Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC in talks with Garth Lagerway about president's job

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/garth...e-soccer-mlse/

Would be huge if we could get him. Bez must be pissed but he knows he can't compare to Lagerway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what does this accomplish?

and who is doing the hiring?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

Proven winner on a cheapy budget.
    The same people that brought in Lieweke.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osieck?

ARE THEY FREAKING NUTS!!!!

Two words for any TFC person perusing this board:

JIAN Ghomeshi

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

sounds like a bit of leak to get MLS savvy fans to re up on season tickets. the thing is, most TFC supporters don't know who Lagerwey is.

if Lagerwey becomes the team president, it does a lot to cancel out inexperience of Tim B and Greg V. he knows Vanney from their days together at RSL. Lagerwey built the 09 MLS Cup team and CCL finalist on cheap. so, he knows talent identification. and if there is a knock on Lagerwey, current RSL team is still more or less 09 RSL team, and it's aging rapidly, although they are still good. he's not afraid to make moves though. and I bet with money available from MLSE, he'll make good DP signings, and his DP signings at RSL all paid off on cheap.
    the thing is, Lagerwey is going to be the team president, which is a different role than GM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Garth Lagerway comes here, does this mean another reset?

We all saw what happened when Payne was let go by TL, but Nelson was kept around.

Better to start off with a clean slate, but at this point its too late to fire Vanney and Bez because of the draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't thbk Osieck is that bad, but he's no Lagerway. Our association and players are soft and couldn't handle someone running a tight ship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need this bad.

The style of play and culture going forward can't be dictated by the GM. It has to be dictated by the next person who would hire the GM. The "owner" in other words.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If Garth Lagerway comes here, does this mean another reset?

We all saw what happened when Payne was let go by TL, but Nelson was kept around.

Better to start off with a clean slate, but at this point its too late to fire Vanney and Bez because of the draft.
    I dunno how Lagerwey feels about Tim B, though they probably worked together often enough when Tim B worked for MLS FO. Lagerwey hired Vanney to set up RSL youth academy, so there is a relationship there and Vanney only moved on when he got hired as assistant for Chivas USA (probably with Lagerwey's blessings)

so there is big chance that Lagerwey is ok with current setup, but I'm also for with a new team president, if he has to fire the staff, he does it, so that he puts his own guys
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is Yohan the only one that knows how to spell his name? John Molinaro should know better. (Oh, it's right in the story, just not his tweet or the headline).

Interesting story. Still think our inability to know/decide what our playing style is is half our problem. Think he'd help on that front.
    Last edited by Canary10; 11-27-2014 at 03:15 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Why is Yohan the only one that knows how to spell his name? John Molinaro should know better. (Oh, it's right in the story, just not his tweet or the headline).

Interesting story. Still think our inability to know/decide what our playing style is is half our problem. Think he'd help on that front.
    I am a huge MLS nerd

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm down with this move. I don't think it would cause any immediate turnover in our front office either, as he is quite familiar with Vanney and Bez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Osieck?

JIAN Ghomeshi
    I hear this Jian guy has an excellent radio show

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I am a huge MLS nerd
    Spelling people's name wrong bugs me for some reason. I always wanted to correct all the 'Nelsons.'

We need sone serious talent identification at TFC too. He's been quite good at that.

But then my cynical side tells me this is just setting up another mass firing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ hey, if that's what it is, I'm okay with it. The important thing is Legerway: Bez and Vanney are just background noise.

Reasonable chance they'd all work together IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osieck?

JIAN Ghomeshi
    Huh?

Osieck is proven winner who has tons of experience and seniority to become president for this club.

As for Legerway, he sounds like top choice for the job.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ hey, if that's what it is, I'm okay with it. The important thing is Legerway: Bez and Vanney are just background noise.

Reasonable chance they'd all work together IMO.
    Wouldn't it be wierd to have a united vision and teamwork on the management side? *gasp*

If true this would be a pretty good development.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    my cynical side tells me this is just setting up another mass firing.
    Mine too but really I think only Bez may be one the way out. Lagerway worked with Vanney at RSL and they should be on the same page or close. Bez is in the middle and who knows how that'd play out. Will Lagerway value him? How will Bez like answering to Lagerway?
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 11-27-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Huh?

Osieck is proven winner who has tons of experience and seniority to become president for this club.

