Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some really great notes taken down re Montreal on my other forum. Thought I would pass along

Joey Saputo, President and Owner

On Bologna and the relationship with IMFC:

• Goal is to bring it to Serie A and they're in a good position. As for the relationship, he sees an opportunity for development, training, information sharing and possible loans to bring players to IMFC. Says scouting network is now much bigger with Bologna in the ranks. Meanwhile, BFC needs help marketing wise, ticketing wise. Saputo says they're way behind North American standards.

On the off-season:
    • Says he's confortable with the group of players. He likes that the technical staff has brought players to fill holes and needs.
    • Goal is to make the playoffs and win the Canadian Championship (Is there even one this year?).
    • Says team last year lacked some leadership and bite.
    • Satisfied with Braz until now. Jordan leaving wasn't his decision, obviously. Despite the season Klopas had last year, he wanted some stability and continuity in the sporting project. Says the Concina acquisition as an assistant (instead of Kounenakis) will help the team and Klopas get better results.
    • The team will train in Mexico in altitude and play exhibition games vs Mexican teams. Will not participate in the Disney tournament.

On the new teams and high spending:
    • "I have to say that, obvious, when teams spend a lot of money on big players, MLS likes that. Sadly, the team that spent the most are our biggest rivals but still…. Honestly, I have to say that I hope that all the moves that were done will help bring this league to another level. Obviously, and I saw it last year, we have to be careful with our finances and spending and we need to continue building a team without spending the money we don't have".
    • "Toronto signing Giovinco puts a bit of pressure on us. We have a plan and we need to continue following it. That said, if we planned to bring a player from Italy, it changes a bit because he will think there's gold in the streets here and they will ask ridiculous sums. But indeed, we had a plan with certain players but we have to change. Not because we don't want to but because we can't spend that money".
    • "Listen, I already gave my opinion to Don Garber about the spending that was done. Maybe it's good for the league now but long term, it's gonna hurt it. Only a couple of teams will be able to spend a lot of money, Toronto, LA, NY. I'm scared it could hurt the league. We don't necessarily share the same opinion. He wants MLS to be the league of choice for players around the world and of course, with sums of money spent like that, it's gonna be a league of choice but I don't think it's the way to do it. He wants to bring some notoriety to the league and yes, right now it's working but long term, I'm not sure."

On the Champions League game, ticket selling and season tickets:
    • He says there's no more buzz for the Impact in Montreal. Saputo said that, sadly, their buzzword for the CCL game is #Marquonslhistoire (Let's make history) and that with the sales right now (about 15 000 tickets for a game at the Olympic Stadium), they will make history in a negative way because there won't be a lot of people at the stadium if the trend continues.
    • Says he's worried because of the overall trend. In 2012, they were 3rd in ticket sales. Last year, they were 11th and this year, it looks like they're gonna be 13th. Mentions that, a part from the language and weather, empty seats are also a reason not to play in Montreal.
    • Objective is to reach 30 000 but says they're gonna be lucky to reach it. Wanted to make it hard for Pachuca to play in Montreal because it's going to be hard in Mexico but if the trend continues, it's not going to happen. They're not hoping to reach the 55 000 people they had in 2009 vs Santos Laguna.
    • Says the team made his part changing most of the roster and now they need fans to do their part.
    • Says MLS as a whole missed their ticket sales goal by 3M$ and 2M$ of those were IMFC.
    • About MLS teams not putting their best players on the field, he says you need to take context in consideration. In any case, they care about the Canadian Championship and the CCL and he says it's what fans say they want vs meaningless games vs European sides. He says as a businessman, he's giving the fans what they want but sadly, with how the sales are going, he'd be making more money not caring about the CCL and organizing games vs European teams.
    • Says renewal % is at 60% while the goal is 80%. In the league, they're 11th or 12th in Season tickets. They're around 5000.

On marketing:
    • Says maybe there's not enough marketing in the city. That said, they're not spending less money than they used to on marketing. Maybe there's a need to spend more to get the buzz back.
    • Marketing last year was based on players because, following a poll, a lot of people knew the team but didn't know who the coach was or who the players were.
    • Bringing players that speak French is a plus when they evaluate a player, obviously, because it helps their adaptation and connecting with the fans.

On a possible sale:
    • Not happening, despite the weak financial state and weak tickets sales. He's not thinking about it but he's not liking the trend. He's disappointed. Hopes it's going to change.

On the CBA and a lockout:
    • Can't comment on the details of it.
    • Says it shouldn't affect the CCL quarterfinals. After that, he doesn't know.

