User Tag List

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 559
  1. #1
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    16,533
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default MLS Combine/Superdrafts 2015 & 2016

    MLS Combine 2015: 8-13 Jan

    MLS Superdraft 2015: 15 Jan (Round 1&2), 20 Jan (Round 3&4)

    "
    Hell is always loose here. It can't break loose again
    ."
    -Fort York Redcoat, on the state of TFC

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    2,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd like to see us load up on Defenders in the draft.

    Thomas (Can), Murrell(Can), Del Campo (USMNT U20) and Donovan (USMNT U20). 6ft7 Axel Sjoberg would be worth a punt if he is available in when we pick in the 2nd round.

  3. #3
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    16,533
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Cyle larin supposedly came to a deal with mls

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Larin won't be coming to TFC. We should go for Besler as well as Bono and build from the back. My two cents :P

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    2,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ives has us taking Bono GK, Alashe DM and Earle LB

    http://www.sbisoccer.com/2015/01/201...t-version.html

  6. #6
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    11,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Grooming Roberts and Bono at the same time when our current keeper is only 26 this season? Konopka will stay as the bench warmer/cup performer.

    I'm not sure about platooning two youngsters in that position down on the farm.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Grooming Roberts and Bono at the same time when our current keeper is only 26 this season? Konopka will stay as the bench warmer/cup performer.

    I'm not sure about platooning two youngsters in that position down on the farm.

    While I agree, Alex Bono's reflexes look pretty amazing on youtube.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm pretty sure if TFC drafted Bono, it wouldn't be to groom him, he'd be coming in to compete for the #1 spot.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,581
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    I'm pretty sure if TFC drafted Bono, it wouldn't be to groom him, he'd be coming in to compete for the #1 spot.



    This Bono dude might just be our savior. Excellent banner ideas.

  10. #10
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    11,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Keepers right out of NCAA do not start. The expectations in terms of distribution, communication and speed of decision making are much much higher.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Keepers right out of NCAA do not start. The expectations in terms of distribution, communication and speed of decision making are much much higher.
    I'm not sure I follow. Do strikers, midfielders and defenders coming out of NCAA start because there aren't expectations on them or their skill set? Why do those positions routinely see starters right out of NCAA then?

    Keepers have started right out of NCAA - we drafted one in 2009. McMath was starting games in his rookie year and was #1 in his second season.

    I would suggest one of the main reasons you don't see it often isn't because they aren't good enough or skills aren't there, but keepers are fighting for one position only, where in the case of F/M/D there are ten outfield positions with the potential to convert to a different role.

    IMO if we drafted Bono, at worst we'd get the same level of keeping, and one who would be earning less money.
    Last edited by spark; 01-06-2015 at 09:50 AM.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,253
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Larin won't be coming to TFC. We should go for Besler as well as Bono and build from the back. My two cents :P
    This is what I'd like to see and then toss in the best available CB with that 3rd pick. Unless we can offload Oduro or Jackson to move up a few spots here or there.

  13. #13
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    11,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, keepers are different in terms of coming out of NCAA. Keepers are grown. Bono would have to be exceptional to beat out Bendik. I don't have an issue taking the guy. I just don't expect him to compete right away.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,253
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yes, keepers are different in terms of coming out of NCAA. Keepers are grown. Bono would have to be exceptional to beat out Bendik. I don't have an issue taking the guy. I just don't expect him to compete right away.
    Perhaps but I don't see Bendik in as positive a light as others do. He is an average (at best) MLS keeper. I wouldn't expect Bono to beat him out in year one but it's not like we haven't seen that happen here before (Frei). Regardless, Konopka looks terrible so if we can upgrade the back up spot with someone groom-able into the starters role then why not.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What picks do we have?

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,041
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Supporting View Post
    What picks do we have?
    6, 9, 11

    I really hope we steer clear of all keepers. Get defensive depth, please.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Found a couple of mock drafts. This one is interesting: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/colle...-v-10_aid35627

    It has TFC taking Midfielder Leo Stolz, GK Bono, and LB Andy Thoma. Not sure we need a LB more than a CB - maybe a conversion project? Didn't realize Bono is on a GA contract. Might be worthwhile to pick up then use as trade bait to get another needed starting piece.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Found a couple of mock drafts. This one is interesting: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/colle...-v-10_aid35627

    It has TFC taking Midfielder Leo Stolz, GK Bono, and LB Andy Thoma. Not sure we need a LB more than a CB - maybe a conversion project? Didn't realize Bono is on a GA contract. Might be worthwhile to pick up then use as trade bait to get another needed starting piece.
    This mock draft is already inaccurate. Stolz roldon have refused ga contract offers.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,041
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    This mock draft is already inaccurate. Stolz roldon have refused ga contract offers.
    Yea, not sure there are any current mock drafts available considering a lot of the better players in years draft class were not signed to GA contracts.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Stolz is a senior, not GA eligible, and is draftable.
    Last edited by oxygenatedbrain; 01-06-2015 at 09:51 PM.

