Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Krisztian Nemeth sounding off on his Facebook about his transfer, giving SKC both barrels. Seems like things went badly wrong at the end.

https://m.facebook.com/KrisztianNeme...72918199483373

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say he unloaded on SKC. It just seems that SKC are under a lot more financial constraints than I thought. That, or the club FO is really cheap. Apparently he would have stayed at 1/3 of the salary he's playing for with his new club, but SKC still didn't want to keep him on. I have a bad feeling that SKC is going to be a bottom-feeder this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.coloradorapids.com/post/2...ignated-player

Well, well, well. It's been a miserable offseason for the Rapids, but colour me impressed here. 27 years old and coming off 2 straight Golden Boot-winning seasons in the Swiss league. 22 goals in 31 appearances last year, and 2 in 5 so far this year. I wonder what the transfer fee was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how I missed it but holly crap LAG made a lot of signings this off season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not sure how I missed it but holly crap LAG made a lot of signings this off season.
    A lot of old guys too. Part of me wants to be the guy that predicted the Galaxy would miss the playoffs before the season began, but then I'd be betting against Bruce, and I'm not sure I'm willing to do that just yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vermes' rebuttal to Nemeth's statement is that he believes it was more from the agent than the player, no indications of complaints. Vermes also said that all terms were agreed upon except for the money.

Take your pick I guess.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no point paying a Hungarian DP money, and not much point doing it for a Swiss Albanian player either (I bet it turns out the Grasshoppers' guy is making not much more than base DP salary, eg 500-600K).

I hope Nemeth tears it up on the big stage in June.

Hungary don't really have a striker, he has a very good shot at starting. Hungary also got a favourable draw.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-01-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Galaxy really looking good. I like our DP'S, but I would take their overall team. More speed, versatility and depth. Very balanced team throughout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Galaxy really looking good. I like our DP'S, but I would take their overall team. More speed, versatility and depth. Very balanced team throughout.
    They have the slowest starting 11 in the league now, by far. Even worse than it was before. It's also not a very deep team. A couple injuries at the same time will cripple them.

Our team is deeper and younger and arguably in better shape even for this season. I'd be shitting my pants thinking about the future if I was a galaxy fan. This is Arena's swan song with them and they are going to have to replace an entire roster/coaching staff over the next two seasons while trying to continue along the development of their youngsters. If this doesn't pay off then they've mortgaged their future for nothing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Nobody has depth in this league.

I wouldn't get too carried away with our youth vs the Galaxy. Ours isn't that great. They have a bunch of highly touted homegrowns (that could be hype, I don't know, but they definitely should have a serious opportunity there, given that market) plus Zardes. They made maybe the best young signing of the offseason, Boateng.

Re their team speed, that could be an issue. They sure got exposed late in the year by faster teams.

The Galaxy can afford roster turnover because of the sheer number of internationals that will take less than they would elsewhere, to go there.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freddy Montero is off to china.

Wow, china is throwing out some big money, MLS is going to have to compete for these types of players

Freddy is exactly the type of star that should have stayed in MLS

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL8N15H120

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer...203-story.html

Arena is the best GM in MLS. period
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer...203-story.html

Arena is the best GM in MLS. period
    I mean the championships speak for themselves........Bruce Ferguson

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this via Kurt Larson. The first guy is an interesting discussion - guy discusses what makes for an optimal MLS stadium situation. Young professionals really important. Downtown core. http://lastwordfc.podbean.com/e/last...-feb-4th-2016/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article from Armen on how LAG circumvented the Cap to create their all-star team this season.

http://www.thescore.com/news/955347

Basically, they backloaded De Jong's contract so he gets paid very little (relatively speaking) this season, but then skyrockets the following seasons, when it's assumed Gerrard will have retired, opening up a DP spot for De Jong.

Very sneaky.
    Very smart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So apparantly Becks is trying to land either Abramovich or Qatar to fund the Miami project.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...e59434652.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal trading for Harry Shipp. BIG offensive move to grab him, although why Chicago would give up on its future domestic star is beyond me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Montreal trading for Harry Shipp. BIG offensive move to grab him, although why Chicago would give up on its future domestic star is beyond me.
    Chicago fans not happy. They probably should give Paunovic the benefit of the doubt but there's not much in the goodwill bank there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a thoughtful counterpoint piece suggesting why the Shipp trade might not be a such a bad idea.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/02/...g-harry-shipp/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shipp not happy, at all.

The guy bleeds Fire Red and they trade him to a conference rival, the same rival which took their potential Messiah out from under them in a forced trade. They better come up with a darn good DP for the Summer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martins move to China confirmed

Wonder if we'll ever know the terms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious to see what Seattle's next move is. I don't consider a strike force of Dempsey, Valdez and Morris to be that dangerous. Martins really made them tick.

I'd probably sign an attacking playmaker if I were them. They haven't really had one since Rosales, before he started slowing down due to age, and then Martins picked up most of the slack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of teams are going to be in flux at the start of the season with all these new pieces coming in. TFC could make a decent run this year.

NOt sure what to make of the Shipp trade. Anywhere but Montreal, though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martins was really really good at the counter attack. Seattle might be heading back to a possession game. Also, as somebody on twitter said, Martins tends to leave places after 2-3 seasons - gets bored.

The Shipp trade proves to me that the Fire will not be a threat this season as they are banking allocation for a big name signing likely to come in the summer. As for Shipp in Montreal, I don't think he will start most games - he's an attacking sub for them. He wants to be the #10 but I think he's a #10 from MLS circa 2006. I don't seem him as that consistent a passer and he's defensively weak. As we saw last season, AM's and forwards that can't help out in defence are now a liability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire, Philly and maybe even DCU in rebuild mode. NER is unclear, seem to be leaning on their established line up. Orlando will be better and potentially NYCFC too. RB will be in full beast mode. Impact seems like they might be dangerous, probably depends on how much Drogba wants to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    They have the slowest starting 11 in the league now, by far. Even worse than it was before. It's also not a very deep team. A couple injuries at the same time will cripple them.

Our team is deeper and younger and arguably in better shape even for this season. I'd be shitting my pants thinking about the future if I was a galaxy fan. This is Arena's swan song with them and they are going to have to replace an entire roster/coaching staff over the next two seasons while trying to continue along the development of their youngsters. If this doesn't pay off then they've mortgaged their future for nothing.
    I disagree. They have a lot of depth and top end academy talent that has graduated to LAG Dos. I think they will win the CCL this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per Sports Illustrated, Minnesotta team to start in 2017, along with having a new name. http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016...cramento-miami

That would mean 2 new teams next year. Conference realignment will be interesting as Minn will have a natural rival in Chicago, rather then out West and no way they move Atlanta to the West (this isn't the NFL circa the 70's).

LAFC is due in 2018 and who knows when Miaimi will come into play.

Might see 2 extra teams added to the East next season.