Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The market in North America won't support a relegation system.

Could you imagine RBNY or Columbus being relegated? Their draw would go from 0 fans per game to -1000 fans.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 - There will never be promotion or relegation in Major League Soccer. Too many reasons to list, but just trust me on this.

2 - I'm pretty sure Montreal is gonna get the nod for expansion over Vancouver. Van City just can't get their act together with the stadium and ownership, while Montreal has almost all of its ducks in a row.

3 - A soccer league with 24 teams seems excessive, especially when you consider how long the season is at the moment with only 14 clubs. MLS should stick to the FIFA guidelines and cap the league at 20 teams.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    1 - There will never be promotion or relegation in Major League Soccer. Too many reasons to list, but just trust me on this.

2 - I'm pretty sure Montreal is gonna get the nod for expansion over Vancouver. Van City just can't get their act together with the stadium and ownership, while Montreal has almost all of its ducks in a row.

3 - A soccer league with 24 teams seems excessive, especially when you consider how long the season is at the moment with only 14 clubs. MLS should stick to the FIFA guidelines and cap the league at 20 teams.
    2- I don't know. Even though the Impact have their own stadium I'm sure that Garber was looking at Van when it was announced that the Caps would move into BC Place and that they'll redo the roof for the Winter Olympics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I should point out that I'm not ruling out a Vancouver franchise altogether, it's just that Montreal has a much more unified vision and the resources in place now. One good thing about the prospect of Vancouver coming in next is that it would undoubtedly create too much clamour in Montreal for Saputo to do the same.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 07-24-2008 at 03:05 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-To point out some misconceptions. The ownership in Vancouver, Greg Kerfoot, has always been in place and is not a problem. An addition of Steve Nash to boot.

-The retractable roof on BC Place isn't intended to be finished by the Olympics, but will be by early '11 in time for the MLS season. The rest of the huge refurbishment will be; new seats, corporate boxes, lavatories, concession stands, cosmetics, and the entire exterior will be redesigned.

-The Whitecaps will be moving into BC Place only temporarily until their stadium is built. The stadium owners, Pavco, said they will assist in making the stadium 'soccer' friendly.

-Their waterfront location, which the Caps own and where they want to build the stadium, is tied up with the Port(federal). The Port are being dicks about it and want more money. The City of Vancouver have already approved the stadium.

-The passion for the sport in Vancouver is huge and always has been, and is played year round. The Whitecaps are currently the longest running team in North America, which has got to say something.

BC Place will look like this -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Kerfoot himself is in place; but the question is whether or not the 40 million dollars needed for the franchise fee is.

Also, the proposal of putting the stadium at the waterfront has been completely nixed by the feds. The Whitecaps are now considering a venue outside the Vancouver city core from what I last heard. Can't remember the name of the town, but it doesn't actually sound like a bad concession.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Nash may or may not have confirmed (or denied) to me tonight that Vancouver will be in MLS.

Rudi: "Steve, so what about Vancouver in MLS?"
    Steve Nash: "What about it?"
    Rudi: "Oh, so that's how it's going to be, eh?"
    Steve Nash: ...
    Rudi (realizing that line of the conversation is going nowhere): "Your brother pretty much put us out of the CONCACAF Champions League with one kick."
    Steve Nash: "Haha... yeah sorry about that."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Ha! I stand corrected if true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with just home and away, that would be a long-ass season, when you factor in tourneys, international breaks, etc. 48 league games, plus SuperLiga, CCL, USOC/Voy Cup, etc. Even if the length of the season expanded from early March to end of November, those poor bastards would still be playing 3 games a week for weeks on end, not just once in a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garber is not going beyond 18, then his plans will be to develop an MLS-2... then eventually promotion/relegation between MLS-1 and MLS-2.

Blatter has already stated that if a country wants to host a world cup, their domestic league must be developed and that includes a system of relegation. He gave Australia such warning re their bid to host.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Does Australia have relegation?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by profit89 View Post
    Garber is not going beyond 18, then his plans will be to develop an MLS-2... then eventually promotion/relegation between MLS-1 and MLS-2.

Blatter has already stated that if a country wants to host a world cup, their domestic league must be developed and that includes a system of relegation. He gave Australia such warning re their bid to host.
    Garber and the USSF aren't going to worry too much about these kind of pronouncements. Blatter spews almost daily. Just this month, he thinks Cristiano Ronaldo is a slave, he wants a 6 of 11 rule for domestic leagues, he wants....blah blah blah

FIFA are an unruly, corrupt bunch - you host a World Cup with (i) great facilities, and (ii) boatloads of "blandishments" for the delegates.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-24-2008 at 07:04 AM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal will be the next Canadian team in the MLS.....yup...you heard it hear first.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Significant decisions regarding MLS expansion with be made today at the MLS Board of Governors (i.e.: the owners and senior execs.) meetings held here in Toronto.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    ^ Does Australia have relegation?
    no...

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Steve Nash was partying it up with the MLS guys yesterday...
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys let's be realistic here, both Montreal and Vancouver have issues from a US perspective:

(i) their ownership groups look nothing like MLSE in terms of money/influence
    (ii) the experience of the Expos and Grizzlies has to be worrying to the league decision-makers
    (iii) those cities do nothing for MLS in terms of US TV ratings, which post-beckham is all these guys think about

Of course they'd both be successful, but it's not a given that they're next in line. There are huge US MSAs missing from the MLS roster (eg Miami, Atlanta), plus half of the NY MSA is still 5x the Montreal or Vancouver markets
    Last edited by ensco; 07-24-2008 at 09:36 AM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(i) their ownership groups look nothing like MLSE in terms of money/influence
    The Saputo family has been talking to George Gillette, I'm pretty sure if he can handle investing in an storied EPL franchise...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with 24 teams you can schedule home and away within your conference and one game against all opponents from the other conference for a 34 game schedule. Nothing outrageous about that. As for the talent pool, soccer is a worldwide market place and adding teams will not necessarily water down the talent. Raising the cap (which will happen in 09) and allowing a few more imports solves this problem. This is isn't like the NFL where the only place to find players is the States.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyeddo View Post
    The Saputo family has been talking to George Gillette, I'm pretty sure if he can handle investing in an storied EPL franchise...
    If Saint George is the controlling shareholder, I withdraw my comment as it relates to Montreal. If it's 50/50 or Joey Saputo is the controlling shareholder, my comment stands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Kerfoot himself is in place; but the question is whether or not the 40 million dollars needed for the franchise fee is.

Also, the proposal of putting the stadium at the waterfront has been completely nixed by the feds. The Caps are now considering a venue outside the Vancouver city core from what I last heard. Can't remember the name of the town, but it doesn't actually sound like a bad concession.
    The last anyone has heard about affording an expansion fee was a report by the National Post saying both Vancouver and Montreal are assumed to have the money in place. With the stadium being paid for by Kerfoot, I'd see Nash and his investors paying the expansion fee. I guess we'll hear soon but I don't think the fee is the issue at hand.

The Waterfront Stadium hasn't been nixed by the Feds or rather the VF Port Authority. It's in negotiation still. The problem with the Port is it's federal land but doesn't have a government minister and has protection built around their operations to shut out political influence or interference. The issue is, Kerfoot owns rail yard land and they want to swap some of it for some of the Port's land. The value of the swap is the problem and the Port isn't playing nice about it. Senator Larry Campbell and former Mayor of Vancouver has asked to mediate. The City has already approved the stadium.

The Caps have repeatedly said their focus is on having the downtown waterfront location built. Surrey, in Metro Vancouver, has offered them to move out to their city, which has rail access, but no word on that yet. There was mention that the club wants to build a training centre in Surrey though.
    Last edited by Vindaloo; 07-24-2008 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary Canuck View Post
    Even with 24 teams you can schedule home and away within your conference and one game against all opponents from the other conference for a 34 game schedule. Nothing outrageous about that. As for the talent pool, soccer is a worldwide market place and adding teams will not necessarily water down the talent. Raising the cap (which will happen in 09) and allowing a few more imports solves this problem. This is isn't like the NFL where the only place to find players is the States.
    This here pretty much sums up what I was going to write, saves me a few sentences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by profit89 View Post
    24 teams is just stupid. Max 18-20.

Instead they should be looking to implement a deal with USL re promotion/relegation.
    couldn't agree more with this....20 teams in MLS 1, tops!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I promise you if montreal gets an MLS team they win the league before we do. With MLSE as your owner you will never win shit. I mean what do gillete or saputo care if they have to drop a couple mill so long as they win. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most of the successful teams in Europe owned by wealthy billionaires who just want to see the team win and don't care about financial returns?