Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dwayne de Rosario appreciation thread

Yes, there was some water under the bridge with TFC in the past, I'm glad that he came back to play as a Red for one more season. I'm sure his (and our) regret is that he never led the Reds to an MLS Cup.

I wanted to post this to honour the great side of DeRo (or D-Ro as some Americans call him).

• Star player for the Toronto Lynx USL side
    • CMNT hero and tireless booster of our national side.
    • 4x MLS Cup winner
    • 6x MLS Best XI member
    • Over 100 MLS goals
    • TFC's all-time goal-scoring leader
    • Former team captain for TFC
    • Carried TFC on his back for the "Miracle in Montreal"

Winning all-star goal against West Ham at BMO Field, 2008:

Great goal for SJ:

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2004 MLS goal of the year:

2001 MLS Cup-winning goal:

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miracle in Montreal:

A goal for Canada:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure we're saying goodbye to him just yet. I think he'll remain with the club in some capacity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best Canadian players ever.

It was a shame he didn't get more playing time last season. He deserved it and in all honesty it would have improved the team.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I'm not sure we're saying goodbye to him just yet. I think he'll remain with the club in some capacity.
    I want to believe this. If he'd like to stay with the club in some capacity and if we could use his expertise, I'd be all for it. It's a bit of a shame that he couldn't have ended his final season with Toronto on a high note, but what can ya do? Definitely one of the best players from this country who could kick a ball.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The FO should do a one day contract for him on home opener and let him take a bow, then he should retire w/position in the FO.

None of this will happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ We did it for Ottawa for Alfredson, but that was a special case where the player had spent almost his entire career. I don't know if he spent enough time in a Toronto uniform for that. I'm thinking it would be more appropriate to do something like this at the CMNT level during the Gold Cup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we actually know if he plans in retiring at this point?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

man.. he scored some goals.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think he'll retire, I think he'll try for a walk on deal somewhere first. Then he'll be "injured" and decide that at his age it's time to pack it up due to the need to heal. This will allow some face-saving (he's one of the best players in league history and this should be a bigger deal). Then he can move into coaching. He has the sort of single-minded-pigheaded-but-often-right" mentality of which many soccer coaches are built.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he deserves a sticker on the wall of honour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm totally all for a De-Ro sticker at BMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo's name alongside Dichio and Brennan, I'm for it.I really wish he could've reached 100 appearances...I hope he can at least get a one year contract with somebody.Even if it's Ottawa or Edmonton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When he signed the first time - that is one of, if not the most exciting moments I've had as a TFC fan. I'd rank that up there with Dichio's first goal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pure class.....................
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best TFC player ever, loved watching him play. Have the shirt, too. Very sad those jerks in the front office screwed up his Celtic trial, he deserved our support in that. This year, he made a difference in several games when given a chance - like the Chicago win (draw) where the team energy, tempo and skill changed the moment he stepped on the pitch. Always gave his all for club and country. Hopefully we have not seen the last of him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget stickers at BMO, the guy deserves some sort of lifetime acknowledgement in the banners on this board. Dero was a keyboard destroying machine for RPB, in his first stint:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...highlight=dero
    Last edited by ensco; 12-21-2014 at 08:56 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He definitely deserves to be on the wall of honor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's an idea. Just cover up Brennan's name with Dero's and it might add some legitimacy to the wall of 'honor'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is the reason I got hooked to TFC and soccer, not being a huge soccer fan, I got bored one afternoon, I opened the TV, the game was on CBC and immediately noticed DeRo since he was the only player I barely knew and shortly after he scored, and TFC ended up winning the game. The same thing happened again next week, I cant recall if DeRo scored or not but I was glued to watching him, I was only 10 years old at the time and this was the first time I felt passion for soccer. I slowly began to watch more games and like all fans that year I was determined we would make the playoffs. I began showing a lot of my friends TFC videos (specifically the miracle in Montreal) trying to convince them to become fans but those last minutes collapses did not help the cause in 2009. Once I became emotionally hurt buy missing the playoffs because of that unmentionable game, somehow I was hooked, the next year I bought a DeRo shirt, I went to my first game, and gradually kept going to more games, and since 2013 I have been a SSH. Thanks for dragging me into the fire DeRo I love you

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

His commitment to country and his charity work cannot be questioned. In a world where sports stars and celebrities disappoint us all the time, there are many many positives to take from DeRo's career as a player. Hope his career in management or wherever he lands offers him the potential to continue to make a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think DeRo has too much pride to retire like this. I think he will look to play one more year before hanging up his boots for good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I think DeRo has too much pride to retire like this. I think he will look to play one more year before hanging up his boots for good.
    The man deserves more than what he has as far as closure atm. In an interview around the time of the Landon parade, he mentioned how he expects something similar. No doubt he deserves it. He is Canadian soccer ( our Landon without the sabbaticals ) and up there with Landon as an mls legend. Unfortunately, this league doesn't value the contributions of Canadians.

Tfc needs to celebrate him if mls will not. Where is his video feature. The other Canadians teams should back up the support.m

Some say Landon has all the pride in the world by leaving as a champion... But at age 32? Dero was a year older than him when he won League MVP. Dero could have left the game then, or the next year when he had that bad injury. But what did he do? He came back here to fight for us.

Whatever, our guy fought until his body gave up, to do what he loved to do. There guy can't get away from the game soon enough.
    I chalk it up as a win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad he got the chance to come back and put history right for himself, and for TFC fans.

However, I hope he retires now with grace. The guy demonstrated this past season that his body is worn down from the years, and he's a pale shadow of what he was even at the end of his previous TFC stint. I never like to see one-time stars continue to play well past their useful years. It always strikes me as a little sad, even if understandable.

Of course, if he decides to lace them up again, then good luck to him. I'm glad the bad feelings with Toronto have been healed.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He was still useful off the bench, though no longer up for starting. His passion for the city and the team are amazing and I will always have time for him. It's too bad he was run out of town the first time around.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    He was still useful off the bench, though no longer up for starting. His passion for the city and the team are amazing and I will always have time for him. It's too bad he was run out of town the first time around.
    my feelings exactly.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 12-28-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, but it's just kind of sad to see a league legend reduced to spending a few years as a marginal bench player.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is on the roster today for Canada vs Iceland friendly.. It was sad to see 'unattached' beside his name and not 'TorontoFC'... I miss our Dero

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would guess that he was offered something, but turned it down to pursue other opportunities.
    WE DID IT!