Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Colorado's Clint Irwin traded to Toronto FC

Toronto FC announced Monday that the club has acquired goalkeeper Clint Irwin from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for targeted allocation money (TAM), the club’s highest 2016 third round MLS SuperDraft pick and a conditional 2017 first round MLS SuperDraft pick. As per club and league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
    “Improving our defence has been a stated priority for our club this offseason. Bringing in Clint helps to solidify our defensive group, and with Clint on board we are confident in our collection of goalkeepers across the first team and TFC2,” said Toronto FC General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. “We are very excited about what Clint will add to our group and look forward to his quick transition into our team, which is aided by his familiarity with Drew in Colorado.”

Article continues here: http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/01...irwin-colorado

Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He use to play in the old CSL too. So he's a little familiar with Ontario and Canada I'm sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That's right. He played a season in Ottawa with Capital City FC.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And scored!

Goooooooooooarn!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this good news or bad ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you kidding? It's dubious at best/worst. Giving up TAM, a 2016 third round pick, and a conditional first rounder in 2017? It's that last one that gets me. They're expecting to win or finish near the top of the table in 2017. If they don't, well, I guess Bez won't be around to take the flak, so what does he care. Irwin has been injured a fair bit, so I assume that when he inevitably goes down that one of Roberts or Bono will step in. The rapport with Moor is a plus, so hopefully with Irwin-Moor and Morrow-Beitashour being familiar with each other the backline will gel faster. It appears to me that Bez is building for chemistry rather than talent. It will be a good experiment to watch this year. By the end of training camp we'll know if it worked or not.
    Gives a lot more credence to the rumors of the Rapids moving on Howard...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the move, and actual MLS keeper that has been a starter instead of the usual back up TFC trades for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Are you kidding? It's dubious at best/worst. Giving up TAM, a 2016 third round pick, and a conditional first rounder in 2017? It's that last one that gets me. They're expecting to win or finish near the top of the table in 2017. If they don't, well, I guess Bez won't be around to take the flak, so what does he care. Irwin has been injured a fair bit, so I assume that when he inevitably goes down that one of Roberts or Bono will step in. The rapport with Moor is a plus, so hopefully with Irwin-Moor and Morrow-Beitashour being familiar with each other the backline will gel faster. It appears to me that Bez is building for chemistry rather than talent. It will be a good experiment to watch this year. By the end of training camp we'll know if it worked or not.
    Building for chemistry rather than talent? You realize that our back five now consists of 4 former all-stars and a Polish international, right? The built in relationships are a bonus.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    ^ That's right. He played a season in Ottawa with Capital City FC.
    Was named the 2011 Bytown Boys Player of the Year.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC was going to use TAM on a goalie anyway. Now they got an all star without having to do that.
    when you're competing to be the best in the league, those draft picks are such terrible crap-shoots, they become irrelevant.

Im also not sure when you're getting the "injured quite a bit" part... I think his only professional injury was during the last game of 2013.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colorado had a very good defensive record last year, tied 6th-best in terms of goals allowed (it was their pitiful attack that sank them). Plucking two guys off that defensive corps is pretty huge.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He made $97K last season.

And he is better then Bendik.

I thought we would got with a veteran but will take somebody with the same amount of experience as Bendik who is better.

I wouldn't look too deeply into that "former all star" thing. He was a late injury replacement and was picked more because he was available.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-18-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It states "in exchange for TAM", so they don't have anymore TAM to use? I'm confused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    It states "in exchange for TAM", so they don't have anymore TAM to use? I'm confused.
    Most likely partial TAM. We'll likely never know exactly how much though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    TFC was going to use TAM on a goalie anyway. Now they got an all star without having to do that.
    Technically they did use TAM on GK, by trading some for him lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irwin is probably best bang for buck salary wise GK in MLS IMO. Hard to find a starter GK at sub 100k. I'd say Irwin is an avg MLS GK with above average shot stopping ability. Had a late start in development, but he knows what it's like to be hungry and to constantly have to push himself and fight hard to win a job. He was one of few players that consistenly looked good at a poor Rapids team. I'm very much ok with this signing.

As for injury, Irwin missed couple of games in 2014 but he's been pretty healthy otherwise.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/clint-irwin
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Im also not sure when you're getting the "injured quite a bit" part... I think his only professional injury was during the last game of 2013.
    I thought he was injured for part of 2015, but I must be thinking of someone else (Tyler Deric?). irwin was injured for a couple of games in 2014 but hasn't seemed to affect him in the long run.
    Hmm, we now have 2/5ths of Colorado's defence from last year and 1/5th of Vancouver's. Based on the same number of goals scored as last year (58) and a composite of goals allowed for this year (48), we should end up with a +10 goal differential, which should be enough for 2nd in the Eastern Conference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It appears to me that Bez is building for chemistry rather than talent.
    Which makes sense given that we already have heaps of talent overall; but are in need of more chemistry, especially on the home side of the pitch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be a partial piece of their TAM, as some also went in the Will Johnson trade. There is $800,000 of it in total.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if other's have seen this yet...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBenjabi View Post
    Thanks for the share. Obviously can't conclude much from a highlight video but seems to have good reflexes/decent shot stopping ability at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great pickup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrible move. He looks too much like Kocic. Bez out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont' get this. We're again using the GK position as the place where we're saving on salary?? I do hope that the defensive additions actually help this time around. The only positive out of this is that we're actually looking to give Bono or Q a shot as the backup this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBenjabi View Post
    Oh hes gonna love the BMO crowd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a lighter Clint Irwin vid:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I dont' get this. We're again using the GK position as the place where we're saving on salary?? I do hope that the defensive additions actually help this time around. The only positive out of this is that we're actually looking to give Bono or Q a shot as the backup this season.
    It's not our fault the Rapids had him on less than 100k. If you're going to get one of the better keepers in the league, wouldn't you rather have him on a cheap contract?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minor nitpick, but the thread title should say traded to TFC, not signs with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    It would be a partial piece of their TAM, as some also went in the Will Johnson trade. There is $800,000 of it in total.
    Actually we still had the initial 500k of TAM available to us. I would bet after these two trades we still haven't touched (or barely touched) the second round of TAM investment of $1.6 million.