Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    I don't know if it's just me, but I don't feel the same sort of hype/excitement for the draft as I used to. Like none whatsoever this year.

Gets a big "meh" from me.
    Are you factoring in how important the draft selections are for our team at present vs back when we had many high picks consistently because of our struggling status? Not to mention trade hungry managers of the past...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if it's just me, but I don't feel the same sort of hype/excitement for the draft as I used to. Like none whatsoever this year.

It's not like we've built this team from draft picks. The most we've ever done with one is Stephen Frei and we discarded him like a used tissue. MLS draft is pretty much trying to find diamonds in the rough as opposed to say the NHL draft where you get the world's best lining up to get in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can appreciate their penchant for thinking differently, but to be frank we've seen low yields from their drafting this far. Other teams are taking game ready players while we've mostly stacked away guys who have more upside but need to develop.

Time will tell I guess. With the exception of a few areas of the field, playing time is looking like a challenge for any new players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) the quality of MLS has increased relative to NCAA
    2) TFC doesn't have a high draft pick, and only has one in the first two rounds
    3) We don't need draft picks to fill out the roster like we have in years past where we go into training camp with less than 10 players signed.

The thing is if anyone was expecting TFC to pick up a player who would step into a position of need and be above average, then they'll be disappointed. But if you look at the draft as a chance to pick up a top prospect that's 1-2 years away from stepping into the XI, then you would say we made a solid pick. I feel like you can pick up some talented players in the draft a bit later on if you don't look at it through the glasses of who's most built to the MLS game right now, and instead pick players with qualities that can be developed in the USL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Are you factoring in how important the draft selections are for our team at present vs back when we had many high picks consistently because of our struggling status? Not to mention trade hungry managers of the past...
    Just a question, why was the 2015 and 2016 draft merged together, if you look at page 9 there is almost a year jump between the last 2015 post and what would have been the first of the 2016 thread. Just curious with a smile ( :

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Isn't Paolo Nagamura half Japanese?
    Oh wait, you're right. so I guess 6th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I can appreciate their penchant for thinking differently, but to be frank we've seen low yields from their drafting this far. Other teams are taking game ready players while we've mostly stacked away guys who have more upside but need to develop.

Time will tell I guess. With the exception of a few areas of the field, playing time is looking like a challenge for any new players.
    Given the sample size of one draft and season before this, who do you think would have made a bigger impact that we could have drafted last year? Given that we don't have massive holes in the roster and a need for game ready draft picks, I think it makes a lot of sense to pick guys with more upside but need time to develop. Now if there were a game ready destroyer DM who can read the game well and distribute available at #9, then it would have made a lot of sense to take him, but otherwise it makes more sense to add to the prospect pool.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Given the sample size of one draft and season before this, who do you think would have made a bigger impact that we could have drafted last year? Given that we don't have massive holes in the roster and a need for game ready draft picks, I think it makes a lot of sense to pick guys with more upside but need time to develop. Now if there were a game ready destroyer DM who can read the game well and distribute available at #9, then it would have made a lot of sense to take him, but otherwise it makes more sense to add to the prospect pool.
    I'm a little surprised that TFC didn't take Julian Buescher as GA if they want to groom someone to takeover Cheyrou as regista. Endoh also eats an int spot, no?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    HT: 5' 7" WT: 141
    Hometown: Tokyo, Japan

Um, he was born 9 days ago? Did MLS drop the rule that a player must be weaned before they can be drafted?
    Looks like a young Nguyen. Very similar style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'm a little surprised that TFC didn't take Julian Buescher as GA if they want to groom someone to takeover Cheyrou as regista. Endoh also eats an int spot, no?
    Yeah, I was expecting them to take him too. But that's just basing it on the scouting report that he's a CM who can move the ball around really well. But that's about all I know about him, and maybe he doesn't have the defensive tools or workrate to play at the base of midfield? If he doesn't have the tools to be the DM, then becomes CM depth in a squad that's stacked with CMs. The report is that he was the best passer in the combine, but when it comes to CMs who can pass well, we already have Bradley and Johnson, with Osorio and Delgado behind them, plus Warner isn't too shabby either. What none of our midfielders really have though is creativity to play AM or on the wing. If Endoh can play AM, then that adds depth to a position where we're lacking it, vs CM where we have lots of it.

As for Endoh taking up an international spot, I wouldn't be too worried. We only have 5 Internationals right now anyways, and given that he's spent the last 4 years in the US, I can't imagine he'll use an international spot for too much longer, if he doesn't already have a US green card.

Another factor is that since Buescher is a GA, they would have to add him to the roster right away, and that would be the last roster spot. With Endoh not having a contract yet, they have some flexibility to let players fight for a roster spot in training camp, and can sign him to a USL contract if they think that's what's best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I like Will Johnson going forward more - in his recent CMNT games he took a fairly defensive posture covering for Atiba who went forward.

Maybe that's an option should Cheyrou not be able to cover the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm kinda intrigued by Endoh. Wonder why he chose to stay in the US rather than try to go pro in Japan?

