Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Jloome did post on how it works out, essentially what happens is that Henry's agent buys him property, then he gets citizenship through that from the Turkish govt because of the poor economy. The rest is just a formailty with the EPL FA. Apparently Turkey gives you a golden ticket.
    That's twice you've mentioned Turkey instead of Cyprus. What does Turkey, a non-EU nation have anything to do with Henry being sold to a Cypriot team and then sold again to an EPL team?

The reason I ask is because Turkey/Cyprus is a sensitive issue for many.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    That's twice you've mentioned Turkey instead of Cyprus. What does Turkey, a non-EU nation have anything to do with Henry being sold to a Cypriot team and then sold again to an EPL team?

The reason I ask is because Turkey/Cyprus is a sensitive issue for many.
    Oh my mistake, not sure why I typed Turkey. Maybe I was thinking Apollon Limassol was in the Turkish league.
    Last edited by Richard; 12-24-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my mistake, not sure why I typed Turkey. Maybe I was thinking Apollon Limassol was in the Turkish league.
    Haha ok my bad! I was confused for a moment there. It's all good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have an EU passport you don't need a work permit or to have a work permit hearing to work in the UK. No hearing either, if you qualify for a visa(ancestry, youth mob, ect). You fill out the required paperwork and submitted to the revelant authorities. The only time you have a work permit hearing is if you do not automatically qualify for a visa but you employer wants to put a case forward why you should be granted a visa.

If Henry had a Cypriot passport, there would have been no hearing or any visa required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    If you have an EU passport you don't need a work permit or to have a work permit hearing to work in the UK. No hearing either, if you qualify for a visa(ancestry, youth mob, ect). You fill out the required paperwork and submitted to the revelant authorities. The only time you have a work permit hearing is if you do not automatically qualify for a visa but you employer wants to put a case forward why you should be granted a visa.

If Henry had a Cypriot passport, there would have been no hearing or any visa required.
    They gave DeAndre Yedlin a work permit and Seattle fans think it was because it was clear he was going to get a Latvian passport through his grandparent. If they could show Henry met Cyprus' requirements for an EU passport, they may have just approved it to avoid further bureaucratic holdup or cost. Look, the place has very lax rules now on getting a passport, all of which could be met by a wealthy guy like Joorachabian; if anyone thinks he went to Cyprus for no purpose other than potentially to play there, well... I've got some swamp land in Kirkland Lake that is for sale, really pretty about this time of year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares how Henry got into UK, point is that this huge news for him and TFC.

Now TFC can sell their program to young kids who want to play in bigger leagues in Europe. Also, I hope this motives TFC to invest more into their academy program so they can sell more players overseas and make money off it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They gave DeAndre Yedlin a work permit and Seattle fans think it was because it was clear he was going to get a Latvian passport through his grandparent. If they could show Henry met Cyprus' requirements for an EU passport, they may have just approved it to avoid further bureaucratic holdup or cost. Look, the place has very lax rules now on getting a passport, all of which could be met by a wealthy guy like Joorachabian; if anyone thinks he went to Cyprus for no purpose other than potentially to play there, well... I've got some swamp land in Kirkland Lake that is for sale, really pretty about this time of year.
    jloome, I have my doubts about this. The "internationalization" of the EPL is a front page story over there, it's everyone's favourite whipping boy for English suckitude in Euros and World Cups, and there is a real immigration backlask going on in the UK against "polish plumbers" and other perceived EU passport backdoors into the UK. The scrutiny in the press around this issue is very high, and these super agents aren't popular.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    jloome, I have my doubts about this. The "internationalization" of the EPL is a front page story over there, it's everyone's favourite whipping boy for English suckitude in Euros and World Cups, and there is a real immigration backlask going on in the UK against "polish plumbers" and other perceived EU passport backdoors into the UK. The scrutiny in the press around this issue is very high, and these super agents aren't popular.
    Ask yourself how he possibly met the criteria for an exemption. Beyond that, ask why we transferred a player to Cyprus which DOES have lax passport rules, then had him loaned back to us, then had him transferred to the club he was initially linked with. He never set foot in Cyprus yet was contracted to them.

I've spent years covering political loopholes in legislation and I freaking guarantee you something is afoot there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask yourself how he possibly met the criteria for an exemption. Beyond that, ask why we transferred a player to Cyprus which DOES have lax passport rules, then had him loaned back to us, then had him transferred to the club he was initially linked with. He never set foot in Cyprus yet was contracted to them.

I've spent years covering political loopholes in legislation and I freaking guarantee you something is afoot there.
    For sure something is going on. You have the best theory going, that is for sure.

I'm still not sure I clearly see TFC's interest here - how is there enough in it for TFC/MLS for it to be worth it to be an active party to this? I think they sold the player cheap and the rest happened away from them, but who knows?

I still don't see how this could happen without paying people off. If you are right, this could be a massive story in England, once the press over there figure it out. These work permit rules are a big deal, major players have not been able to go there because of them.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-26-2014 at 09:08 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For sure something is going on. You have the best theory going, that is for sure.

I'm still not sure I clearly see TFC's interest here - how is there enough in it for TFC/MLS for it to be worth it to be an active party to this? I think they sold the player cheap and the rest happened away from them, but who knows?

I still don't see how this could happen without paying people off. If you are right, this could be a massive story in England, once the press over there figure it out. These work permit rules are a big deal, major players have not been able to go there because of them.
    I think it's interesting that Bez was seen at both a Real Madrid (Barcelona?) home match and at BMO with said superagent right before this happened. I think it's interesting that he has the resources to basically stick in escrow to make a Cyprus passport happen very quickly. And it all comes as that country is desperate to attract foreign investment for its depressed economy. I'd keep an eye on this one; we maybe seeing a few more signings in the Prem that, under normal circumstances, should make people ask questions. There are influential people involved, if the agent in question is one of them.

Doneil hasn't even been Canada's regular starter at center half long enough, let alone the team ranked high enough; the idea that he'd get a youth exemption based on being a superstar is ludicrous.

There was a report a few days ago floating around that TFC got 30% of the transfer as a sell-on. Could be that Bez knows the league's arcane rule, and sell-on fees aren't the same as transfers, so TFC gets to keep the whole thing, instead of apportioning most to the league. If the $3.5M pound figure is accurate, that's $5.4 million, or about $1.6 million in TFC's pocket. The cyprus club gets a chunk of the remainder and the superagent pockets the lion's share. Everyone 'wins' compared to what we would have got back as our assigned portion from MLS, and Henry skips the work permit regs.

Makes sense to me. Plus, it's entirely legal.
    Last edited by jloome; 12-26-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's interesting that Bez was seen at both a Real Madrid (Barcelona?) home match and at BMO with said superagent right before this happened. I think it's interesting that he has the resources to basically stick in escrow to make a Cyprus passport happen very quickly. And it all comes as that country is desperate to attract foreign investment for its depressed economy. I'd keep an eye on this one; we maybe seeing a few more signings in the Prem that, under normal circumstances, should make people ask questions. There are influential people involved, if the agent in question is one of them.

Doneil hasn't even been Canada's regular starter at center half long enough, let alone the team ranked high enough; the idea that he'd get a youth exemption based on being a superstar is ludicrous.

There was a report a few days ago floating around that TFC got 30% of the transfer as a sell-on. Could be that Bez knows the league's arcane rule, and sell-on fees aren't the same as transfers, so TFC gets to keep the whole thing, instead of apportioning most to the league. If the $3.5M pound figure is accurate, that's $5.4 million, or about $1.6 million in TFC's pocket. The cyprus club gets a chunk of the remainder and the superagent pockets the lion's share. Everyone 'wins' compared to what we would have got back as our assigned portion from MLS, and Henry skips the work permit regs.

Where did you get the 3.5 million pound figure? I keep reading that it's 1.5million

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I found the legislation you are talking about.

LINK

I'm not sure why TFC needed to sell Henry to the Cyprus club, the agent could do everything involving the property part, unless you are right about the sell on clause.

I also found this to be very interesting confirming that there was no intention for him to play there.
    3.2 The applicant and his spouse shall confirm that they do not intend to be
    employed in Cyprus in any direct or indirect manner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I found the legislation you are talking about.

LINK

I'm not sure why TFC needed to sell Henry to the Cyprus club, the agent could do everything involving the property part, unless you are right about the sell on clause.

I also found this to be very interesting confirming that there was no intention for him to play there.
    The sale to the Cypriot club gives it the sheen of legitimacy, both giving TFC some flexibility with respect to how the transfer is handled and making the paperwork look like he's coming from a European club, not one in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Where did you get the 3.5 million pound figure? I keep reading that it's 1.5million
    I believe our share is $1.5 million. The transfer was substantially more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have read both $1.5M and GBP 1.5M ($2.3M)

jloome, can't he just get one of these visas?

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/overview

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have read both $1.5M and GBP 1.5M ($2.3M)

jloome, can't he just get one of these visas?

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/overview
    Nope. Scroll down in the eligibility list and it specifically prevents "professional sportspersons" from acquiring it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am speaking as someone who got a visa for the UK two years ago. I can't speak about the sale to Cyprus but the only reason you have a work permit hearing is if you don't have an EU passport or qualify for a visa. West Ham might have argued in that hearing that Henry was an exceptional talent (like miyaichi) or something else.

