Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    This will continue to grow, however the MLS will get the ROI when younger prospects are under contracts earlier. These USL teams will help facilitate that.
    No more will you see academy/young first team players leave for the lack of opportunity.
    yes and no.
    a lot of kids (at least in US) are holding off on pro contracts because they don't want to ruin their NCAA eligibility. 40k a year for couple of years is not worth ruining NCAA eligiblity
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    yes and no.
    a lot of kids (at least in US) are holding off on pro contracts because they don't want to ruin their NCAA eligibility. 40k a year for couple of years is not worth ruining NCAA eligiblity
    Didn't Galaxy2 work something out so that Academy kids playing in USLPro are still NCAA eligible?

I thought I read that somewhere...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct. Academy kids don't lose eligibility playing with pros, as long as they don't have pro contracts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    Didn't Galaxy2 work something out so that Academy kids playing in USLPro are still NCAA eligible?

Correct; signing a contract for TFC2 won't see the player lose NCAA eligibility.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Correct; signing a contract for TFC2 won't see the player lose NCAA eligibility.
    Yes it would if the kid gets paid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    yes and no.
    If you offer an 18 year old a 2-4 year USL contract at 20k-40k. I for sure would not be thinking NCAA.

The main reason why these teams are being created is because the league and teams have realized that college soccer is not doing enough for player development for elite players between 18-23.

The NCAA will stay the same with their 3 month programs but the elite players will more than likely be with an MLS academy and sign USLpro contracts to play/train year long.

The benefit of this is young players will be pros getting paid legit money where they will have the option to pay for their own education. (like alot are doing right now if they don't have full scholarships)

For example, If I'm someone like Mark-Anthony Kaye and TFC is offering me a USLpro contract at 40k... Im signing that contract, continuing my program at York and saying bye to the uni ball.

I could only imagine that this is what would be communicated to the parents.
    Last edited by Shway; 11-21-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could they not just have a player signed to a League 1 contract and loan them to the USL Pro team like they did when Mark Anthony Kaye went on loan to Wilmington?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you offer an 18 year old a 2-4 year USL contract at 20k-40k. I for sure would not be thinking NCAA.

The main reason why these teams are being created is because the league and teams have realized that college soccer is not doing enough for player development for elite players between 18-23.

The NCAA will stay the same with their 3 month programs but the elite players will more than likely be with an MLS academy and sign USLpro contracts to play/train year long.

The benefit of this is young players will be pros getting paid legit money where they will have the option to pay for their own education. (like alot are doing right now if they don't have full scholarships)

For example, If I'm someone like Mark-Anthony Kaye and TFC is offering me a USLpro contract at 40k... Im signing that contract, continuing my program at York and saying bye to the uni ball.

this makes sense and I see as beneficial . Maybe a kid picks a school for his educational opportunities not it's soccer finesse ,....prefect ! The way it should be and MAYBE strengthening our local schools .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An american NCAA sports scholarship is generally valued between 140-200k, so...that's pretty hard for a lot of kids to pass up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    An american NCAA sports scholarship is generally valued between 140-200k, so...that's pretty hard for a lot of kids to pass up.
    that is an overrated estimated value , because they are so over-priced and lacking, many of the schools educational programs are nowhere near ours , if my son had soccer opportunities to stay at a respected education facility in Canada and also pursue a soccer carear , however slight , I would definitely favour really sourcing out VALUE for what education you are receiving . US schools are horrible value comparatively speaking to our schools . Which can be much more affordable IF , you are working . In the end it is about talent and carear possibilities though .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    True at the cost. But this is the general "cost" for when your an international student not a student athlete ...kids aren't receving $140-200k nor does it trully cost the school that much for one kid.

So what you are passing up is specifically the atheltic scholarship. There's no monetary value behind it, because schools have a certain amount of "free schooling" to give to select student athletes. (ranges between 7-10 for some schools)

The opportunity to get an education will never disappear. The opportunity to play professional soccer is a small closing window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other things to note about the NCAA scholarship: they pull them, frequently. That money is not guaranteed and the "education" you get depending on the sport your playing is basically worthless.

There are stories NFL and NBA players who are basically illiterate who some how made it through four year programs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All i know is that my 2 cousins from Serbia, who both had NCAA Div 1 scholarships (one to hawaii, one to Fordham) both had a REALLY hard time turning down lower paying leagues due to the NCAA, because of the value.

Those boys were covered for 1) Housing, 2) Clothes, 3) Food, 4) Medical Insurance, 5) Education, 6) travel

they were SET.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can play up to five academy players per game in USL Pro, with these kids taking part as amateurs. Mark-Anthony Kaye is playing his university soccer at York, the CIS in Canada has much less strict rules regarding student athletes. Here is an example of how you can use your academy players who still might consider an NCAA scholarship.

http://www.riverhounds.com/home/743710.html

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be possible for them to play at Varsity?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    Would it be possible for them to play at Varsity?
    They could, but from everything suggested, TFC 2 will like play at the Soccer Centre in Vaughn.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its pretty simple. these players can negotiate to include paid college in their contracts instead of cash.

Each USL team can work with their local universities to work deals out. housing / food, etc.

they can even take just a few credits a year and complete school part time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see USL Pro team offer some trials to the top young players in League1. Would create more buzz for that league which would result in a pool of players that TFC could scout with ease for the USL Pro team.

