Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am glad that every discussion on here no longer ends up about DeRo.

Now they end up about either the Argos or Pro/Rel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Laryea hasn't been property of sigma since he graduated high school. It was either go back to school or go to the draft. He chose the draft and got an agent.

I've worked with and around Sigma and trust me, they don't care where guys like Laryea end up in the draft. really doesn't effect them.
    Laryea PLAYED for Sigma this past summer. Bobby was AT his games through the NCAA tourney. Sigma are an academy and they also represent their players. If you worked with and around Sigma, you would know this. I talked to them before Larin accepted his GA and that's where I'm coming from re Laryea. You don't get offered a GA unless a team is prepared to select you, and they knew who was interested in Larin pre 2015 draft, and ultimately who would select him. They have spoken about Richie in the same way they've spoken about Larin - I can promise you they have an interest in where he goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Laryea PLAYED for Sigma this past summer. Bobby was AT his games through the NCAA tourney. Sigma are an academy and they also represent their players. If you worked with and around Sigma, you would know this. I talked to them before Larin accepted his GA and that's where I'm coming from re Laryea. You don't get offered a GA unless a team is prepared to select you, and they knew who was interested in Larin pre 2015 draft, and ultimately who would select him. They have spoken about Richie in the same way they've spoken about Larin - I can promise you they have an interest in where he goes.
    Alright, fair enough. I should have been more clear. Obviously they want the best for him and I know they keep close ties with their success stories once they go pro. And obviously they're becoming more and more able to throw around their weight and influence and become a sort of sub-institution for the league. But Laryea's a good player who was snapped up by MLS on a GA deal because he was supposedly indifferent to whether he wanted to go to the draft or take one of his other options. He's a solid domestic product in a draft that's lacking them. I'm sure they hope and will do whatever minimal amount they can do to mke sure he goes to a team that gives him the best opportunity to succeed. I'm just saying it's not Sigma who put him in the draft. It's pretty clear he liked the offer MLS gave him and wants to try his luck here. Sigma's not pimping him out.

Also, Larin's not a great case for your point. He was the consensus no.1 pick. He was either staying here or trying his luck in Europe. It's not like Sigma had to do a ton of leg work to figure out who was gonna take him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, fair enough. I should have been more clear. Obviously they want the best for him and I know they keep close ties with their success stories once they go pro. And obviously they're becoming more and more able to throw around their weight and influence and become a sort of sub-institution for the league. But Laryea's a good player who was snapped up by MLS on a GA deal because he was supposedly indifferent to whether he wanted to go to the draft or take one of his other options. He's a solid domestic product in a draft that's lacking them. I'm sure they hope and will do whatever minimal amount they can do to mke sure he goes to a team that gives him the best opportunity to succeed. I'm just saying it's not Sigma who put him in the draft. It's pretty clear he liked the offer MLS gave him and wants to try his luck here. Sigma's not pimping him out.

Also, Larin's not a great case for your point. He was the consensus no.1 pick. He was either staying here or trying his luck in Europe. It's not like Sigma had to do a ton of leg work to figure out who was gonna take him.
    I'm struggling to understand what capacity you've worked with Sigma because the way you're describing them is a 180 from the conversations I had with them since 2013.

In my discussions with their directors, they care very much where their players go, mostly because they are also their agents. Bekker/Welshman/Larin are repped by Sigma/SEG. I cannot imagine Laryea, who has been a part of Sigma since he was 11, wouldn't be with the same people who brokered Larin's GA deal.

My point with Larin isn't that he was a consensus #1 - it's that they were ensured that Orlando was in fact going to pick him and not trade that spot to another team. They were comfortable with him going to play there and put pen to paper on the GA deal for him to go into the draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm struggling to understand what capacity you've worked with Sigma because the way you're describing them is a 180 from the conversations I had with them since 2013.

In my discussions with their directors, they care very much where their players go, mostly because they are also their agents. Bekker/Welshman/Larin are repped by Sigma/SEG. I cannot imagine Laryea, who has been a part of Sigma since he was 11, wouldn't be with the same people who brokered Larin's GA deal.

My point with Larin isn't that he was a consensus #1 - it's that they were ensured that Orlando was in fact going to pick him and not trade that spot to another team. They were comfortable with him going to play there and put pen to paper on the GA deal for him to go into the draft.
    Well you obviously have better information than I do. I trained privately with one or maybe two of their coaches when I was a player and did some joint coaching stuff with them when i worked with another Academy. I never even got close to meeting Bobby. And then I played against them quite a few times when I was still mobile, but that doesn't count for much.

well, You obviously know more than I do. I'm clearly getting old. I'm not nearly as in the know now as I used to be a few years ago.

My bad. you keep doin' you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you obviously have better information than I do. I trained privately with one or maybe two of their coaches when I was a player and did some joint coaching stuff with them when i worked with another Academy. I never even got close to meeting Bobby. And then I played against them quite a few times when I was still mobile, but that doesn't count for much.

well, You obviously know more than I do. I'm clearly getting old. I'm not nearly as in the know now as I used to be a few years ago.

My bad. you keep doin' you.
    Didn't mean to come across aggressive. Apologies if I did. Just wanted to share what I knew re Larin and believe the same scenario is at play with Laryea. We'll see how it shakes out this week. Cheers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't kid yourself - if the right price had been offered, Orlando would have traded that pick. They were taking offers, including from TFC and NYCFC by accounts on the day. No MLS team is going to put into writing a "we will not trade this pick and will pick this guy" agreement. So, likely a verbal "Yes, this is what we are planning to do."

