Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default WANKAPALOOZA - Gerrard coming to Toronto

British media blistering it's palms over rumours that Liverpool's Steven Gerrard is coming to Toronto. Multiple sources.

I hope it's not true. Not because I don't like Gerrard, although, by Gawd, he does look tired and jaded.

No, I dislike the idea that expectations will once again be kicked into unrealistic levels. And the cynic in me sees this as a convenient mechanism to justify raising ticket prices. A more sensible but less glamorous signing would not generate the buzz-driven leverage MLSE need to bump ticket prices.

Does this have something to do with why stadium construction has made such little visible progress?
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 11-08-2014 at 01:37 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres no way in hell Steven Gerrard is walking away from anfield not in this lifetime were talking about a player thats had numerous offers from countless clubs for his services to just pack up when hes got maybe 2 seasons left in him and to jump to this market thats been rebulding since day 1 i see him taking a drastic pay cut with lfc before he would even consider leaving
    Last edited by Ricky_Portugal; 11-08-2014 at 02:13 AM.
    Ai estes são os Ultras do Benfica Primeiros a nascer
    Odiamos os tripeiros Queremos ver o Porto a arder
    DIABOS VERMELHOS 1982

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    British media blistering it's palms over rumours that Liverpool's Steven Gerrard is coming to Toronto. Multiple sources.

I hope it's not true. Not because I don't like Gerrard, although, by Gawd, he does look tired and jaded.

No, I dislike the idea that expectations will once again be kicked into unrealistic levels. And the cynic in me sees this as a convenient mechanism to justify raising ticket prices. A more sensible but less glamorous signing would not generate the buzz-driven leverage MLSE need to bump ticket prices.

Does this have something to do with why stadium construction has made such little visible progress?
    THEY"RE ALL QUOTING CANADIAN SOURCES -- the NBC story some are quoting also had no sources, and was quoting Duane's story, which appeared conveniently after the two names were bandied on this forum.

Stand down caller.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporting journalism in the UK is largely dead.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone going up to Pearson to wait for him today?

There are definitely a group of peeps getting starry eyed about the possibility of these actually being rumours even..

In all seriousness, I doubt that if they signed one of the players mentioned that they could justify a significant increase since we've all got to witness what the last great investment got us. These moves are to keep the casual fans interest in possibly renewing.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 11-08-2014 at 07:48 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prince is rumoured to be coming to TFC to to sing each and every pre game oh Canada!!!

So much stuff made up, so little is truth :@(

That should increase ticket sales

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    THEY"RE ALL QUOTING CANADIAN SOURCES -- the NBC story some are quoting also had no sources, and was quoting Duane's story, which appeared conveniently after the two names were bandied on this forum.

Stand down caller.
    Bingo. Amazing what a rumor made by a blogger can do. Just amazing that proper sports news outlets run stories like this.

Now do i think that these guys are on a list that MLSE have, probably. However being on a list and the reality that they would go after them are two different things.

I'm more shocked t names being bantered about on our boards makes a source to who the club is looking at.

Jeez if that's the case we should just be throwing out more names like Rooney, Vlaar, Evra, Cavanni and see how long till ESPN reports that lol.

Welcome to the run up to crazy season again , where reports come from everywhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leiweke needs to go yesterday, and the MLSE board is just blowing it by letting this guy stick around to pursue personal agendas at the expense of the team.

Leiweke is just doing favours for Gerrard's agent.

Bez, in today's Globe, says completely different things about how the money freed up by Defoe going would be used, and frankly Bez's statements makes a lot more sense.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle21503836/

General manager Tim Bezbatchenko said the team is still in talks with Defoe about his future. But he seemed to hint about going a lower-profile route if Defoe’s spot needed to be filled.
    The money from any sale would be re-invested in the roster, Bezbatchenko told TSN Radio. That could be “a player well-known or a player that maybe is a little bit less well-known but fits our team in terms of the needs that we have right now, in order to put a successful team on the field,” he said. “It’s not about the name this time,” he added. “Not that it was primarily last time. But we’re about putting out a winning team next year. And that could come from a world-recognized name or it could come from a player from South America.”
    Last edited by ensco; 11-08-2014 at 09:57 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Leiweke needs to go yesterday, and the MLSE board is just blowing it by letting this guy stick around to pursue personal agendas at the expense of the team.

Bez, in today's Globe, says completely different things about how the money freed up by Defoe going would be used, and frankly Bez's statements makes a lot more sense.

