Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steven Gerrard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Steven Gerrard

The now ex Liverpool player is up for grabs as of today, LA are interested, wonder if TFC are looking or not?

He is a great player with a few years left in him, go get him Tim B :@)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If L.A. is interested, then they will get him with help of MLS FO. We all know that MLS will do everything in their power to help bigger American markets to sign major DP's.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

already reported by several media as going to LA. supposedly announced tomorrow
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really hope the rumour of him heading to the Galaxy is true. Saves us from potentially making another failed big money/hype signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope the LA Rumor is true. Don't want him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Hope the LA Rumor is true. Don't want him.
    Agreed. Im not too worried. I just don't see how they would want to break up the Juninho-Sarvas partnership that has been super successful.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm Tim L, I might be lobbying right now for LAG to have their once every two years visit to Toronto in August.

Gerrards presence would sell out that game.

But if past experience holds true, we will play them in May.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Really hope the rumour of him heading to the Galaxy is true. Saves us from potentially making another failed big money/hype signing.
    Agreed. If LA wants him they can have him. We need to reassess our labour needs.

We've got a solid core at the moment. Sure, that may change over the next few months, but we're in a position where we really just need to supplement the current roster. At least I'm not expecting anything along the lines of the Bloody Big Deal Ver. 2.0.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 01-01-2015 at 09:25 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe NY will go after him.. Lampard being a tool and all...

Though I realize he has less choice in that City Group has all the say and they are the ones being tools.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lampard/Gerrard a match made in Hell, if u ever seen England try that formation.

After further reading I beleive LA will be favourite as said above.

Should be an interesting season regarding TFC, USL, other teams, new players and new teams I'm really looking forward to MLS 2015.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If I'm Tim L, I might be lobbying right now for LAG to have their once every two years visit to Toronto in August.

Gerrards presence would sell out that game.

But if past experience holds true, we will play them in May.
    Yet we all by know that scheduling a match and a player showing up, even suiting up, are 3 different things.

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally admit it will make more sense for Gerrard to sign with Toronto than LA. Right now, Toronto needs CAM/CM to play along with Bradley while L.A. not so much. Also, I believe Liverpool have huge following in Toronto/Canada so TFC FO could more motivated and willing to overpay Gerrard than L.A. if there's bidding war. With expanded BMO field, TFC needs something to promote and sell 30K seats this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I personally admit it will make more sense for Gerrard to sign with Toronto than L.A. Right now, Toronto needs CAM/CM to play along with Bradley while L.A. not so much. Also, I believe Liverpool have huge following in Toronto/Canada so TFC FO could more motivated and willing to overpay Gerrard than L.A. if there's bidding war. With expanded BMO field, TFC needs something to promote and sell 30K seats this year.
    True enough, but the question is would Gerrard move across the pond to finish his career in Toronto?

I doubt it. If L.A. wants him, I don't think we have a chance. L.A. can match any contract offer, has a championship contender, and is a more desirable place to live.

I love T.O., but I'm just being realistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A somewhat interesting tidbit of info is that Defoe and Gerrard have the same agent, Struan Marshall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    True enough, but the question is would Gerrard move across the pond to finish his career in Toronto?

I doubt it. If L.A. wants him, I don't think we have a chance. L.A. can match any contract offer, has a championship contender, and is a more desirable place to live.

Do you know Gerrard personally? We don't know what he prefers in terms of living style. Maybe he's looking for a place where it's safe for his family to live and it's closer/easier to fly to UK.

Don't underestimate Canada/Toronto when comes to Brits. Not every Brit is like Beckham who went to L.A. because he wanted to help out his wife's "career".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Word is that a pre-contract with LA is signed already and he could be announced as early as tomorrow.

Not coming here and although I liked him forever, I am glad we aren't getting him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“He is immense and the influence he has on games should never be understated,” manager Brendan Rodgers said. “At times he has carried this club on his back, and in my time here he has always shown the ability that has rightly seen him be regarded as one of the world’s best for well over a decade.

“As a leader and as a man, he is probably incomparable to anyone I have ever worked with. He takes professionalism to a new level, and the dedication he has to his work is an example to everyone in the game.”

That! ^^^^ ... Bez and co. looking to change the culture at the club. Michael Bradley saying we need to sign more "Men" ... I get that Stevie G is 34 but come on? If Liverpool offered him a new contract, if LA ... the MLS Cup Champions are interested? If you don't think a Steven Gerrard is a better option in the midfield than Bekker or Warner or you don't think he's the kind of "Man" that Michael Bradley would want them to sign ... just ask Michael Bradley what he thinks and I'll support his answer.

Having said that, who knows? MLS could possibly want to swing a league "face saving deal" in our favour if QPR, Leicester or anyone else can't afford Defoe. Maybe Defoe goes to Anfield and we get Gerrard early on a free. We haven't had a midfield threat from outside the box EVER and we've never had a set piece as good as him EVER either! We could do a lot worse is all I'm saying. PS. I'm not a Liverpool supporter either.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Do you know Gerrard personally? We don't know what he prefers in terms of living style. Maybe he's looking for a place where it's safe for his family to live and it's closer/easier to fly to UK.

Don't underestimate Canada/Toronto when comes to Brits. Not every Brit is like Beckham who went to L.A. because he wanted to help out his wife's "career".
    And Keane? I don't think he's there because of his wife.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    And Keane? I don't think he's there because of his wife.
    But we're assuming if TFC even went after Gerrard and Keane. I am sure Beckham is main reason why Keane went to L.A. at that time.

Point is: everyone has their own reasons where they want to play. Not everyone is going to choose L.A. over Toronto (or any other MLS market for that matter).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post

Well TFC is loaded with cash as well, does LA Galaxy have more money then TFC? I also think Soccer is actually more popular in Toronto then LA. I also think LA could be one of the most over rated cities, its highway city with everything spread out like 1 big suburb, if you got no car, well good luck getting around to see anything!! Dam movies and TV shows make it so appealing tho for tourists. I say LA wins in the weather and nice beaches category.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't need any more fucking old ass Englishman sorry.

(I support Liverpool too)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh thought Gerrard was one of the few who would never come over here for a retirement cheque.
    Even at 34 I'd take him for 2 years...why the fuck not. We need someone who can see the pitch and actually pass forward. Dear God, please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NY Red Bulls. His first manager is there, and it gives MLS a great NY Lampard Gerrard rivalry and narrative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can LA pay him though? Donovan was making 3 million I believe, Gerrard is going to be asking 7 or 8 million probably. I think he ends up playing in Spain before MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    Can LA pay him though? Donovan was making 3 million I believe, Gerrard is going to be asking 7 or 8 million probably. I think he ends up playing in Spain before MLS.
    lulz
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steven Gerrard Exit Confirmed by Liverpool: Full Details, Comment, Reaction

The 34-year-old—who has enjoyed a magnificent career since making his debut for the Anfield club back in 1998— is set to move to MLS, according to Liverpool, who announced the move on Saturday.
    And my personal favourite....

The time is right for him to move on, too. The unforgivingly fast pace of the Premier League has caught up with his ageing legs, and a switch to a more physically accommodating league like MLS should prolong his days as a player.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am shocked that the English press doesn't understand MLS.

Shocked I say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wait till his third or fourth kicking, foul and elbow in the chest in MLS and the refs turning away blindly waving on play,. then see if it's the easy league for pension players

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    We don't need any more fucking old ass Englishman sorry.

(I support Liverpool too)
    Probably not the best time to tell you that I heard Bez is bringing in Emile Heskey from Bolton...