Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Defoe did NOT say he wanted to leave

"Bezbatchenko has insisted Defoe has not asked to leave Toronto and he spoke in upbeat terms about his return to the squad for pre-season training.
    "We're planning on him getting back," said Bezbatchenko in the Daily Mirror. "The player has never indicated that he doesn't want to be here. There is a community around him that has indicated in various ways that they can be here or elsewhere, but from him, no"

http://www.espnfc.us/barclays-premie...st-paid-player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The player has never indicated that he doesn't want to be here. There is a community around him that has indicated in various ways that they can be here or elsewhere, but from him, no"

That's an interesting quote

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of mine bumped into him last summer and had a great chat. They had attended the same school in England and had school friends in common, although they didn't know each other and had never met before, and Defoe seemed very comfortable and relaxed chatting with him. He was very enthusiastic about Toronto, the club and seriously impressed with the support. He was frustrated by the lack of goals and by niggling injuries, but had no other complaints. Now, of course he's not going to tell a complete stranger that he hates it and wants to leave, but my friend says he really felt he was telling the truth. There was no awkward body language, no wandering eyes etc. This was prior to the Bez coup, but based on his conversation, my friend was very surprised when all the stories came out about Defoe wanting out a short while later.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll reiterate what I and several others have posted about this in other threads:

Back in the summer, when there were strong rumours in the media about Defoe wanting to go back to England, and TFC receiving/refusing offers, Jermaine was silent. So sure, he never said he wanted to leave publicly, but he sure as hell didn't come out saying he wanted to stay. There were plenty of opportunities to dispel rumours, but none were taken. In cases like this, not saying anything is often as bad - and sometimes worse - than actually coming out and saying you want out.

Now Bez is stating that he never said he wanted to leave publicly either. Fine. But you can't lurk in the bushes when all that shit is flying around, then turn around now and act like everyone is unjustified in questioning his commitment.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    "Bezbatchenko has insisted Defoe has not asked to leave Toronto and he spoke in upbeat terms about his return to the squad for pre-season training.
    "We're planning on him getting back," said Bezbatchenko in the Daily Mirror. "The player has never indicated that he doesn't want to be here. There is a community around him that has indicated in various ways that they can be here or elsewhere, but from him, no"

http://www.espnfc.us/barclays-premie...st-paid-player
    So his Mom wants him to leave.

Lets just say that means although he hasn't said it, the person who actually calls the shots has made the call.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Bezbatchenko has insisted Defoe has not asked to leave Toronto...

He hasn't said that he wants to be here and no where else either. MLSE is an organization that keeps tight lipped about everything, so a fact someone in that organization (either player or management) hasn't uttered a particular statement doesn't mean that the opposite of that statement is true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sometimes wonder if MLSE/TFC FO think we're bunch of idiots to believe whatever they say these days?

Personally speaking, I have lost respect and trust with current TFC FO and they need to do a lot to gain that trust and respect back from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why blame TFC in this case? Clearly they have to play the political game until this resolves, which it cannot for at least two or three weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I sometimes wonder if MLSE/TFC FO think we're bunch of idiots to believe whatever they say these days?

Personally speaking, I have lost respect and trust with current TFC FO and they need to do a lot to gain that trust and respect back from me.
    Yeah, no other club does this. They typically state out loud if they want to keep a player or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post

i agree with you i call it the BEZ spin or dance...the LABA and HENRY crap and now the DEFOE bs,i rather him jus say no comment and move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opening Day poster.....no JD, clearly not part of the plan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    Opening Day poster.....no JD, clearly not part of the plan

lol...i think he is hiding in the back..

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's just negotiation and ensuring you try to improve your position as much as possible. Essentially saying to would-be buyers that TFC is ok with not selling. They don't HAVE to move him.

A second goal of this stance is to ensure that they don't back themselves into a corner with Defoe. If they can't sell him... either they don't get their price or people get concerned about his salary demands or health... they will have to have him on the team. It's a lot easier to let someone back in when the door isn't closed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a cool poster actually

EDIT: Is that fan made or from the league/teams/TSN ? Its using the now old MLS logo.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 12-19-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is nothing but damage control. I imagine there's no interest to buy Defoe, so now they're trying to rebuild the public's opinion of him since he'll be back next season. Also, if he never wanted to leave, than why were they entertaining offers back in the summer? You don't put a ton of effort into bringing in a 31 year old striker in January with the intention of flipping him for a profit in the summer. And so why would you listen to offers to said striker whom you've built your marketing campaign around if he doesn't even want to leave?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    It's just negotiation and ensuring you try to improve your position as much as possible. Essentially saying to would-be buyers that TFC is ok with not selling. They don't HAVE to move him.

A second goal of this stance is to ensure that they don't back themselves into a corner with Defoe. If they can't sell him... either they don't get their price or people get concerned about his salary demands or health... they will have to have him on the team. It's a lot easier to let someone back in when the door isn't closed.
    ^^this is all standard practice in the transfer market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Defoe not asking to leave - loyalty bonuses are a common part of contracts. Basically - if the team sells him without him asking to go, they have to pay him a chunk of cash. If he asks to go, the loyalty bonus is gone. This is why Rooney did not ask to be sold when he fell out with Fergie.

No idea if Defoe has a clause like that - but they are common so it wouldn't be a surprise.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do we need another thread on this ? ...

and why is there a slash between KICK and OFF ? is it one of those 'the slash represents the upward direction the league is moving in' things ?
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The General wants to be here and that is where my focus is, on those that want to fight for the badge.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe has not said he doesn't want to leave.

Which strikes me as the more interesting parsing of his non-statements.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    The General wants to be here and that is where my focus is, on those that want to fight for the badge.
    We get it, you love the guy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the Toronto Star "Defoe has said he likes Toronto and never asked publicly to leave.". Key word....publicly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    From the Toronto Star "Defoe has said he likes Toronto and never asked publicly to leave.". Key word....publicly.
    It's not a quote, so it's probably just hyperbolic. If they had something suggesting he'd asked privately they'd be printing that shit everywhere. What with Cathal Kelly being so bored, and all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    Do we need another thread on this ? ...

and why is there a slash between KICK and OFF ? is it one of those 'the slash represents the upward direction the league is moving in' things ?
    Hilarious!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    So his Mom wants him to leave.

Lets just say that means although he hasn't said it, the person who actually calls the shots has made the call.
    ouch !........sad but prob true , unfortunately that means and I and his mom have something in common , who knew ?
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm sure the guy has a influential crew in the UK and is recognized in the streets of London as someone with big influence. That lets him roll with some big players on the London scene.

In Toronto I doubt he has that. He probably feels very isolated.
    The whole Drake thing - I bet he saw that as an opportunity for whatever it is he and his community does to explode in the North American scene

Let's be real here - Being a TFC player is not high profile. It's 3rd...even 4th rate in a city that has 3 major North American sports teams.
    Of course his community wants him to go back. There is more gain for them (and him) where he is recognized.

And he won't come out and say he wants to leave. It'll hurt his brand. Especially if him moving back falls through. It also leaves the door open for him to come back when he is 38 and is no longer a London draw.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 12-20-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I've said in the other thread, the important thing is he never said he does want to be here. Which would put an end to all this crap.

End of year, all the players who wanted to be here, said so in the exit interviews.

It's not what he's said, but what he's not willing to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he's here next year, and plays like he wants to be - I'll support him. If he leaves before next year, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    If he's here next year, and plays like he wants to be - I'll support him. If he leaves before next year, I won't lose any sleep over it.
    ^
    Our thoughts on this subject too.
    J&M

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, he's gone. He tried to leave in August as well.