Even if he's as creative and technical as advertised, I'd like to see him on TFC2 for a bit to see how it goes.

But a product of an elite Japanese academy? Yes please. I'm getting a Platita just thinking about it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, the thread title doesn't really work anymore as this is 2016.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, kinda weird that they merged it into last year's thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    After watching his video on the MLS site, I think we selected him based on adding a Japanese anime element to our cartoon commercials/sales strategy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Uh, the thread title doesn't really work anymore as this is 2016.
    May some point this afternoon the 2015 and 2016 draft threads got combined, not sure why. Check out page 9, there is a one year jump between one thread to the next , not sure why.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for shits and giggles, I made a correlation between the mock draft selections (X) and where those players were actually selected (Y). The three points up at 42 are players that were predicted to be taken in the first round, or the five "other players to watch" that still haven't been selected. There were also three players selected in the first round that weren't mentioned in the mock draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope that people, especially the media, learn how to pronounce the Japanese syllable 'Tsu'.

http://drmoku.com/how-to-pronounce-t...-syllable-tsu/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just heard him on sportsnet 590. Impressed with his English skills considering he's only learned it for three years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/01...ft-greg-vanney

Vanney on him, says they watched/scouted Maryland during the college season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vanney mentioned we have 3 import slots left...do we have 8?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    vanney mentioned we have 3 import slots left...do we have 8?
    Yup, can trade for more if needs be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having Moore and Simonin has imports seems like kinda a waste...saying that..never seen Endoh play,its nice to have a o mined mid,dont many of those on our roster..could this be the end of lovitz?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Having Moore and Simonin has imports seems like kinda a waste...saying that..never seen Endoh play,its nice to have a o mined mid,dont many of those on our roster..could this be the end of lovitz?
    It's only a waste if you need the spots for a better player. As it is, we have two remaining roster spots (and it's assumed one will be used on a keeper), and three int'l spots available. So, even if we signed an international keeper, signed Endoh and he uses an international spot (having spent the last four years in the states, I'm not sure that he doesn't count as domestic), and signed some south american DM with TAM, we still wouldn't need to free up another int'l spot unless we magically shat out enough cap space for yet another player and permanently assigned two players to TFC II. IF we found another player that we wanted to sign, then getting rid of Moore would make a lot of sense because it would free up both cap space and an int'l spot. But otherwise our roster is still in good shape without freeing up that spot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Isn't Paolo Nagamura half Japanese?
    I'm pretty sure he's Brazilian....but definately has some Japanese ancestry. There was a big wave of Japanese immigrants to Brazil around 100 years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Yeah, I was expecting them to take him too. But that's just basing it on the scouting report that he's a CM who can move the ball around really well. But that's about all I know about him, and maybe he doesn't have the defensive tools or workrate to play at the base of midfield? If he doesn't have the tools to be the DM, then becomes CM depth in a squad that's stacked with CMs. The report is that he was the best passer in the combine, but when it comes to CMs who can pass well, we already have Bradley and Johnson, with Osorio and Delgado behind them, plus Warner isn't too shabby either. What none of our midfielders really have though is creativity to play AM or on the wing. If Endoh can play AM, then that adds depth to a position where we're lacking it, vs CM where we have lots of it.

As for Endoh taking up an international spot, I wouldn't be too worried. We only have 5 Internationals right now anyways, and given that he's spent the last 4 years in the US, I can't imagine he'll use an international spot for too much longer, if he doesn't already have a US green card.

Another factor is that since Buescher is a GA, they would have to add him to the roster right away, and that would be the last roster spot. With Endoh not having a contract yet, they have some flexibility to let players fight for a roster spot in training camp, and can sign him to a USL contract if they think that's what's best.
    it was mentioned by a few scouts that they questions his engine, and didn't think he'd be able to cover enough of the field to be a DM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without having any opinion of Endoh .... going off the board to pick a guy who suddenly popped up a few days ago at the combine isn't filling me with confidence in our scouting
    Last edited by ensco; 01-15-2016 at 08:05 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am intrigued by the massive long-term potential of building relationships to the Japanese youth system, if that can be done. Youth soccer development there is very big, they are decades ahead of us, but it's brutal - the J league is right now the only outlet for thousands of young players.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/...roduction-line

If you want to understand the culture of Japanese youth sports development, read up on Koshien, the gigantic high school baseball playoff played by hundreds of teams in a knockout system there. It is unreal.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/communit...hien-baseball/

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/communit.../#.Vpjnv52DmrV

http://www.wsj.com/articles/japanese...ory-1405482473
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Without having any opinion of Endoh .... going off the board to pick a guy who suddenly popped up a few days ago at the combine isn't filling me with confidence in our scouting
    Could be b.s. but in the interview with Vanney, he says Endoh was the one they were targeting all along and they had scouted him at Maryland and his combine performance was just icing on the cake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems a system player which is why he wasn't hyped as much. I'm okay with the pick.

Kinda reinforces my belief that we're looking very diamondy right now. A guy that runs all day? good passer? combines with people? seems like another shuttler.