Get a couple of ex TFCers who performed well in the mix like Lao and Cordon. Possibly even Welshman but I think I would prefer a younger player getting a shot over him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post

Here's one recent article that talks about that: http://www.recklesschallenge.net/usl...velopment-gap/

"one of those rules changes occurred by way of NCAA bylaws in 2010. Bylaw 12.2.3.2.1 is an exception for pre-collegiate activities with a professional sports club. The important change is that players can now compete on a professional team prior to enrolling in college and maintain eligibility as long as they are not paid a wage for doing so.
    12.2.3.2.1 Exception—Competition Before Initial Full-Time Collegiate Enrollment—Sports Other Than Men’s Ice Hockey and Skiing. In sports other than men’s ice hockey and skiing, before initial full-time collegiate enrollment, an individual may compete on a professional team (per Bylaw 12.02.4), provided he or she does not receive more than actual and necessary expenses to participate on the team. (Adopted: 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10; applicable to student-athletes who initially enroll full time in a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/10)
    The change in NCAA eligibility guidelines allowed pre-collegiate stand-outs to play in official competitions alongside paid professionals. Academy players, those who haven’t yet enrolled in college, can compete on a professional team alongside full professionals as long as he is not paid. A player can receive travel or meal stipends, or those services in kind, but cannot receive payment for participation or appearances for the team."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FC London Soccer@FCLondon 7m7 minutes ago
    Did someone just say @torontofc is placing a team in the Great Lakes Division? Welcome to the best amateur soccer in North America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Did someone just say @torontofc is placing a team in the Great Lakes Division? Welcome to the best amateur soccer in North America.

Sounds like a derby with the Lynx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    This wouldn't make any sense...as I would think a U-23 team would be the USLpro team. And if they want to play academy players between the ages of 16-18...why not just enter them into the US development academy league where the rest of the leagues academy teams play. It runs from September to May. ..so there would be a little overlap with League 1

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This wouldn't make any sense...as I would think a U-23 team would be the USLpro team. And if they want to play academy players between the ages of 16-18...why not just enter them into the US development academy league where the rest of the leagues academy teams play. It runs from September to May. ..so there would be a little overlap with League 1
    They would want to use a PDL team for their home grown players currently playing NCAA like a Jay Chapman. Academy kids can play in USL Pro and maintain there NCAA eligibility but once they accept a scholarship they can no longer play alongside pro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    They would want to use a PDL team for their home grown players currently playing NCAA like a Jay Chapman. Academy kids can play in USL Pro and maintain there NCAA eligibility but once they accept a scholarship they can no longer play alongside pro.
    I believe you have this part wrong.IIRC there was a rule that was passed I think 2 years ago that allows academy players to play alongside pros. The difference is that they will lose their NCAA eligibility once they are paid.

....actually I just remembered that this is so because remember when Alando Matheson played in the voyageurs cup, and I think a few other academy players. Well he's at UCONN and didn't and he's been playing...we'll sorta

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe you have this part wrong.IIRC there was a rule that was passed I think 2 years ago that allows academy players to play alongside pros. The difference is that they will lose their NCAA eligibility once they are paid.

....actually I just remembered that this is so because remember when Alando Matheson played in the voyageurs cup, and I think a few other academy players. Well he's at UCONN and didn't and he's been playing...we'll sorta
    Academy kids can play USL Pro, In the past MLS reserve league but as stated above once you are on a NCAA program you can no longer as long as you want to remain compliant. That is why the. PDL exists as a college summer league. The NCAA has provisions for soccer players to trial though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those interested in the divisional and schedule format for USL Pro in 2015. The 24 team league will be broken into two conferences, east and west. The teams will play pretty much their entire schedule within their conference minus a possible a couple games.

http://www.recklesschallenge.net/usl...duling-format/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    For those interested in the divisional and schedule format for USL Pro in 2015. The 24 team league will be broken into two conferences, east and west. The teams will play pretty much their entire schedule within their conference minus a possible a couple games.

http://www.recklesschallenge.net/usl...duling-format/
    Never mind that - look at the link embedded in that one:

http://www.recklesschallenge.net/usl...tus-with-ussf/

It looks like MLS and USL PRO are abandoning all pretense of getting along with NASL and put them out of Business ASAP.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Never mind that - look at the link embedded in that one:

http://www.recklesschallenge.net/usl...tus-with-ussf/

It looks like MLS and USL PRO are abandoning all pretense of getting along with NASL and put them out of Business ASAP.
    With 85% criteria already met - Except what the bankrolls of those teams are. That is no easy fix. They need to find the money to be at the table. Does anyone think this makes the "pyramid" more stable? Seems petty with a lot more to lose than gain.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    With 85% criteria already met - Except what the bankrolls of those teams are. That is no easy fix. They need to find the money to be at the table. Does anyone think this makes the "pyramid" more stable? Seems petty with a lot more to lose than gain.
    I agree, in my mind with the partnership USL Pro has with MLS, especially with having reserve teams and affiliates in it, I am not too sure if the D2 level is the right place for this type of endeavour. To me D2 in the US and Canada is a stand alone situation, not a quasi reserve league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, this looks like collusion between two leagues to put another out of business. I think there is a major legal fight coming up if they go through with this.