As for Legerway, he sounds like top choice for the job.
    I think he's referring to Osieck's sexist comments. I used to be a big fan of him too but would not like someone like him anywhere near our club.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osieck?

JIAN Ghomeshi
    Just a little over the top don't you think?

Osieck saying "women should shut up in public" is hardly in the same league as Ghomeshi choking and beating the shit out of women.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osieck
    They do read my posts after all.

IMHO, he is no Ghomeshi.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mod note. Ghomeshi stuff belongs elsewhere. Stick to original post

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Just a little over the top don't you think?

Osieck saying "women should shut up in public" is hardly in the same league as Ghomeshi choking and beating the shit out of women.
    A bit over the top, yes.

But Osieck is a no go. In the atmosphere going on around this city, he becomes the story for months, and like it or not, it gets mixed in with Ghomeshi and other scum like him.

We don't need this.

Even being seen to be considering him is a faux pas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please let this happen. This would be huge.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just curious.

What exactly would be the role of a President of TFC? I ask because I believe Larry T is MLSE's representative on MLS' Board of Governors. Seems more like a Senior GM role, no?

I wonder the same things about the Leafs and Shanahan. Great hockey player. Good at reading prepared statements. Presumably plays nice within Boards as he was liked within the League office. No real experience as a "President" though. Hasn't run a Marketing Department, set budgets for his business units, etc, etc.

Lagerway has great experience at RSL. Mostly in a GM-like capacity.

What's the job he would be hired for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point is to have someone who is in charge of the overall vision of the club. May support what the coach / GM want done, but isn't primarily a GM. It's basically exactly what Bobby L. does in Vancouver. It's Tom Anselmi with a brain.

It's about governance and vision, which has been a huge issue at TFC since day one.

Coaches and GMs are transient, a vision should not be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Just curious.

What exactly would be the role of a President of TFC? I ask because I believe Larry T is MLSE's representative on MLS' Board of Governors. Seems more like a Senior GM role, no?

I wonder the same things about the Leafs and Shanahan. Great hockey player. Good at reading prepared statements. Presumably plays nice within Boards as he was liked within the League office. No real experience as a "President" though. Hasn't run a Marketing Department, set budgets for his business units, etc, etc.

Lagerway has great experience at RSL. Mostly in a GM-like capacity.

What's the job he would be hired for?
    I fought this idea for years (decades) but I now believe it to be true: organizations take on the personality of their leader.

The leaders of MLSE do not have winning personalities, they are managers, not leaders. So, the teams need leadership. Sure, it seems ceremonial (and it can be, so far Shanahan is no Yzerman, but I suppose we knew that going in) but with the right person in the position it can have a real effect.

When TFC started I hoped they would bring in an elder statesman, so to speak, someone with a lifetime of experience to act as an advisor - even someone pulled out of retirement on a pat-time basis. Maybe something like the position Wayne Embry has with the Raptors. But they didn't do that and we've had years of people trying to learn on the job with little to no guidance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if this would actually be a replacement for Tim L. If my understanding of this position is one that 'leads' the club on a vision, I think that we had that with Tim L. Despite the fact that he was the MLSE CEO, he was kind of a president for TFC because he understood the league and seemed pretty passionate about it. I'd imagine that the new MLSE guy is going to understand a fraction at best of what TimL did about soccer and MLS in particular. Maybe Lagerwey is to be that visionary.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy I like this idea

IF

The thing makes sense in its entirety. It has to look right.

I have no idea why anybody but Lagerwey should be TFC's GM if he comes as President. Bez would need to be the capologist, or leave. I could see how Vanney might stay, at least at first.

Lagerwey would have to have the ability to hire and fire, and the initial decisions on personnel would need to confirm that reality, right out of the gate. No more MLSE specials, where the new hire inherits his subordinates, and everyone tells stories about it.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lagerwey said in March he would like to be a President. Vanney is his guy. Bez fires Nelsen at the first pretext and replaces him with Lagerwey's guy, Vanney. Only conclusion possible: This has been planned for months. Bez is part of it, Lagerwey will be here, Vanney will stay. It's all probably good if Vanney is as competent as his interviews make him sound (although won't be if he is as incompetent as his results on the field show). Feel bad for Nelsen though, out manoeuvred here for sure.