Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done Doneil, fantastic that it's confirmed and official. You earned it, and although you will be missed here, we are all so proud of you! Hopefully you are the first of many young Canadians getting this kind of chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“I love a tackle, I just wanna defend hard.” After he said tackle, a huge sideways grin came upon his face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic for Doniel. Can't wait to see him make an impact for West Ham. Hope this is the beginning of opportunities for all the good young Canadians being developed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When kits go on sale at the end of the year, I will buy a Henry one. Hoping they end up at £15 like last year.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Bulk up? He's a monster already!
    Bulk up is probably the wrong term - He can use a couple more pounds. Nothing crazy.

I'm thinking it's more of a combo a bit more frame and mass. He still looks like a boy out there. Needs to transform into a man. Not sure how else to explain it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    also positioning and decision making. not be so reckless and aggressive. and hand waves
    agree with this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really wish him well. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think that he has what it will take to play at that level. I know most people won't want to hear this.
    Last edited by Thomas; 01-03-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also positioning and decision making. not be so reckless and aggressive. and hand waves
    The reckless challenge and diving in was a thing of 2013.IMO He made a drastic improvement. Also being a 21yo aggressive CB, is not a bad thing.
    Last edited by Shway; 01-03-2015 at 08:12 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    The reckless challenge and diving in was a thing of 2013.IMO He made a drastic improvement. Also being a 21yo aggressive CB, is not a bad thing.
    you do realize Henry cost at least 4 PKs this season...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I really wish him well. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think that he has what it will take to play at that level. I know most people won't want to hear this.
    I think you will be. He has all the physical skills, and the desire and commitment. Plus he is a defender. Much easier to learn how to play defence than create offence - look at the career Ryan Nelsen had, mostly from desire and commitment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"In sum, it’s a historic day for Henry, his family and friends, Toronto FC and soccer in Canada. If you didn’t already have a Premier League team to support, you do now."
    From the end of the article about Henry's move to West Ham on the club website. I thought Tottenham was our "London EPL Club"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    "In sum, it’s a historic day for Henry, his family and friends, Toronto FC and soccer in Canada. If you didn’t already have a Premier League team to support, you do now."
    From the end of the article about Henry's move to West Ham on the club website. I thought Tottenham was our "London EPL Club"
    Haha well played. Maybe it will be Shanghai next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look for him to feature tomorrow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post
    Look for him to feature tomorrow!
    What makes you say that? From what I'm hearing they don't necessarily want to throw him in at the deep end. Will get time playing with Dev squad before any thought is given to featuring in first team. Allardyce has stated that this purchase is very much "one for the future". He is currently with the first team for training, and to get settled in. West Ham are looking for an extended run in the Cup, so putting an untested rookie into that game is very unlikely from the normally cautious Allardyce.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would kinda be funny and sad at same time if Doneil Henry ends up being the only positive thing that came out of Nelsen era (well, maybe Osorio)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio would be Winter era, no? And Henry precedes even him. Bekker, Dike, Caldwell, Richter, Bloom and Aparicio are the only ones I can think of from Nelsen's first year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    where's this from?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    Osorio would be Winter era, no? And Henry precedes even him. Bekker, Dike, Caldwell, Richter, Bloom and Aparicio are the only ones I can think of from Nelsen's first year.
    Winter was fired mid 2012. Osorio signed just before 2013 season started

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    where's this from?
    TFC just tweeted it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Skies At Night View Post
    What makes you say that? From what I'm hearing they don't necessarily want to throw him in at the deep end. Will get time playing with Dev squad before any thought is given to featuring in first team. Allardyce has stated that this purchase is very much "one for the future". He is currently with the first team for training, and to get settled in. West Ham are looking for an extended run in the Cup, so putting an untested rookie into that game is very unlikely from the normally cautious Allardyce.
    Big Sam has form for playing kids/experimental sides in the FA Cup

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25539803

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Henry on the bench for several reasons.

Tomkins is still injured, I think.
    Not sure if the club is looking to sell Reid or just let his contract run out. If they are looking to sell, they might not want to cup tie him.
    Sam always plays the kids in these matches. He had a 15 year old CB on the bench for the last cup tie West Ham played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    I wouldn't be too surprised to see Henry on the bench for several reasons.

Tomkins is still injured, I think.
    Not sure if the club is looking to sell Reid or just let his contract run out. If they are looking to sell, they might not want to cup tie him.
    Sam always plays the kids in these matches. He had a 15 year old CB on the bench for the last cup tie West Ham played.
    Dont' have the article handy as it's on my FOTMOB app, but Allardyce as stated that Reid will be sold this summer. Room for Henry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Dont' have the article handy as it's on my FOTMOB app, but Allardyce as stated that Reid will be sold this summer. Room for Henry.
    Reid is out of contract in the summer. If he is being sold, it will be now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Big Sam has form for playing kids/experimental sides in the FA Cup

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25539803
    That was more due to the lack of first team players available and a league cup semi a few days later.
    And Sam recently claimed he would only sell Reid for $20 mil this window. I think his point was that he's more valuable to west ham for the remainder of the season, than a few million quid. I only see Reid being sold if they buy an adequate replacement for him this window. So unless that happens (and likely, even if it does), Henry will be playing dev squad games for the balance of the season.
    The owners brief to Sam at beginning of season was for an extended cup run. Since they are out of the league cup already, FA Cup is all that's left. Sam will play a strong team for tonight's match, and I highly doubt Henry even makes the bench (would be nice to see, but I doubt it).

Thing is, if you listen to what some of the real itk's are saying (ie: hughsouthon, exwhuemployee, and a few others) Henry is for the "near" future, but not necessarily Reid's replacement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter was fired mid 2012. Osorio signed just before 2013 season started
    Had to go back and double check that, you are correct. Still, Henry would be more of a Winter project than a Nelsen one. Winter introduced him in 2011 to semi-regular playing time (18 apps), and he's been at 20 or so since. Though to be fair, he did appear under Preki/Dasovic as well, just limited minutes.

RPB Member
    Membership Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish Doneil all the very best. It is so exciting to see him go to a team that we will be able to watch on the TV. Can't wait to see him on the field with the West Ham team.
    I've met him several times and he really is a great guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

West Ham doesn't include Henry in the lineup or subs for today's match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe saving him for upcoming league game ? That be nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    Maybe saving him for upcoming league game ? That be nice
    The word out of the club is that they are in no rush to blood him in the first team this season. The coaching staff apparently don't think he's quite ready yet. While this transfer may be a big thing for us TC fans, in the UK he's just another prospect who might get a shot down the road. He could end up a starter or he could end up another Brian Montenegro et al (although I think BM was a loan, but same idea).