Hybrid View

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Combine/Superdrafts 2015 & 2016

MLS Combine 2015: 8-13 Jan

MLS Superdraft 2015: 15 Jan (Round 1&2), 20 Jan (Round 3&4)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see us load up on Defenders in the draft.

Thomas (Can), Murrell(Can), Del Campo (USMNT U20) and Donovan (USMNT U20). 6ft7 Axel Sjoberg would be worth a punt if he is available in when we pick in the 2nd round.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyle larin supposedly came to a deal with mls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larin won't be coming to TFC. We should go for Besler as well as Bono and build from the back. My two cents :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Larin won't be coming to TFC. We should go for Besler as well as Bono and build from the back. My two cents :P
    This is what I'd like to see and then toss in the best available CB with that 3rd pick. Unless we can offload Oduro or Jackson to move up a few spots here or there.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Cyle larin supposedly came to a deal with mls
    Yes but you can check out what we could have down the road from this Brampton boy tomorrow night vs Haiti in the CONCACAF U-20 tourney!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ives has us taking Bono GK, Alashe DM and Earle LB

http://www.sbisoccer.com/2015/01/201...t-version.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grooming Roberts and Bono at the same time when our current keeper is only 26 this season? Konopka will stay as the bench warmer/cup performer.

I'm not sure about platooning two youngsters in that position down on the farm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Grooming Roberts and Bono at the same time when our current keeper is only 26 this season? Konopka will stay as the bench warmer/cup performer.

I'm not sure about platooning two youngsters in that position down on the farm.

While I agree, Alex Bono's reflexes look pretty amazing on youtube.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure if TFC drafted Bono, it wouldn't be to groom him, he'd be coming in to compete for the #1 spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure if TFC drafted Bono, it wouldn't be to groom him, he'd be coming in to compete for the #1 spot.

This Bono dude might just be our savior. Excellent banner ideas.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keepers right out of NCAA do not start. The expectations in terms of distribution, communication and speed of decision making are much much higher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keepers right out of NCAA do not start. The expectations in terms of distribution, communication and speed of decision making are much much higher.
    I'm not sure I follow. Do strikers, midfielders and defenders coming out of NCAA start because there aren't expectations on them or their skill set? Why do those positions routinely see starters right out of NCAA then?

Keepers have started right out of NCAA - we drafted one in 2009. McMath was starting games in his rookie year and was #1 in his second season.

I would suggest one of the main reasons you don't see it often isn't because they aren't good enough or skills aren't there, but keepers are fighting for one position only, where in the case of F/M/D there are ten outfield positions with the potential to convert to a different role.

IMO if we drafted Bono, at worst we'd get the same level of keeping, and one who would be earning less money.
    Last edited by spark; 01-06-2015 at 09:50 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, keepers are different in terms of coming out of NCAA. Keepers are grown. Bono would have to be exceptional to beat out Bendik. I don't have an issue taking the guy. I just don't expect him to compete right away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, keepers are different in terms of coming out of NCAA. Keepers are grown. Bono would have to be exceptional to beat out Bendik. I don't have an issue taking the guy. I just don't expect him to compete right away.
    Perhaps but I don't see Bendik in as positive a light as others do. He is an average (at best) MLS keeper. I wouldn't expect Bono to beat him out in year one but it's not like we haven't seen that happen here before (Frei). Regardless, Konopka looks terrible so if we can upgrade the back up spot with someone groom-able into the starters role then why not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What picks do we have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found a couple of mock drafts. This one is interesting: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/colle...-v-10_aid35627

It has TFC taking Midfielder Leo Stolz, GK Bono, and LB Andy Thoma. Not sure we need a LB more than a CB - maybe a conversion project? Didn't realize Bono is on a GA contract. Might be worthwhile to pick up then use as trade bait to get another needed starting piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Found a couple of mock drafts. This one is interesting: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/colle...-v-10_aid35627

It has TFC taking Midfielder Leo Stolz, GK Bono, and LB Andy Thoma. Not sure we need a LB more than a CB - maybe a conversion project? Didn't realize Bono is on a GA contract. Might be worthwhile to pick up then use as trade bait to get another needed starting piece.
    This mock draft is already inaccurate. Stolz roldon have refused ga contract offers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    This mock draft is already inaccurate. Stolz roldon have refused ga contract offers.
    Yea, not sure there are any current mock drafts available considering a lot of the better players in years draft class were not signed to GA contracts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stolz is a senior, not GA eligible, and is draftable.
    Last edited by oxygenatedbrain; 01-06-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono signed a GA deal

He apparently got those assurances. Also: New England, Montreal, Seattle, and Portland are, according a source, very high on Bono, who will now be in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. for MLS’ annual scouting combine, which begins Friday, though Bono isn't expect until after Friday's Hermann ceremony. ASN will be covering the combine and will be posting updates beginning Thursday evening.