I get that Sigma will have an idea where a guy will likely be drafted. But a guarantee? Not in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is the USSF so cheap that they can't pay the minuscule fees to grassroots clubs we got our young players from? such a broken system. pro/rel cannot come soon enough to American Soccer.
    I fail to see how this solves the problem of paying youth clubs. Euro teams would skimp on those payments too if they could get away with it.

Pro/ rel solves nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Don't kid yourself - if the right price had been offered, Orlando would have traded that pick. They were taking offers, including from TFC and NYCFC by accounts on the day. No MLS team is going to put into writing a "we will not trade this pick and will pick this guy" agreement. So, likely a verbal "Yes, this is what we are planning to do."

I get that Sigma will have an idea where a guy will likely be drafted. But a guarantee? Not in this league.
    You never know. In the past MLS balked completely at these situations and guys said "screw you, I'll play in Norway".

Larin says I'll sign but wants a guarantee where he goes or at least enough clarity to say he's not going to Columbus. League says okay and because nothing is public no one is the wiser. Not outside of the realm of possibilities at all.

Let's not get snowed by the facade of a simple draft when reality is more complex.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    You never know. In the past MLS balked completely at these situations and guys said "screw you, I'll play in Norway".

Larin says I'll sign but wants a guarantee where he goes or at least enough clarity to say he's not going to Columbus. League says okay and because nothing is public no one is the wiser. Not outside of the realm of possibilities at all.

Let's not get snowed by the facade of a simple draft when reality is more complex.
    I would not think that you stop say Columbus from taking someone but as we all know the league FO has orchestrated player movement before to specific teams, so the said Crew were essentially be forced into a trade so why bother go through the process in the first place. I think the days of losing players to Norway, the Swedish 2nd division are somewhat behind us.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I agree. And I think that's in part better pay packets but also the fact they'll show flexibility.

Where it used to be our way or the highway they've now become a little more pragmatic about not missing out on talent.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I am glad that every discussion on here no longer ends up about DeRo.

Now they end up about either the Argos or Pro/Rel.
    We used to have that nice p******s filter. Maybe the web gods could put in a filter that changes Pro/Rel to Lol/Rel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I fail to see how this solves the problem of paying youth clubs. Euro teams would skimp on those payments too if they could get away with it.

Pro/ rel solves nothing.
    no more players being signed to the league. gives clubs the clear responsibility of paying the fees to youth clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't mean to come across aggressive. Apologies if I did. Just wanted to share what I knew re Larin and believe the same scenario is at play with Laryea. We'll see how it shakes out this week. Cheers.
    no worries. just goes to show my dwindling understanding/knowledge of youth soccer in this city since I went back to school. Sigma is obviously a bigger presence in NA soccer than I thought. good for them. A lot of smart, committed guys over there who deserve their success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no more players being signed to the league. gives clubs the clear responsibility of paying the fees to youth clubs.
    Really doesn't matter whether it's a league or a club. I'm sure for FIFA's interpretation it's pretty clear what has to be done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there's a good chance we'll pick up a striker. Maybe Ben Polk or Fabian Herbers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...eir-1st-season

A look at how 2015 class fared.

I think Bez is going to draft for future, not someone who is going to contribute immediately.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leo Stolz, the Hermann Trophy winner as the top college player in the United States in the 2014 college season and was one of the top prospects going into the 2015 draft played with NYRB's USL team this past season but at the end of the season was let go and is now a free agent. I remember there was a lot of talk about this guy I guess in the end he did not impress with their USL team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Leo Stolz, the Hermann Trophy winner as the top college player in the United States in the 2014 college season and was one of the top prospects going into the 2015 draft played with NYRB's USL team this past season but at the end of the season was let go and is now a free agent. I remember there was a lot of talk about this guy I guess in the end he did not impress with their USL team.
    Problem with Leo is he is German and thus would cost you an international spot.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...eir-1st-season

A look at how 2015 class fared.

I think Bez is going to draft for future, not someone who is going to contribute immediately.
    I think he takes best player available/GA, barring keepers.

For me Herbers is the guy I'd like us to end up with, he's a GA, a young forward and I think if we get him then we could feasibly drop Gomez or Moore and gain 250k of cap space.

In Herbers case I'd even go so far as to trade Moore/Gomez plus our #9 (and maybe our second rounder) for Philly's #6 pick. In the end you still have 5 forwards, but you've reduced the age of one of said forwards by a decade plus gained 250k of cap space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    He was actually pretty good, with four goals and two assists. But "pretty good" at USL isn't good enough for an international spot. He didn't look close to MLS ready.

Since we probably won't get Richie Laryea, it would be nice if we could land Eric Verso, who is a talented mid in the Justin Mapp mold, and good one-on-one, so probably a decent MLS winger. He serves up a great ball.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-11-2016 at 10:35 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I look a this draft, the more I think we will trade up, possibly with Philly to get that #6 spot. We traded up to ensure we got Hagglund and last year, IIRC, we made offers to get either the #1 for Larin or the #2 for Shelton. I think they want wide midfield - Holness or Harrison.

BTW, IF Laryea is assured he'd start / play big minutes somewhere, he's destined for Philly. No other team in the top 10 would start him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Molinaro might shed some light tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know of any secret combines we've been a part of in the last month?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know of any secret combines we've been a part of in the last month?
    Just the one in December with the Sounders in Vegas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the Fire may move the number 1 pick. Something to keep an eye on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And here is the bit between Molinaro and Vanney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as of now, Doyle has us taking Laryea.

The way people describe him makes him sound like another Osorio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...raft-prospects

On Laryea, it sounds like Real Salt Lake is pretty likely to take him at #5, I would be pretty surprised to see him fall all the way to us. Then again, he does count as an international for the rest of the league...
    Last edited by notthesun; 01-13-2016 at 10:59 AM.