The need for a hearing shows that Henry has no EU passport and didn't qualified for a visa.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that there was a hearing makes this murkier. If I understand jloome, that maybe shouldn't have been necessary in his scenario.

Might have been easier to hire some kids to write apps in Spain

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/bu...urs-.html?_r=0
    Last edited by ensco; 12-27-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    I am speaking as someone who got a visa for the UK two years ago. I can't speak about the sale to Cyprus but the only reason you have a work permit hearing is if you don't have an EU passport or qualify for a visa. West Ham might have argued in that hearing that Henry was an exceptional talent (like miyaichi) or something else.

The need for a hearing shows that Henry has no EU passport and didn't qualified for a visa.
    It seems likely they gave Yedlin a work permit (even though he didn't meet eligibility for time spent with the national team) because he has a Latvian grandmother and would eventually get a Latvian passport. If Doneil's agent could demonstrate he would meet the passport criteria within a matter of months, it likely affected the decision and sped up his processing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    3.5 million is not correct. Totally out of line for the market, not enough upside for WHU either buying in at that position. 1.5 meets comparability with the market, other recent buy in by other clubs, inline with what they paid for Reid, your looking at 5.5 million to get someone with proven EPL experience as a defender which currently includes a premium as there are not enough to go around!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.5 million pounds is the figure that most have quoted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.5m pounds is what West Ham are paying for him now plus what ever was paid in the first place via the Cypriot club.

Or maybe the 1.5m includes the initial payment.

Transparency lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Official!

http://www.whufc.com/articles/201501...236884_4395213

West Ham United FCVerified account‏@whufc_official

NEW SIGNING: Twenty-one year old Henry will wear the No25 shirt and will go straight into Sam Allardyce's first-team squad #WelcomeDoneil

Interesting they plan to use him right away or at least be available for selection in the 18.
    Last edited by pdubs; 01-03-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    Official!

http://www.whufc.com/articles/201501...236884_4395213

West Ham United FCVerified account‏@whufc_official

NEW SIGNING: Twenty-one year old Henry will wear the No25 shirt and will go straight into Sam Allardyce's first-team squad #WelcomeDoneil

Interesting they plan to use him right away or at least be available for selection in the 18.
    Think Henry will do quite well in England. One of the key changes I think that will benefit him is a better level of officiating. He is such a physical player that the inconsistent MLS refs really hurt his game. Once he gets a feel for what is and is not allowed (and learns to keep his flailing arms out of the path of the ball) he should do quite well for himself. Certainly seems to have the work ethic and maturity to make a go of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Doneil has an advantage here that most North American players don't have - he's played 4 years at a pro-level and he is only 21.
    His experience is on par and in some cases further on, with other younger European players.

Have always heard he was a hard worker - As long as he continues on the upswing he should do well in EPL.
    He'll need to bulk up though over the next year or so if he wants to land a starting job. But as I said he's young and seems to be on par with others.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 01-03-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Doneil has an advantage here that most North American players don't have - he's player 4 years at a pro-level and he is only 21.
    His experience is on par and in some cases further on, with other younger Euorpean players.

Have always heard he was a hard worker - As long as he continues on the upswing he should do well in EPL.
    He'll need to bulk up thought over the next year or so if he wants to land a starting job. But as I said he's young and seems to be on par with other.
    This is why I don't support youth players going to college instead of signing with pro team when they turn 18.

You're slowing and even hurting your development when playing NCAA soccer than you would playing with pro league (either MLS or USL Pro).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Doneil has an advantage here that most North American players don't have - he's played 4 years at a pro-level and he is only 21.
    His experience is on par and in some cases further on, with other younger European players.

He'll need to bulk up though over the next year or so if he wants to land a starting job. But as I said he's young and seems to be on par with others.
    Bulk up? He's a monster already!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Bulk up? He's a monster already!
    seriously....bulking up is the least of his worries, especially when he has shown his strength against some of the big guys in the league I.e. Eddie Johnson.

Distribution out the back is his only flaw that I have seen, which he will need to work on.
    As long as he doesn't play RB I almost think a lot of people will be surprised at how well he is going to do. I am not one of them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    seriously....bulking up is the least of his worries, especially when he has shown his strength against some of the big guys in the league I.e. Eddie Johnson.

Distribution out the back is his only flaw that I have seen, which he will need to work on.
    As long as he doesn't play RB I almost think a lot of people will be surprised at how well he is going to do. I am not one of them.
    also positioning and decision making. not be so reckless and aggressive. and hand waves
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano