Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question for the group -
    After seeing how well Defoe performed in MLS in half a season - who here thinks that if he were to get a starting role on an EPL, he would be successful enough to justify $18mil.
    Not saying he would tear the league up, but could get 8-10 goals in the final half of the EPL season. The teams who are linked to him are relegation teams just looking for a quick fix to stay up. Those goals at $18mil - is it worth it for a chance to stay up?
    Last edited by jabbronies; 01-09-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Esteban Granero. Bought for 7m and on 70k a week. Sold to Sociedad for an undisclosed fee rumored to be in the region of 4m pounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Question for the group -
    After seeing how well Defoe performed in MLS in half a season - who here thinks that if he were to get a starting role on an EPL, he would be successful enough to justify $18mil.
    Not saying he would tear the league up, but could get 8-10 goals in the final half of the EPL season. The teams who are linked to him are relegation teams just looking for a quick fix to stay up. Those goals at $18mil - is it worth it?
    First of all, I'm not sure he scores 8-10 right now not being in game shape. We saw how rusty he looked last year when he tried to make that comeback. I think that is part of the calculus teams are making. If he has a bedding in period at all the costs really start to look onerous.

But assuming he does, personally I think Leicester and Burnley are going to drop regardless. They would both be nuts to spend that money. Leicester is already stupid to spend what they have on Kramaric, although he's at least young enough and has a market already for him when they need to sell him at the end of the season. I would more see teams like Sunderland or West Brom being targets. They always seem to be on the cusp, but tend to hold on. For teams like that that have, historically, a little more certainty about staying up he might be worth that money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Esteban Granero. Bought for 7m and on 70k a week. Sold to Sociedad for an undisclosed fee rumored to be in the region of 4m pounds.
    I sorta kinda see that, but sorta kinda don't. That is too much salary for him but he's 26 ish, still has some potential, and doesn't have an injury history. I don't think he is very comparable.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ I don't think he 'wanted to play' on his comeback after injury.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I sorta kinda see that, but sorta kinda don't. That is too much salary for him but he's 26 ish, still has some potential, and doesn't have an injury history. I don't think he is very comparable.
    Sociedad paid the money for him after he injured cruciate ligaments while on loan with them and was out for 6 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    ^^^ I don't think he 'wanted to play' on his comeback after injury.
    I got that sense when he spoiled a clear scoring opportunity given to him in one of the games on his return. Not saying he missed on purpose, but it looked as if he just didn't care that he did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    I got that sense when he spoiled a clear scoring opportunity given to him in one of the games on his return. Not saying he missed on purpose, but it looked as if he just didn't care that he did.
    I thought he looked shocked. People playing on that level don't like to miss, period.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sociedad paid the money for him after he injured cruciate ligaments while on loan with them and was out for 6 months.
    Thought it was before. OK that makes him more comparable. Still he's younger.

Well, I guess we'll see if Anzhi or Real Sociedad get involved for Defoe!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoes training stint with spurs is likely being done to demonstrate that he is fit and has no lingering effects from the injury and the surgery. if he can show that, he'll be snapped up and we'll get a transfer fee. If not, its a loan at best. lets not forget, a year ago he was still playing for England and has a big reputation there. Steve Bruce said "half the clubs in the Premier League are after him"
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-09-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Defoes training stint with spurs is likely being done to demonstrate that he is fit and has no lingering effects from the injury and the surgery. if he can show that, he'll be snapped up and well get a transfer fee. If not, its a loan at best. lets not forget, a year ago he was still playing for England and has a big reputation there. Steve Bruce said "half the clubs in the Premier League are after him"
    How does that work? Who is going to see him train? How does training really tell you if a guy is match fit?

Are we pursuing strategies to protect exec egos, or to do what is best for the club?

The risk is what it is. We'll see what happens now. I will be pleased to be wrong, if in fact I am.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On the plus side, at least he had "permission" to train with a club during the offseason and TFC told us about it before there was a picture of him training.

That's progress isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ensco, I think if he can't train free of injury with Spurs development players people will know. If I were Steve Bruce, I'd say : can I have someone take a look. Lots of favours owed various ways there - a real old boys network. The question it will answer is"has he fully recovered so he can train freely." If he has, they know his abilities better than you and me.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wonder if the transfer fee is somehow worked into a Friendly tour with a higher share of the proceeds coming TFC's way. I'm not sure Hull or QPR would sell out the BMO MegaSportPlex but that would be an interesting way to solve the fee issue.

That would only leave what Defoe thinks a fair wage would be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The asking price has been cut to £3m according to the Daily Mirror.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    On the plus side, at least he had "permission" to train with a club during the offseason and TFC told us about it before there was a picture of him training.

That's progress isn't it?
    Every little bit helps...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The asking price has been cut to £3m according to the Daily Mirror.
    link? That's insanely low... Defoe worth atleast £4m

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does that work? Who is going to see him train? How does training really tell you if a guy is match fit?

Are we pursuing strategies to protect exec egos, or to do what is best for the club?

The risk is what it is. We'll see what happens now. I will be pleased to be wrong, if in fact I am.
    I'd bet dollars to donuts he's gonzo.

Guy is a world-class finisher, even at 32, and those are rare. Someone will pony up enough. I suspect it'll be Hull for ahout 3.5million pounds, with Toronto eating part of his salary to get him down to about 45K-60K a week (he's on 76K per week right now with all compensation included).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Guy is a world-class finisher, even at 32, and those are rare. Someone will pony up enough. I suspect it'll be Hull for ahout 3.5million pounds, with Toronto eating part of his salary to get him down to about 45K-60K a week (he's on 76K per week right now with all compensation included).
    sounds about right, although is think Defoe will have to eat something on the contract. £4.5 million is break even if you amortize the transfer fee over the life of the contract, so something close to that will be agreed on. I'll miss seeing him play, that's for sure

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Well, that is the same math as TFC assigning the contract and getting no transfer fee. Which would still be more than I expect.

When strikers lose that tiny extra bit of speed, it's over. For every Lampard or Super Pippo, there are a hundred elite forwards that are finished at 33.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to see TFC take a loss on this at all. I know there is a whole bunch of crap surrounding this but the basic way I see it he signed a contract and if he wants out he needs to pay a penalty for leaving the contract early. Why should TFC take any loss to let him out of his contract. Make him show up for training camp or take him to court for breach of contract. I have a mortgage for 5 years....I can't just up and leave and go to another bank without consequences. I signed the bloody paper and I am responsible even if my mommy worked out a deal with another bank and doesn't like the one I am with. Whatever....the sooner this is over the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like contracts don't mean much in this era. If a player wants out it's over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^hahaha

Sigh. We do we alone have to live in lala land?

This isn't Robin van Persie or someone that others will make their best offer for at the deadline regardless of needs. Other teams have already made their moves. We are already the only person left at the dance, ex maybe QPR. Who I am sure will up their loan offer a bit.
    I have to disagree. Defoe is exactly the type of player that mid to lower table teams will take a punt on. Especially the lower table ones that are flirting with relegation. Regardless of his injury status and age - he's a proven Premier League goal scorer and teams will take a the risk on that. It's a desperation move - but it happens.

It's his salary and length of contract that will be the issue. If he doesn't lower his demands, he will be back - unless MLSE continues to foot some of his salary to get him out of here (which is distinctly possible).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Seriously. The transfer fee really isn't out of whack. It's clearly the salary.
    And contract length. At 32 he's looking at a year to year rolling contract, or a 2 year at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QPR were able to get rid other players who were vastly overpaid. Thing with Cesar is that nobody was committing that type of money for a goalkeeper. The market for goalies and strikers is vastly different. Apples to oranges.
    Some players will sit on the bench to take top dollar. Others will take a pay cut to play regular football. Totally depends on the player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Defoes training stint with spurs is likely being done to demonstrate that he is fit and has no lingering effects from the injury and the surgery. if he can show that, he'll be snapped up and we'll get a transfer fee. If not, its a loan at best. lets not forget, a year ago he was still playing for England and has a big reputation there. Steve Bruce said "half the clubs in the Premier League are after him"
    It's most likely because he is an ex-player that left on good terms and they are letting him train with them to help him get his fitness up. Happens all that time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that is the same math as TFC assigning the contract and getting no transfer fee. Which would still be more than I expect.

When strikers lose that tiny extra bit of speed, it's over. For every Lampard or Super Pippo, there are a hundred elite forwards that are finished at 33.
    Better for TFC to eat larger part of his salary in exchange for a larger transfer fee as we get a percentage of the transfer fee back in Garber bucks. I'm sure Bez is not oblivious to that fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I don't want to see TFC take a loss on this at all. I know there is a whole bunch of crap surrounding this but the basic way I see it he signed a contract and if he wants out he needs to pay a penalty for leaving the contract early. Why should TFC take any loss to let him out of his contract. Make him show up for training camp or take him to court for breach of contract. I have a mortgage for 5 years....I can't just up and leave and go to another bank without consequences. I signed the bloody paper and I am responsible even if my mommy worked out a deal with another bank and doesn't like the one I am with. Whatever....the sooner this is over the better.
    Because if they play hardball, he'll show up for training, play in games, and do everything that is contractually required of him. And we'll see the Defoe that we saw at the end of last season, who will dog it and won't contribute to the success of the team, but will hold up a DP slot and a decent chunk of the cap. Not to mention his "injuries" will likely flair up from time to time and he'll have to be "treated" by his medical team back in London.

It's a fantasy to think that TFC can play hardball and end up with fit and fired up Defoe scored 20+ goals next year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Paul Beirne's Twitter (he now works for Brighton & Hove Albion in the Championship):

David Southgate ‏@DavidSouthgate Jan 8
    @Paulbeirne how about using your Toronto influence to sign Jermaine Defoe for #bhafc

Paul Beirne ‏@Paulbeirne Jan 8
    @DavidSouthgate trust me...there are zero clubs lining up for that contract. Great player, still has quality, but not at that price