On the single-entity structure:
    • If it bothers the sporting development, he says it doesn't because of the academy system. Says these players are "owned" by the team. Also says, if a deal needs to be done, it's not gonna be stopped by the structure. Refers to the Giovinco deal.

On Gilardino, Di Natale and possible DPs:
    • Gilardino: An offer was made and accepted by Gilardino. Was much less than what was offered by TFC last year. But IMFC couldn't reach an agreement with Guangzhou Evergrande. Says at the last minute, Fiorentina swooped in, made an offer to Gilardino and Guangzhou.
    • Di Natale: Says nobody is interested in Di Natale and nobody made an offer. Says he's using MLS to improve his contract with Udinese. Says that's it's a problem because these type of players know there's a lot money here so they have to be careful.
    • "For the right player, for the right price and if he has the correct attitude and comes here for the right reasons, we will take a look at it. We won't go after players just for the sake of going after players just because other teams do. It's gotta make sense. It's hard to replace Di Vaio, not only for what he did on the field but also off the field, the attitude, the way he came to Montreal and what he gave to the organization. And it's difficult. We thought Gilardino was right. I spoke to him […] it was perfect."

On the importance to have a big name:
    • Says it's important and it's one of the reasons they wanted Gilardino. That said, he says it's important to stick to his principles: the player needs to come here for the right reasons.
    • Doesn't like that fans are on a "Wait and see" mode because Di Vaio wasn't replaced. Says he can't spend 8M$ when he will get maybe 2M$ of extra ticket sales.

On the training facility (La Caserne):
    • Investment on the training center is evaluated to 10-11M$. Says it helps to attract players and helps the development of players already here, both pros and young players. The two grass fields are ready and will be ready to go at the start of the summer. Works are underway and will be usable starting April. Some more work will done during the summer and will be done around September. As for the two artificial fields, they will start to work on it during Spring.

On the academy:
    • Says the U18 and U16 teams are doing well.
    • About selling homegrown talent on the long term to help finances, it never entered the equation. Says he develops talent for the team and the national teams.

On the merchandising:
    • Last year was the lowest point. 2012 was great, 2013 was lower, 2014 was the lowest. Says they're looking at new ways and new retailers.

On the Canadian Dollar getting weaker:
    • Says it doesn't affect the team much salary-wise because of the dividends MLS gives to the teams. It affects them because of travel and if they want to get a high profile DP.

Adam Braz, Technical Director

• Objective is to make the playoffs and when in, anything can happen.
    • Happy with the roster moves and says they filled their needs systematically. Says they're happy with the depth and the competitive environment it created. Still, that's on paper and it's up to the players to show they made a good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Continued

Richard Legendre, Executive VP, Soccer Operations

On the lack of buzz question:
    • Says they want to explain but change the reality. Says the CL game is the biggest international sporting event in Montreal for the next 6 months. Says he's going to do everything he can to change that. Says the roster change should've brought some hype but it doesn't seem to work.
    • Says the next 27 days before the CCL game are really important. Says the new website (www.marquonslhistoire.com , really great if you haven't visited) is one step to reach the goal.

On the City of Montreal and the return of the Expos question:
    • Says they need the help of the city.
    • Says it's a bit weird to see the mayor push for people to be in the stands when the Jays will come play here in preseason but there's not push to help a team that actually exists here in Montreal.

On the ticket sales:
    • The 2014 season hurt. Average went down by 3000. But thinks it should be able to make up for it and work on individual tickets.
    • About extending the roof and about the loss of money because of weather, he says it would cost a lot to extend the roof and the return on investment is not worth it at this point.

Hugues Leger, Chief Marketing Officer

• New campaign will focus on the 18-24 segment. Said marketing campaigns for past years were maybe a bit too general and now they're going to focus on some particular markets. He says it's an untapped market and they want to bring them slowly and fidelize them.
    • He's not building his marketing plan on eurosnobs. Thinks they're looking from far and that they will come if the product, atmosphere and soccer culture improves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holy moley, what a shitshow.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He pretty much just waved goodbye to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He pretty much just waved goodbye to MLS.
    How so? He just stated their issues, that's all I got from it. He mentioned that he didn't agree with how Garber was marketing MLS, but I don't think that's enough to get Montreal turfed from MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to get some of the guys from the Leafs thread over here. We have endless discussions about Montreal as a sports market over there.

