Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 MLS Kits

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Well.. yes and no.

Not to get into semantics, but before I'd say it's used to "enforce" patriotism, I'd sooner describe it as a mutually beneficial tool; the powers that be in sports use it to channel patriotism, giving their participants, both fans and athletes alike, that extra percentile of enthusiasm. Therein you see the next point I don't quite agree with you on—that it has NOTHING to do with the players; I look at it as them taking a bit of national pride in the country of their employment, as well as infusing that extra step for one or two of the Canadians in the line-up.

I actually don't have a problem with the spirit of the idea, and, thus, don't really want that to change (agree with you that it won't).. I just have different ideas about how it should be implemented, is all. The players often appear to be going through the motions, when you'd like to think hearing the anthem, no matter their nationality, would send chills down their spines; Bradley has said that it really gets them up for the match, but, judging from one or two of their performances, especially down the stretch, one wonders just how much of that is him patronising us (no pun intended).

Maybe, for many of the players new to the country, it's too much, too soon, to be hearing it every week.. whereas, were it to be only on select occasions they could point to, it'd last longer in memory, and really get them going, the next time 'round. This is why I thought that at the season's beginning and end—also perhaps for every playoff and/or cup game—they could reserve anthems for then; in moderation, I think it could really be something special, and as it should be.

That said, I can understand someone maybe preferring to build a tradition of singing it every time.. but, as said, it's just not for me, and for the reasons above; I'd personally love belting it out, as I'm sure many fans do, but to ensure it always means something to all involved, maybe finding a middle ground would make it special for the players, as well as only enhancing the effect on those of whom it never gets old for.

I wonder if there's ever been a thought to break out the national anthem during games—perhaps near the end (to space things out)—if only to engage the crowd with something surely familiar for all. Don't really follow the club, but I always admired the camaraderie shown by Liverpool supporters, to sing "YNWA" towards the conclusion of a match, win, lose or draw. If the anthem could be used to similar affect, then this more organic approach could blossom nicely, as away from how the club now instructs every one to raise their scarves.
    it has happened.
    one of the last home games this year the bunker belted it out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologies for the confusion; I've been having trouble with editing my posts, once they're posted, for some reason, requiring that I delete them and start again—ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Sports have always been a method of enforcing patriotism upon the public. It'll never change. Nothing to do with what nationality of the players in the lineups, it's about the people watching.
    Well.. yes and no.

Not to get into semantics, but before I'd say it's used to "enforce" patriotism, I'd sooner describe it as a mutually beneficial tool; the powers that be in sports use it to channel patriotism, giving their participants, both fans and athletes alike, that extra percentile of enthusiasm. Therein you see the next point I don't quite agree with you on—that it has NOTHING to do with the players; I look at it as them taking a bit of national pride in the country of their employment (also where their children now go to school and are being raised, in some cases), as well as infusing that extra step for one or two of the Canadians in the line-up.

I actually don't have a problem with the spirit of the idea, and, thus, don't really want that to be completely eradicated (agreed that it won't be, if that's what you meant with "never change").. I just have different ideas about how it should be implemented, is all. The players often appear to be going through the motions, when you'd like to think hearing the anthem, no matter their nationality, would send chills down their spines; Bradley has said that it really gets them up for the match, but, judging from one or two of their performances, especially down the stretch, one wonders just how much of that is him patronising us (no pun intended).

Maybe, for many of the players new to the country, it's too much, too soon, to be hearing it every week.. whereas, were it to be only on select occasions they could point to, it'd last longer in memory, and really get them going, the next time 'round. This is why I thought that at the season's beginning and end—also perhaps for every playoff and/or cup game—they could reserve anthems for then; in moderation, I think it could really be something special, and as it should be.

That said, I can understand someone maybe preferring to build a tradition of singing it every time.. but, as said, it's just not for me, and for the reasons above; I'd personally love belting it out, as I'm sure many fans do, but to ensure it always means something to all involved, maybe finding a middle ground would make it special for the players, as well as only enhancing the effect on those of whom it never gets old for.

I wonder if there's ever been a thought to break out the national anthem during games—perhaps near the end (to space things out)—if only to engage the crowd with something surely familiar for all. Don't really follow the club, but I always admired the camaraderie shown by Liverpool supporters, to sing "YNWA" towards the conclusion of a match, win, lose or draw. If the anthem could be used to similar affect, then this more organic approach could blossom nicely, as away from how the club now instructs every one to raise their scarves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    it has happened.
    one of the last home games this year the bunker belted it out.
    Did it catch on with the rest of the crowd, towards the end?

I don't remember hearing it, so I'm thinking it didn't (unfortunately).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it did in the south end.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    it did in the south end.
    Last post on the subject.. but, I feel like it has potential, the way Dicho24 gets picked up by casuals (if not every one of them).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God those Man City ripoffs are atrocious. No wonder some people think we're a mickey mouse league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    God those Man City ripoffs are atrocious. No wonder some people think we're a mickey mouse league.
    To be fair, the black change kits are nice.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The away kits look pretty bad as well. Maybe I'm just jaded because the corinthians kits I've seen look like a much better concept to build on.

Adidas just can't work outside of their box for designing a kit. Anytime they try to do something creative it always ends up looking awful.

