don't remember. Didn't he just flee?
    A shitty second round pick.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    A shitty second round pick.
    I believe we used it on Edwin Rivas.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I maintain that that man set back the club years. By the end of 2012, we sat with a bunch of overpaid League One talent on guaranteed contracts with shitty domestics with no trade value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I maintain that that man set back the club years. By the end of 2012, we sat with a bunch of overpaid League One talent on guaranteed contracts with shitty domestics with no trade value.
    Him and others. But Mariner was a chief architect, to me; he took an adviser role so that he could stab winters in the back, took his job, then fucked the dog, while going ahead with dubious signings like Freddy Hall. That should prompt a FIFA investigation at some point, as he wasn't qualified to play in the CSL. His positioning on free kicks was so poor, and his wall setup, he would've been scolded by a high school coach over here.

Bigger than the setback though was that he cost MLSE bucketloads of money, because the resultant rebound position has been to spend more than anyone else, instead of taking Vancouver's balanced approach of signing promising south americans, cheap foreigners and good north americans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I believe we used it on Edwin Rivas.
    Is he still with TFC II? He was doing pretty well at one point last season but I lost track.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget he traded away our 2014 1st rounder (ended up being 3rd overall) for Eric fucking Hassli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is he still with TFC II? He was doing pretty well at one point last season but I lost track.
    His option was declined in December so he's gone.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was released by the Reds on December 9th when they declined his option.

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/01...action-tracker

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    He was released by the Reds on December 9th when they declined his option.

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/01...action-tracker
    A shame. Ah well, if you can't make a mark at USL, you ain't gonna make the big club, I guess. I bet they loan Hamilton down this year and basically decide that if he doesn't hit fifteen, he's out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jordan Hamilton Verified account ‏@jayhams

Making major changes to the life I'm living. I got no choice, I got to prove I made the right decision.

Looks like someone has had that kind of conversation with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting watching Vanney's interview yesterday. Said that he was their second highest rated player based on their scouting going into the draft. To me it makes it more believable that he's not making shit up that he doesn't make the claim that he was their highest rated player

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll enjoy next Tues the 19th even more. I love looking at all the swaps through the years to get to these players.

One from yesterday is Seattles Tony Alfaro. We gave up Creavalle to get the pick and then took Zavelleta. See how many starts Alfaro gets this year..

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I wonder what the conditions are for the 2nd round next year that we gave up for Will Johnson?( Not that I'd ever complain)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Also I wonder what the conditions are for the 2nd round next year that we gave up for Will Johnson?( Not that I'd ever complain)
    I think its based on the number of times we sing his name this season... i would bet on the condition being met.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    I think its based on the number of times we sing his name this season... i would bet on the condition being met.
    Hahaha it's an interesting case since usually it's games played or minutes played so there's a tendency to put more pressure on seeing results but we have the added point of time off for the national squad as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Jordan Hamilton Verified account ‏@jayhams

Making major changes to the life I'm living. I got no choice, I got to prove I made the right decision.

Looks like someone has had that kind of conversation with him.
    It's Drake lyrics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    It's Drake lyrics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I copied and pasted the tweet and googled it cos I had a hunch it was rap lyrics as that's something one of them young'ins would do

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet every time an MLSE player quotes Drake, MLSE gets 10 minutes of Drake's time to do schmoozing on behalf of the corp.

Hamilton just ensuring he gets a few minutes with the bespectacled one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re where TFC "had" Endoh rated - god almighty.

Is there anything more pointless than listening to sports execs exult in their own genius the day after the draft?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    It's Drake lyrics
    He got a gig on Degrassi, CONGRATS Jordan!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there anything more pointless than listening to sports execs exult in their own genius the day after the draft?
    Huh? I watched it again and that makes no sense.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 01-15-2016 at 04:42 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had about 6 talking points about Endoh that made sense. But, yes, they were talking points. And, that's what coaches do these days.

FWIW, Vanney didn't talk about the players drafted last year like this. Those were all guys for the future. I think he sees Endoh as a better right wing version of Lovitz. Lets see how the kid does against guys with more power, speed and experience.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh? I watched it again and that makes no sense.
    This isn't specific to Vanney and that interview, but i am truly tired of a form of reporting that puts the microphone in front of the exec of any team and just has him say that ____, the guy they got, wow, he is a guy they had rated much higher.

Mo did it every year, there was a cult on here fed by Beirne of celebrating the endless genius of Mo in running the draft. This reached a crescendo the year he took O'Brien and Cronin and didn't take Gonzalez. Same "genius" thing happened when Payne traded down for Bekker et al, and passed on Farrell.

All teams do it. Regardless of who does it.... it's just endlessly dumb.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-15-2016 at 08:00 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”