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    2,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Bono signed a GA deal

    He apparently got those assurances. Also: New England, Montreal, Seattle, and Portland are, according a source, very high on Bono, who will now be in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. for MLS’ annual scouting combine, which begins Friday, though Bono isn't expect until after Friday's Hermann ceremony. ASN will be covering the combine and will be posting updates beginning Thursday evening.

    http://americansoccernow.com/articles/alex-bono-signs-as-fourth-generation-adidas-player

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Slightly off topic but I notice every year there are TFc Academy or Sigma players in the draft but hardly any from whitecaps or Montreal. Do the other teams discourage college participation?

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    2,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    College teams scout Ontario more?

  24. #24
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,357
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Are they streaming it this time around?
    Toronto is the greatest city in all of recorded history, prove me wrong.

  25. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Part of that could be that with so much turnaround at TFCA, players either leave or at let go more frequently than with VWFC or IMFC, who I think (correct me if this is debatable) have had more stable academies over the last 5+ years.

    VWFC have two players in NCAA who could be top picks in Brody Huitema and Ben McKendry (and probably more if I looked into it). Montreal on the other hand, from what it looks like seem to be trying to streamline their academy into USL Pro then up to the senior team.

    One of the trends right now with all the academies is if/when a player is ready to graduate, if they're not ready to make the jump, allow them to go to a top NCAA program for one or two years then bring them back. While many are applauding the USL Pro relationships, most of those clubs and to be honest even some MLS teams don't even come close to the resources the likes of North Carolina, Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke, etc … who have crazy money and top notch athletics programs.

    Regarding Sigma - that is actually part of their mandate that considering they don't have a pro team at the top of their pyramid if/when a kid graduates from their program if they're not ready to turn pro yet then they go to the NCAA (for reasons above). The age group that is Cyle Larin is the first that did a full 'cycle' of academy development, in that they all started at 12 and finished at 17. That graduating class has many players who might turn pro, and there are a couple guys who didn't go to NCAA because of grades that were probably good enough that were on the L1O team. NCAA programs are scouting them like crazy because their philosophy and practices have been set from day 1 and everyone knows what they are going to get with a Sigma player. UCLA scouted them, leaving California for the first time ever. Sorry for the promo, but they are the real deal and probably should be talked about much more in terms of player development.
    Last edited by spark; 01-08-2015 at 02:29 PM.

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    2,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Latest mock draft from Matt Doyle and the MLS guys http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/...ombine-edition

    They are dying to see Stolz with Osorio and Bradley so our picks may be biased
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 01-08-2015 at 03:18 PM.

  27. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Part of that could be that with so much turnaround at TFCA, players either leave or at let go more frequently than with VWFC or IMFC, who I think (correct me if this is debatable) have had more stable academies over the last 5+ years.

    VWFC have two players in NCAA who could be top picks in Brody Huitema and Ben McKendry (and probably more if I looked into it). Montreal on the other hand, from what it looks like seem to be trying to streamline their academy into USL Pro then up to the senior team.

    One of the trends right now with all the academies is if/when a player is ready to graduate, if they're not ready to make the jump, allow them to go to a top NCAA program for one or two years then bring them back. While many are applauding the USL Pro relationships, most of those clubs and to be honest even some MLS teams don't even come close to the resources the likes of North Carolina, Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke, etc … who have crazy money and top notch athletics programs.

    Regarding Sigma - that is actually part of their mandate that considering they don't have a pro team at the top of their pyramid if/when a kid graduates from their program if they're not ready to turn pro yet then they go to the NCAA (for reasons above). The age group that is Cyle Larin is the first that did a full 'cycle' of academy development, in that they all started at 12 and finished at 17. That graduating class has many players who might turn pro, and there are a couple guys who didn't go to NCAA because of grades that were probably good enough that were on the L1O team. NCAA programs are scouting them like crazy because their philosophy and practices have been set from day 1 and everyone knows what they are going to get with a Sigma player. UCLA scouted them, leaving California for the first time ever. Sorry for the promo, but they are the real deal and probably should be talked about much more in terms of player development.
    Thanks for that, very insightful. Only went to one L1O game this year unfortunately, but I have a huge interest in youth development. Have to say, it's been much more enjoyable watching the academy kids play than the first team many times.

  28. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,041
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Latest mock draft from Matt Doyle and the MLS guys http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/...ombine-edition

    They are dying to see Stolz with Osorio and Bradley so our picks may be biased
    I wouldn't mind having this Stolz guy in the mix if they say he's as good as he is. We don't need another the athletic type in that position. A guy with a brain and good tackling sense would be perfect. Aka.. Laba..

  29. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Stolz is 24 and an international. I don't think there's much upside to getting him unless he's going to be a starter from the beginning.

    I can see us going after Fatai Alashe for that young center back / defensive midfielder because of the need but also because he's a teammate of Jay Chapman.

  30. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    9,680
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Stolz is 24 and an international. I don't think there's much upside to getting him unless he's going to be a starter from the beginning.

    I can see us going after Fatai Alashe for that young center back / defensive midfielder because of the need but also because he's a teammate of Jay Chapman.
    Yeah and he can play both in the middle and the back line. Word for MLS is he's expected to be a center back.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •