Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    From Paul Beirne's Twitter (he now works for Brighton & Hove Albion in the Championship):
    that quote is hilarious.......and closer to the truth , than what the Defoe lovers here seem to think.......and horrible for TFC . There has to be knowledgeable people in PL that actually know his true diva personality and don't want any part of him.....but then again there were some that thought he could make a difference to the national team ........English strikers unfortunately so over paid and quite average . As he has shown .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Because if they play hardball, he'll show up for training, play in games, and do everything that is contractually required of him. And we'll see the Defoe that we saw at the end of last season, who will dog it and won't contribute to the success of the team, but will hold up a DP slot and a decent chunk of the cap. Not to mention his "injuries" will likely flair up from time to time and he'll have to be "treated" by his medical team back in London.

It's a fantasy to think that TFC can play hardball and end up with fit and fired up Defoe scored 20+ goals next year.
    if he does that, he's screwed in world football forever. I just don't see it. The first half of the season, he'll be playing for a transfer in the summer window and will put up the best numbers he can. In fact, next season he is likely to be really good. It's a Defoe who has no hope of going back to the BPL that we should be worried about - when he is 33 or 34. Will he become Henry? Or Earnshaw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    that quote is hilarious.......and closer to the truth , than what the Defoe lovers here seem to think.......and horrible for TFC . There has to be knowledgeable people in PL that actually know his true diva personality and don't want any part of him.....but then again there were some that thought he could make a difference to the national team ........English strikers unfortunately so over paid and quite average . As he has shown .
    Everywhere he has played, Defoe has scored. Overpaid? Yes. Average? No way, particularly in the BPL where he can come off the bench incredibly effectively. I'd take him over Falcao right now. And Torres. To name two prominent non English strikers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better for TFC to eat larger part of his salary in exchange for a larger transfer fee as we get a percentage of the transfer fee back in Garber bucks. I'm sure Bez is not oblivious to that fact.
    This is one of those things where I doubt the league's sincerity. If the fee was the same for the player coming in and going out not only would it act as a tax on the club, it would also provide a means to circumvent the salary cap.

It's original intention was to avoid MLS teams taking all their sale proceeds on internally produced players and spending them in the transfer market. The "reinvestment" they talk about is hogwash, unverifiable and easily bypassed. Needless to say the usefulness of the rule as originally explained has largely been outlived.

TBT we have no idea how the league handles most of this stuff because the rules are embarrassingly private and often broken on a whim.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Every little bit helps...
    Two steps forward to make up for the "record transfer offer" of $11M a few months ago.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tottenham rumours are interesting.

Spurs could fill up the BMO Multisportmegaplex on a friendly or series of friendlies. If they play that game "for free" that could be used to offset the "transfer" fee and Spurs wouldn't be out of pocket for any of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co....ail/story.html

Paper above is claiming that TFC has dropped its asking price for Defoe to 3 mil pounds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Tottenham rumours are interesting.

Spurs could fill up the BMO Multisportmegaplex on a friendly or series of friendlies. If they play that game "for free" that could be used to offset the "transfer" fee and Spurs wouldn't be out of pocket for any of it.
    They'd be out of pocket whatever they would have gotten playing that night in some other city. iirc these appearance fees are about $1M a game (much less than 2-3x that for Man Utd or Liverpool) which is rounding error here.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    They'd be out of pocket whatever they would have gotten playing that night in some other city. iirc these appearance fees are about $1M a game (much less than 2-3x that for Man Utd or Liverpool) which is rounding error here.
    Yes, opportunity cost but I don't know if they could bypass Toronto. When Defoe signed here, there was this 3-4 year partnership announced with Spurs. Merchandise, events, etc. Sounds like they would be coming anyways.

I'm just suggesting that if they don't have (or want to use) the capital to pay a transfer fee off this year's books, they could wiggle a little on the friendly side. I don't think they wiggle $3M worth but just enough that TFC is saving some face.

Kind of like the CFL suggesting that they could put a few Grey Cups in the BMO Megasportsplex to offset the $10M share that MLSE is looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post

Paper above is claiming that TFC has dropped its asking price for Defoe to 3 mil pounds.
    Love the fact that you follow the Hertfordshire Observer for transfer news! Maybe Defoe is going to Royston?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post

It's just parroting a Mirror story from yesterday with the usual absence of any sources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Love the fact that you follow the Hertfordshire Observer for transfer news! Maybe Defoe is going to Royston?
    Reddit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get where you are coming from, but technically his contract obliges him to play for Toronto FC. It does not oblige him to play like he gives a damn. And unfortunately - the players have the power here, and often exert it.
    Then he rides the bench. Ruins any good public image of himself. and ruins whatever left of his career that he wanted to pursue by letting his playing time deteriorate and unofficially forced into retirement.
    The man is being paid 6 million per year or whatever it is, he needs to learn some damn respect.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW,

John Molinaro @JohnMolinaro · 4h 4 hours ago Take tabloid story about #TFC lowering Defoe price with a big grain of salt. I'm told #TFC committed to not selling him off cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never place any stock in the Daily Mail anyway. Pure rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talked about him going to Hull on MOTD tonight. Said after Hulls performance and the injuries they suffered today, the price of Defoe would be going up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everywhere he has played, Defoe has scored. Overpaid? Yes. Average? No way, particularly in the BPL where he can come off the bench incredibly effectively. I'd take him over Falcao right now. And Torres. To name two prominent non English strikers.
    I think your'e judging a few maybe 3 years ago ....they didn't even think he would help the not so talented MNT . Falcao ? seriously ..I'm not South American , much more British...and I would take Falcao in a heartbeat . simply for his skill , play making , and HEART , 2 of 3 which Defoe has lost . Torres and Defoe now there's a ineffective pairing .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe is the best readily available striker in a market where striker is seen as the key to millions of pounds. The pressure on somebody to buy him is likely moving upwards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Defoe is the best readily available striker in a market where striker is seen as the key to millions of pounds. The pressure on somebody to buy him is likely moving upwards.
    I can find five posts from the last week in August saying the same thing. He did nothing himself to improve his attractiveness since then. Is the market really that much crazier in January?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can find five posts from the last week in August saying the same thing. He did nothing himself to improve his attractiveness since then. Is the market really that much crazier in January?
    The market changes with who is available and the situation teams are in. In August, almost every striker has a pricetag and is available. Not so in January.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The market changes with who is available and the situation teams are in. In August, almost every striker has a pricetag and is available. Not so in January.
    I can see that point.

I disagree in this case but we will find out soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the market really that much crazier in January?
    Yes, clubs who buy in January pay over the odds because they are desperate and very few players are available. You see players like Bony for £30 million, Carroll for £35 and Torres for £50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd bet dollars to donuts he's gonzo.

Guy is a world-class finisher, even at 32, and those are rare. Someone will pony up enough. I suspect it'll be Hull for ahout 3.5million pounds, with Toronto eating part of his salary to get him down to about 45K-60K a week (he's on 76K per week right now with all compensation included).
    Well if you look at it that way... say TFC cover 20k per week (in the middle of your range) 20 x 52 * 3 = ~4.2M ... meaning we'd effectively be giving him away for nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Thanks for the article, it was a really good read.

Got to love QPR though.

Last edited by Richard; 01-11-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't see "Stay in Toronto" as an option on any of the betting sites, so maybe the bookies are getting confused and there's actually a decent chance he'll stay now. Crystal Palace are still favourites at 7/4 FWIW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by themodelcitizen View Post
    Can't see "Stay in Toronto" as an option on any of the betting sites, so maybe the bookies are getting confused and there's actually a decent chance he'll stay now. Crystal Palace are still favourites at 7/4 FWIW.
    Still on SkyBet. 8/1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The January market is totally different than the summer one. It is a sellers market in January. Less players are available - and there is a healthy dose of desperation in many buyers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Gotta say, that is great data that bolsters the case that someone out there will do something stupid with Defoe.

I'm sticking with my view, but I am a lot less sure of it now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe he can sign for Harlow Town....although we are top of the League right now!!!