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/alex-bono-signs-as-fourth-generation-adidas-player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly off topic but I notice every year there are TFc Academy or Sigma players in the draft but hardly any from whitecaps or Montreal. Do the other teams discourage college participation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of that could be that with so much turnaround at TFCA, players either leave or at let go more frequently than with VWFC or IMFC, who I think (correct me if this is debatable) have had more stable academies over the last 5+ years.

VWFC have two players in NCAA who could be top picks in Brody Huitema and Ben McKendry (and probably more if I looked into it). Montreal on the other hand, from what it looks like seem to be trying to streamline their academy into USL Pro then up to the senior team.

One of the trends right now with all the academies is if/when a player is ready to graduate, if they're not ready to make the jump, allow them to go to a top NCAA program for one or two years then bring them back. While many are applauding the USL Pro relationships, most of those clubs and to be honest even some MLS teams don't even come close to the resources the likes of North Carolina, Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke, etc … who have crazy money and top notch athletics programs.

Regarding Sigma - that is actually part of their mandate that considering they don't have a pro team at the top of their pyramid if/when a kid graduates from their program if they're not ready to turn pro yet then they go to the NCAA (for reasons above). The age group that is Cyle Larin is the first that did a full 'cycle' of academy development, in that they all started at 12 and finished at 17. That graduating class has many players who might turn pro, and there are a couple guys who didn't go to NCAA because of grades that were probably good enough that were on the L1O team. NCAA programs are scouting them like crazy because their philosophy and practices have been set from day 1 and everyone knows what they are going to get with a Sigma player. UCLA scouted them, leaving California for the first time ever. Sorry for the promo, but they are the real deal and probably should be talked about much more in terms of player development.
    Last edited by spark; 01-08-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of that could be that with so much turnaround at TFCA, players either leave or at let go more frequently than with VWFC or IMFC, who I think (correct me if this is debatable) have had more stable academies over the last 5+ years.

VWFC have two players in NCAA who could be top picks in Brody Huitema and Ben McKendry (and probably more if I looked into it). Montreal on the other hand, from what it looks like seem to be trying to streamline their academy into USL Pro then up to the senior team.

One of the trends right now with all the academies is if/when a player is ready to graduate, if they're not ready to make the jump, allow them to go to a top NCAA program for one or two years then bring them back. While many are applauding the USL Pro relationships, most of those clubs and to be honest even some MLS teams don't even come close to the resources the likes of North Carolina, Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke, etc … who have crazy money and top notch athletics programs.

Regarding Sigma - that is actually part of their mandate that considering they don't have a pro team at the top of their pyramid if/when a kid graduates from their program if they're not ready to turn pro yet then they go to the NCAA (for reasons above). The age group that is Cyle Larin is the first that did a full 'cycle' of academy development, in that they all started at 12 and finished at 17. That graduating class has many players who might turn pro, and there are a couple guys who didn't go to NCAA because of grades that were probably good enough that were on the L1O team. NCAA programs are scouting them like crazy because their philosophy and practices have been set from day 1 and everyone knows what they are going to get with a Sigma player. UCLA scouted them, leaving California for the first time ever. Sorry for the promo, but they are the real deal and probably should be talked about much more in terms of player development.
    Thanks for that, very insightful. Only went to one L1O game this year unfortunately, but I have a huge interest in youth development. Have to say, it's been much more enjoyable watching the academy kids play than the first team many times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

College teams scout Ontario more?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are they streaming it this time around?
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Latest mock draft from Matt Doyle and the MLS guys http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/...ombine-edition

They are dying to see Stolz with Osorio and Bradley so our picks may be biased
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 01-08-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Latest mock draft from Matt Doyle and the MLS guys http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/...ombine-edition

They are dying to see Stolz with Osorio and Bradley so our picks may be biased
    I wouldn't mind having this Stolz guy in the mix if they say he's as good as he is. We don't need another the athletic type in that position. A guy with a brain and good tackling sense would be perfect. Aka.. Laba..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stolz is 24 and an international. I don't think there's much upside to getting him unless he's going to be a starter from the beginning.

I can see us going after Fatai Alashe for that young center back / defensive midfielder because of the need but also because he's a teammate of Jay Chapman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Stolz is 24 and an international. I don't think there's much upside to getting him unless he's going to be a starter from the beginning.

I can see us going after Fatai Alashe for that young center back / defensive midfielder because of the need but also because he's a teammate of Jay Chapman.
    Yeah and he can play both in the middle and the back line. Word for MLS is he's expected to be a center back.