Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steven Gerrard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liverpool FC @LFC 3m3 minutes ago
    Gerrard: “I’ll be going to play in USA. I’m not over the line with any team yet. I’m close & as soon as I know, I’ll make the announcement.”
    Last edited by pdubs; 01-03-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Gerrard gerrard gerrard
    he slipped on his f***** arse
    he gave it to demba ba
    gerrard gerrard

he's got no legs left and his Hollywood bombs to no one won't work in Mls.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently, TFC made an offer.......Tutti pazzi per Gerrard: lo vuole anche il Toronto FC

"Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gerrard and Defoe along side each other. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    Gerrard and Defoe along side each other. Can't wait.
    That would actually be unbelievable. Could you imagine? Someone who can see a pass with someone who can see a run? I'd bring back DeRo as well for his off the ball runs - Gerrard passing to him would drop years off those legs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can Gerrard pass it to Leicester all the way from the States?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well played, Sir!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course we made an offer. He actually fits our system and TL would have a ball selling tickets. Gerrard is probably the most marketable English player behind Rooney.

Except he's slowing down, wants to be over here more to enjoy an experience, will be useless this season and 36 next season - no thank you.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-03-2015 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Can Gerrard pass it to Leicester all the way from the States?
    If he could, it would be on a dime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Of course we made an offer. He actually fits our system and TL would have a ball selling tickets. Gerrard is probably the most marketable English player behind Rooney.
    The fact that anyone would give half a shit about that is the prime reason TFC have sucked from day one and why canada sucks on the national level.

This country is in love with the wrong brand of football. It is making me fall out of love with football as I age.

We, as a football nation only, should model ourselves and love a different style of play and players like Gerard.

It's loooooooong overdue. Both TFC and Canada will suck until the change is implemented and stuck with.

But hey....they're still trying to sign overpriced (particular) players to fill the seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    The fact that anyone would give half a shit about that is the prime reason TFC have sucked from day one and why canada sucks on the national level.

This country is in love with the wrong brand of football. It is making me fall out of love with football as I age.

We, as a football nation only, should model ourselves and love a different style of play and players like Gerard.

It's loooooooong overdue. Both TFC and Canada will suck until the change is implemented and stuck with.

But hey....they're still trying to sign overpriced (particular) players to fill the seats.
    Don't confuse TFC and Canadian Soccer these days! Both of them are going opposite direction with each other in terms of soccer culture. CSA is slowly becoming more progressive and doing much better job (example, hiring an experience manager) these days while TFC haven't changed much and still stick to certain culture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Don't confuse TFC and Canadian Soccer these days! Both of them are going opposite direction with each other in terms of soccer culture. CSA is slowly becoming more progressive and doing much better job (example, hiring an experience manager) these days while TFC haven't changed much and still stick to certain culture.
    I hope you're right. Floro seems like the type to change things but I can't help remembering a man name Holger....and his replacement.

Over and over and over again. Tfc and CMNT.

I hope the change sticks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CTV reporting he signed an 18 month contract with LA Galaxy. He will make 6 million annualy. 6 million next year and pro-rated 3 million this year. Overpriced if you ask me for a non striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    CTV reporting he signed an 18 month contract with LA Galaxy. He will make 6 million annualy. 6 million next year and pro-rated 3 million this year. Overpriced if you ask me for a non striker.
    Way overpriced. Worse contract then Defoes tbh. Glad we didn't get stuck with him.

Now we get to see people come out od the woodwork across the leauge to support the player just because of the team he used to play for yay.

Can't wait for people to make excuses to wear LFC kits at games ffs.
    Last edited by BuSaPuNk; 01-04-2015 at 01:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Way overpriced. Worse contract then Defoes tbh. Glad we didn't get stuck with him.

Now we get to see people come out od the woodwork across the leauge to support the player just because of the team he used to play for yay.

Can't wait for people to make excuses to wear LFC kits at games ffs.
    In all honesty though, from a business perspective, it would've made sense. All those shirt sales around the world as a consequence. Plus we have an extra 8000 seats this year (that we aren't selling).

Less Liverpool fans is completely fine with me though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually a pretty good contract, given caliber of marketing impact, and length of deal. The risk is $9M total.

Striking to compare that to what Defoe will wind up costing. Gerrard will sell some jerseys, a lot more than Defoe did. Even ignoring that, it's ugly.

We have already paid $16M for Defoe, and anyone who thinks we're getting much of a transfer for him needs to pass the bong. MLSE will probably be thrilled if someone will just take over the deal, but even that may be above market (who exactly will commit $18M for an injury-prone 32 year old that has been out of elite football for a year?).

There is a real chance that TFC can't move Defoe except on loan, and that the ultimate cost of Defoe is going to wind up being a lot higher, given he has $18M left on his deal.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-04-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We have already paid $16M for Defoe, and anyone who thinks we're getting much of a transfer for him needs to pass the bong.
    Not too sure about this. I really can't see Toronto getting less then the reported £6 million they paid for him. It's definitely a sellers market when it comes to strikers. Look at some of the fees paid in England at the beginning of this season for lower league strikers.

Britt Assombalonga to Nottingham Forest £5 million
    Leonardo Ulloa to Leicester £7 million
    Ross McCormack to Fulham £11 million
    Enner Valencia to West Ham £12 million

There are a lot of clubs desperate for goals. I think it will be Defoe's length of contract that will put off clubs, not a transfer fee of £6 million. When you think about all of the premiership clubs chasing the Sky money, it is not that much.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Not too sure about this. I really can't see Toronto getting less then the reported £6 million they paid for him. It's definitely a sellers market when it comes to strikers. Look at some of the fees paid in England at the beginning of this season for lower league strikers.

There are a lot of clubs desperate for goals. I think it will be Defoe's length of contract that will put off clubs, not a transfer fee of £6 million. When you think about all of the premiership clubs chasing the Sky money, it is not that much.
    none of these guys are 32 and have Defoe kind of wages already
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

"I don't care if we win all the time" -v00d00daddy. Never gonna take you seriously after that comment...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't derail this here but am happy to outline the case in the Defoe thread on why I would bet anyone $1000 that TFC will not get close to £6 million for Defoe.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's definitely a sellers market when it comes to strikers.
    True...but likely not true when it comes to Defoe. The world thinks we're desperate to get rid of him and that he's desperate to play in England. That makes it a buyer's market when it comes to Defoe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The good thing is the front office wont be able to use the "substantial sum of money" angle if its not true this time around. Everyone will know what the final price is going to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I won't derail this here but am happy to outline the case in the Defoe thread on why I would bet anyone $1000 that TFC will not get close to £6 million for Defoe.
    i'd take that bet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supporting View Post
    i'd take that bet.
    me too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Glad Gerrard isn't coming to Toronto. Not what we need. We need someone to compliment our Current DPs - Bradley and Gilberto. Someone who can relieve some of the pressure on Bradley in the mid and help free up Gilberto. I don't think Gerrard is that player.

We need someone with legs left to play on.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stevie rocked again in fa cup
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best tweet of the night:

LAG prospect scores in FA Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Best tweet of the night:

LAG prospect scores in FA Cup.
    I liked the `but can he do it on a sweltering Wednesday night in Houston`from Matt Doyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless we can somehow reason the price of an unsettled, recently injured, 32 year old striker on a big contract increases after playing half a year of football in a league miles below the EPL in quality, I'm inclined to believe we are not getting six million pounds from this.