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Yes!!!!!
    Would fucking love the Toronto flag on our kit... I'm not even from Toronto but that would look sick... Not on the sleeve ... Back of the neck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The purple Orlando City jerseys are hot as hell. Wow.

As for the flag talks. I'd rather have the city's flag instead of the national flag.
    Last edited by Hieberrr; 11-27-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see the Toronto Flag incorporated in the jerseys. I remember a few years ago Inter Milan whites had the Red Cross of Saint George on the front

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    Nice
    I normally hate gradients on a jersey, but that fade-out effect doesn't look too bad.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    That is a seriously nice jersey. When the wife and I move to victoria we may have to pick up one of those. That being said..the 2013-2014 Red TFC jersey with the leaf on it is maybe one of my favorite Jersey's ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see the Toronto Flag incorporated in the jerseys. I remember a few years ago Inter Milan whites had the Red Cross of Saint George on the front

That'd be a good idea. And no more maple leafs front and centre, it's really became cliche and I don't think it speaks to what the city is about - especially doesn't make sense when there's two other Canadian teams (who see no need to use that type of imagery).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    That'd be a good idea. And no more maple leafs front and centre, it's really became cliche and I don't think it speaks to what the city is about - especially doesn't make sense when there's two other Canadian teams (who see no need to use that type of imagery).
    i beg to differ, montreal use the fleur-de-lis, and vancouver use a bunch of diamonds.
    i think if we can't incorporate the maple leaf tastefully then it's a wash, but i have no problem openly advertising that we're canadas team. even if their are two other canadian clubs in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am personaly not a fan of putting the Maple Leaf on team jerseys, Case in point the Calgary Flames withy the Canadian Flag on one arm and the Alberta flag on the other arm. Kind of Dumb if you ask me. Put the symbol of Toronto on that jersey, that symbolises Toronto.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red Bulls is amazing. Seattle is good. Montreal is boring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red Bulls kits always look the same but this is the nicest of their usual haha! I like the use of more red in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am personaly not a fan of putting the Maple Leaf on team jerseys, Case in point the Calgary Flames withy the Canadian Flag on one arm and the Alberta flag on the other arm. Kind of Dumb if you ask me. Put the symbol of Toronto on that jersey, that symbolises Toronto.
    Absolutely. I am a Flames fan and I think that kind of faux patriotism is tacky. Why does Calgary need to show where its from via the flags? Do they not know where they are or do other teams not know where they are? Another question is: Who cares?

Having the maple leaf as a symbol (not a flag) on the jersey is a bit different and speaks more the culture of place and we DO live in maple territory. It's a nice image and I quite liked last season's jersey and would love to see that motif return. The Whitecaps diamond is a nice look and they've played it well and we could continue to do use the maple leaf in the same way. Still. to the point made earlier in the post, the maple leaf is more of a Canadian symbol than one that embodies Toronto so it's not necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TFC View Post
    Red Bulls kits always look the same but this is the nicest of their usual haha! I like the use of more red in it.
    The Red Bulls use of a consistent image has really made it a strong brand. It's a great look and I quite appreciate when clubs can maintain a good, consistent look over time and still keep modern. Few clubs can do that or try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait for new TFC jersey is killing me. No one with insight even have a clue how or when TFC jersey will be out. Hopefully there will be an event for fans to showcase new kit for this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of symbols we could use, it seems like a bit of a stretch but when I first saw the II in TFC 2's logo, I thought of Princes' Gate. How about paying homage to Exhibition Grounds, which hosts our team, through use of Prince's or Dufferein Gate. Admittedly, most Torontonians might not instantly get the reference (which would be a significant problem) and non-Torontonians might mistake it for St Louis' monument (though Dufferin actually predates it) - but I'd personally love it and think you can use that feature in many different ways on a design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Speaking of symbols we could use, it seems like a bit of a stretch but when I first saw the II in TFC 2's logo, I thought of Princes' Gate. How about paying homage to Exhibition Grounds, which hosts our team, through use of Prince's or Dufferein Gate. Admittedly, most Torontonians might not instantly get the reference (which would be a significant problem) and non-Torontonians might mistake it for St Louis' monument (though Dufferin actually predates it) - but I'd personally love it and think you can use that feature in many different ways on a design.
    CN Tower (or city skyline in general) or City Hall should be used as symbols to represent Toronto. It's what most people in the city can relate Toronto to in terms of symbol. Dufferein and Princes' Gate don't mean much these days to Torontonians. So it will be a waste to use those as symbol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    CN Tower (or city skyline in general) or City Hall should be used as symbols to represent Toronto. It's what most people in the city can relate Toronto to in terms of symbol. Dufferein and Princes' Gate don't mean much these days to Torontonians. So it will be a waste to use those as symbol.
    I don't disagree - like I said, most Torontonians have no clue what they are. That said, one of Philly's most popular jerseys commemorates a team that noone other than soccer nerds know, so it's not to say that that is a must. I guess one issue with CN Tower is that it looks exactly like the Seattle Needle - but maybe it shouldn't be about differentiation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For TFC, the team's home kit would look decent copying either the new Sounders or Orlando City home templates.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will TFC have a new home jersey this year or no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland leak