Bottom line: none of the Montrealers will be surprised by any of this.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If rumours are true about Canadian NASL league forming with support of CFL owners, then I wouldn't be surprise if Saputo sold Impact (to American who most likely relocate Impact in the states) and get in with Canadian league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Need to get some of the guys from the Leafs thread over here. We have endless discussions about Montreal as a sports market over there.

Bottom line: none of the Montrealers will be surprised by any of this.

Yup!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Impact have waived Karl Oumette another Canadian joining Unattched FC

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/new...arl-w-ouimette

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

say it with me, folks : 'Adam Braz - Technical Director'.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikers View Post
    The Impact have waived Karl Oumette another Canadian joining Unattched FC

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/new...arl-w-ouimette
    Seemed to show well enough for Canada, in the limited time I've seen him.

Shame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Seemed to show well enough for Canada, in the limited time I've seen him.

Shame.
    Toronto born Steven Vitoria to Philly on loan from Benfica. He had 11 goals as a defender. He played for Portugal I wonder if he is eligible to play for Canada in the future. Last appearance I see is 2012... would be a nice add for Gold Cup.

Without being capped by Portugal as of 2012, Vitória was considering playing for Canada.[27]
    Last edited by Defoe; 02-09-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    If rumours are true about Canadian NASL league forming with support of CFL owners, then I wouldn't be surprise if Saputo sold Impact (to American who most likely relocate Impact in the states) and get in with Canadian league.
    That seems like a really shortsighted move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if it's the right place to ask this.
    I've read that MLS will expend to 24 teams by 2020 and maybe 28 teams by 2022. Doesn't will be too many teams ? How it's going to work ? I assume that each team isn't going to play against all the teams... It would be too many games.

I know that for example it's already the case in NFL. But I would like to know your opinion about that. Don't you think that it's unfair if each team doesn't play the same games in regular season ?
    Last edited by Juventino; 03-10-2015 at 07:36 PM.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juventino View Post
    I've read that MLS will expend to 24 teams by 2020 and maybe 28 teams by 2022. Doesn't will be too many teams ? How it's going to work ? I assume that each team isn't going to play against all the teams... It would be too many games.

I know that for example it's already the case in NFL. But I would like to know your opinion about that. Don't you think that it's unfair if each team doesn't play the same games in regular season ?
    We already don't have a balanced schedule. The league is split into 2 conferences (East and West) because of geography (North America is pretty damn big). So teams actually play more games during the season against teams in their own conference. Strange, I know. But that's the nature of sports in this part of the world. Many of us would love to see a balanced schedule in MLS, but it might just be a dream. Is it fair? If playoffs didn't exist, then no, it wouldn't make sense. But the regular season is basically 34 games that determine which 12 teams deserve to go to a knockout stage of the MLS Cup.
    Last edited by flatpicker; 03-10-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a major reason we have play offs in North America.

Because the country is so big and Leagues are big, not every team plays each other equally (west doesn't play east as often as they play west) So the Top teams from each play each other.

Montreal is just sad, I mean 3 years... and they wasted that time. I can't believe it... what did they think TFC and Vancouver did well so they would without having to spend money on advertising?

I realize the stadium isn't downtown and would be like TFC having the Stadium being built in Bloor West Village or the Foodland terminal area. Still They needed to develop a real plan, and it doesn't look like they did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The formula for a successful franchise in Montreal is straight forward. Give the fans a winning team, and they will be among the best supporters in the league. Give them a losing team, and they will disappear in droves. Montreal has the most fickle fans in professional sports, so consistency will be key for the Impact moving forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    We already don't have a balanced schedule. The league is split into 2 conferences (East and West) because of geography (North America is pretty damn big). So teams actually play more games during the season against teams in their own conference. Strange, I know. But that's the nature of sports in this part of the world. Many of us would love to see a balanced schedule in MLS, but it might just be a dream. Is it fair? If playoffs didn't exist, then no, it wouldn't make sense. But the regular season is basically 34 games that determine which 12 teams deserve to go to a knockout stage of the MLS Cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    This is a major reason we have play offs in North America.

Because the country is so big and Leagues are big, not every team plays each other equally (west doesn't play east as often as they play west) So the Top teams from each play each other.
    Oh my god i really thought that there were 38 games in regular season. My bad. Thanks for your answers guys.

I really don't know what to think about this. It's exciting because it's exotic. In the other hand I know that's not the better way for MLS to become important in other parts of the world, people will think that's unfair because maybe a team that deserved to be in the play-offs will not be in it because of an harder calendar in regular season.

But that's ok, I assume that's the better way to rule the league, this is not easy to deal with this huge area.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But that's ok, I assume that's the better way to rule the league, this is not easy to deal with this huge area.
    It's not easy, but it's not impossible. It would just take more thought and consideration when constructing the league schedule in order to limit travel issues in a balanced single table format. But geography isn't the only reason MLS uses a conference format. The league believes it can attract more American fans if the they structure themselves like other sports leagues over here. They worry that the idea of a single table format is too foreign and would put off some people that are used to the way things have been done in leagues like MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my god i really thought that there were 38 games in regular season. My bad. Thanks for your answers guys.

I really don't know what to think about this. It's exciting because it's exotic. In the other hand I know that's not the better way for MLS to become important in other parts of the world, people will think that's unfair because maybe a team that deserved to be in the play-offs will not be in it because of an harder calendar in regular season.
    Welcome to the world of North American Sports.
    This is an argument that many fans in the other NA major leagues have time and time again (NBA fans especially), but they live with it. That's why all the NA leagues have conferences and divisions and play for the big prize at the end of playoffs. Largely the best teams make it to the playoffs (regardless of harder schedules) and though the top seeded teams win more often than not, it's not surprising to find a lower-seeded team winning it all (ie LA Kings of the NHL).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think we got stadium issues, you should see what NYCFC is dealing with.

http://tinyurl.com/pgnaaq8

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something well worth reading

http://reprints.longform.org/howler-...marcelo-claure

Insight into

1. Why the Miami thing just isn't working (the 3 people involved are just not all that smart when it comes to this sort of stuff)
    2. What SKC ownership thinks of the players (they would have gone for replacements - that's going to go down well in the locker room)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something well worth reading

http://reprints.longform.org/howler-...marcelo-claure

Insight into

1. Why the Miami thing just isn't working (the 3 people involved are just not all that smart when it comes to this sort of stuff)
    2. What SKC ownership thinks of the players (they would have gone for replacements - that's going to go down well in the locker room)
    If the quotes from the SKC owners are true. The article is written by the son of a NASL owner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    It's not easy, but it's not impossible. It would just take more thought and consideration when constructing the league schedule in order to limit travel issues in a balanced single table format. But geography isn't the only reason MLS uses a conference format. The league believes it can attract more American fans if the they structure themselves like other sports leagues over here. They worry that the idea of a single table format is too foreign and would put off some people that are used to the way things have been done in leagues like MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA, etc.
    It is impossible. Very soon MLS will have 28 teams then maybe 30. You can't have a 54 game season (Plus Cup Competitions). That has very little to do with travel. There are simply just enough dates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So some more Montreal Impact news.. via twitter so take it for what it's worth.

https://twitter.com/_marcuzzi/status/580042665758203905

It states that Piatti wants out of Montreal. :/ He had left to go back to Argentina for personal reasons and missed this past weekend's game.. This does not look good for them moving forward in the CCL or in MLS. As much as I want TFC to be better than them, I want soccer to succeed in Canada more.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e16177331.html

Sooooo.....Miami team, but shared with Miami Football, which is going to make for mud bowls (if anybody ever saw the Old Orange bowl, the grass got turned to shreds through use by both the Dolphins and U of Miami). And this is subject to internal Miami politics while the major backer is not as involved as he used to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    So some more Montreal Impact news.. via twitter so take it for what it's worth.

https://twitter.com/_marcuzzi/status/580042665758203905

It states that Piatti wants out of Montreal. :/ He had left to go back to Argentina for personal reasons and missed this past weekend's game.. This does not look good for them moving forward in the CCL or in MLS. As much as I want TFC to be better than them, I want soccer to succeed in Canada more.
    its bad for MLS when players like that jsut pick up and leave.

does this happen as much in other sports?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e16177331.html

Sooooo.....Miami team, but shared with Miami Football, which is going to make for mud bowls (if anybody ever saw the Old Orange bowl, the grass got turned to shreds through use by both the Dolphins and U of Miami). And this is subject to internal Miami politics while the major backer is not as involved as he used to be.
    I can already see that the team is going to fail. The team will make a go of it for a few years before Beckham sells it to another owner or back to MLS at a profit, then the stadium goes back to university football. It looks like the Howler article was fairly accurate in gauging the lay of the land.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freddy Adu signs for team number 11

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ng-career.html
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think we got stadium issues, you should see what NYCFC is dealing with.

http://tinyurl.com/pgnaaq8
    Enjoyed the article.
    As said in the past, it is not only in Canada eh?