General manager Tim Bezbatchenko said the team is still in talks with Defoe about his future. But he seemed to hint about going a lower-profile route if Defoe’s spot needed to be filled.
    The money from any sale would be re-invested in the roster, Bezbatchenko told TSN Radio. That could be “a player well-known or a player that maybe is a little bit less well-known but fits our team in terms of the needs that we have right now, in order to put a successful team on the field,” he said. “It’s not about the name this time,” he added. “Not that it was primarily last time. But we’re about putting out a winning team next year. And that could come from a world-recognized name or it could come from a player from South America.”
    Well, thank fuck.. but, we're a long way from this coming to fruition. Here's hoping this isn't just lip service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rooney, Gerard, Prince and Drogba part of Toronto new NASL team

Source:

@tlakingbullguy

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it hilarious that our club is bending to Defoe's every wish... We pretty much have to considering how we've treated everyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is as soon as Tim L said he's going to be leaving there no going to allow him to spend that kind of money on another shirt selling venture of a player.

Which is good Bez knows what he's doing and i believe in the moves he's making including the Vanney move. After talking with hin last season a few times I can see where he wants to have this team go. And yes last season was disappointing but i believe he knows the next steps to bring us to where we all want to be.

I can't say I've ever felt that about anyone else that has had control of this club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to make fun of the rollerblade guy, but you deserve a beer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

will never happen LOL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollins source is this forum, not Leiweke. I get you are into conspiracy, but Stretch Armstrong can't bend that way.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still holding out for Dicov.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Rollins source is this forum, not Leiweke. I get you are into conspiracy, but Stretch Armstrong can't bend that way.
    Leiweke is on the record talking about a massive move he has lined up if Defoe goes. Bez went out of his way to correct that.

I am not "into" conspiracy. How about you leave my motivations out of it?
    Last edited by ensco; 11-08-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leiweke is on the record talking about a massive move he has lined up if Defoe goes. Bez went out of his way to correct that.

I am not "into" conspiracy. How about you leave my motivations out of it?
    Sorry, wasn't meant as an ad hominem. I though you admitted to enjoying that sort of discussion for the sake of that sort of discussion. Obviously wrong on my part.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Sorry, wasn't meant as an ad hominem. I though you admitted to enjoying that sort of discussion for the sake of that sort of discussion. Obviously wrong on my part.
    i may have been too jumpy... Always respect your posts, it's easy to see you've been around this sport for a long time. Peace.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Even if there was a hint of truth to it, I wouldn't want him. And as others have said, he's not leaving Anfield anytime soon. He was born, will play his whole career, and will die, a Red. If he had ever wanted to leave Liverpool, he would have done so long before this.

I'm just jaded with the whole big name thing now. I'd rather focus on building this team the way most successful other MLS clubs do. Get me 3 or 4 more Gilbertos on the team, rather than big name players who are one or two steps away from the knackers yard, please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Even if there was a hint of truth to it, I wouldn't want him. And as others have said, he's not leaving Anfield anytime soon. He was born, will play his whole career, and will die, a Red. If he had ever wanted to leave Liverpool, he would have done so long before this.

I'm just jaded with the whole big name thing now. I'd rather focus on building this team the way most successful other MLS clubs do. Get me 3 or 4 more Gilbertos on the team, rather than big name players who are one or two steps away from the knackers yard, please.
    This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ What they said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Yep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    Rooney, Gerard, Prince and Drogba part of Toronto new NASL team

Source:

@tlakingbullguy
    …and Sven as manager! (Whatever happened to him anyway?)

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There is absolutely no reason Stevie G. would want to come here. He's won everything you can at club level except the League, and I'm dead sure he's not coming to MLS just to accomplish that.

And even if he was, Toronto would be the last place he'd land. Such utter nonsense.

I hope he goes straight into coaching, or maybe punditry. Hell, maybe even acting.

It would be a sad day indeed were he to ever pull a TFC shirt over his head.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post

It would be a sad day indeed were he to ever pull a TFC shirt over his head.
    For both TFC and Steven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has recently said that he will sign with another team if Liverpool dont renew his contract. He dosent want to retire, reds or not. He would not do well over here because MLS is too physical imo. Now ronaldinho on the other hand still has his legs and is affordable! lol I watched him play friday night and was very impressed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roca View Post
    …and Sven as manager! (Whatever happened to him anyway?)
    Mgr, Guangzhou R&F, for £2M/yr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone wishing Kevin Payne was allowed to see out what he started at TFC right about now?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    Anyone wishing Kevin Payne was allowed to see out what he started at TFC right about now?

I got a way to avoid that thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_MLS_SuperDraft